SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nick77: I want to taper Paxil

Nick77

I'm on 60 mg of Paxil a day and 8 mg of xanax a day for four years I want to get off so bad can someone give me advice or help. It's affecting my mood so bad...

Hi Nick-- Welcome to the group.  I started an intro thread for you.  You'll get a lot more information here and not get lost.  I'm so glad you found us before you started to taper.  60mg is a very high dose of Paxil, but it can be tapered off of successfully.  I am just finishing up a taper off of 40mg and it's going quite well.  It's going to be a long, slow and frustrating process, but it does work.  The big key is to not rush things and let recovery happen in it's own time.  There are several good threads for you to read to get information so you can make a good plan.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Preparing to taper

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Paxil had a bad reputation for being hard to get off of, but that doesn't have to be so. You're in a good position, only being on the one drug, to do it right.  Give these a read and then ask us a lot of questions.

Also if you would please add a signature block with your drug information it will really help us to see what is going on.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey Nick-- I have to correct my self.  I just realized that you're on two drugs.  Still not bad but it does complicate things a little.  We'll have to pay attention to how the Xanax is affecting things at the same time.  Once you get your signature filled in we can make some proper suggestions.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking