SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Woof: Cymbalta re-stabilization, after cold turkey withdrawal

woof

• Administrator

"Therapeutic" dose is an arbitrary decision by the drug company for packaging the drug. In psychiatric drugs, it has no real meaning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woof

• apace41

• scallywag

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Alto,

Thanks for the clarification.  You are spot on, as the “therapeutic/typical” dose of an AD appears, at least to my mind, to actually be an overdose!  Your point is underscored by the incredible graphs within the above referenced article.  Hence, the terms “therapeutic, typical and sub-therapeutic” doses are not applicable with reference to ADs - I learned this the hard way -ouch!  :o  I believe this article should be a mandatory part of “informed consent” for health care providers prescribing ADs and patients taking ADs. 

Thanks Again,

Woof :)

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

Hello to all, :)

I am now 30 days out from my 10% cut on April 21st.  My 10% cut was made from a total of 194 beads/day (Lilly 20 mg pill) and I reduced by 19 beads down to 175 beads/day.  Once the beads are removed I re-cap the pill.

My sleep and tinnitus have been very stable since the cut (especially over the past 10 days) and I have had no Neuro-emotional symptoms since the cut.

My sleep is stable from 9pm to 3am (6hrs) and I am in no distress when I wake.  Prior to my CT wd, I slept from 10pm to 6am (8hrs). 

My tinnitus has been stable at 0-2/10 in intensity, which I don’t notice too much unless I focus on it and I do try not to.  Prior to my CT wd, my tinnitus was 1/10 in intensity.

Over the past three days my tinnitus has been totally gone - at least for now.

At this point, should I stabilize longer until my sleep is back to normal, or is sleep one of the last things to normalize - if it ever does?  Alternatively, should I go ahead with an additional 10% cut (from 175 beads - 17 beads) down to 158 beads/day?

One last question, have I successfully reinstated, or can that be answered at this time?

I thank you all for your time, patience, empathy and expertise!

Most Sincerely,

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

Hi Woof--  excellent update, I'm so glad things are settling in so well.  It's only been just over 4 weeks since the cut. That's the minimum amount of time that we suggest, personally I would wait another two weeks before doing anything.  Give it plenty of time to settle in.  Sleep is such a variable I wouldn't use it as an indicator of when to taper. Except to not taper if things are bad.  Enjoy it while it's good and tolerate it when it's acting up is about all you can do there.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Brassmonkey,

Thanks for the advice on holding on my taper; as well as with reference to the information on sleep.  Your rationale on letting my brain settle in for another 2 weeks makes total sense to me, as I have noticed more stabilization over the past 10 days and the tinnitus is gone - for now

Do you happen to know if stability and or improvement of tinnitus is a relatively good indicator of stability at a particular dose - just curious? 

Thanks so much,

Woof

For me the tinnitus had been pretty constant my entire taper.  I also had it really good before I started to taper.  Over the years it has decreased in total volume.  It always increased with each drop but settled back to a WDnormal state after a few weeks.  So yes I think it is a pretty good indicator of stability. That being said I think that mine also has to do with being exposed to to constant loud noise all day at work and that will take some time to heal now that I'm in a more quiet environment.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the information!  :) 

Woof

I have been holding for 5 weeks from my 10% 20mg/day Cymbalta cut down to 18mg/day, and all is very good. Currently my only issue is sleep.  I sleep well from 9pm to 3am (6hrs) and am in no distress when I wake.  I do not in anyway take for granted how extremely fortunate I am to be where I am. Much thanks to all! :) 

I had a thought, which I would appreciate some advice on.

I have been on 25 mg/d of Valium for three months, since March of 2016.  My understanding is that after 4 weeks or so of regular/daily usage, that one should use a 5-10%/month taper to come off of Valium.

I have no intention of cutting more than one drug at a time.  :)

However, if advisable, I would like to reduce the amount of Valium which I take per day down from 25mg/day to about 10 mg/day.  I think this is a safer dose of Valium considering my Cymbalta taper could potentially take 3-4 years.  

So In an effort to reduce my daily Valium intake, I was wondering what your thoughts are on holding at my current dose of 18mg/day of Cymbalta for a few months; to allow me some time to cut my Valium down to about 10mg/day while I am holding at my current dose of 18mg/day of Cymbalta; then resume my Cymbalta taper, perhaps even 6 months subsequent to the Valium taper to allow the GABA receptors some time to recover -  with NO over-lapping of tapers. 

My understanding is that it is best to taper off of the AD, "accelerator," first and then taper off of the Benzo's, "Brakes," after.  

The above is merely a consideration I had and you all have led me to where I am now and I am so very, very glad that I have found this site and followed all your advice.  So if you think I should just stay the course, I will do so gladly. :)

Thanks so much, Woof :)

It's been 6 weeks since my initial 10% cut from Cymbalta 20mg/day (194 beads) down to 175 beads (194 - 19 = 175 beads) and I have had no wd sx's. :)  So today,  I plan to make another 10% cut from the Cymbalta (175 beads) down to 158 beads (175 - 17 = 158 beads). I hope this goes as smoothly as the last cut. 

The article entitled, "Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration," brought to us by "dcrmt" did not have a graph of Cymbalta (as they both came out in 2004), but by extrapolating from the Effexor graph and it's typical prescribed dose of 75mg/day and the typical prescribed Cymbalta dose of 60mg/day; I would estimate that I am at some point along the straight down portion of the graph.  So I will definitely proceed with caution.  :excl: 

Much thanks to "dcrmt!!!" 

Thanks to All,

I believe I will most likely encounter wd sx's with this cut, as at this low of a dose (approx 16 mg Cymbalta/day) I think am now probably on the vertical aspect of the dose related curve.

So my question is, when do wd sx's usually begin to manifest themselves after a cut has been made?  I thought I may have read somewhere on this site that people tend to notice them at 4-7 days after the cut, I just don't recall for sure and would appreciate any insight regarding this issue.

Thank you,

• Moderator Emeritus

So my question is, when do wd sx's usually begin to manifest themselves after a cut has been made?  I thought I may have read somewhere on this site that people tend to notice them at 4-7 days after the cut, I just don't recall for sure and would appreciate any insight regarding this issue.

Woof,

Congrats on the cut going so well at this point.  While you may experience symptoms, it is not a foregone conclusion so remain optimistic and you may be one of the "lucky ones."

As far as when the symptoms will appear anecdotally it seems that it is incredibly individual in the same manner that "when the drug takes effect" is individual.  We have people who notice a cut the same day and some who don't notice anything for a week or more.  4 days is how long it takes, on average, for the change to be fully absorbed into the blood stream so that is why that time frame resonates for many.  The best thing you can do is keep close track of your daily pattern after you cut so you can ascertain how YOU react to the taper.

The hope is that your symptoms, whatever they are, are replicated with each cut so that you know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the information, guidance and words of encouragement. 

I hope all goes well with you as well, especially now that you have the liquid form. These drugs sensitize us so much it's amazing that such a minor error can set us back a bit.  I am relatively new to all of this, but it seems to me that once improvement begins things tend to move in that direction, so long as we stay the course and also avoid upsetting events, such as those which life tends to present to us on a daily basis. :ph34r:

Thanks Again,

All the best,

Woof

Hello to All, :)

I feel very good and stable and have been steadily improving since MammaP originally recommended that I cut 10% from my reinstatement dose of my full pre-CT dose of 20mg Cymbalta - which I now know was way too high.  Thank you!

I have now started my second 10% cut of Cymbalta and other than total elimination of anxiety, improvement in sleep and decreased tinnitus; the only thing I have noticed with both cuts has been some very mild 1-2/10 tingling-like paraesthesias on my forearms, which resolves within days. 

Within a week after my first Cymbalta cut, I also tried to cut 5% from the 25mg/day Valium which I had been taking for about 2 months. Once I noticed the paraesthesias on my forearms I thought it was the 5% Valium cut, so I immediately reinstated to 25mg, as I had been advised to do. 

Now that I have experienced the paraesthesias come and go, with or without any cut in Valium, with both Cymbalta cuts; I feel confident that the paraesthesias are from the Cymbalta cuts and not the 5% Valium cut which I attempted with my first Cymbalta cut.  My understanding is this is, at least in part, why this site so very wisely does NOT recommend adding another med to the mix.  Of course I added the Valium prior to finding this site and all of you, which I most sincerely feel are all absolutely fantastic!  :)    

My understanding is that after 4weeks of daily Valium usage one should taper off.  I have now been taking Valium daily for 3 months, so I am going to once again attempt the 5% Valium taper while holding the Cymbalta at 158 beads (approx. 16mg), until I get the Valium down to 5 or 10 mg. My plan is to start the Valium taper at a rate of 5% every two weeks and adjust from there. 

After a month of holding at 5 or 10 mg of Valium, I then plan to resume the Cymbalta taper from 158 beads (approx. 16mg), as my understanding is that it is best to taper the AD first.  

On page 1 of this thread, when I first found this site, JanCarol had mentioned to me something about getting to 10 mg of Cymbalta and then possibly addressing the Valium issue. 

JanCarol, is this the manner in which you were speaking of in terms of dealing with the Valium, even though I have not yet reached the 10mg Cymbalta level which you had mentioned?

I would appreciate any thoughts or other issues I should be aware of in moving forward with this plan of action.

Thanks to all,

Most Sincerely,

Update,

Cymbalta taper is going very well. :)

My insomnia is decreasing, I am getting up to 7 plus hours sleep per night, generally 9PM to 4:30 AM, which is close to normal for me.  Is this most likely due to my mind becoming stabilized to 16 mg Cymbalta?

One week of 5% Valium taper and so far so good - no Valium wd sx's. 

I plan to hold at this dose of 16mg Cymbalta for a total of 6 weeks, to enhance Cymbalta stabilization; while tapering Valium over the last 4 weeks of the Cymbalta hold. 

When I make my next Cymbalta cut on July 1st, I plan to hold the Valium taper for the first 2 weeks of the Cymbalta cut, in an effort to help ensure that any sx's are attributable to Cymbalta and not Valium - just as I have done with this initial Valium cut.

I am hopeful that I can proceed with my taper in the manner.  That is, cut 10% Cymbalta for a full 6 weeks and limit the Valium cuts to the last 4 weeks of the Cymbalta cut and hold the Valium dose for the first 2 weeks of the Cymbalta cut - and repeat.

Any words of wisdom? :)

Thanks for all the help, Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

We usually recommend keeping tapers entirely separate, but if you are still wanting to do them by turns like this then be sure to have good holds between switches.  At least 4 weeks between any reductions.  Your plan above looks like it might be moving a bit faster than that. 

Your increasing sleep is a very good sign of stabilisation - which you don't want to lose by moving too fast.  The small print, so to speak, is that w/d effects are cumulative and may begin to affect you increasingly as you go.  Hence the suggestion of keeping the pace slow and steady.

Hope that helps,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your concern and wisdom. :)

I know I am in a very different situation now, but I will add to my introduction that from Jan-July 2015 I tapered off of 5-30mg Valium once or twice per week X 10 years at a rate of 10% per week without wd.

As I said above, I know I am in a very different situation now, as I am tapering off of Cymbalta and Valium and this is subsequent to a CT'd Cymbalta, in addition to a bit late and too high of a reinstatement dose.  And finally, I am now tapering two meds.  So, while I am going slower, I may not be going slow enough. 

Do you happen to know if Valium has the same exponential curve (escarpment) at lower than typical doses, as ADs do?  It makes total sense to me that the AD's should not be tapered faster than q 4 weeks.

Thanks Again,

• Moderator Emeritus

woof, Have you looked at the Ashton thread? It or the Ashton manual might have answers to your question about taper rates.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks Scallywag,

I will look into the Ashton thread and thanks for the link. 

I also wanted to thank you for the graph which you recently posted with reference to Cymbalta and skipping doses.  Do you think that skipping days and then going CT is possibly more harmful than going CT (which I have learned the hard way is way bad).  I am asking this, because I actually skipped days for about 4 weeks prior to my CT (1 week of every other day followed by 1 week of every 3rd day, etc. and then I went CT and crashed way bad).  I really did not notice any symptoms harsh sx's until 4 weeks after CT of Cymbalta.  

I wish I had not CT'd and I am very happy for you that you didn't CT. :)   I had never been very sensitive to any meds and now I am very sensitive to all of them.  Live and learn, I have confidence that I will make it through this; however it's going to be a "long road."

Thanks Woof

Hi Scallywag,

I just now briefly scanned through the Ashton Thread you so kindly provided - and Wow!  

I will read all of the links which Alto so kindly provided, tonight after work. 

I previously came off of the Valium so easily; however now I am quite concerned, which is good, but unfortunately also creates some anxiety. 

I had prevously been wondering why I would see so many peoples introductions with 1 or 2 mg of Valium which they were remaining on or tapering by tenths of mg per month - now I have a much better insight as to why.

That being said some anxiety now is infinitely better than crashing.  I never want to go through that again. 

Thanks so much!

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

I was ok, no noticeable symptoms, on skipping 1 day between Cymbalta doses. Symptoms started appearing with skipping 2 days.

You're welcome for the links. I'm delighted that you found them helpful and will apply the information to stay safe and well!

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

We usually recommend keeping tapers entirely separate, but if you are still wanting to do them by turns like this then be sure to have good holds between switches.  At least 4 weeks between any reductions.  Your plan above looks like it might be moving a bit faster than that. 

Hi KarenB, :)

I just wanted to clarify, in my mind, with reference to, at least 4 weeks between any reductions.  Did you mean to hold any reductions for a minimum of 4 weeks vs. the 2 week 5% reduction of Valium I had planned?  That is, were you suggesting that I hold the Valium cut for at least 4 weeks.  Or was there an something more which I missed?  Such as holding on all cuts for 4 weeks to stabilize prior to making any cuts at all.

I consider everyone's advice on this site with great respect and I just wanted to be sure of your recommendation. :)

Thanks so much Woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

woof - yep, if you want to taper both, the suggestion is to alternate reductions: drop cymbalta, hold 4 weeks; drop valium, hold 4 weeks. repeat.

Small reductions (smaller than 10%) and keeping track of your symptoms diligently are *both* very important when you're doing a complex/combined taper. Please keep updating on your plans and symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you so much for the clarification! 

After becoming familiar with this site, I would not in general be in any hurry whatsoever to get off of any particular drug.  And I would have CT'd the Cymbalta or had a need to re-start my Valium, but this is I have put myself into. 

After coming to this site my only fear has been that I have been on Valium at 25mg/day for over 3 months now, which to me seems like a rather high dose and I have been wondering how to best reduce the Valium dose down a bit, while I still may have a chance of not going through a severe/painful Valium withdrawal process.  I don't even know if tapering from 25 mg/d of Valium is that much different from tapering from say 10mg/day. :blink:

My plan has always been to stay on the Valium until I completed my Cymbalta taper, albeit at a lower dose such as 5-10 mg. Again, at this point I don't even know if this is a moot point. 

I just didn't know if getting my Valium down to a lower dose would decrease my chances of having a severe painful Valium withdrawal process. 

Considering all of the above, would you recommend that I simply hold at the 25mg/day Valium and then possibly deal with the Valium when I get to approximately 10mg/day Cymbalta.  I mention 10mg/day of Cymbalta, because as you can see from my Intro below, I reinstated at my full CT dose after 6 weeks and I was thinking that the 10mg/day would have been a lot closer to the dose I may have reinstated well at, without all the wd sx's and need for Valium. 

This is all sheer speculation on my part, but this is what I have been thinking.  Is this rationale even in the ballpark?  Rationalizing is very difficult when one (me) knows so little about this subject matter.  :blink: 

Lastly, the Cymbalta taper has been going quite awesome, except that for the past two mornings when I wake up I have not felt as calm and relaxed as I have been throughout the taper.  I feel like I am answering my own question.  :blink: 

I still plan on reading all the links which Alto had listed on the Ashton Thread which you provided for me tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you for all of your time and efforts on my behalf! :)

One last question, if I were to updose the Valium back to 25 mg/day, should I take an extra 12.5mg to get back to that level, as I have been on 23.75 mg now for 10 days, which would = a total decrease of 1.25mg X 10 days = 12.5mg

Or should I just resume taking the 25mg/day dose? 

Sorry for all the questions, but I am learning it is better to ask now, than to find out I should not have done something.  I want to try not to make any avoidable mistakes.

Thanks Woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof, pop over to the benzo forum, start a thread there.  The moderator with the most knowledge about benzos and their tapers checks there frequently.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks Scallywag,

Will do.

Hello to All, :)

I am looking forward to cut my Cymbalta by 10% in 2 weeks, which will total a 6 week hold.  :) 

Do you believe the dose of Cymbalta I am currently on (16mg/day) may be too high and toxic for me and that I need to get to a lower dose to approximate the dose I should be on, after a proper reinstatetment; given that I CT'd 20mg/d of Cymbalta and reinstated at about 6 weeks to the full CT dosage of 20mg/d of Cymbalta?  Or is holding the key for me at this point?  I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding this issue.

I have now tried two times to cut 5% of my Valium while cutting 10% of Cymbalta.  But each time I have attempted this, after about 7-10 days I start to wake earlier and with some degree of anxiousness.  Also, my Tinnitus is a bit more intense and constatnt at about 2-3/10 when I try this.   So, cutting even 5% of the Valium does not seem to work for me, at least not while I am cutting 10% of the Cymbalta. :(

Thanks Woof :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi woof,

Your symptoms are diminishing, your quality of life is improving. Drug toxicity is unlikely, even after 11 years total use: 4 years at 40 mg followed by 7 years at 20 mg.

There's a quote I like:

" ... a medieval physican Paracelsus[, who] formulated the toxicologist's rule: "the dose makes the poison."   Toxins are not dangerous at low doses; but at high doses they can be deadly." Perfect Health Diet, P. & SC Jaminet, 2011

You are reducing your dose, therefore you are reducing Cymbalta's toxic load on your system. You can stop worrying about this. Taper carefully and you won't have to worry about withdrawal symptoms either!

About tapering valium and cymbalta at the same time: We don't recommend it. It seems you've come to the same conclusion. Shep posted a link (post #2 of the thread, on page 1) that discusses this: Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first.

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag, Thanks you for the words of wisdom and encouragement. :)

I hope you have a pleasant evening,

Hi Scallywag, :)

Insomnia, in the form of early morning waking (3-4AM) is my primary wd sx at this point, so I was wondering what time you take your 250 mcg of Melatonin.  Also do you happen to know if that equals 0.25mg of Melatonin?

Thanks Again

Woof 

• Moderator Emeritus

woof,

When I take melatonin

- I take it 2-3 hours before I intend to go to bed or at dusk

- I avoid bright light and the predominantly blue light from televisions, computers, tablets/iPad, and mobile phones.

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks for the info Scallywag, :)

I think I'll give it a try and see how things go. :)

• Administrator

Melatonin will not stop early-morning waking, that's the time your own natural melatonin declines and cortisol, the daytime hormone, starts to rise.

What I've done is take magnesium with glycine and taurine when I wake up. It takes a while, but this seems to aid going back to sleep.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,

Thank you!  May I ask what dosages of magnesium with glycine and taurine you use?

Also, is there a potential problem with me holding at my current dose of 16mg for a few months or longer? 

Or would you recommend that I get to a lower dose prior to holding for an extended period of time? 

My goal in holding for a longer period of time is in an attempt to regain my pre CT state, primarily with regards to sleep. From your experience how long of a hold do you think this might take? 

My primary reason for getting off Cymbalta in the first place, was that my neck was decreasing in pain and I felt that I may not need it any longer.  That is, I was not having any problem with the Cymbalta per se.

Finally, with what I know now, I do plan to eventually completely taper off of Cymbalta first and then Valium - slowly and not simultaneously.

Thanks so much,

• Moderator Emeritus

Holding longer to stabilize is recommended, woof; it's a rare problem that's easily handled by starting to taper again.

I can't answer your questions about Alto's magnesium, glycine and taurine doses. :D

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Scallywag, :)

Your insight is greatly appreciated!

Woof