SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Thanks but I didn't do anything special. In fact, what I did isn't advised. I just rotated them taking one at bedtime when I first went on them last December when all of this happened and I had insanely high nighttime cortisol. After my cortisol dropped and the anxiety left, I didn't need benzos/sleep meds anymore. I'm also down to 2.5 mg of Mirtz. Being on that only 7 months, I might jump off. Again, not advised.

This whole mess isn't who we are. We aren't drug addicts. We are fathers, mothers, business people or whatever. We were given meds to treat something probably minor. We took our dose as directed. Then cause we didn't know better we hopped off. Then we became pathetic, panicked souls trying to figure out what to do to get our lives back. Reinstating, sleep meds, whatever. At least I am getting closer to me being off most of the meds. Though what's left of me is not the high functioning traveling salesman/father. Hopefully I can get some of that back. Looks like you are Bruin! Terribly happy for you.

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Christian, you scare me - 2.5 mg Mirt when in June you were on 15?  That's scary fast!

I am hustling off the Mirt due to grossly raised cholesterol and anemia which I believe are caused by Mirt, but even then I am doing maybe 15% per month and doing well with that.

Bruin, it is nice to read you are doing relatively well now and clearly are in control of your destiny with regards to these meds.  I feel the same way, that I am in the driver's seat and know that symptoms could arise from cuts but that they are not a mystery if they do happen.  I think it will be smooth sailing for you here on out!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Good to hear from you SG thanks for stopping by my thread and for the cheering on. Very much appreciated. 

I know that sometimes there will be steps backwards and that recovery is not linear.....but am with the same group of friends that I was with 

this time last year and can track that I have made some progress in that time. This is encouraging. 

Glad that you are in the driving seat....the best place to be ! 

All the Very Best 

Bruin

Anti Depressants for  25 years. Valium between 2006 to 7 tapered off over a month without too bad withdrawals.

For last 15 years 150 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Occasional short term benzo use without habituation.

March 2015 stopped Effexor after rapid taper. 6 weeks. 

One month fluoxetine June 2015...stopped CT July 2015.

October 2013 to December 2015 Zopiclone 15 mg at night,

Dec 2015 to Early March 2016 Lyrica 75 mg at night. 

Stopped too quickly as  adverse side effects.

January to May 2016 tapered Zopiclone to 7.5mg 

Crossed over to Valium and now ..March 28th 2017 Benzo Free.

Also on 30 mg Mirtazapine and holding until have finished Benzo taper.

IN protracted WD from Effexor.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to ask a question ...I am thinking about getting a flu shot as am going on a long haul flight and am frightened 

about picking up a virus from being in a confined space for so long......However am concerned that getting the shot 

maybe destabilising......Would welcome any wisdom on this subject.....All good wishes to all ...Bruin

Anti Depressants for  25 years. Valium between 2006 to 7 tapered off over a month without too bad withdrawals.

For last 15 years 150 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Occasional short term benzo use without habituation.

I've been getting them the past several years and have not had any problems. They do make my arm sore for a day or two. Hope you have a great trip.  I have several coming up and can't wait to get going.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brassmonkey and hope you have a great time too ! 

I had one a couple of weeks ago, as in previous years, with no apparent odd effects.

On Effexor, too, 162.5mg just now.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Hi Peng.....Thanks Very Much.......glad you are tapering Effexor slowly....I pretty much cold turkeyed it...not to be advised.! 

All the Best.

Bruin. You might like to read through this :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4976-flu-shots-and-other-vaccines/

Have a great trip. :)

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Very Helpful Ali......Thank You ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Bruin.

I wanted to thank you for the kind posts you've left on my thread and to wish you well on your trip.

I don't have any experience with getting a flu shot during withdrawal, but I hope if you do, it doesn't affect your recovery and you're able to travel. 

Also, don't forget the importance of getting plenty of nutritious food including foods with vitamin C for your immunity. That's important, too.  It's easy to get off track with diet and sleep on trips, so please take good care of yourself. I know we sound like a bunch of over-protective mothers around here, but it's because we care. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

Hey Bruin--  I just remembered, I frequently take a zinc lozenge before getting on a plane. Their great for reducing the chance of catching something.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you BM.......I take Zinc but will get some lozenges for the flight ! 

Thanks Shep.........it feels good to be cared for...beyond good...completely vital in this rather gruelling process.

Sometimes it is hard to self care and get all the good nutrients in. I do juice quite a lot but am going to do the smoothie thing too

I am feeling the Benzo Taper  a bit so need to be kind to myself.

Lotos of healing vibes back to you too ! 

Bruin

• 1 month later...

Pleased that the BMA, British Medical Association is recognising the damage caused by Psychiatric drugs and there are calls for a 24 hour helpline.

Am sure this will take an age to institute but it would be an absolute lifesaver. Definitely something I would sign up for as a volunteer.

• 1 month later...

Hey Bruin. Happy New Year . I want to thank you for the encouragement & support offered on my thread. I really appreciate that.

How was your trip ?  I hope it went well.

You haven't done an update recently so I'm not sure how you are doing but I assume the silence means you're coasting along nicely. I know you're active on the Benzo thread but I rarely get there.   :blush:

Wishing you much healing & happiness in 2017.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you AliG  and very Happy New Year to you too........I am glad I did the trips but they have rather worn me out.

I am mainly posting on the Benzo Thread because am tapering Valium but know I am still affected by the Effexor and Lyrica 

rapid tapers. I keep hoping I will wake up feeling myself again but have a feeling that this is going to be a long 

journey which will take patience, stamina and courage. I am not really able to work and the mornings are tough.

The most difficult thing I find is to maintain a positive attitude .... I do know deep down that I will Heal but wish I had 

a date !......The worst of the DP/DR has gone and I am getting a bit more sleep but the neuro emotions, fatigue and 

agoraphobia are still pronounced.  

May 2017 be wonderful and happy one for you Ali G.........

• 2 weeks later...

Bruin, I wish you also a nice year 2017 and hope that you feel already better overally.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thank you Martina........and may 2017 be a wonderful year for you with health and creativity.

• 1 month later...

I mainly post in the Benzo section at the moment because it is the taper which I am actively engaged in. Down to 1 mg Valium...Hooray ! 

I am coming up to 2 years post an Effexor CT........well a taper of 6 weeks...essentially a CT. 

I do not think that I am completely healed from that trauma but some symptoms are vastly improved. 

I am not planning to approach Mirtazapine until I am well clear of the Valium. I feel like I need a rest from tapering after the last couple of years. 

I know that no psych drugs are good but my experience of Mirt has not been nearly as bad as that with Effexor. 

I have been on it a hell of a long time....over 15 years. I do hope coming off will not be too hard. I feel pretty sure that it is no longer effective ,

but imagine that my brain is completely habituated it to it for functioning.

Anyhow am not dealing with that today ........First task is to heal from my brush with Benzos.