SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Greg: terrible experience after 3 days on sertraline

Greg

Hi – I’m hoping someone can relate, as I’m having a very hard time with this experience. I took Zoloft for 3 days (25mgs) in late December 2015. I stopped taking it after the 3rd day after intense panic attacks each night. My withdrawal has been horrible. For 3 weeks after, I had extreme anxiety, insomnia, and panic. I could barely leave my house – and there wasn’t much relief at my house either. I couldn’t escape the experience. I initially decided to take the medication for slight case of panic disorder after it flared up after a recent move out of state and leaving my support system. After the initial withdrawal symptoms, I was able to get back to my day to day life, but was not close to feeling as I felt before. I had this chemical depression – that took away all my hope and optimism. I’ve never had any depression, and was always a very positive person. I couldn’t shake it – it was so palpable. After 4 months, that started to lift from my mind and I was feeling close to normal (pre medication). This lasted for a two weeks. Then – I was hit with the exact same pattern that I experienced for the 3 days on the medication – diarrhea followed by extreme panic. I’ve never experienced that apart from the 3 days on the meds and this one time. That was followed a few days later with extreme depression – crying bouts 10+ times a day, insomnia, hopelessness. That has lasted the last 12 days – to which I’m currently experiencing. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this severe reaction after only taking it for 3 days. I’m very worried and scared with the uncertainty and my future.  I feel as if I have none - and all the mistakes from my past have come back and I can't escape them.  If anyone can offer any guidance I would be greatly appreciative.  I'm a 32 Male - usually very optimist, social person.  I don't think I've been lower than I am now.  The pain I'm feeling is overwhelming and unrelenting.  No one believes that the SSRI could cause this - especially after 3 days.  My parents think I have depression - and my psychiatrist says there is a 0% chance the medication is the cause of this.  However I never had depression before taking this medication.  Thank you for your time.  Any insight, thoughts, recommendations, words of encouragement would be very much appreciated.  

Lexapro 10MG - 9 months ending April 2014

Sertraline - 25 MG - December 17-19 2015 - Adverse Reaction - Still tremendously feeling the effects

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greg and welcome to SA,

Yes it is possible for people to have an immediate adverse reaction to antidepressant drugs.

You might find this video interesting:  dr-yolande-lucire-adverse-reactions-to-psychiatric-drugs

I'm sure some of the other more knowledgeable mods will chime in and probably give you information and links.

You can use this Intro/Update to ask questions and as a journal of your progress.  Click FOLLOW, top right, and you will be notified when someone responds.

Please put your Withdrawal History in SignatureIf there are any other drugs that you have taken or are taking, please include those too so that we have the full picture of your history.  This will allow us to offer suggestions based on your individual situation.

You will find the members here very supportive and encouraging.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greg, I am so sorry that you are having such a hard tome after just 3 pills. Sadly we have other members who have had similar adverse reactions after just a few pills. One member had taken only 1 pill and suffered for a while after. 

This will pass, it takes time but will get better. Your nervous system has been affected and is trying to recover. Feeling better for a while then becoming worse again is what we call windows and waves.  It is a part of the healing process. I once saw a documentary about the flu, and it showed what all the symptoms mean, the cough is getting rid of the virus, the fever is to kill it, etc. It is the same with healing from drug withdrawal and reactions, your nervous system and brain are healing themselves. I tapered off effexor for 3 years and took my last dose in Jan last year. In October I accidentally took a capsule I didn't know was there, mistaking it for one of my regular supplements.  I reacted to that and am just starting to feel back to how I was.  I just had to accept that my body was doing it's thing and repairing itself but it was very hard, especially as it coincided with some really stressful events.  I am past it now though, and you will be too. 

Take good care of yourself, eat as well as you can, food without additives as all the chemicals can make it worse. Avoid caffeine, alcohol and too much sugar. This can be hard for some people but caffeine really does make it worse, so does alcohol although some people are ok with very small amounts occasionally. 

Walking is really good, exercise helps a lot if you can manage it.  Sleep is important, so try not to stay up very late if you are up early. Even if you aren't sleeping, being in a warm comfy bed 

that you can relax in is good. 

Supplements, many people react to some supplements so be very careful, if you decide to try anything start very low, much less than the recommended dose and increase if you are ok with it.  Many people here find that magnesium helps, and a good quality fish oil. 

I would never EVER take another psychiatric pill again if I were you, also check EVERYTHING you are prescribed on drugs.com as some psych drugs are used for other things. Pain killers for instance are sometimes AD's, I had an anti emetic for nausea that is actually an anti psychotic, so be very careful with any meds because you are very sensitive .

I'll get some links for you. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I had a reaction and protracted withdrawal-type symptoms after three days too. It does happen and it's horrible but you do heal.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Thank you for all your responses and support - it means a lot.  I'm in the throws of it now - and having a really hard time making sense of it all.  

I do a pretty good job of clean living - eating well, no caffeine, exercising.  The recent wave is horrible - I feel as my mind and body are hijacked - I have an overwhelming sense of doom and reliving the past and feeling as if I'll never lead a normal life/my life is ruined.  It's awful.  That combined with the physical pain - hard timing eating, can't sleep, everything is challenge.  I'm hoping this wave subsides soon.  And on top of that no one in my support system believes that the medication caused this.  

Lastly - I think I know the answer to this and has been addressed above, but to clarify - I had a 9 month successful run with Lexapro - introducing that during my healing would do more harm than good?

Thanks again.

Sertraline - 25 MG - December 17-19 2015 - Adverse Reaction - Still tremendously feeling the effects

• Moderator Emeritus

Lastly - I think I know the answer to this and has been addressed above, but to clarify - I had a 9 month successful run with Lexapro - introducing that during my healing would do more harm than good?

Greg,

Welcome to SA. I echo what my fellow mods have said.  This sucks but you will get through it.

You are correct.  You do know the answer.  ;)

Nobody on this site is going to advise you to try Lexapro as a means of dealing with an adverse reaction to Zoloft.  Might it work?  Perhaps.  But, you have an equally good shot with the old Magic 8 ball.  Your CNS has been destabilized by the reaction to Zoloft.  Introducing another psych med, even one you had success with in the past, would be a dangerous proposition.

Best you can do is ride this one out.  Hopefully, it won't be very long you are down.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi – I’m hoping someone can relate, as I’m having a very hard time with this experience. I took Zoloft for 3 days (25mgs) in late December 2015. I stopped taking it after the 3rd day after intense panic attacks each night. My withdrawal has been horrible. For 3 weeks after, I had extreme anxiety, insomnia, and panic. I could barely leave my house – and there wasn’t much relief at my house either. I couldn’t escape the experience. I initially decided to take the medication for slight case of panic disorder after it flared up after a recent move out of state and leaving my support system. After the initial withdrawal symptoms, I was able to get back to my day to day life, but was not close to feeling as I felt before. I had this chemical depression – that took away all my hope and optimism. I’ve never had any depression, and was always a very positive person. I couldn’t shake it – it was so palpable. After 4 months, that started to lift from my mind and I was feeling close to normal (pre medication). This lasted for a two weeks. Then – I was hit with the exact same pattern that I experienced for the 3 days on the medication – diarrhea followed by extreme panic. I’ve never experienced that apart from the 3 days on the meds and this one time. That was followed a few days later with extreme depression – crying bouts 10+ times a day, insomnia, hopelessness. That has lasted the last 12 days – to which I’m currently experiencing. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this severe reaction after only taking it for 3 days. I’m very worried and scared with the uncertainty and my future.  I feel as if I have none - and all the mistakes from my past have come back and I can't escape them.  If anyone can offer any guidance I would be greatly appreciative.  I'm a 32 Male - usually very optimist, social person.  I don't think I've been lower than I am now.  The pain I'm feeling is overwhelming and unrelenting.  No one believes that the SSRI could cause this - especially after 3 days.  My parents think I have depression - and my psychiatrist says there is a 0% chance the medication is the cause of this.  However I never had depression before taking this medication.  Thank you for your time.  Any insight, thoughts, recommendations, words of encouragement would be very much appreciated.  

non medical, nonetheless, self taught in medical reseach. Military duty during the Vietnam era as a security enlist aide

My medical condition consist of ptsd, mdd,mst, plus tbi injury along with chronic pain. I have never taken any narcotics, however have study the anacolergic [sic] effects of drugs.

Greg, some, if not most antidepressants can cause depression. I relate to your situation, I have military ptsd, mdd, mst -plus chronic pain. First try to find a empathic Doctor, who understands the many side effects of these drugs. I researched my disorder, with out the help of the V A. For me cymbalta 60 mg works wonders for me. Still active after 9 years. Yes, ssri and snri can cause your issues your psychiatrist is nuts.

You just need a competent Doctor. Please do not give up. There is help for you. Sometimes is hard work. If you feel uncomfortable with a doctors advise get another. If money is a problem call your local mental health department. Stay in touch.

non medical, nonetheless, self taught in medical reseach. Military duty during the Vietnam era as a security enlist aide

My medical condition consist of ptsd, mdd,mst, plus tbi injury along with chronic pain. I have never taken any narcotics, however have study the anacolergic [sic] effects of drugs.

Thank you for all your responses and support - it means a lot.  I'm in the throws of it now - and having a really hard time making sense of it all.  

I do a pretty good job of clean living - eating well, no caffeine, exercising.  The recent wave is horrible - I feel as my mind and body are hijacked - I have an overwhelming sense of doom and reliving the past and feeling as if I'll never lead a normal life/my life is ruined.  It's awful.  That combined with the physical pain - hard timing eating, can't sleep, everything is challenge.  I'm hoping this wave subsides soon.  And on top of that no one in my support system believes that the medication caused this.  

Thanks again.

Hi Greg, what you are describing is normal after an adverse reaction.  I had it.  So have many others.  I know what it's like when no-one around you believes that a few little pills (which half the planet seems to be on without trouble) can do this to you. It can be quite an isolating experience but please do use this forum for support and encouragement.  We understand what you are going through.

How has your recovery been since December?  Have you had any times, even short ones, where things have seemed improved?

Based on my own experience, I would absolutely support what the mods are telling you about NOT trying lexapro: my guess is that you will now be highly sensitised to most psychiatric medication (and even other medications that affect your CNS) for some time.  I think that, however tempting it might be to try and find a fix, taking further, different, medication in an attempt to manage the symptoms of an earlier adverse reaction would not be a good idea, even if you have previously been ok on that medication.  From what I have seen around the forum, that is how a lot of people get into a worsened situation, with more drugs piled on top of other drugs leading to poly-withdrawal syndrome (I made that term up, but I hope you know what I mean).

I took St Johns Wort to try to ease the fallout after my reaction.  It went really badly and resulted in suspected serotonin syndrome.  It certainly heightened my dysphoria and suicidality.   I couldn't just stop taking it because even a small drop after a really short time on it sent me off the charts, so had to taper off, probably too fast.  I fell that it trapped me in the reaction for longer.

Then, over a year out, and long after I felt mostly healed, I took some antibiotics (a brand with acknowledged psychological side effects - not all do) which immediately sent me back into a similar intense reaction.  It has taken me months to heal again.

To be honest, and with the best will in the world to the previous poster, I would not take advice to try further medication from someone who has not experienced the hell that is a reaction to/withdrawal from these meds.

Have you read about CBT?  Based on what I've read, it is the only proven treatment for anxiety disorders.  It is an alternative to drug therapy that can help you through the worst of the reaction/withdrawal syndrome and give you good coping skills to carry forward. 

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Thanks for all your responses - it means a lot and is really helping me staying hopeful in this very tough time.

Farout - Yes, 2 weeks ago I had a nice window of about a week of feeling close to my old self.  Prior to that, I was managing - could work, exercise and sleep through the night - had some mental depression, but it wasn't overwhelming and crippling as it is now.  This recent wave that hit last week is by far the worst I have felt since initial reaction and withdrawal.  That window is giving me hope, but this wave I'm in now has taken me to my lowest point and having trouble envisioning an end.  I can handle the physical pain - the nausea, feeling like my nerves are on fire, but the physiological warfare going on in my head is the worst.  It's as if I can't gain any traction of hope or rest - just recurring loops of my lowest points in life and feeling as if I can never escape it - and that those decisions all brought me here.  

I'm going to keep fighting and hold hope that I can power through to the other side.  Thanks again for all your responses and support.

Greg

Hi Greg,

So sorry to hear about your reaction to Zoloft after only 3 tablets.

You are not alone. Many people have experienced adverse reactions to Antidepressants, including my self.

I had a bad reaction to Zoloft after only 3 25mg tablets.

I understand what you are going through and I want to let you know that you will recover from this.

It will take a while, but you will get better.

You might be a poor metaboliser, it is worth having a pharmocogenic test.

I had major depression and psychological disturbances following Zoloft reaction.

This includes crying spells, panic, anxiety, etc.

The hopelessness that you are feeling is drug induced and it is not you.

You really have to fight through this.

What you are currently experiencing are windows and waves.

At the beginning of your recovery, you will feel like you are being constantly being pulled backwards and forwards.

Recovery is not linear.

Expect many ups and downs.

Eventually the downs get less and less.

My advice to you is not to try anymore Antidepressants, allow your self to recover.

Don't make the mistake I made.

Don't give up, keep going.

Take care, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

You will power through this.

I was where you were.

You can do this.

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Lexapro s the same class of drug as sertraline , an SSRI and when you have had a reaction to one I wouldn't consider another.

It really will get better, I know it doesn't feel like it now but it will. Take each day as it comes and focus on any positive moments. 

Think of it like an accident, it will take a long time to recover but with physio and care the body heals. Your brain is healing, and your already good lifestyle will help it to get there faster.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hopeful and mammaP - thanks for your words of encouragement.  It's honestly one of the only things keeping me going.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Greg, some, if not most antidepressants can cause depression. I relate to your situation, I have military ptsd, mdd, mst -plus chronic pain. First try to find a empathic Doctor, who understands the many side effects of these drugs. I researched my disorder, with out the help of the V A. For me cymbalta 60 mg works wonders for me. Still active after 9 years. Yes, ssri and snri can cause your issues your psychiatrist is nuts.

You just need a competent Doctor. Please do not give up. There is help for you. Sometimes is hard work. If you feel uncomfortable with a doctors advise get another. If money is a problem call your local mental health department. Stay in touch.

Hi Navgal, welcome to SA.  Would you like to start an introduction topic for yourself so we can get to know you?  Good to have you here .

2002  effexor. 

Hi Greg - all will be ok. Hang in there the best you can. Minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day.

I believe I am the person that mammaP referred to as having an adverse reaction to only ONE 50 MG zoloft (sertraline) tablet. That is what happened to me. Feel free to read through my intro thread. I'm sure you'll see many similarities.

I took the tablet on October 31, 2015. I am still recovering. Within an hour of the pill I had practically every side effect on the label, but to the utmost extreme. The anxiety and panic was so severe I was unable to do anything but sit in a ball and pray. I went to the ER on at least three occasions. I can only explain it as hell.

Like you, I got better. I had about 3-4 weeks in December where I felt practically normal. A few anxious moments, a couple instances of brain fog...but quite better. Functioning quite normally again.

Then the first week of January, it all came back. I literally woke up and it was there. I'm also in my 30's, no major health issues. I have a husband and young children. My parents have had to help us tremendously. My father has moved here from out of state to help. I'm now on short term disability from work. Doctors do not understand, or will not admit, what has happened to me. I also was given a Haldol injection a few weeks prior to this of which I had a dystonic reaction - the main reason I tried this devil drug.

Anyway, I was at the point of not thinking I could go on one more moment, one more day, like this. I can't count the times I've thought it would never go away, that I was permanently brain damaged.

But then...a window would come along. In fact, last Sunday I felt almost completely normal. No anxiety, no brain fog. I've lost 22 pounds throughout this debacle. My appetite is coming back, some things are returning to normal. But it does come and go. Our true healer, as others have said, is time. Looking at the big picture, I can absolutely see improvement. But I am unbelievably sensitive and the slightest thing can set me off.

I'm unable to go to the grocery store - lighting...? Can't take medication of any kind (or rather, won't try...I've reacted to ibuprofen, my prescription pain killer, Bach flower treatment, possibly even probiotics and magnesium). I can't eat much sugar or flour products. Even being around loud negative people, or having to listen to someone talk for too long can set me into a brain fog. Won't even try alcohol or caffeine.

Acupuncture has helped, as well as meditation/visualization, getting outside is huge,and light exercise, even when at your worst, makes a big difference. Acceptance (which I learned from this site), ignoring the symptoms as much as possible, eating whole healthy foods...I was started on a small dose of xanax back when this started back up. So I will have to deal with tapering that soon enough. I wish I had known and not started, but it possibly helped me get through this. Hopefully it won't cause me too much trouble to come off.

I have started a natural probiotic, which occurs in organic fermented saurkraut. This has helped, also with my digestive issues. I'm going to add organic krill oil soon.

Things will get better. Seems as soon as you think they couldn't possibly get worse, a window will open. :)

So glad you found this site. It's been a life saver for me. Truly. Can't imagine what kind of cocktail they'd have me on now without this site.

I, too, just thought (and still do!)...how can ONE pill...or ONE injection...do this to me? How is it possible? But it obviously is. It happened to me, happened to others, and happened to you. I'm informing as many people as I can about the potential dangers of these drugs.

History of Wellbutrin, Neurontin, Buspar, Paxil and others in 1990's - teenage years

Xanax .5 mg as needed 2010-2015

One injection of Haldol in ER 10/9/2015 - dystonic reaction (ongoing issues)

One 50 mg pill Zoloft 10/31/15 adverse reaction/s that are ongoing

Xanax .125 mg every 3 hours as needed, .25 mg at bedtime 1/8/16-1/21/16Xanax .25 mg every 3 hours (1.25 mg/day) 1/22/16 - 2/9/16Xanax .25 mg/5 times a day (1.25 mg/day) starting 2/10/16, then tried 6 times/day (2x.25, 4x.1875)Xanax .25 mg/6 times a day (1.5 mg/day) starting 2/19/16

Tapering off of Xanax, switching to Diazepam, starting June 29, 2016, then starting taper soon there after

Completed Xanax taper early Sept 2016, crossover to 20 mg/day Diazepam

Currently at 2 mg Diazepam/day = 1 mg bedtime, 1 mg morning

crhawk - thanks for taking the time to post. I'm sorry you had to go through this as well. I'm glad you're feeling better. I feel as if I'm getting worse and losing mental fortitude. I've been in a terrible wave for the last 2 weeks. It's 7am currently and I haven't slept. I just took a .25 xanax the first time during this whole ordeal. I don't like taking them at all and have built up a strong resistence to taking any medication. I'm hoping it will allow me to get some sleep, as that's the only escape from the pain. My whole world is flipped upside down. I can barely get through the day. And worst is the mental torment. I can't escape these dark, dark thoughts that are haunting me. It's on constant loop. Hoping this wave ends. Thanks for the support and well wishes. Please keep them coming, as everyone else in my life is not believing that taking 3 days in Zoloft almost 6 months ago is causing this.

Sit tight Greg. I know it's awful. Things will improve soon. Slowly the weird stuff starts to dissipate.

Hi Greg,

Hang in there.

I know how awful the dark repetitive thoughts are.

You have to keep reminding your self that it is not you but the drug.

If people don't want to believe you, than that is their problem.

I know how frustrating that it.

Especially when the doctors don't believe it.

But you know what, all these people that don't believe you are not worth your time.

People who care will believe you and will support you.

Take one day at a time, don't think about the next day.

Try to get through each day as it comes.

This is extremely difficult, but you have to tackle each day as it comes.

You will get better, but it does take time.

I know how frustrating that is.

Waiting for the time to pass, waiting to get better.

Listen to nature sounds before you go to bed.

I find that this helps.

You sleep is disturbed because of drug reaction.

At the beginning I could only sleep for 3-4 hours. My anxiety was through the roof.

I felt like I was in a nightmare, it did not feel real.

Every day I would wake up and it felt like it was a ground hog day.

But this will pass. Eventually you will be able to sleep.

Your nervous system needs to settle down.

You have to push through for a while and eventually you will see improvements.

You can do this. If so many of us can do it, so can you.

Hang in there and let the time heal you.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

• 2 weeks later...

How are you Greg? Feeling any better since your last post?

I'm back in a wave. A really bad one. Hoping you are finding at least a bit of relief.

History of Wellbutrin, Neurontin, Buspar, Paxil and others in 1990's - teenage years

Xanax .5 mg as needed 2010-2015

One injection of Haldol in ER 10/9/2015 - dystonic reaction (ongoing issues)

One 50 mg pill Zoloft 10/31/15 adverse reaction/s that are ongoing

Xanax .125 mg every 3 hours as needed, .25 mg at bedtime 1/8/16-1/21/16Xanax .25 mg every 3 hours (1.25 mg/day) 1/22/16 - 2/9/16Xanax .25 mg/5 times a day (1.25 mg/day) starting 2/10/16, then tried 6 times/day (2x.25, 4x.1875)Xanax .25 mg/6 times a day (1.5 mg/day) starting 2/19/16

Tapering off of Xanax, switching to Diazepam, starting June 29, 2016, then starting taper soon there after

Completed Xanax taper early Sept 2016, crossover to 20 mg/day Diazepam

Currently at 2 mg Diazepam/day = 1 mg bedtime, 1 mg morning

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

@Greg how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Greg: terrible experience after 3 days on sertraline