Chris14: My battle against Efexor

Chris14

• Moderator Emeritus

Am I interpreting your posts correctly -- you say this started occurring 3 days ago?

A few questions for you:

1. Did you make a dose change in the last 10-14 days?
  2. Did you make any other change -- a new supplement, another medication?
  3. When do you take the methyphenidate listed in your signature?
  4. Do you consume alcohol or street drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris14

• SquirrellyGirl

• mammaP

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Scallyway!

I'll try to answer the questions fully, here we go:

1. Did you make a dose change in the last 10-14 days?

The day before I started having these symptoms (feeling down at around 6am) i decided to, instead of taking my dosage in the morning, take it before I go to sleep to lessen the sometimes terrible morning feelings. I'm feeling a lot better in the morning now, and during the day aswell. Only the effects start to wean off, and usually around 6. This then lasts for about 1-2 hours, mainly because i allow myself not to focus too much on it. I have not made any dosage change whatsoever.

1. Did you make any other change -- a new supplement, another medication?

For about 2 weeks now, i've been taking Calcium (400mg), magnesium (300mg) and zinc (10mg), these are all combined in 1 pill, the osteocare original. Besides this, i've also started taking omega 3 fish oil (1000mg) 2 weeks ago, both on a daily basis.

1. When do you take the methyphenidate listed in your signature?

Usually 10 mg as soon as i wake up, then another 10 mg about 3-4 hours later, and sometimes another 10 about 3-4 hours later if i have to study or need concentration.

1. Do you consume alcohol or street drugs?

I do consume alcohol, and have been doing so all throughout my usage of the Venlafaxine. At least every weekend when I go out and sometimes during weekdays if there's a football match on. Street drugs: the occasional cocaine, but the last time i've done this is at least 4 months ago, no further usage of drugs for me anymore. 

I hope this information is sufficient and look back to hearing from you!

Greets,

Chris

Took 37,5 mg of efexor for 2,5 years. In january 2016 i quit cold turkey for 3 months, then reinstated 1mg. Right now i'm taking 2mg of efexor daily, as well as 25 mg methylphenidate

• Moderator Emeritus

Responding back to your answers to my numbered questions:

1. It makes sense that you'd feel something after changing the time of your dose. Symptoms like this can diminish with more time.

2. You may want to find another supplement that contains only magnesium and save the cal-mag-zinc combination for once you're off all neuroactive medications.

3. Thanks for that information about how you take methylphenidate. Please add the frequency of that dosing to your signature,
    e.g. 2 x daily + 1 more if needed.

4. Imagine what I'm going to suggest about alcohol and cocaine. ;)  Yes, that's right, you may want to avoid it altogether until you are safely and successfully tapered off venlafaxine/effexor.  Some people find it difficult socially, but if friends are truly our friends they'll support our intentions and actions to be healthy.

All that said, give your CNS (central nervous system) a week or two to get used to the new time that you take the 2 mg Effexor. Keep track of your symptoms on paper.

Take notes of doses and symptoms

Let us know how things are going for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

So, another update from me after what has been quite a downer of a month. I'm still studying abroad in England, something which has not made my life easier at times due to the lack of true friends and people to talk to. I do not feel social and ready to go out like I used to, most of the times I just want to sit in my room and be by myself. I've been giving serious thought to reinstating a higher dose instead of the 2mg i'm on now as this is not working for me. Some days are good, most of them not so. I've been trying to create a steady rhythm in my day to day activities yet always find myself unable to get up, unable to go out and socialize and unable to do proper homework. Sometimes i think some people (like me) just need AD's in order to function properly without feelings of social anxiety. 

I'm not stressed out about university work at all, I know i'll manage and I know i'll pass my classes. I'm more worried about the fact that I myself as a person am slowly falling further and further down into a tunnel of social awkwardness, whereas before I always was ready to go and meet friends and do fun activities and I think that was the main thing that has kept me going ever since i decided to quit the AD's, almost a year ago.

I'm terrible at writing weekly updates as well so sorry about that

Greetings,

Chris 

Took 37,5 mg of efexor for 2,5 years. In january 2016 i quit cold turkey for 3 months, then reinstated 1mg. Right now i'm taking 2mg of efexor daily, as well as 25 mg methylphenidate

• Moderator Emeritus

For how long have you been on 2mg?  (More dates/details in your signature would help us mods a lot - thanks). 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I've been on the 2mg for about 6 months now so quite a long time. Any suggestions on what to do in my current situation?

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your symptoms, Chris? Please post your notes from the last few days.

If you aren't tracking your symptoms, please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log: Take notes of doses and symptoms

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, it's me again. The last couple of years I've been doing okay on the 37.5 mg, I ridden managed to travel south America on my own for 5 months with relative ease.  I had occasional side effects where I had a big headache and had trouble focusing and making good conversation. After I got home, about 5 weeks ago, the side effects kept increasing. I was getting tremors in my jaw frequently, lots of headaches where I found it impossible to concentrate and sometimes uncontrollable shaking of my body. Went to my doctor and we decided to up the dosage of venlafaxine to 75 mg about 2 weeks ago.. since then I've had a couple of good days (one really good) but most of em have been ****. I wake up and feel fine, then about an hour or 2 later the headaches creep in, my jaw starts trembling and I just wanna lie down and do nothing. Before I was having doubts about the origin of the headaches but by now I'm pretty sure it's being caused by the medication and taking a higher dosage has worsened it so far. I really want to get rid of these side effects and am now considering switching to a different antidepressant. I hope you guys have some suggestions or even stories about your own experiences that could be helpful. Overall I'm still in a pretty good mood and optimistic but I need to start doing something before the side effects really start to change the way I feel. 

Greetings,

Chris

Just realised my last post when I was still trying to get off the venlafaxine! That obviously didn't work and I reinstated on 37.5 mg, to a pretty good overall effect (besides the headaches and inability to concentrate and socialize at times, this really bothered me) I'm hoping there's a medication out there that can get me on the same level of feel-good but one where I also don't have to fear for these 'episodes' where I'm basically a different human being. 

Hi chris ,from my experience I wouldn't be too hasty in regards jumping to another antidepressant ,you say you overall feel good ,this is a pretty good state to be in with regards these drugs.

I jumped from 37.5 venalafxine to 4.5 Prozac in December and im house bound with a  zero life .I was desperate so that's why I tried the switch.i would not of done the switch if I knew this misery im living was in store for me.

please think long and careful before changing drugs.the fact your on 75mg Effexor complicates things [its only been 2 weeks].

A moderator needs to give you there opinion on all this.

The fact its only been 5 weeks since your back from your travels ,you could be dealing with a natural drop in your mood because of being on such a high while traveling .

I have a question about the ritillan your taking .does this help you?.what form does your ADHD take ?.sorry for the questions but im realising the last few months im probably living with undiagnosed ADHD my whole life and im actually thinking of going on Ritalin myself but the misery im living is preventing me going on Ritalin but I  mite try it .im aware this site doesn't condone   drug talk or recommendations  because its a site for going off meds but I'm trying to get some advice myself from people that have ADHD .its only lately I realised ADHD takes the form of low concentration ,I presumed it was all about being over active and cant sit still.

Thanks and take care.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.