SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Woof: Cymbalta re-stabilization, after cold turkey withdrawal

woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Awesome, Woof!

Yes, a good solid hold to "consolidate your gains" would be very smart.

Enjoy your happiness!

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woof

• apace41

• scallywag

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally concur with your advice Andy.  I am going to hold at this level and enjoy life a bit.

Very, very slowly I will see if I can add other things I used to enjoy,of course - One at a time and in very, very small amounts. 

It's kind of interesting that due to truely intense pain I gave Vicodin a try after 7 months of abstinence. I have had no poblems at all with it not even constipation, which I believe the Magnesium is perhaps balancing out. :)

All the Best,

Woof

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

I believe the change in my sensitivity towards Vicodin may be a manifestation of my brain begining to heal, because my brain had definitively become sensitized to Vicodin after my CT of Cymbalta. 

Has anyone heard of such an event as being a indicator of healing?

I have been holding now for almost 8 weeks and I am feeling a lot better now.  

My sleep is also beginning to normalize; I want to sleep more, which is great form me.

This longer hold has had a very positive affect, so my plan at this point is to continue with this hold for another 3-4 months or so.

One last thing, I am realizing that things which in the past, would have normally caused me to have minimal anxiety does in fact cause a more noticeable level of anxiety, but this has been so since the CT,  I just had not realized it.

Much Thanks to you all,

Woof :)

If on a Benzo for a relatively short period of time, such as less than 6-12 months, one may want to consider tapering off their Benzo first (please see Will Hall's book on Harm Reduction)

Prior to commencing with an AD taper please consider what problems the AD is causing, as tapering is an extremely serious endeavor.   

If one has been on an AD for more than 10 yrs. please consider the potential long term negative consequences of AD withdrawal prior to tapering. (please see Drs. Healy, Glenmullen and Shipko) 

Prior to re-starting an AD taper, please do not resume tapering until all w/d sx's from any prior taper, especially CT, have resolved. 

2004 - Dec. 2015,  Cymbalta 20mg/d  for neck pain - Never had problems with Cymbalta.   Dec 2015, CT 20mg/d Cymbalta.  5 weeks later reinstated 20mg/d Cymbalta - without increase in CT sx's.   

Feb 2016 STARTED VALIUM 25mg/d for CT Cymbalta wd sxs.    Jan-April 2016 Held Cymbalta 20mg/d - doing pretty well (AM 3/10 anxiety and 3/10 tinnitus)

April 2016, CT Cymbalta sx's had not yet resolved and I prematurely tapered 10% q 4 wks x 3 mos.  After 3rd cut developed 10/10 wd sx's of Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Panic attacks, dark, incresaed Valium to 28mg/d. 

November 2016, after 3 cuts, UP-DOSED all (41 beads) back up to 20mg (193 beads total) Cymbalta - from , dark to light.

VALIUM TAPER: Jan 2017 28mg to March 2019 Zero   Cymbalta has partially stabilized and helped with the Valium taper.  The only sx I have now is 3/10 Tinnitus, which I only notice when it is quiet.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11900-woof-cymbalta-re-stabilization-after-cold-turkey-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11951-woof-valium-scheduling-and-dosage-with-cymbalta-wd-symptoms/

I have been holding now for almost 12 weeks and I am continuing to feel more and more stable. 

I had no problem taking the Vicodin or in it's discontinuation.  As I had been sensitive to Vicodin in the past, what's my status now in terms of sensitization to other meds? 

My sleep, which was my primary wd sx, is now consistently back to it's normal 9 PM to 6 AM cycle.  Can I expect this aspect of the wd sx's to be stable now and continue?

Could the Valium be masking all of these wd sx's?   If I taper off the Valium 10% every 6-8 weeks, should I expect a Crash via manifistation of Cymbalta wd sx's?  

Work has been as stessfull as ever, but at least now I can sleep.

Thanks Woof

:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Woof.  Great you are feeling well.  My thoughts below.

Could the Valium be masking all of these wd sx's?   If I taper off the Valium 10% every 6-8 weeks, should I expect a Crash via manifistation of Cymbalta wd sx's?  

Like the financial warnings the "past performance is no guarantee of future results" nobody can (or should) tell you that you are now free to take any and everything without concern.  It is highly individualized and case-specific.  If you decide to try other meds/supplements from time to time, do so carefully and with an eye toward any issues that might warrant discontinuation before you get in too deep.

My sleep, which was my primary wd sx, is now consistently back to it's normal 9 PM to 6 AM cycle.  Can I expect this aspect of the wd sx's to be stable now and continue?

I would think that in the absence of some insult to your system, your sleep should remain stable.  However, insults can come in varying ways, including, given that you are holding, when you restart the taper.  Hence the reason to go slowly and carefully when you do restart.  The extreme positive is that you should now feel confident that given time and careful effort, you will heal from all of this, even after you taper off

"Masking" is the negative connotation.  "Cushioning" might be a better term.  Why are you planning on tapering the Valium prior to the Cymbalta?  The general advice here would most likely be that you should taper the A/D first so the benzo could do just that -- provide a safety blanket as you taper.  It is possible that you are getting protection from the Valium, but, hopefully, if you taper slowly and carefully off of both you can minimize symptoms.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

HI Andy, :)

If I had been on both meds for a similar period of time and there was no CT crash and burn history associated with the Cymbalta, I would definitely cut the Cymbalta first.

As the 20mg dose of Cymbalta was causing no clinically manifest problems at the time of my CT of Cymbalta, I thought that perhaps I might remain at my current dose of Cymbalta (14.5mg) for at least a year, after I completely taper off of the Valium.

After a year of after being off the Valium, I then plan to resume a "proper" Cymbalta taper.  Considering my current (14.5mg) dose, that taper would be 3% per week for 1-3 weeks and then hold for 3 months.

As opposed to 7 years on Cymbalta and a CT crash and burn, I have been on Valium for a relatively short period of time (6 months) with no CT crash and burn.

So, I was thinking that a Valium taper at 5% per month, perhaps would be a good thing for me to consider at this point in time, as the Cymbalta wd sx's have primarily abated and there has never been a CT crash and burn regarding the Valium.

Does this make any sense?  If not please advise.

Thanks so much,

I have no particular adherence to one mode of taper over another in consideration of the 6 month period of Valium use. 

Thanks so  much,

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof:  I'm trying to understand your thinking about starting to taper Valium now and holding on your Cymbalta.  What are your thoughts about what Andy posted above having the Valium cushion your Cymbalta withdrawal?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof,

I understand the general thought process you have which can be reformulated as "I wasn't on the Valium all that long so tapering it should be easier." That may or may not be true. We have no way of knowing how quickly your GABA receptors down regulated in the presence of Valium. You could be "just as dependent" on the Valium to do what it does as you are to the effects of the Cymbalta. All we really know right now is that you are pretty stable on 14.5 of Cymbalta and 25 of Valium. You have never done a Cymbalta taper with Valium present to cushion the effects. I would be inclined to start a very slow taper of Cymbalta leaving the Valium in place.

Given that you had a bad experience getting off Cymbalta before (putting aside that you did it the wrong way), I would think that using the benzo to support the A/D withdrawal would make even more sense for you. You would have to taper the Valium at this point anyway, so why not use it to your advantage while you are on it?

Best,

Andy

I will get back in as soon as possible.  I am having a terrible Wave right now, I think it may be due stopping the two weeks of Vicodin on Friday.  Hopefully, this will run its course in two weeks or so. :ph34r:

To clarify the above

I had no problems taking the Vicodin then at the end of my treatment for pain, I did a taper Vicodin which was completed this passed Friday.  So while I can tolerate Vicodin I am having a very rough time now that it's completely out of my system.   I think I should stick with the game-plan of no pyschoactive meds.

Woof,

I understand the general thought process you have which can be reformulated as "I wasn't on the Valium all that long so tapering it should be easier." That may or may not be true. We have no way of knowing how quickly your GABA receptors down regulated in the presence of Valium. You could be "just as dependent" on the Valium to do what it does as you are to the effects of the Cymbalta. All we really know right now is that you are pretty stable on 14.5 of Cymbalta and 25 of Valium. You have never done a Cymbalta taper with Valium present to cushion the effects. I would be inclined to start a very slow taper of Cymbalta leaving the Valium in place.

Given that you had a bad experience getting off Cymbalta before (putting aside that you did it the wrong way), I would think that using the benzo to support the A/D withdrawal would make even more sense for you. You would have to taper the Valium at this point anyway, so why not use it to your advantage while you are on it?

Best,

Andy

Andy, Sorry for qouting you in the following as well - I don't know how to multi quote yet. :unsure:  "Masking" is the negative connotation.  "Cushioning" might be a better term.  Why are you planning on tapering the Valium prior to the Cymbalta?  The general advice here would most likely be that you should taper the A/D first so the benzo could do just that -- provide a safety blanket as you taper.  It is possible that you are getting protection from the Valium, but, hopefully, if you taper slowly and carefully off of both you can minimize symptoms.

My desire to taper the Valium now vs. later was that I was thinking that I would be on 25 Valium for 2 years vs. 6 months.  As Believe the Cymbalta taper will take approx a year and a half. 

At this point I don't even know if I would have been able to reinstate without Valium, as I initially took alcohol (a form of a benzo) to control the initial post CT wd sx's and from there I went to Valium. 

I did not notice that reinstatement made things any worse, but I had already started alcohol and was in sheer hell at the time.  But the addition of the Valium has certainly made things livable and at times even totally normal. 

Does "reinstating" in this manner, a Valium assisted reinstatement, generally better than no reinstatement and subsequent taper - in terms the overall out come (PAWS)?

Sorry for all the questions :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof,

I wouldn't spend too much time focusing on how you got here, rather I would put my focus on what to do now that you are here.  In that vein, I'm not sure whether 2 years on Valium means that much versus 6 months on Valium -- at least not when you are adding the other 2 years to the Cymbalta taper if you do the Valium first.

I think you need to get through this little blip with the Vicodin (or whatever else might be causing a wave) and then look at the tapering approach again.  I'm pretty clear on my position, but reasonable minds can differ and it is your journey at the end of the day.

Best,

Andy

Andy,

Sorry for my massive panic attack.   It's 2:15, Cortisol is going down I feel better.

In terms of recovery Is it generally preferable to reinstate and then taper, even though I one had to use Valium to do so?  

Thanks for all of your help,

Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof,

I'm assuming the other option would be not reinstating and suffering through the C/T? 

If that is the case, there are some people who managed pretty well with the C/T when all was said and done (AliG comes to mind), but there was suffering along the way.  There is no way to predict for sure how someone will respond to that approach.  Some people can suffer for a long time with no reinstatement and gutting it out.  Over the course of many cases, the general thought is that tapering is likely to bring the best results with the least amount of adversity but it can vary by person.

Your added question is essentially whether it is better to taper even if it means adding Valium to the mix.  That's really hard to answer.  Obviously, you have a second med to taper but you are able to function.  I guess my way of looking at it, Woof, is that you are where you are and going down this path of "did I do the right thing?" creates nothing but opportunities to doubt yourself.  If you had not reinstated and added the Valium, you might have been one of the "lucky ones" who was able to recover in a reasonable period of time.  You might just as easily been someone who wound up in a very long protracted withdrawal that kept you largely disabled.  There is really no way to know.

I would focus my time and energy on healing from your current wave rather than worrying if past actions might have been different.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Andy,

I just can't express into words how much your kindness and guidance is appreciated. 

Most Sincerely,

Woof

I am feeling better, today is a 3-4/10 in anxiety, yesterday was a 7/10. So that's a good thing. Thanks again for all the support.

Of interest to me and possibly to some others is that from 2004-2008 I had taken Cymbalta 20mg BID, once in AM and once at 2 PM for a total of 40mg/day. 

In 2008 I dropped (50%) in dosage of Cymbalta (20mg), and I had no wd sx's at all, which was why I thought I could simply do it again and CT the last 20mg in Dec 2015.

However, this 50% decrease in dose almost exactly equates to a 10% reduction in terms Cymbalta's 5 HTT occupancy (activity) at various points on the graph which was provided to us by. This graph is similar for all AD's (including Cymbalta) in terms of their exponential 5 HTT occupancy activity/rate at very low dosages. 

I think I finally understand what happened to me here and what led me to believe I could just CT the rest of the Cymbalta.  It's a really steep curve. :wacko:  

I don't know if this may in some way help someone else, at least in terms of understanding what can happen or what has happened regarding these exponential curves.   The general dosing makes no sense at all to me.

Woof

I have been holding now for 3 months and I am considering making another Cymbalta cut. 

When I previously held for 3 months and made my first cut, my symptoms improved and my AM anxiety completely went away. I was considering anywhere from a 5-10% cut, my previous cuts have been 10%.  I am at 14.5mg.

Also, I used Vicodin for 2 weeks and tapered off for 2 weeks after post op for back surgery on in late July.

I had no problem using the Vicodin and it actually improved my sleep.

I thought all was good, but at the end of the 2 week taper I got hit with 7/10 anxiety which was constant, loss of appetite and I slept for only 2 hours and woke with a racing heart. . 

Since I have come to this site I feel this is my first major set back.  No more Vicodin for me.

Prior to this, I have not had any anxiety until the conclusion of the Vicodin taper about 5 days ago.

Does Vicodin produce Serotonin? Could this be some type of mild Seratonin Syndrome?  Or was this more likely from the withdrawal of the Vicodin as I did not have any problems until I withdrew from the Vicodin?

BTW the graph I spoke of in the post above was from "dcrmt" - Thanks dcrmt

Hi Woof -- Vicodin is a narcotic  and has nothing to do with serotonin levels, so you don't have to worry about that. But it can kick off anxiety in a sensitive nervous system. It's also rather unpredictable in how one will react to it. For me, sometimes it works well, sometimes knocks me on my *** and other times does nothing. Give it a few days and things should settle down with no damage to your taper.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof,

I'm with Brass in that it's not a serotonin issue.  I don't think it really matters whether it is Vicodin withdrawal or just a normal mini-wave that can come from just about anything (at least for me).  The key is to see how you do after a few days and if you are back to baseline, proceed as you contemplate.  If you have concerns at all, do the 5% instead of 10%.

Best,

Andy

I just want to thank you guys with all of my heart - I feel so much better.   I will ride it out.

I get so very scared that I am going to make another mistake.

I did some reading on Serotonin Syndrome, my body is extremely cold now (and that is way abnormal for me) which as you know is just the opposite symptom in terms of body heat and Serotonin Syndrome.

I think you both nailed it, as it really did kick off my anxiety/cortisol, My understanding is that cortisol shunts blood to the muscles (fight or flight) and away from the gut and skin.  Which would explain my body temperature and loss of appetite.  I am generally the warmest person in the room, but as of 5 days ago, I am cold and have lost my appetite.  

Please correct me if I am incorrect on Cortisol.

Thanks so very much again,

• Moderator Emeritus

Woof: Body temperature dysregulation can be a withdrawal symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Woof. It's all withdrawal and I can understand that you would want to avoid a mistake. If you follow the tapering advice you should be ok. If you go slow you can't go too far wrong.

Maybe you're experiencing this as well as other symptoms.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/page-15

Try not to " overthink "it. Withdrawal from the drugs seems to affect every system in the body. Calm and quiet is needed now whilst repairing. 

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Many thanks to all of you!!!

You are all so very kind, knowledgeable and compassionate.

This anxiety is pretty intense, but with your insight and encouragement I am sure the sx's will resolve.  I hope it's just the Vicodin that has caused all this anxiety, because prior to the Vicodin things were going OK.  This is really serious so serious - this site merits a national commercial.  

Thanks so much to all of you wonderful human beings,

Woof

Things are still pretty rough in terms of all day anxiety.   I think the Vicodin really messed things up for now.  I won't do that again.  Any ideas on how long this may last?

• Moderator Emeritus

Things are still pretty rough in terms of all day anxiety.   I think the Vicodin really messed things up for now.  I won't do that again.  Any ideas on how long this may last?

Woof,

First off, it MAY be the Vicodin and it MAY NOT.  It can also be the result of a wave that would have come on in any event.  There is really no way to know for sure.  The advice would be the same in either case which is to stay the course, use your self-calming techniques and ride it out.  I agree that it would be best not to have to go on any new meds as you taper, but that may or may not be feasible.  There are some people on the site, such as AliG, who have essentially "sworn off" all meds, but it is hard to make blanket statements about using meds when one doesn't know where life will take us.

This will pass, Woof, but it will do so in its own time.  Trying to rush it or set expectations will only serve to frustrate and further agitate you.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy :)

I was wondering if there is a chance that at some point as I descend down my taper that my symptoms may improve, as they did after my initial cut? 

One of the reasons I am asking is that I am wondering if my sensitization to the Cymbalta from my CT, could be exacerbated by my current dose of 14.5mg which is about 14 times the amount that would have been recommended had I followed the guidelines for reinstatement (5-6 week after CT) on this site?

• Moderator Emeritus

woof: It is possible that your symptoms will ease as your dose decreases; it's also possible that they won't.  I wish I could give you a definitive answer. Only the CNS knows. :)

scallywag's Introduction

Please Help, :(

This past Friday 4 days ago, I cut 3 beads from my 143 down to 140, thinking it might help with the anxiety I was having.

I am now having bad depression, anhedonia, no appetite, nausea and I woke up in a panic at 1 AM.

After my July 4th cut I had noticed some anhedoia and loss of appetite. I had absolutely none of these symptoms prior to my July 4th cut from 158 beads down to 143 beads. 158-15=143

I think my cutting overall has been too rapid and has now caught up with me.

Should I replace the 3 beads and wait for a week to see how I feel?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I think from now on I should make my cuts wait a month and then wait for my symptoms to be stable for another 2-4 weeks, just as Brass, Alto and others have advised me in the past.

I do think the Anxiety I was having was primarily from the Vicodin and has pretty much resolved.

Thank you so much Woof

• Moderator Emeritus

woof:  Please make notes of your symptoms and when you take your medications and the doses.

It's possible that this wave was coming regardless of your dose change; it's also possible that you're responding to the cut.

scallywag's Introduction

This past Friday 4 days ago, I cut 3 beads from my 143 down to 140, thinking it might help with the anxiety I was having.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hard to say, Woof, because this could very well be a small wave from the Vicodin or just normally occurring.  My personal gut says you are better off holding at 140 and riding through this little blip until you stabilize rather than going back up and introducing another change to your CNS. 

Reasonable minds can differ but I don't think that is going to have a meaningful impact on you and you will restabilize fairly quickly.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I was a little confused, as I thought someone had said to get to know your symptoms and someone else said that different cuts may manifest with different symptoms. 

I tend to think that cuts, if performed similarly and as directed would tend to yield similar symptoms. So I would agree with you that this is probably more of the Vicodin. 

Thanks so much,

Woof

Hi Woof-- I'm sorry to hear that your small drop is causing such problems.  Give it some time to settle out and you should be fine.  It isn't a good idea to adjust your dose every time things get uncomfortable.  Jumping around in dose can cause far more problems then weathering a rough patch.

"I tend to think that cuts, if performed similarly and as directed would tend to yield similar symptoms."

I really wish it were so, it would make tapering a lot more easy. Although there are over all trends (that's where WDnormal comes in) each drop is a new adventure and we can only use past experience as a general reference. That's why keeping written records is so important, it's a lot easier to spot trends and patterns from notes than from memory.

Getting to know ones symptoms is more an exercise in acceptance than prediction.  By knowing and understanding how your body reacts to each drop it is easier to acknowledge and accept the symptoms as they appear because you know where they are coming from and that they will fade with time.  That makes it easier to go on about your life in spite of them as they float off. And the really frustrating thing about it is that it takes so much time for anything meaningful to happen.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Brass,

Thank you so much for caring so much about me. :)  

I really wish it were so, it would make tapering a lot more easy. Although there are over all trends (that's where WDnormal comes in) each drop is a new adventure and we can only use past experience as a general reference. That's why keeping written records is so important, it's a lot easier to spot trends and patterns from notes than from memory.

Getting to know ones symptoms is more an exercise in acceptance than prediction.  By knowing and understanding how your body reacts to each drop it is easier to acknowledge and accept the symptoms as they appear because you know where they are coming from and that they will fade with time.  That makes it easier to go on about your life in spite of them as they float off. And the really frustrating thing about it is that it takes so much time for anything meaningful to happen.

I could not agree with you more.

I don't think the small 3 bead cut was the culprit.  

I think that the Vicodin has been the primary culprit of all of these new sx's I have been having, as I have never had them before and have been holding now for almost 2.5 mos; but, like Andy said this may just be a wave, as opposed to the Vicodin

The anxiety aspect has finally gone. :)  

I would totally agree with you and Andy that the Vicodin was the cause of my anxiety.  I feel I am very fortunate in that respect.

I have taken up meditation in the past 3 days and it actually works for me to calm down, although I did not think it would.  I have always been a very high strung person.  

So for me to sit for an hour and focus on my breathing has actually worked, to get myself under controll.  This is a very good thing no matter what.

BTW great job on your taper - you are very, very close. :)

Thanks Again for being there for me,

Yesterday, I spoke with one of the Dr.'s listed on this site from San Francisco. 

He was very knowledgeable about slow tapering and he was very sorry for my circumstance.  He felt that a good option for me at this point would be to get off the Benzo's, start Seroquil for sleep and crossover to Prozac.

From what I've read on this site, it is not the consensus to start another drug such as Seroquil.

Yesterday, I also spoke with Stuart Shipko in LA and he concurred with what I believe is the consensus of this site; to continue on the Benzo's and taper the Cymbalta as planned.  He also thought it was a good idea to reinstate when I did even if the Benzo's where required to controll wd sx's.

I was interested in anyone's thoughts on the Cymbalta to Prozac crossover. 

Thanks Woof