SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Wilting's Akathisia Nightmare

Wilting

I want to share my story here... I only wish I had done it last autumn, may be someone would have warned me then about the danger...and now it's too late...

I'm a 39 y,o. woman living in Eastern Europe. Several years ago I "diagnosed" myself as very depressed using (I think) Beck's depression scale etc. in the books. Now it's glaringly obvious to me that my "depression" was caused by physical health problems, a lack of adequate rest and outside circumstances (job- and society-related) and antidepressants were NOT the way to go...

So in 2010 I started taking Paxil, took it for 3 months and had to stop because it gave me IBS. I'd read it somewhere that withdrawal from it could be difficult but I got off relatively easily. In the next months my psychiatrist had me take Melitor, Amitryptiline and Clofranil one after the other; I shudder at the thought now, but I was able to take them then with some, but not significant side effects. I thought I "needed" the medication, and this belief was supported by the assurances in the materials I've read that some people need to take ADs for a long time. I thought of them as medication!

In 2012, after a few months' break, the psychiatrist prescribed venlafaxine. Which I took for 3 years! I can't believe my own stupidity now... What was I thinking??? I did read that it was hard to get off of, like Paxil, but since I got off Paxil I thought I'd have no problem getting off Venlafaxine too...Even though I felt progressively tired and joyless, I thought I'd feel too bad without it. Besides, it was hard to reduce the dosage: even a 1/16th cut made me feel sick for a few days. But I thought I'd get off by the end of 2015.

However, in October 2015 I fell ill with IBS, loss of appetite, nausea and terrible anxiety the likes of which I'd never had before: it was as if every thought, every object was terrifying! I couldn't watch TV, even cartoons, or listen to the music, or do much except for lying in bed, almost paralyzed with fear, with shaking legs and arms.

After a while, I thought that venlafaxine was the problem and decided to stop taking it, even though the psychiatrist was baffled and said Iwas just too sensitive to it. So I tapered it as I could in 3 weeks and got also hit with withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, dizziness), which, however, subsided after a few weeks.

However, the rest of the symptoms persisted for 2 months; I found another psychiatrist who prescribed mirtazapine; and though I didn't want to take another andidepressant at first, I caved in and started taking it at 15 mg in December. I believe that was the second biggest mistake in my life after deciding to take any ADs at all! But I was told it would relieve my anxiety and bring my appetite back.

My anxiety lessened and the appetite returned (too much of it, in fact, I started overeating), but I felt very tired all the time and my muscles trembled. So I started tapering it in February and by 1 March I got to 3,75 mg. And on 1st of March I got up in the morning and felt I wanted to run to and fro and stomp my feet! I couldn't sit still, or lie down. Terrified, I started searching for the symptoms and found out it was akathisia. And unfortunately, I got the severe form. I have to pace to and fro all the time, wring and shake my hands, shake my head, kick my legs, I can't stay seated and I have to type and eat when standing; and I can't concentrate on anything, when I take a cup to drink I take a sip, put it down and I have to walk away and then come back etc. My sleep is awful, I get a few hours now, 5 at most, mostly it's about 3 - and I don't know how I'm still alive, I'd always needed 7-8! And this horrible relentless agitation, which doesn't let go of me even for a minute... And my skin burns in different places all day long, and mu muscles have this kind of itch which makes me move them all the time! I can't cook, or go shopping, or go outside at all except for a few minutes because I need to move this way all the time or I feel even worse!

And when I strated searching for help I found out to my horror there were no specific medications to treat akathisia, and the ones that are suggested can aggravate it! I also found a lot of information on psychiatry that I wish I'd found before all this... but now it's too late to be useful to me... I don't know what to do, my case isnt' typical unlike most people who get akathisia from neuroleptics... I stopped taking mirtazapine on 6 March but the akathisia continues in full force... I think of killing myself every few minutes, if only I had known that Ads could cause something like that I would have stayed the hell away from them!!!

Edited by scallywag
chessie cat: Added lines between some paragraphs; scallywag: tags added

2010-2012: paxil, melitor, amitriptilyne, clofranil

2012-2015: venlafaxine 150 mg - to 85 mg - tapered from 85 mg to 0 in 3 weeks till October 20, 2015

Dec 15 - 6 March 2016: mirtazapine 15 mg to 3,75 mg, jumped to 0 on 6 March

1 March 2016 - now: horrible akathisia!

Forgot to write... I understand now that my reaction to venlafaxine  last autumn - horrible anxiety - was the beginning of tardive akathisia and if I hadn't started taking mirtazapine it may have lessened by now... I was definitely more functional then, but now I'm screwed!!

I tried propranolol at 80 mg but it didn't work...

2012-2015: venlafaxine 150 mg - to 85 mg - tapered from 85 mg to 0 in 3 weeks till October 20, 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Wilting , I'm so sorry to read this. Thank you for articulating so beautifully the experience of akatisia ,

something I've been too afraid really to try and put into words

"So I started tapering it in February and by 1 March I got to 3,75 mg. And on 1st of March I got up in the morning and felt I wanted to run to and fro and stomp my feet!"

Are you still taking 3.75mg mirtazapine? Have you considered updosing to the last dose you were stable on to see if you get any symptom relief?

Thank you for letting me know you saw my video ... I hope it helps to know you WILL recover from this. I haven't been like that for 20 months now.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Wilting, my heart goes out to you. I've been hospitalized twice for akathisia years ago when I was on the older antipsychotics, although I believe the SSRIs can do as much harm with this symptom.

For me, it was like my soul was literally being ripped out of me and I was spinning and falling and constantly moving. It wasn't just about moving and pacing, that was the end result of the torment. I literally wanted to die. 

But it wasn't permanent. Not at all. And I'm really glad I held onto life. 

Akathisia is the worst psychiatric drug symptom I've ever experienced, but again, it went away. I hope you get some relief very soon from this. It truly does get better in time. 

Fresh, I've seen your video and thank you for sharing it so people know what it's like. You are a great spokesperson and advocate. 

Are you still taking 3.75mg mirtazapine? Have you considered updosing to the last dose you were stable on to see if you get any symptom relief?

Thank you for letting me know you saw my video ... I hope it helps to know you WILL recover from this. I haven't been like that for 20 months now.

Best wishes , Fresh

Fresh, I stopped taking 3,75 of mirtazapine on 6 March. (The Akathisia started on 1 March).

I tried to go back on mirtazapine for 2 days in late March but it did nothing.

Wilting and Fresh, my heart goes out to both of you. I've been hospitalized twice for akathisia years ago when I was on the older antipsychotics, although I believe the SSRIs can do as much harm with this symptom.

For me, it was like my soul was literally being ripped out of me and I was spinning and falling and constantly moving. It wasn't just about moving and pacing, that was the end result of the torment. I literally wanted to die. 

Yes it does feel like my soul wants to escape my body!

Shep, do you remember what they gave you for the akathisia? Although it probably wouldn't help as I'm off the Ads now and you were probably still ON them then.

Oh how I wish this could stop for a few minutes, to be able to lie in bed in teh afternoon and relax! This has been the right of all patients through the ages, to lie in bed and relax. why has it been taken away from me??? This is inhuman torture!

And I still can't believe this is happening to me. I wish I had some other condition, some "normal" disease, even in severe form, at least it would be widely recognized and there would be medication, hospitals etc. When I tell psychiatrists about my symptoms they say it's my anxiety. What the hell!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes it does feel like my soul wants to escape my body!

Shep, do you remember what they gave you for the akathisia? Although it probably wouldn't help as I'm off the Ads now and you were probably still ON them then.

Oh how I wish this could stop for a few minutes, to be able to lie in bed in teh afternoon and relax! This has been the right of all patients through the ages, to lie in bed and relax. why has it been taken away from me??? This is inhuman torture!

And I still can't believe this is happening to me. I wish I had some other condition, some "normal" disease, even in severe form, at least it would be widely recognized and there would be medication, hospitals etc. When I tell psychiatrists about my symptoms they say it's my anxiety. What the hell!!!

This was years ago and I was hospitalized and placed on so many drugs, I honestly can't remember. 

I had brief episodes of akathisia when I finally came off everything most recently, and I paced and paced. Playing music in the background helped and walking outside (when I felt up to it) helped.

I also would get on the subway and just ride and ride. Something about the equilibrium of being in a moving vehicle helped. 

There's a thread on it here that may help:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/32-akathisia-vs-restlessness-anxiety-agitation/

There really isn't much that can be done about it, but knowing you aren't alone may help set your mind at ease. Most doctors think it's this movement disorder, they don't get the fact that the mind, body, and soul are connected. Akathisia affects EVERYTHING. 

I hope that knowing others have survived will help. 

I'm really glad you're here because you're in good company. 

Hi Wiltong,

Just wanted to drop in and say hi and offer my support.

My story is pretty similar to yours too. Im 38 years old and originally began on Aropax at 22 and tried a few other AD before ending up on Venlofaxine, then making a bad choice to come off the Ven (all w/d hell broke loose). I went onto Mirtazapine and panic stopped but all the horrible side effects crept in for me too. I couldn't live like that so waited a year to settle a bit before slowly reducing over 10 months - unfortunately I didn't listen to my body well enough toward end of tapering and like you I experienced 3 episodes of akinesia. It's absolutely soul destroying isn't it? I just wanted to offer my support to you from another that gets it. I would hold a hot tight hottie round my chest tight, lie on the ground and shake and convulse. I felt like a dimented toddler having a tanty!! At least the thought of that could make me smile. I did find clinging to a warm hottie a bit reassuring while I shook through to the end. Just gotta wait it through to get out the other side.

Wishing you much strength and support through this.

KiwiBex ????❤️❤️❤️

2012 - Weaned off Fluoxetide (easily) onto 37.5mg Venlofaxine.
2013 - Dr suggested to increase Venlofaxine so did up to 180mg then reduced only over a matter of weeks suffering awful awful acute withdrawal. Put on Sertraline felt terribly low so put on Mirtazapine 15mg.
2014 - Felt truly awful on Mirtazapine with numerous side effects. Held for a long time over year. Think I reduced to 10mg slowly as thinking was so slowed.
2015 - Dry cutting to reduce Mirtazapine: Feb 3rd 9mg, Feb 17 8mg, March 3rd 7mg, March 17 6.5mg, March 23 6mg, April 7 5.5mg, April 21 5mg, May 5 4.5mg, June 29 4.0mg, July 13 3.5mg, Aug 10 3.2, Oct 13 3.1.
End of October stress entered and withdrawal caught up experienced lots of panic/confusion and forgot to take Mirtazapine for 3 nights and suffered confusion/psychosis experience and went to hospital for 10 days where they started zopiclone 7.5mg.
2016 - Been off Mirtazapine 3 months by end Jan. Feel ok in morning mood-wise can focus etc. Afternoons starts to go downhill headaches, lightsensitivity need to lie down in dark room, depersonalised at times/ spaced
out, anxiety/inner tremor late afternoon evening with crying spells and sometimes agitation. Still functioning ok - reading, driving, coversations, tv, gentle walks/swims, getting out a bit but not at night/social settings.
March 2016 Scary akathesia for 3 nights so took 2.5mg Olanzapine 10 days stopped due to side effects. Tried low dose Quetiapine for 4 nights first night 12.5 then halved dose to 6.25 for last 3 nights and stopped due to adverse reaction - obsessive thinking, dark thoughts, early waking, more distractible. Encouraged to reduce Zopiclone from 1x7.5mg to 3/4 7.5mg during Olanzapine trial. Scared of being stuck on zopiclone so end of May reduced from 3/4 to just over half got headachey, breathlessness increased to scary breathing attacks. Not asthma as was checked for this.  A week later increased back to 3/4. July noted headaches and breathlessness reduced so must have been related to too big a zopiclone reduction.

​2017 - Ongoing symptoms tend to come on around lunchtime - headaches, DP, breathlessness on/off increases into evening, Cognitive issues at times; over think/scattered/concentration issues etc.. Anhedonia at times, rage/tears at times. Remained at 3/4 7.5mg zopiclone and Ginet 84 contraceptive pill.

Thank you Shep.

This is such a horrible condition, after having it for 1,5 months I can't imagine now it will ever go!!!

And to think that I was drug-free for 2 months since last October, when I came off venlafaxine I think I had a chance of making at least a partial recovery ... it was hard, very hard then, but much better than the current horror...if only I hadn't started mirtazapine! Now it's horribly obvious to me how stupid it was, to trust another psychiatrist, but back then i still had illusions of psychiatry being medicine...

I'm horrified when I read stories of people who got akathisia for months from a single shot of an anti-emetic... and I ruined my CNS for years with those psycho-poisons!! I still can't believe I didn't research it better, I was always so scared of illegal drugs and not understanding people who took them... and it turns out I'm far more stupid than them!

I'm so scared the сыт will never get back to any semblance of a balance...

If someone had told me even 2 months ago I'd be praying for death in my sleep I wouldn't have believed... Now it looks like the only possible way out...

I feel so soryy for my parents who have to take care of me, especially my Mom...

I search for pictures of ordinary patients in hospitals and I envy them desperately, they can sit or lie down and relax, read a book, watch the TV!!! I never imagined that those things could be taken away from me. Somehow when I started reading this forum (and othe rstories of AD withdrawal online) I didn't come across akathisia, or if I did I didn't pay attention (and of course I didn't know what it was back then)... if only I had known that what i was experiencing was not just anxiety but akathisia!!

thank you Kiwi... so is your akathisia gone?

And the question for everyone who had A. but it went away: how did it happehn? Gradually or you woke up and it was gone?

I was also hit with a number of physiological changes that make me feel my body is strange to me... I feel like my arms aren't really mine (I can't think of a better way of saying it); I feel like there's something heavy in my brain behind my eyes; my cycle stopped completely; I sweat less; I don't like the feeling of the water on my skin (and I'd always loved to shower before, now it just feels weird); to name just a few. Has anyone had any weird physiological phenomena /feelings accompany akathesia?

I don't want to die, I'm scared of dying, but I don't want to be alive like that!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

thank you Kiwi... so is your akathisia gone?

And the question for everyone who had A. but it went away: how did it happehn? Gradually or you woke up and it was gone?

I was also hit with a number of physiological changes that make me feel my body is strange to me... I feel like my arms aren't really mine (I can't think of a better way of saying it); I feel like there's something heavy in my brain behind my eyes; my cycle stopped completely; I sweat less; I don't like the feeling of the water on my skin (and I'd always loved to shower before, now it just feels weird); to name just a few. Has anyone had any weird physiological phenomena /feelings accompany akathesia?

My akathisia went away gradually, from what I can remember.

The comment that you feel like your body is strange and your arms aren't really mine sounds like "depersonalization". That's one of my worst symptoms. I feel like I'm walking around inside my own corpse. My arms and legs don't feel attached and I feel like I'm living inside of a movie. 

But it's very much a symptom of coming off of psych drugs. I hope knowing this makes you feel better. 

• Moderator Emeritus

. and I ruined my CNS for years with those psycho-poisons!! I still can't believe I didn't research it better, I was always so scared of illegal drugs and not understanding people who took them... and it turns out I'm far more stupid than them!

Wilting,

One of the most difficult things about this journey is to understand that you are not at fault.  It seems so easy in hindsight to place blame on ourselves for "not doing more research" or "not knowing about this."  In reality, you are living your life, you have an issue, you go to a doctor as you've been taught, and they give you a path which is the "standard of care."  What did you do wrong?  The fact that these drugs have the side effects and cause the long-term damage they do is a function of the pharmaceutical companies and the regulators not wanting the information to quell their sales efforts.

I'm a big believer in taking responsibility and being accountable but I draw the line at self-blame in a case like this.  Having compassion for yourself and understanding that you did what the vast majority of people in your shoes would have done can help you heal in many ways.

I hope you really take this to heart and remember to love yourself first.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wilting, I suffered Akathisia too and can't remember what helped. It was a long time ago, it was diagnosed as 'severe agitative depression' or something like that when in reality it was all the drugs I was on and off in the hospital!

You took some mirtazepine for 2 days and it didn't help. It takes 4 days to get a steady dose in the bloodstream so maybe if you tried for longer it might help eventually. How much did you take? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

You took some mirtazepine for 2 days and it didn't help. It takes 4 days to get a steady dose in the bloodstream so maybe if you tried for longer it might help eventually. How much did you take? 

I took the full dose i had been prescribed, 15 mg

I was afraid to experiment longer afraid to ake it worse

• Moderator Emeritus

I see, that was too high after being off since early March. Try taking a very very tiny dose, 1mg if you can measure it so small. Take it every day and if it helps  you may be able to stabilise on that amount, hold for a few months then start to taper again. Side effects are dose related so you might not have the same side effects at such a tiny dose.  Hopefully it will help. Many people have relief from symptoms after such a small reinstatement and hopefully it will help you too. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

thank you apace...I understand all this...

Still I can't help beating myself up for it all the time,,, my parents have to suffer because of my stupidity! Thye don;t deserve this... and I didn't tell them i was taking this stuff knowing they wouldn't approve - they're wary of doctors and medication, for good reason as I now see! And I thought i was improving my health the civilised way, like they do in progressive parts of the world...stupid, stupid!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Andy, don't blame yourself. You trusted your doctor, we should be able to trust our doctors! 

Try the 1mg and see how it goes. If it doesn't help and you do not feel worse you can increase it to 2 mg after a week. 

Stop blaming yourself it is NOT your fault!  You will get through this, I promise you that, we all get through it. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Wilting - 

Please put dosages and dates (as best you can remember) in your signature.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.  Akathisia is the worst.  BUT - as awful as it is - it WILL PASS, it is temporary.  All you have to do is survive the worst of it and wait for the first Window to show you a clear blue sky - even if it is just for a minute.  Then, once you have seen a window - the hope of the next window can help you survive the awful akathisia.

Waves and Windows

You might also be helped by this description of healing and withdrawal: 

Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery (Toxic Antidepressants)

and these cartoons, in dialogue format which explain more:

Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

(btw, I think of the older lady in the cartoon as Alto, the founder of this site)

You said:

My case isnt' typical unlike most people who get akathisia from neuroleptics... I stopped taking mirtazapine on 6 March but the akathisia continues in full force...

Your case is extreme, but not atypical at all.  Often, akathisia is listed as a more severe illness, and doctors just add drugs as they watch their patient's problem escalate. Sometimes it's called "mania" (which gets a "bipolar" diag-nonsense) or "psychosis" (which gets a schizophrenia, schizoaffective, or even borderline diagnosis) and they just add more drugs instead of removing the drug that caused the problem.

There are many people in here who got akathisia from antidepressants.  In fact, I know more people suffering akathisia from antidepressants than from neuroleptics.  So this is a misconception, that it only happens from neuroleptics.

You asked me if gabapentin helps akathisia.

Well, that's one of the ones they prescribe for it, and for tardive dyskinesia.  It doesn't really fix the problem, but it numbs the nervous system so you don't care so much.  But they prescribe ALL KINDS of things - neuroleptics for sleeping and anxiety, for example - anti-convulsants as "mood stabilizers," I wouldn't trust "standard of care" and it may not overlap at all with "wise practice."

We cannot recommend ANY drug here.  If you do go on the gabapentin, you will have to taper off of it, eventually.  There is a discussion of Gabapentin, here:  Tips for tapering off Gabapentin

It was pointed out to me in that thread that Gabapentin has a serious interaction with magnesium, which is an amazing healing thing.

Given a choice between the two, I would choose the magnesium, for superior long term benefits.  Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

Fresh, I stopped taking 3,75 of mirtazapine on 6 March. (The Akathisia started on 1 March).

I tried to go back on mirtazapine for 2 days in late March but it did nothing.

It takes at least 4 days (and likely more like 7-10 days) to see if a reinstatement will work.  

Your dose has bounced around a bit, it will take a long time to settle. 

I believe, especially with the akathisia, that the drug which caused it will be the one to best relieve it.  Consider reinstating a tiny tiny dose of the venlafaxine - the drug that caused you these problems.  A small enough dose - 1/10 of what you were last taking - might be enough to soothe the symptoms, without giving you side effects.

Another possibility would be the remeron, but it seems like it never covered the pain that the venlafaxine started.

And to think that I was drug-free for 2 months since last October, when I came off venlafaxine I think I had a chance of making at least a partial recovery ...

Yes, there is often a "honeymoon" with quitting the drugs, when you think you will make it, then, 3-6-even 9 months later, WHAM! You get hit with delayed withdrawal.  It's because quitting the drugs is like jumping off of a cliff - only - it takes MONTHS to fly through the air before you hit the ground.  The flying part feels good, but you have no idea what is waiting for you at the bottom.

I believe this is Effexor withdrawal, and that is the one you should reinstate.  You can experiment with reinstating small amounts of remeron, but it may be that the Effexor is the one you need - and reinstating it (you are months out now) may be problematic.

Please see:  About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Stop Withdrawal Symptoms

and  Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

In the latter thread, you will see that people taper Effexor by counting beads.  The drug companies are too corrupt to give us the dosages we need to taper safely, so we need to open the capsules and count the beads in order to taper safely.

Look at reinstating 10% of your last dose of Effexor (which I don't know what that is, since your signature doesn't provide this information)

Healing occurs in Waves and Windows.  Good patches, bad patches, good patches - alternating.  You don't know how long or when - but you will start to see the cycles as you start to heal.

I agree with Andy and Mamma, that you cannot blame yourself.  You did what you thought was best at the time.  You trusted those who were supposed to be "experts" about this.  All you can ever do is your best.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you so mcuh JanCarol,

I have read about waves and windows... But i don't have any windows now, excetp for 1 minute after i wake up... then it's unrelenting akathisia all day long.

This is the horror of my situation, it's kind of confused and i don't know what to reinstate and if i should reinstate at all.. Still, i don';t think i should reinstate venl. as it caused all this - i think it's akathisia not withdrawal from V.

I wish I hadn't started mirtazaine, /I may have somewhat recovered from venl. by now if only I hadn't been such a wuss and put up with the anxiety (as awful as it seemed), nausea, ibs, less sleep and general malaise!!! I was far more functuional then... even did some grocery shopping, could lie down and relax, do some things around the house...it's my dream now.

You're right about doctors misdiagnosing, psychiatrists don't believe me and say it's anxiety... and want to treat it with SSRIs.

I went to a neurologist and he agreed it was akathisia and prescribed gabapentin and trihexyphenydine - a horrible, dementia-inducing addictive hallucinogenic drug by all accounts. I don't want to take it at all - I dont' want to take anything!!! - but I don't know if I can last much longer without any drugs... and yes, i'm aware that whatever i will take for it, i will eventually have to taper and the results will be unpredictable... Propranolol that seems to help so many didn't touch the akathisia which isn't realy surprising if it's tardive A.

Whatever I did over the past 6 months, only made my situation worse... I'm afraid to do anything but i will have to because this situiation is unsupportable.

Edited by Wilting

• Moderator Emeritus

I would avoid any other drugs, they are experimenting!  You could try the venlafaxine again but in  a very very tiny dose, open the capsule and take just 5 beads. 

Side effects are dose related so may not set off the IBS again. When you had IBS if you had diarrhoea you wouldn't have absorbed the drug, which leads to withdrawal. (Happened to me.)  A higher dose would be far too much after being off for so long, especially with the IBS side effect. I didn't suggest it because of the bowel side effect but it is worth a try. I took ven and had huge problems. Tapered too fast and reinstated, just 4 beads made a huge difference fr me after just a few days. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have read about waves and windows... But i don't have any windows now, excetp for 1 minute after i wake up... then it's unrelenting akathisia all day long.

Wilting,

While we talk about windows and waves as a frequently observed pattern of healing, there are plenty of people who don't ever have "true" windows and, instead, heal in a more linear fashion.  There are examples of people who show no improvement for a long period of time only to have a rapid recovery that is quite unexpected given their recent history.  The healing process from this stuff really does run the gamut when it comes to how things go. 

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

thank you mammap and apace41...

the unrelenting nature of the beast makes me feel like it's my new permanent reality. Like it's hit a plateau and it's going to be this way now forever.

The other thing that scares me is that the changes brought by these drugs aren't "natural": they only appeared a few decades ago and the brain may not have the mechanisms to override them, they're completely alien to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

The other thing that scares me is that the changes brought by these drugs aren't "natural": they only appeared a few decades ago and the brain may not have the mechanisms to override them, they're completely alien to it.

The good news, Wilting, is that the brain was doing its thing long before these drugs came along and will be doing it long after they have been eradicated like the plague that they are.  The brain is incredibly resilient and changes neuroplastically in ways that you and I can never hope to appreciate.  See the following:

http://survivinganti...bic-retraining/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-brain-remodeling/

Do these drugs make things more difficult for some period of time?  Absolutely.  Will they prevent us from healing over some period of time?  Not in my view.  There are too many stories of people successfully getting off of meds and healing to think that you won't get back what the drugs have taken.  It takes time, effort and more suffering than it should for many people but bottom line is that or brains heal themselves.

Best,

Andy

Your case is extreme, but not atypical at all. 

There are many people in here who got akathisia from antidepressants.  In fact, I know more people suffering akathisia from antidepressants than from neuroleptics.  So this is a misconception, that it only happens from neuroleptics.

I mean it's not a typical case in the eyes of psychiatrists. I've had one after the other tell me they've never come across AD-induced akathisia in their 10-15... years of practice. I had to tell them it's listed as a side effect of Ads and they are still doubtful

• Moderator Emeritus

I mean it's not a typical case in the eyes of psychiatrists. I've had one after the other tell me they've never come across AD-induced akathisia in their 10-15... years of practice. I had to tell them it's listed as a side effect of Ads and they are still doubtful

If you are going to go based on what the psychiatrists understand then it will be a very, very short discussion.

As a group, they are almost completely uninformed about the effects of the drugs they prescribe.  It is apparently in their best interests to use the "don't ask don't tell" approach to prescribing.

Andy

If you are going to go based on what the psychiatrists understand then it will be a very, very short discussion.

As a group, they are almost completely uninformed about the effects of the drugs they prescribe.

I'm not going to go based on their understanding... it's just that Im so desperate and grabbing at straws hoping that someone, somehwere could tell me that something helped in their experience.. Turned out to be an exercise in futility.

Oh, and I also had a brain MRI scan hoping and praying it was a brain tumor that could be removed! But no such luck...

Edited by Wilting

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not going to go based on their understanding... it's just that Im so desperate and grabbing at straws hoping that someone, somehwere could tell me that something helped in their experience.. Turned out to be an exercise in futility.

Oh, and I also had a brain MRI scan hoping and praying it was a brain tumor that could be removed! But no such luck...

Time is really the only thing that helps in any great way.  We advocate for Omega 3 fish/krill oil and magnesium and a ton of self-care work like meditation and mindfulness and gentle exercise, all subject to what any particular person can handle as things that provide benefit.  Some people have had success with acupuncture.  There are no silver bullets.

I'm prepared to go out on a limb and guess that more people on this site than not have had some kind of brain scan, workup or other effort to make sure they aren't suffering from something else.

You are not alone.

Andy

Time is really the only thing that helps in any great way.  We advocate for Omega 3 fish/krill oil and magnesium and a ton of self-care work like meditation and mindfulness and gentle exercise, all subject to what any particular person can handle as things that provide benefit.  Some people have had success with acupuncture.  There are no silver bullets.

Thanks Andy... By the way, have you

I'm already taking magnesium, B6, fish oil, a multivitamin, vitamin D.

I couldn't handle meditation in the best of times and I've never understood it, same with mindfulness. Exercise - I get plenty of that in the form of pacing, squirming, flailing all day long.

Oh Wilting......am so sorry that you are going through such hell with Akathisia . I have had a long history with both Effexor and Mirtazapine. 

I stopped taking Effexor much too quickly , over a year ago, and am still on 30 mg of Mirtazipine daily. Until recently I knew next to nothing 

about protracted withdrawals from Psych Meds. My last year has been tough....nausea , vomiting, insomnia, high anxiety , agoraphobia, pain etc 

I ascribed it to something else , a treatment I had been through the previous year, and kept going to the Doctors looking for answers. 

I had nearly every test possible and not much was showing up. Eventually I was prescribed Lyrica which I took for 3 horrible months. 

During this time my mild Akathisia became much more pronounced. I basically just got up and paced on the  spot. When I did sit 

down I kept crossing and uncrossing my legs. I can relate to not liking the feel of water on my skin ..I also relate to not  being able to watch TV..i still cannot. I called emergency health services twice during this period. This experience is only 6 weeks away for me. I am, like you, still only sleeping 3 hours a night and the Akathisia has not entirely gone but has gradually got a lot better.

Because of what I was going through I made a decision to fairly abruptly stop the Lyrica. For me this helped the symptoms of Akathisia but was horrible in many other respects. I have decided to hold steady on the Mirtazapine until I feel a bit more stable. My aim though is to get completely med free. I cannot pretend to  know what you should do regarding your meds but like others have said Akathisia is very much a symptom of coming off these horrible drugs. There is so much wisdom and good advice here ....hang in it will get better. 6 weeks ago I would have said that I was headed for a long period of hospitalisation. Now that is not going to happen. All the very best to you and please keep us updated with how you are faring.

Anti Depressants for  25 years. Valium between 2006 to 7 tapered off over a month without too bad withdrawals.

For last 15 years 150 mg of Effexor and 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Occasional short term benzo use without habituation.

March 2015 stopped Effexor after rapid taper. 6 weeks. 

One month fluoxetine June 2015...stopped CT July 2015.

October 2013 to December 2015 Zopiclone 15 mg at night,

Dec 2015 to Early March 2016 Lyrica 75 mg at night. 

Stopped too quickly as  adverse side effects.

January to May 2016 tapered Zopiclone to 7.5mg 

Crossed over to Valium and now ..March 28th 2017 Benzo Free.

Also on 30 mg Mirtazapine and holding until have finished Benzo taper.

IN protracted WD from Effexor.

Hi Wilting,

Like everyone else I'm so very sorry for what you are going through.  I also had akathisia, from different drugs some of which I reacted badly to, and from withdrawals as well.  It will go away, I know it doesn't seem likely but it will.  I don't know if you saw this thread and I know this won't make a huge difference but it may be worth trying--weighted blankets some people are finding to be mildly helpful for akathisia or restless legs to help them stay still and to help with sleep.  They can be made with an old pillowcase stuffed with beans, there's a video up around here about how to do that, obviously you would have to get someone to do that for you though in your case. 

I'm not sure if this would work either but it might be worth trying before this since if you have to buy one they can at times be expensive, but weighted leg wraps they use for exercising might work to help you keep still a bit longer.  I never thought to try them when I had it so can't vouch for that, just a suggestion. 

And I was given numerous drugs to treat it, then well after I found out that many psychiatric drugs actually list akathisia as  a possible adverse effect (that can come on as an adverse reaction and/or withdrawal symptom.)  By that point I was already dependent on one of them, a benzodiazepine.  I was not at all impressed to find that out!

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Thank you Bruin...

Did they emergency services do anything useful? Or just gave you tranqulizers?

UnfoldingSky, thank you... I read about the weighted stuff before but it wouldn't help, this outside stuff, when this impulse goes so strong from within. I'd just kick it away.

Can you read books and watch TV now?

Did the benzo actually take the A. away or just dampen its symptoms but you still felt the A. underneath?

How long did it take for your akathisia to go away and did it go away abruptly or gradually?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Andy... By the way, have you

I'm already taking magnesium, B6, fish oil, a multivitamin, vitamin D.

I couldn't handle meditation in the best of times and I've never understood it, same with mindfulness. Exercise - I get plenty of that in the form of pacing, squirming, flailing all day long.

Hi, Wilting. Please be careful with B vitamins. I couldn't take them because they revved up my symptoms, especially insomnia, anxiety, and akathisia really early on in my tapers. 

I'm doing much better getting B vitamins and Omega 3 by eating fish several times a week. 

Are you able to get your magnesium through Epsom salt baths? That might help relax you if you're able to stay still long enough. I know this is hard right now, but focus on the healing part because all of this is temporary. 

Your not alone. Ive been hammered with this symptom in its worst form. Seems to be stimulated by things I try to do to help myself. Hot bath, massage etc... It can't last in severe form.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Wilting - 

I know it seems like this has been forever.  It hasn't.  It's been a month (or six, if you count the time back to venlafaxine).

I understand what you mean about meditating, mindfulness - when you are burning, itching crawling, jumping thrashing, flailing - "sitting still" doesn't seem like the thing.

So how about moving meditation?  Put on your favorite thrash music and emphasize the jumping, thrashing flailing as your meditation.  Exaggerate the movements, take them to extremes - make fun of them, mock yourself in all your bitter anger and boogie-oogie-oogie 'till you just can't boogie no more!  See if you can even laugh at your distress - by laughing you take its power away (that would be ultimate!).

Have you ever sung the blues so hard that your woman left you for your hound dog that was crying?  Music that was so sad and pathetic you realized that it was mocking itself - and you were meant to laugh at it?  Can you find a twisted way to take your pain into a new realm?

When a child wails, I find the best tack to take is to wail with it.  The child is so shocked by an adult acting like a child, that they sober up and take heed pretty quickly.  (not all parents appreciate my tack!  but it does work!)  If you think of your poor nervous system as a child, and it's wailing and flailing - then wail and flail with it!  See what it does when you do what it seems to want!

Not all meditation is zen sitting or chiming bells or candle gazing.  There's more to meditation than that.  It's about a practice - about taking what you do have, and following it. 

I'm only suggesting an alternate strategy.  While I'm not a fan of Osho, his dynamic meditation (my interpretation) of breathing deeply and intensely for some minutes, dancing for some, then jumping up and down shouting ho! ho! ho! then thrashing and letting the emotions "shake" out of you, then lying still and feeling the energy move through you - is quite cathartic.  And it is, after a fashion, a form of meditation, and can be a cleansing practice, if that's what helps.

Many of our akathisians have used the rattley side effect to loosen up their trauma.  This is meditation, too!

http://www.bercelifoundation.org/s/1340/aff_2_interior.aspx?sid=1340&gid=1&pgid=327

Throw out your preconceived notions of "what is medication" and "what is meditation" and find your own way.

If you have 1 good minute a day - give thanks for that one minute before the rest begins!  It's finding those minutes, and stringing them together like beads, which will bring you to life.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!