SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Woof: Cymbalta re-stabilization, after cold turkey withdrawal

woof

20mg of Cymbalta for 10 years without problems for neuropathy

I read about negative side affects and ignorantly stopped it cold turkey on 11/25/2015.

I had mild depression and insomnia for about 4 weeks. Then one month later, it all hit me WAY hard 10/10: anxiety, agitation, insomnia, Tinnitus and dysphoria.

After 6 weeks I restarted Cymbalta at my previous 20mg per day dose and although the symptoms have improved down to about 4/10, I am super sensitive to any psych med, alcohol etc.

I have been back on the Cymbalta for almost 3 months now and am wondering how long does it usually take to stabilize to back to where one was? 

Is this even "neural destabilization?" 

Should I try and ask my doctor to increase my dose to 30mg of Cymbalta per day?
Your site is great and I thank you for all you do.

I have been taking Valium 25 mg per day for the past 6 weeks to try to help with the anxiety and insomnia, it does help, but I am still super sensitive to all other meds

Weird thing - 1 drink of Alcohol makes all my symptoms dissapear, and then my symptoms are all way worse for two or three days.

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woof

• apace41

• scallywag

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, woof. Welcome to the forum. 

Sounds like you've been through a lot the past few months and your CNS is going to need time to stabilize. However, I wouldn't go up to 30 mg on the Cymbalta since you had been on 20 mg previously. In fact, many people find that once they come off a psychiatric drug, their CNS is destabilized and they are even more sensitive to their original dose when they reinstate. 

Also, please be very careful with alcohol. Alcohol works on the same GABA receptors as benzodiazepines and this will make your Valium use and taper much more difficult. 

The antidepressant / benzodiazepine combination can be rather tricky. You definitely have a Cymbalta dependency, and it only takes a couple of weeks to develop a benzo dependency, so please work closely with the moderators, as they will help you set up a proper taper. 

Until a mod comes by, here are some links to get you started.

Even though you're several months into your reinstatement, this will give you some background on the reinstatement process.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

And some links on withdrawing: 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

And here a couple more that go into exactly what withdrawal is:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please read carefully and ask plenty of questions. I'm glad you're here for support. 

Hi Woof-- welcome to the group.  I'm so glad you found us.  You've been on quite a ride for the past few months, but it appears to be stabilizing nicely, 4/10 is pretty good.  You probably will not become symptom free, what we are looking for is stability.  Which , I hate to say it, is feeling bad at the same level most of the time.  The CT and subsequent RI have really shaken up your system, and that takes a while to settle out.  How long, we can't say, but by referencing other peoples experiences you're right about where you should be.

Shep did a great job of covering things and gave you some really good links to read, and like she said ask us lots of questions.

I will have to add though, Alcohol is not your friend while going through this.  As you have found out it can reduce symptoms for a short time but then pay for it for days afterwards.  It can also really derail a good recovery.  Many times people are feeling good and celebrate with a beer or glass of wine, and it sets them back months with the hangover from h***.  The interactions of alcohol with all of these drugs is very complex and almost entirely negative.  So it's best to stay away from it if at all possible.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

In November 2015, I ignorantly went off of my Cymbalta cold turkey after 10 yrs of 20mg/day. I initially experienced just some mild morning depression and insomnia, then 4 weeks after withdrawal, I had Severe 10/10: TINNITUS, agitation, insomnia, anxiety and dysphoria. After one week of this I restarted my Cymbalta at 20mg/day. After 2 more weeks, symptoms were not improving, so although I did not want to, I restarted Valium at 25mg/day.  Valium helped decrease the symptoms to about 4/10 in severity. Its been 4 months since I restarted the Cymbalta at my original dose of 20mg/day, but I am still not back to normal, for me.  :) In sum I was completely off of the Cymbalta for about 6 weeks total.  Am I going through a phase of "neural destabilization?" I am not at all sure of what’s going on. If this is destabilization, does this usually pass with time? If so how long does it usually take for the brain to approximate re-stabilization? Or does it ever? Should I ask my doctor to increase my dose to 30mg of Cymbalta per day? Should I taper off the Valium again? Should I taper off of the Cymbalta? I am lost.
Your site is great and I thank you for all you do, I only wish I would have found it earlier.

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

Welcome woof, you've come at the right place for it!
Soon a mod will arrive and instruct you further on how to follow on this stage.
Keep your cool and everything will be as swift as it can :)

A Doctor prescribed me with Lexapro and Ritalin during 2013
Stopped Cold-Turkey during the run of 2014 and I did leave harmless.
Reinstated in cycles during 2015 (around 10- 20mg), stopped for a couple of monhts until 2016 (Reinstated in cycles around 7.5mg) and interrupted once again.

At least I don't miss Ritalin.

03/17/2016 Reinstatement of Lexapro under: 1 mg

Feeling somewhat stable, mild physical symptoms and psychological, mostly related to memory, brain fog and an annoying tinnitus.

05/16/2016 Started Microtapering: went to 0.9.5 and going for 0.9 in a week.

Thank you all for your time, advice, caring and understanding.

After reading the links you have provided, would you recommend decreasing my dosage down a bit from my 20mg/day of cymbalta? I take it in the morning and that is when I usually feel the worst.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Woof, can you give us more details in your sig about the valium use? How much and how often you take it as this could affect how you are feeling too.

Often reinstating a drug at the same dose is too high after being off for a while and we usually recommend reinstating a small dose first to see how it goes. 

You could try a 10% cut to see if it helps but let us know about the valium doses too. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Merged your topics. woof, only one topic to a customer in the Intro section.

Do you feel worse before or after you take Cymbalta? Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and when you take your drugs and their dosages.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello mammaP & Allostrata, Thank you so much for your responses, caring, merging my topics and recommending I update my sig. 

I have updated my sig regarding my current Valium use (15mg at 9 PM which gets me 6-7 hours of sleep and 10mg at 7 AM). 

I feel worse after I take my 7AM pills (20mg of Cymbalta and 10mg of Valium).  I do feel worse after taking the AM Cymbalta, but since I also take my AM Valium at the same time I am not sure which one, or

both, is more likely causing the increased anxiety I am experiencing from 7AM to about 1PM.  

Thanks again for all the help, communicating with all of you is incredibly therapeutic. (-:

• Administrator

When you say you feel worse, how do you feel? When exactly do these feeling come on?

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I take 20mg Cymbalta at 7AM every morning, within about an hour or so after that I have increased anxiety until approximately 1 PM. From that point on the anxiety is not so consistent and often even completely goes away after about 1pm. I will keep notes on my daily symptom pattern and drug dosing. 

Hi Woof, can you give us more details in your sig about the valium use? How much and how often you take it as this could affect how you are feeling too.

Often reinstating a drug at the same dose is too high after being off for a while and we usually recommend reinstating a small dose first to see how it goes. 

You could try a 10% cut to see if it helps but let us know about the valium doses too. 

When you say you feel worse, how do you feel? When exactly do these feeling come on?

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern and drug dosing.

I have taken your advice and made a 10% cut down from 20 Cymbalta to 18 mg, as of yesterday morning and my anxiety has virtually disapeared :)   I slept the best I have since my CT wd and my reinstatement. My tinnitus is down from 6/10 to 1/10.  Thank you so much for the advice!  So do I just hold and stabilize here with the Cymbalta for 4 weeks like the normally recommended wd and continue with 10% cuts every 4 weeks or is it different for reinstatement?   I am still taking Valium 10mg in the AM and 15mg at bed time any suggestions regarding the Valium?  Or anything else on how to proceed from here.  Your help and advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks again Woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Woof!  Welcome!

I have been taking Valium 25 mg per day for the past 6 weeks to try to help with the anxiety and insomnia, it does help, but I am still super sensitive to all other meds

Weird thing - 1 drink of Alcohol makes all my symptoms dissapear, and then my symptoms are all way worse for two or three days.

That's because alcohol is like a "short acting" valium, and just as addictive.  It's the "original cure" for social anxiety - a few drinks and everyone is fine, right?  (until it becomes chronic or goes paradoxical)

I have taken your advice and made a 10% cut down from 20 Cymbalta to 18 mg, as of yesterday morning and my anxiety has virtually disapeared  :)   I slept the best I have since my CT wd and my reinstatement. My tinnitus is down from 6/10 to 1/10.  Thank you so much for the advice!  So do I just hold and stabilize here with the Cymbalta for 4 weeks like the normally recommended wd and continue with 10% cuts every 4 weeks or is it different for reinstatement?   I am still taking Valium 10mg in the AM and 15mg at bed time any suggestions regarding the Valium?  Or anything else on how to proceed from here.  Your help and advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks again Woof  :)

This is awesome news!  It sounds like a slow taper is going to help you!  If you had come to us before reinstating, we wouldn't have put you on a full dose, like Mamma said.  But now that you have reinstated, please only decrease by 10% for future cuts.

We suggest holding for at least a month before making any more tapers, and we suggest no more than 10% of your current dose per taper.  This means you are decreasing not by the mg, but by ever decreasing amounts.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How did you cut to 18 mg?  A dry cut?  Or a liquid taper?

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsule

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2021-how-to-cut-up-tablets-or-pills-using-a-pill-cutter/

You may find that you are fine when you get down to 10 mg Cymbalta and want to stop.

Or you may find that you feel so much better on 10 mg, that you want to keep tapering!  

At 10 mg of Cymbalta, you can decide how it would be best to get the valium out of the picture, as it is not indicated for long term use, and is highly addicting.  We have a special Members Section for Benzo tapering, because there are special considerations for valium - but - later.  We'll look at that, later.

Getting stable now, is more important.

The power is yours, the choice is yours - you don't have to let the drugs control you, you can take charge of them, and decide how much or how little you want in your life.

It may take awhile for your symptoms to stabilize.  Recovery happens in Waves and Windows - you will feel better, then symptoms will hit again, as your system heals.  When you feel symptoms - remember - it is temporary.  It is healing.  The windows will return.

So this is a good time to learn about Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms  (these help with physical symptoms, too).  

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hello JanCarol !

Your response is greatly appreciated!!!  I tapered down 10% by counting 186 beads in my 20mg Cymbalta pill and decreased by 18 beads down to 168 beads. With your advice I now know to hold at 18 mg (168 beads) Cymbalta for the next month and see if I am ready to taper down another 10% from the 18 mg (168 beads) by decreasing by only 16 beads down to 152, thereby only decreasing down 10% from my ever decreasing dose. 

There were so many beads, I believe I counted correctly at 186 beads in the 20mg Cymbalta brand name pill, does anyone happen to know if 186 is the standard number of beads in brand name 20mg Cymbalta pills?

Also, I was considering moving my bedtime (10 PM) Valium dose of 15mg to when I wake up at 3 AM, or should I just leave things just as they are for now.

Thank you so much for all of the support and great advice! Woof

JanCarol,

I am glad you asked me how I cut to 18mg. On another website someone had counted 186 beads per 20mg Cymbalta pill.  I just counted the beads myself and there were actually 194 beads in my 20mg Cymbalta pills.  Not too big of a deal, but I can be a bit more precise now.  Thanks Again, Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Woof, I am glad that you are feeling better after the reduction. There could be some days when you don't feel as well because your nervous system is stabilising but hang in there and the bad days won't last. I wouldn't change anything with the valium yet, allow yourself to adjust to the change in cymbalta dose. I recommend that you post a topic for yourself in the benzo forum so that Wellness, our benzo expert,  can advise you the best way to adjust the dosing.  

Great news that your anxiety is improved, sometimes it only takes a very small adjustment to make a huge difference :) 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

mammaP,

Thank you so much for what you have done for me, 4 days now and no anxiety whatsoever and I have even had some pretty stressfull situations at work. Additionally, I want to thank you for your guidance to the Benzo forum - and for taking the time and caring enough to even provide me with the specific link - you are a really good person. :)

Since being advised on this site to my 20mg Cymbalta reinstatement by 10% (by counting beads), I have been anxiety free now for 7days, even despite lots of stress at work.  Now the only CT wd and full dose reinstatement symptom I have is early morning waking.  Since I have only been taking my 25mg/day Valium consistently for about 2 months, I was wondering about cutting my my Valium dose by 10%. Specifically by cutting my normal 10mg AM dose by 2.5mg as I take 15mg at night and 10mg in the AM, but my anxiety is gone; making my total Valium dose 22.5mg/day . My understanding from reading the link regarding  Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first? 

Is that it is best to taper one med at a time. I am only asking my question because of the relatively short period of time I have been on the Valium combined with the fact that my anxiety did not completely stop until I did the 10% cut from my Cymbalta reinstatement. Or should I just stay right where I am?

Thanks so much for your insight, Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

It's early days yet Woof, I wouldn't change anything else yet. I will alert the benzo mods to come and advise you on the valium. 

I am so pleased that this is working for you, try and  keep things as they are for a while longer before making any changes as it takes a while for the nervous system to settle down and changing things could disrupt things again. 

2002  effexor. 

Hello mammaP,

I do feel that I am pretty darn lucky to feel the way I do at such an early stage, considering the 20mg/day CT Cymbalta and then the 6 week later full dose reinstatement. So I am going to take your advice and sit tight with 10% Cymbalta cut for at least a full month.

I want to thank you again for making my life and the life of my family so very much better. 

Most Sincerely, Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a difficult call, but if Woof feels he can make a tiny cut to his valium, since he may not have built tolerance yet, that could save him pain and suffering later.  

I think 10% is quite a bit, just in case you would be safer with 5% and then again with 5% two weeks later if all goes well.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

Wellness and MammaP,

Thank you so much for your coordinated help for my particular situation. These recommendations seem quite reasonable to me. Of course I will proceed with caution and keep you updated. BTW, I had a great nights sleep last night and have actually felt totally normal for the past 2 days - even my Tinnitus is completely gone (at least for now). 

It seems like the more sleep I get, the less Tinnitus I experience. Since the 10% cut of my Cymbalta reinstatement, over the past week I have had 2 full days of no Tinnitus whatsover. I am thrilled with this improvement and was just wondering if you all have some potential insight as to why this very great improvement is occuring? :)

Thank you so very much,

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

This is great news Woof, I am delighted to hear it is going so well for you. When you take these drugs they affect the way the brain works. This is a good explanation, written by Rhianna, one of our mods.  (I will copy and paste it at the end of this post. )  The brain struggles and by the time the drug is reinstated has started to become sensitive to it, so you don't need as much of it.  Taking too much is toxic and causes lots of symptoms. Many people UPDOSE looking for relief and things get worse, then add more drugs............ when all that is needed is a smaller dose. I am so glad that it is working well for you. One thing I might add is that when I reinstated I felt fantastic, really great for a while then started to fade. That is normal as the brain adjusts to the drug again, so if you feel you are going backward don't panic, things will level out again.  Hopefully you will stay as you are! 

Rhi on brain remodelling

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-brain-remodeling/

2002  effexor. 

mammaP,

The brain remodeling post from Rhianna was very insightful.  I want to thank you again for all of your support, compassion and advice - you have been just awesome in your willingness to give. I wish you all the best.

Warmest Regards, Woof

I am doing very well emotionally; no anxiety and no agitiation. If I get a good nights sleep I have little to no tinnitus - Thank you! 

Currently, I only experience early morning waking anytime from 2-3 AM, but I go to sleep at 9PM so I feel fortunate in that I do generally get about 5 -6 hrs of sleep. 

After reading the "reinstatement link," I was wondering after a 6 week CT wd from 20mg/d Cymbalta dose, what would my recommended reinstatement dose have been - 10% or so of my original ?  I am asking this question, as I would like to have some idea (hope), of where in terms of dose I might hope to reach reinstatement and sleep well again, of course I am going to hold at the 10% cut for the full 4 weeks, but I think there are going to be many cuts to reach an equilibrium in my brain, as I overdosed it with my full 20mg/d Cymbalta reinstatement. I am currently at 18mg of Cymbalta and holding well.  I understand everyone is unique, so I in no way expect any absolute answer. 

Also, I have started my 5% (1.25mg) Valium reduction from my 25mg/day.  I have read the link on "which drug to stop first," and I think I understand Wellness' rationale for the reduction at this point and like Wellness said, it's a tough call, (considering my situation).  Although today is only my third day of this Valium cut, so far so good.

It's a difficult call, but if Woof feels he can make a tiny cut to his valium, since he may not have built tolerance yet, that could save him pain and suffering later.  

I think 10% is quite a bit, just in case you would be safer with 5% and then again with 5% two weeks later if all goes well.

I hope you all have pleasant weekend, Thank you so very much, Woof

Alto, I hope this post is appropriate for this reinstatement and stabilization forum. 

Before I found this site, I CT 20mg/day Cymbalta - Not Good.  6 weeks later I reinstated to my original dose of 20mg/day - Not to Good. 

Things were not getting better, but they were not getting worse.  So I started (re-started) taking Valium which did help bring my 10/10: agitation, anxiety, tinnitus and insomnia, down to 4/10 - although this too was ignorant and not good.  I stayed at the reinstated dose of 20mg/day Cymbalta for 4 months.  My doctor recommended increasing the dose of Cymbalta to 30mg/day, as things were not improving.

That night, I was so very fortunate to find this site. I was directed to this link and was subsequently advised to cut my 20mg/day Cymbalta dose by 10%.  It was absolutely wonderful, for the first time in 4 months my anxiety was completely gone,  and when I get a good nights sleep my tinnitus also completely goes away (at least for that day).  :) 

It's been 2.5 weeks since I made this cut and it's been a vast and lasting (for now) improvement.  Much thanks to all of you!!! Woof

• Administrator

Good to hear, woof. Your Intro topic is the place for updates about your situation.

You are welcome. Please let us know how you're doing -- in your Intro topic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update, Woof.

You are in a really good state to make small periodic cuts in dosage.  I hope this continues for you.  You may still get some tinnitus and it may come and go, but the fact that it has almost completely gone is a strong indication that it is all drug related and will go away when you are finished.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

Hi Wellness, Thank you for all the advice on the Valium taper and all the encouragement, especially with reference to the Tinnitus.  I was hopeful that these windows of absence from Tinnitus were a good sign and that the tinnitus may not be permanent. 

I don't know why, but I have definitely noticed a 1:1 relationship b/w the amount of sleep I get and my tinnitus; which is either completely gone for that day if I sleep well (more than 6 hours).  I had my best sleep since my CT Cymbalta wd 4 months ago last night, a full 8 hours :) and my Tinnitus is completely gone again - for today. :) MammaP, thanks again!

I have never mentioned this before, but the original reason I tapered completely off of my periodic Valium use from January-July of 2015 @ 10% per week, was that I thought the tinnitus was caused by my  periodic Valium use.  After completing my Valium taper the tinnitus went from 3/10 to 1/10. However, 4 months post taper it never totally resolved.  Also, there were no windows of complete absence of tinnitus, as I have recently experienced since making a 10% cut in my Cymbalta dose last month.

I previously thought that since my Cymbalta dose was sub-therapeutic at 20mg, that it was an unlikely culprit of the tinnitus. Also, due to the relatively low dose I was on I thought I could CT the Cymbalta.  Was I ever wrong, when I CT'd the Cymbalta the Tinnitus was 10/10, virtually unbearable and it was definitely one of the worst aspects of my CT wd and reinstatement.  As I look back, I am speculating that I was having hyperacuasis from the Valium (which did go away 1 month after the Valium taper), but that the actual cause of the tinnitus was my 10 year hx of daily "low dose" 20mg Cymbalta. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Much thanks to all!!!

Woof :)

You are welcome. Please let us know how you're doing -- in your Intro topic.

Hello Altostrata!

I have read the links on 10% tapering and stabilization and reinstatement and I was hoping to get your thoughts on my particular case in terms of tapering my Cymbalta at this point in time. After I CT'd Cymbalta 20mg/day, reinstated 6 weeks later at 20mg/day and then held for for 4 months; I found this site and was advised by MammaP to cut by 10%.  That 10% cut made my anxiety vanish that day and has been gone for 3 weeks now, and have had no additional wd sx's whatsoever.

At this point would you recommend I follow the tapering protocol outlined in the, "Why taper by 10% of my dosage" link.  My understanding of the taper protocol when someone starts out tapering appropriately, is to make 2 consecutive 10% cuts every 4 weeks and if these cuts are well tolerated, one could make a 10% cut every 3 weeks for 2 cycles, if well tolerated.   

I was wondering since I put myself on too high a dose when I reinstated and immediately improved subsequent to the recommended 10% cut, would you suggest I hold here for the full 4 weeks or perhaps make another 10% cut at 3 weeks, which would be in two days?  Or in my particular case should I strictly adhere to cuts every 4 weeks, as tolerated, for the duration  of my taper? 

I am asking these questions, because I am concerned that I may currently be taking too much Cymbalta for my brain, although I am now down to 18mg/day for the past 3 weeks with no wd sx's and only improvement noted.  My concern is the 2-4 AM wake-up and tinnitus which is associated with my 2-4 AM wake-up; as when I get more sleep I don't have any tinnitus.

Sorry for all the questions, but in going through the links I was not able to find a situation like mine in terms of tapering - I am sure I just missed it.

Thanks so much, Woof :)

Hi Woof--  the 4 week hold that is recommended is for the absolute minimum amount of time. It's not recommended to hold for less because it takes a long time for the brain to sort things out and symptoms have a nasty habit of showing up after a long time with no problems.  If a taper schedule is rushed those symptoms will compound on top of each other and then one day explode in a very unpleasant manner.  No matter how good you feel it is always safer to error on the side of caution and wait a little longer. Once the symptoms have compounded and showed up it leaves the brain in a sensitized state that is very hard and a long time recovering from.

If you're not feeling side effects or WD symptoms right now, that is a good place to be.  We all want off as fast as possible, but there is a lot of healing going on that we are not conscience of, which can't be rushed.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

woof, all the mods here have given you excellent advice: Do not rush your taper.

It does sound like you reinstated at too high a dose of Cymbalta. If I were you, I would not start a 10% taper for at least a month since the last dosage change.

Thank you Brassmonkey and Altostrata, :)

I am starting to notice some anxiety coming on and am also waking a bit earlier, 2 AM vs. 3:00 to 4:30 AM.  Wellness, had advised me that if my anxiety wd sx's should re-appear that I should reinstate my Valium immediately, so I shall do so. It appears that I need to stabilize and continue a slow 10% taper on my Cymbalta before tapering the Valium.

Other than my 2 AM waking and tinnitus, I feel emotionally good and stable, is my progress consistent with a successful Cymbalta reinstatement?  Is it very likely that my reinstatement of Valium, is masking a failed Cymbalta reinstatement?

I was also considering taking a low dose (50mg) of L-Thiamine or Seriphos when I wake up at 2-AM to help me to go back to sleep - any thoughts?

Much thanks to all, Woof

Thanks to all, for your great advice, support and patience with me - I think I finally understand.  BTW I feel I am stabilizing well, thank you and I am calmly holding.

From 2004-2008, I had actually been taking one 20mg Cymbalta pill at 6 AM and one 20mg pill at 2PM.  In 2008, the neuropathy in my neck had substantially decreased, so I decided to decrease my Cymbalta dose by 50%, by eliminating the 20mg 2PM dose. I had absolutely no wd symptoms whatsover.

I did not think this was important previously; however, now I believe it is very important, at least in terms of my own understanding of what happened to me and how to proceed.  I had previously been struggling a bit with trying to understand what had happened to me and why I had such severe Cymbalta CT withdrawal; what had me so bemused was my previous experience in 2008 of just cutting the 20mg 2PM dose of Cymbalta.

I continued taking the 20mg pill at 6 AM from 2008- until November 2014 at Thanksgiving, I thought that I could simply "cold turkey" my  6 AM 20mg pill, as I had cut the PM 20mg pill CT in the past, without any wd problems whatsoever. 

I had also previously thought that, because I was on a, "sub-therapeutic" dose that I could: A) CT the Cymbalta and B) taper faster than others.  Boy, did I ever have things perfectly backwards. 

My understanding now, is exactly what you all have been advising me to do, ie to hold and stabilize for at least one month.  I had no idea of how withdrawal worked and the importance of potentially decreasing % cuts and holding longer at lower doses.

I was totally unaware of the, "Oh Oh point" on the graph shown in the article and excerpts below and the exponential fashion in which these drugs work at small, "sub-therapeutic," doses doses until I read the following post in the in the Topic/forums section by "dcrmt"entitled:

"Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration"

http://ils.unc.edu/b...iew/tmp/352.pdf or http://survivinganti...mography-study/

http://www.mediafire...0yp2c8pbjrziaab ]

The following excerpts from Alto were also on this Topic/forum thread:

Here are examples of the fit curves:

Major break through Woof, well done.

Brassmonkey,

Thank you for the encouraging words, they mean so very much to me!

Woof