LisaM271970 Introduction

LisaM271970

I've been on anti-depressants for 18 years. Currently on 60 mg of Cymbalta. 5 years ago, tried to taper off Cymbalta, it was a disaster. I had resigned to take it forever since I was afraid to stop and the withdrawal and my doctor convinced me I need it. I've worked up to trying again and realize that the taper must be much more gradual and prolonged.  I was just about to push purchase on $200+ of supplements to help start my taper when I found this website. I'm planning on seeing my doctor on the 19th to let him know I'm starting this taper off of Cymbalta, I'm not expecting him to be supportive of this.  My plan is the decrease by 5% every time last decrease feels ok.  I admit that in the end I may need an anti-depressant but it won't be this one.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

1998 - started on Prozac following a divorce, 2000 - switched to Wellbutrin,2006 - tried Effexor for 1 week - turned into a zombie - back to Wellbutrin,2007 - switched to Cymbalta 60 mg, 2011 - tried to taper off, too quick, major withdrawal, back to Cym 60 mg, 2012 - successfully tapered to 30 mg, 2015 - back to 60 mg

2016 - I cannot stay on this, ready to try again with a careful and prolonged taper from 60 mg Cymbalta...

17APR16 - 1st reduction of Cymbalta (now 54.6 mg) begins

01MAY16 - 2nd reduction - 51.9 mg - Cymbalta, 15MAY16 - 3rd reduction - 48.8 mg - Cymbalta, 29MAY16 - 4th reduction - 45.3 mg - Cymbalta

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Welcome Lisa so glad you found sa.

Many people here have been on these drugs for many years too, held hostage to a doctor  who simply has maintained a drug dependancy and clueless as to what they are doing and peddling. But with slow tapering they are managing to have a life and get their life back and im sure you can too.

Dont buy into the 'tailoring hypothesis'- 'i may need a different antidepressant', you are doing erroneous doctor speak.

Kirsch's research found  there are no differences between them.

"If the differences between antidepressant and placebo are small. The differences between one antidepressant and another are virtually non-existent." 

'The Emperor's new drugs' Kirsch p95

Your 5% taper (of the previous dose  until stable waiting at least a month? ) idea sounds very wise.

Good luck with the  consultation.

If you havent already read this it could be insightful

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Are you able to do a drug sig to help the mods.

Oh yeah one more thing what is critical in getting off these drugs well is not the supplements but the taper.

There is a great info here about supplements recommendations.

You might like to read about  fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivinganti...acids-fish-oil/
http://survivinganti...hannel-blocker/

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you so much for the reply and the info.  I will think back on the different meds and dosages and work out a signature.  Again thank you...I am feeling hopeful :)

1998 - started on Prozac following a divorce, 2000 - switched to Wellbutrin,2006 - tried Effexor for 1 week - turned into a zombie - back to Wellbutrin,2007 - switched to Cymbalta 60 mg, 2011 - tried to taper off, too quick, major withdrawal, back to Cym 60 mg, 2012 - successfully tapered to 30 mg, 2015 - back to 60 mg

2016 - I cannot stay on this, ready to try again with a careful and prolonged taper from 60 mg Cymbalta...

01MAY16 - 2nd reduction - 51.9 mg - Cymbalta, 15MAY16 - 3rd reduction - 48.8 mg - Cymbalta, 29MAY16 - 4th reduction - 45.3 mg - Cymbalta

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lisa and welcome to SA,

Really pleased that you have found this site.  The members are supportive and encouraging and there is a wealth of excellent information here.  To search this site it is best to use a search engine and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic

Before you see your doctor it is a good idea to do some reading so that you are informed and know how to talk to your doctor.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is by Irving Kirsch who NZ mentioned above:

Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect by Irving Kirsch (link to full article)

Abstract:

Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain.  Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory.  But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect.  Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin.  Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit.  Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind.  The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong.  Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future.

Excerpt:

How Did These Drugs Get Approved?
The FDA requires two adequately conducted clinical trials showing a significant difference between drug and placebo.  But there is a loophole:  there is no limit to the number of trials that can be conducted in search of these two significant trials.  Trials showing negative results simply do not count.  Furthermore, the clinical significance of the findings is not considered.  All that matters is that the results are statistically significant.
(NB:  emphasis in abstract and excerpt are mine)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This Intro/Update topic is where you ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  It's also a good idea to keep your signature updated as you taper with date, drug and dose so that it can be seen at a glance.  Also as you taper keep notes on paper of your symptoms so that if issues arise you can give the details and the mods can assess the situation and offer suggestions.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Lisa! And welcome SA. I too am trying to taper off cymbalta and have had the same disastrous experiences with it in the past. Just recently in fact, while trying to switch to another SSRI. I found this site at just the right time. As did you. Something that has helped me through this process is to consider this whole experience an awakening. A coming BACK to life, if you will. I reinstated cymbalta at a lower dose, and it is amazing the feelings I'm having again. Emotions I haven't experienced in a long time. It is equal parts exhilarating and overwhelming, I won't lie. I was a zombie before, when I was at the higher dose. I now realize just how much the drugs blunted my emotions. It is a learning process, or relearning process really, but one I am glad to be going through. You will get better, your body just needs time to adjust. Dr. Glenmullens' checklist, that Chessie provided a link to above, is great to have and do daily. It keeps things in perspective and helps to provide an overview about how you are doing day-to-day. I highly reccommend it!

Welcome!

Currently reinstated Cymbalta(Mar 17,2016) after experiencing withdrawal while switching to Viibryd. Reinstated Cymbalta at 20mg QD.

1999 200mg Zoloft

2010 0mg Zoloft 60mg Cymbalta

2015 60mg Cymbalta 150mg Seroquel 100mg Topamax

Mar. 2016 20mg Cymbalta. 30mg Viibryd doing a quick taper 150mg Seroquel

April 1, 2016 off viibryd, 20mg Cymbalta, 150mg Seroquel

GI & Cardiac meds:

40mg pantoprazole QD

Also take 75mg plavix QD, 3.125mg carvedilol BID, and 81mg aspirin QD.

ChessieCat and purcy51 - THANK YOU BOTH!

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Ordered and received a 20g scale this week.  Just finished preparing 14 pills for my 1st 5% reduction.  It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be but got it done.  Surprisingly, the starting weight of the 60 mg capsules varies greatly.  All I can do is my best to get these reductions right but I figure it will be just as accurate as what Eli Lilly is putting out lol.  I figure it will take until August 2017 to be done completely and that's only if all goes well at 5% (from original) tapers every two weeks.  My husband took the time to listen and understand what I am trying to do and is being very supportive (even helped me with the frustration of reworking the capsules this morning).  Tomorrow is day 1 of the journey off this crap. :)

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Hi Lisa.   Welcome.   It seems that you did find us at the right time .  You sound determined to get off the drugs. That is the main thing , right now.

Were you having symptoms?    What is your reason for wanting off ?

C.C has given you all the pertinent links . Have a read and see what you think , particularly the ones about talking to your Doctor. You only need him , for your script. You seem to have a balanced/ realistic outlook , on the time frame , for this.

I think that attitude , will serve you well . Good luck , with Day 1.  Let us know how you go .  

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Ali,

When I read through the possible side-effects of Cymbalta, I believe I have quite a few.  Most notably, tension, everywhere, especially my neck, jaw and hands.  I'm grinding my teeth.  I have to concentrate in order to relax or else my "natural state" is tense...and irritable.  Plus, I worry about the long term effects. 

I decided last week that I'm not even going to tell my doctor what I'm doing with the tapering.  I will monitor myself carefully.

Thanks so much for your post!

Lisa

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

• 2 weeks later...

Was feeling pretty good, until today.  No brain zaps or anything severe but feeling down, confused, unable to focus and very irritable.  Trying to remember that it's because of withdrawal, not depression, and that "this too shall pass".  I'm not giving up.  My plan was to taper again on Sunday but I will stay where I'm at until this levels out.  For the record..this is bs, still have a hard time wrapping my head around that this is so easily prescribed and the majority of Dr's know nothing about the withdrawal.

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Was feeling pretty good, until today.  No brain zaps or anything severe but feeling down, confused, unable to focus and very irritable.  Trying to remember that it's because of withdrawal, not depression, and that "this too shall pass".  I'm not giving up.  My plan was to taper again on Sunday but I will stay where I'm at until this levels out.  For the record..this is bs, still have a hard time wrapping my head around that this is so easily prescribed and the majority of Dr's know nothing about the withdrawal.

Hi Lisa,

I know how you are feeling, I experienced it as well for a bit after I reinstated cymbalta at 20mg. I was taking 60mg prior to that. I still get waves of that irritability/feeloing down but it is passing much quicker now. I tell you this to give you hope. It will get better! I think it is a good idea on holding where you are until you are stable. No need to rush!

Currently reinstated Cymbalta(Mar 17,2016) after experiencing withdrawal while switching to Viibryd. Reinstated Cymbalta at 20mg QD.

1999 200mg Zoloft

2010 0mg Zoloft 60mg Cymbalta

2015 60mg Cymbalta 150mg Seroquel 100mg Topamax

Mar. 2016 20mg Cymbalta. 30mg Viibryd doing a quick taper 150mg Seroquel

April 1, 2016 off viibryd, 20mg Cymbalta, 150mg Seroquel

GI & Cardiac meds:

40mg pantoprazole QD

Also take 75mg plavix QD, 3.125mg carvedilol BID, and 81mg aspirin QD.

Hi Lisa,

I know how you are feeling, I experienced it as well for a bit after I reinstated cymbalta at 20mg. I was taking 60mg prior to that. I still get waves of that irritability/feeloing down but it is passing much quicker now. I tell you this to give you hope. It will get better! I think it is a good idea on holding where you are until you are stable. No need to rush!

Thanks purcy51, after writing my post I took an Omega and Vitamin E and went for a walk.  I already feel better.  Thanks for the encouragement!

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Feeling good, decided to start 2nd reduction. (5%, now at 54 g)  Getting to be a pro with the scale - open capsule, pour out some granules, reweigh, add or lose more granules until capsule/granule weight is good to three decimal places, ex. 0.386.  Did 14 capsules (two weeks worth) in less than 15 minutes.  I know I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms (some good, some bad) but very minor,especially in comparison to five years ago when I tapered way too quickly (one month, this taper will take over a year).

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

Hi Lisa,

Well done on having such a great taper plan from the get go.

You might like to consider tweaking it a little. It appears you are intending to drop by  5% of the original (60mg) dose each time.

Were you aware that this site recommends you drop by % of the previous dose (this is informed by the SERT study)...each successive dose drop then gets smaller. (about 6 yrs of tapering to get to 1mg at this rate waiting 4 weeks between drops).

Heres the thing you may be fine for a while doing what you are doing but it may come back to bite you later on down the track as the two methods start to diverge from each other.

At this early stage of the game you say you are already having withdrawal symptoms 'some bad' as such maybe consider holding for the 4 weeks minimum  and do the 5% of original dose. You are already onto it though by deciding to hold for longer.

There is no race here.

After 18 yrs use and a height of 60 mg, expecting to get off with 1-2 yr taper may be rushing it.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Lisa,

Just popping in to say welcome as I hadn't been to you thread yet.

Glad to see things are going well for you this time round.  That's an amazing speed you have with weighing.  I sometimes have a good run of say half an hour for 14 pills, but sometimes it's awful and takes double that.  Lately when it's going well I just keep weighing more, since I'm on a roll, and if it's not working out well, I only do a few. 

Wishing you well,

Karen

EDIT:  Good catch NZ :)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

At this early stage of the game you say you are already having withdrawal symptoms 'some bad' as such maybe consider holding for the 4 weeks minimum  and do the 5% of original dose. You are already onto it though by deciding to hold for longer.

correction....oops i meant to say previous dose not original dose....oh boy!

I'm confusing myself now ...easily done.

apologies.

I thought there was something fishy in that post!

Edit: thanks KarenB

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 weeks later...

Started my third taper last Sunday.  So far so good.  Each time I feel mild manageable withdrawal symptoms the first week and then things level out the next.  I'm eating a HFLC diet and treating myself right with supplements, sleep, water, walking and sunshine which I'm sure is helping.  "All the feelings" are starting to come back, as in, I think I'm coming back to myself - what an amazing feeling.  I understand this is going to be a roller coaster ride but so hopeful that I'll be off of this stuff in a year.

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth Taper started on Sunday.  Major observation - Over the last few years, I have broken two fillings from grinding my teeth during the day when I'm not wearing a bite guard for sleeping.  I am no longer grinding my teeth.  The changes so far have been amazing - this is huge.

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

• 1 month later...

7th taper last Sunday, now at 34.2 mg - almost halfway there.  Still feeling great, thinking this might actually work, also thinking that if I don't feel different the Cymbalta probably wasn't "helping" me.  I'm going to take a "break" for the next three weeks and maintain this dose.  Still trying to follow a ketogenic diet which I believe is also helping.  Mental clarity and energy are really good.

12JUN16 - 41.7

26JUN16 - 38.0

10JUL16 - 34.2

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lisa!  Thanks for the update. It's great to hear that your taper is going well and that you're using your symptoms to guide your dose cuts rather than a calendar. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet