scallywag

☼ Scallywag: Cymbalta - skipping doses didn't work, time to taper

NaturalBorn

I started on Cymbalta 60 mg 4 years ago, (after 1-2 weeks @ 30 mg); the scrip was from a psychiatrist for major depressive disorder.  My depression lifted significantly. After 1 year (+/-) the psychiatrist and I agreed that my family practitioner would handle the prescription and supervision.

About 15 years ago I was on Effexor XR and had a helluva time getting off it, even with bead counting. After having read the slow pace recommended here, I probably decreased too quickly.  I remember the roller-coaster ride of symptoms (physical, emotional, and cognitive) but forgot about the bead counting. When I started both Effexor & Cymbalta, I had nausea for a couple of days.

would you say that you recovered from that old effexor taper? also wich was the highest dosage of effexor that you ever reached?

scallywag

Yes I recovered from my bad withdrawal symptoms after tapering off Effexor XR in 2004/5. I would say that the intense crying sessions for no reason improved and disappeared over 3-4 weeks. They were my worst withdrawal symptom. I did have some brain zaps but they resolved in the same time.

My dose was always on the low end of the prescribing range. I don't recall ever going above 75 mg.

scallywag

Dose reduction in the morning to ... 97 beads / 10.8 mg, using the flawed 9 beads/mg factor I've been using since April. The more accurate factor would be 9.28 beads/mg and dose 10.5 mg.

Hope that this time is as uneventful as they all have been so far for me.

scallywag

Day 4 at 10.5 mg (more accurate calculation): Nothing noticeable as a response to the dose reduction yet.

tntd

It's so good to see you tapering with so little trouble. I hope it continues this way all the way to the end. 

scallywag

Day 8 at 10.5 mg: Lucky me, no symptoms. I can only say that my CNS must be one for which the 10% taper is extremely well suited.

Math/spreadsheet geekiness:

I calculated how long my remaining 30 mg Cymbalta capsules will last if I continue at this dose.  I'm covered well into 2017.  Of course I'll have some dose reductions along the way, so I expect that my supply will last longer. Hooray for not having to put more money than I already have toward the profits of the drug manufacturer!

herewego

That Is great that your taper is going so well and continuing to - it is encouraging to hear. I sure hope my taper turns out as uneventful as yours.

RachelSusan

I'm feeling wonderful today.  Last night I had a great night's sleep - thanks melatonin and magnesium! 250 mcg melatonin seems to do it for me, ¼ of a 1 mg tablet.

A few years ago, I started taking a powdered magnesium citrate product, Natural Calm.  The package recommends dissolving it in hot or warm water. I'm really enjoying the warmth, the lemony flavour and the slight fizz of it before bed. I take ½ tsp Natural Calm, about 100 mg magnesium.

Thoughts of accelerating my taper are coming fast and furious.  It occurred to me this morning that doing so might possibly rob me of time feeling well.  The question to ask myself isn't "How soon can I cut the dose?" but "How deep and broad a foundation of stability do I want before my next cut?"

/drug and withdrawal history in signature of posts above this oneI

Scallywag, I just found this on your web-site.   The quote  "The question to ask myself isn't "How soon can I cut the dose?" but "How deep and broad a foundation of stability do I want before my next cut?"  really hit home with me.  Thank you so much. I'm glad your taper is going well.

Rachel

scallywag

Thanks Rachel.  It's always nice to know that I've made a positive impact, however small. :)

Stepped down dose over the weekend to 9.5 mg from 10.5 mg. I'm hoping that my CNS responds as it has previously -- not at all. I'm now 50% below the stabilization dose of 20 mg that I took after the skipping-days idea.

brassmonkey

Way to go Scally, you're half way there.  That's a big mile stone past. I hope this drop is a total non event.

((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))

tntd

Congratulations on the halfway mark!! What an exciting accomplishment. I hope it is as uneventful as your previous cuts. :)

scallywag

Thanks brass and tntd!  I do like milestones, even though it's been a smooth ride for me to reach this one. 

Having done several holds of 28+ days and then several of 21 days over the last 6 months, I'll be testing how I do with holding at dose for 14 days after this 10% reduction. If it's uneventful, I'll likely hold for 14 days after the next decrease and then 28 after the subsequent decrease to see what if any symptoms arise. At the end of December/early January I'll have a sense about whether 14-day holds are manageable for me.

scallywag

Wow, I'm feeling down and draggy today.  I had a very unpleasant interaction with someone last night. At the risk of "doxxing" myself, I'm posting the story to stop/slow my rumination about it (I hope) and for a little SA/internet love.

I went on my own to a neighbourhood pub to watch Game 7 of the World Series.  It's a place I've been going to for 10 years, so I know people  and feel comfortable there as a woman out alone. BTW Soda water, soft drinks, and souvlaki for me.  ;)  I got into an easy-going, enjoyable  conversation with a man who was there to watch the game as well; we talked about the game, baseball, trivia, life stuff. At some point, I said or did something he didn't like and suddenly he started a series of very vicious, vulgar insults. I just smiled or shrugged when he said them because they were so clearly his interpretation or reaction to something imagined or misunderstood. His last words before getting up from the table we were sharing were, "You're a loser."; that was the "nicest" insult of the bunch.

I was gobsmacked -- great word, thanks Brits! I don't think I've ever been spoken to that way in my life. People have given me uncomfortable feedback about my behaviour and actions but have never verbally attacked me -- my sexuality, my body, my humanity. I started crying. Of course, I was also trying to get my reaction under control -- Oy, that never works. :rolleyes:  Shortly after, I paid up and left for home with eyes weepy and puffy and reddened nose running snot like lava out of a volcano.

Unfortunately this happened early in the top of the 9th inning, so I missed the dramatic 9th and 10th innings of an exciting game.

I'm doing ok but the verbal barrage was jarring.  I'm lucky that I've come this far in my life meeting and associating with people who have been kind and thoughtful folk. But boy-oh-boy that good fortune left me unprepared for an interaction of this kind.

jmncrr

Scallywag

Sorry for the interaction you had. Sounds like this guy possibly had too much to drink, or was just not a nice person, and probably has those kind of interactions with others. Don't take it personally, for i am sure it wont be his last.

tntd

Scallywag,

I'm so sorry to hear of your encounter. It's so hard when people treat us like that for no reason. Don't let it get you down. I know how we can start wondering what we did wrong and it can start running around in our heads, but it was all him. He is the one with the problem. I think he needs to go to a DBT group and learn some interpersonal skills!!

We think you are wonderful and I know I appreciate all the kind words and support that you have given to me.

{{{Big Hugs}}}

scallywag

jmncrr & tntd: Thanks for reading and posting kind thoughts.  Today is much better. Posting and talking with a couple of friends helped stop the ruminations. There may be waves after the upset, but I will be gentle with myself for the next week.

Tomorrow I'll make the last step in my caffeinated coffee taper from 10% regular + 90% decaf to 100% decaf. It's gone smoothly so far, so I expect no problems over the weekend and early next week.

Lakelander82

You get arseholes in all walks of life Scallywag. Obviously this man has reached some irrational conclusion in his head and as a result, became pugnacious with you. When I have been rattled like this, it's very hard to think about anything else the rest of the day but the following day it's more or less forgotten as daily activities and chores absorb one's attention.

scallywag

Lakelander, thanks for sharing your wise and likely true deduction. It is awful when a past event consumes mental energy. I'm not a fan of chores, despite my home offering a long, but fortunately finite list of opportunities. 

Shep

Oh, Scally. That sounds like a horrible encounter, especially at a favorite pub. I'm glad it went no further than words and you're okay.

Sending healing vibes and a cyber hug your way. I hope this weekend is kind to you.  You sure are kind to us. Lots of self care this weekend.  hugging.gif

scallywag

Thanks Shep.   hugging.gifback at you. I returned on Friday and yesterday, mostly to get over it. All went well.

Day 9 at 9.5 mg: My body appears to be responding to this dose reduction similarly as all previous ones, not at all. I'm curious about whether a 14 day hold will be enough. I'll find out next week after I reduce dose this weekend. 

My appetite has been lower since mid-October, probably earlier. I don't consider it a negative thing because I get hungry 2 or 3 times a day and am eating when I get hungry. Clothes are fitting a bit more loosely so I must have shed some unnecessary pounds and inches. I did put on weight after starting Cymbalta, probably due to a combination of the med, grief, stress, not working and the subsequent boredom.

scallywag

Day 2 at 8.6 mg: So far so good. It'll be interesting to see what happens after a hold of 14 days instead of the previous 21.  Repeating the sentiment from a childhood note I left to my parents when my brothers and I headed out together: "I hope no trouble comes."

tntd

Here's hoping no troubles come!! I hope the 14 day hold works well for you.

scallywag

Thanks tntd! :D

Wishes19

Hi Scally, just catching up on your thread and I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad encounter with a creep at the pub, and on game 7 night no less!!!  

What a bleepity bleep.  You can fill that in I'm sure!

Hope you got to see a replay of the end of the game, it was a nail-biter for sure....but my Cubbies ended up pulling it off!!  (sorry to all the Indians fans out there!)

Anway, hope time has healed that wound and that you don't let it get you down.

Sending good thoughts your way, hope all is well with your taper!

scallywag

Wishes, thanks for stopping by to post.  The events of the night of 2016 World Series Game 7 are now a shocking and hilarious anecdote, available when needed as evidence that people can be irrational jerks.

My taper seems to continue uneventfully. I'm a unicorn!

Happy2Heal

hi Scallywag, just stopping by to see how you are doing and to thank you again for your help and encouragement on my thread

You are indeed a unicorn!! LOL too funny!!

I am so happy to see this, so good to know that getting off this stuff can be fairly uneventful. You are a great example to point out to newbies, to show them what a slow taper can do to mitigate WD.

I am so impressed by your patience in tapering!  Oh my I wish I had been this smart!!

congrats on your caffeine taper too. I went off all caffeine just a few days ago, and it's made a big difference.

I hit a bad patch which has sorely tested my "optimistic outlook"  but meh, I'm only human, right?

jmncrr

Scallywag,

Thanks for the support you have given me.

You made a big drop in dosage form Oct. to Nov.

Did you do it all at once?

Let us know how that is working out for you.

SkyBlue

Day 2 at 8.6 mg: So far so good. It'll be interesting to see what happens after a hold of 14 days instead of the previous 21.  Repeating the sentiment from a childhood note I left to my parents when my brothers and I headed out together: "I hope no trouble comes."

Did you really write that? That's so cute!! :) 

Hope this continue uneventfully; that is awesome. 

scallywag

catnapt:  Thanks for your post. Maybe I should start a unicorns list. There are a few of us around the site.

jmncrr:  Thanks for catching that! I didn't update my signature with a decrease from 10.5 to 9.5 on Oct. 31.

SkyBlue: I did in fact write that. My mom saved the note for me and gave it to me a few years ago.  I have it around. If I find it, I'll scan and post it!

SkyBlue

:) 

Skeeter

Scally,

I was lost in my own world, darned flu, yet a bit excited from the news. Hate bad run-ins, but glad you are past it. See how much support you have here? AMAZING!! You inspire people so much! I am late, but so glad all seems back to normal, and that you felt strong enough to return already not once, but twice! I am proud of you for that! I do not pick myself up so quickly as you, I admire that in you.

Thumbs up from me!!

S-

scallywag
Day 14 at 8.6 mg: No symptoms since the last reduction. I'll reduce by 10% to a new dose of 7.7 mg tomorrow; beads are counted and "capsulized" for 14 days. If no symptoms after two weeks at 7.7, I'll probably reduce again and hold into the new year, just to make sure that my CNS doesn't have a backlog of changes to make.

scallywag

Day 4 @ 7.7 mg: So far so good. ;)  /end of post

tntd

So glad to hear that your new taper speed is going well for you. You are going to be free so soon!! 

Hugs

baroquep

a unicorn indeed :) !!!  

Miko789

Scallywag,

:) glad to hear that the tapering is going well, you manage well.