scallywag

☼ Scallywag: Cymbalta - skipping doses didn't work, time to taper

Lakelander82

Your nervous system seems to be very hardy and resilient to fairly quick drops in dosage Scallywag, I wish mines was the same!

scallywag

Thanks Miko & Lakelander. I do seem to have lucked out.

Day 1 on 7.0 mg: Decreased today to 65 beads or approx. 7.0 mg. I may hold until the new year; on the other hand if I'm doing well, I may scratch the itch to decrease dose after 14 days. 

tntd

You go Scallywag :)  I'm so glad this is going so well for you.

Hugs

Survivor1

Scallywag,

I am very glad for you.  Thanks for the advice you provide on my thread.  I hope the taper continues to go well for you.

scallywag

Day 12 at 7.0 mg: I'm having sensations that one could label as fatigue and hypersomnia. Cause(s)? Who knows. I had a plan to reduce dose again this weekend but will delay that until I'm through whatever this is. Better to be cautious, right?

Athena

Yes! Absolutely. Very wise. It will  make the next cut smoother. We like smooooooth... don't we!

I hope your fatigue lessens and you can enjoy your holidays.

Take care

Athena

nz11

Wow SW  just noticed you have almost got to 3000 posts and considering you only joined in April this year that is one phenomenal posting rate ...currently tracking by my calcs at an average of over 12 per day.

When i think of how long i can sometimes spend just doing one post ( us one finger typists arent as fast as some) that is a lot of overtime you are doing.

Hey its only Day 12 there is another 16 to go thats not cautious thats the rule....remember.

Seasons greetings

nz11

scallywag

For the record, my taper doses in 2016:

Jan - Feb: 60 mg skipping a day, started unintentionally with no problems in late 2015
early March: 30 mg daily for 1-2 weeks;
late March & April: 30 mg skipping days, reached 30 mg every 4 days when symptoms started

Taper dates and doses
Apr. 25:     20.0 mg/day using factor of 9 beads/mg
May  22      18.0 
June 24      16.2 
July 15      14.6  
Aug. 12      13.2  
Sep. 17      11.9 
Oct.  7      10.5 switch to more accurate factor of 9.25 beads/mg
Oct. 31       9.5 
Nov. 12       8.6 
Nov. 26       7.7 
Dec. 11       7.0 to end of year

nz11

You have done amazingly well tapering in 2016.

Wishing you all the best for 2017.

bubble

Please beware of that lag thing...

You've done so much. If I were you I would do a long hold to consolidate things.

scallywag

nz & bubble - I'm definitely considering that this fatigue could be the effect of the cumulative reductions.   A long hold is the plan.

nz11

A long hold is the plan.

I think that is a very wise and safe move.

AliG

Just echoing NZ & Bubble's thoughts on a longer hold but also one can never underestimate the " emotional stress " factor which can come into play at this time of year. 

I'm experiencing it also and it can exacerbate symptoms, particularly fatigue. Take good care of yourself through this time.

Hugs,

Ali

scallywag

I've discovered one factor that's been contributing to my fatigue. Because of work demands my session every morning in front of the SAD light has been 20 minutes instead of 40.  Yesterday I did the full 40 minutes and had more energy.

I've also reverted to the supplements I was taking a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see what effect that has.

FYI still going to continue at this dose for a while.

marie123

I see your taper is going smoothly. Good for you. Does the SAD light really work for you? I was wondering if I should try one. What brand do you use?

Marie

scallywag

Hi Marie,

The SAD light seems to make a difference for me. Today is my second day back at 40 minutes full strength and I'm feeling less tired. 

Here's where I posted about the unit I use earlier this year:  link.

tntd

Thanks for the link to your discussion on the SAD light as I have been considering getting one too. I'm glad that it is helping you feel less tired. 

Miko789

Hi Scally,,

better delay that reduction  to counterbalance the fatigue.

From April to December this year you have managed to taper from 20mg to 7mg in 8 months, that is quite an achievement. 

What is  this SAD light?

take care

scallywag

Day 25 at 7.0 mg (65 beads): Fatigue issues lightened and then fully resolved with daily 40-minute morning sessions in front of my blue-light SAD light. Regardless, I'm planning to hold until early February which will make it 8 weeks at this dose before decreasing again.

Reviewing Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list I notice that I have been more irritable, as in it takes less for me to feel annoyed. Withdrawal or just advancing-age crankiness? Time will tell. ;)

I've done some calculating and figure that I may have to ask my doctor for a prescription so that I have enough Cymbalta to complete the taper to 0. I'll just ask her to prescribe for 14 days and then I'll ask the pharmacy to fill only the number of capsules I need.

tntd

I'm so glad the SAD light is helping you. I got one for Christmas and it seems to be helping me as well. I unfortunately didn't get to do it this morning. 

It should be interesting to see what happends with your irritable symptom. Maybe it will fade the longer you use the SAD light too?

It's so exciting that you are getting so close to the end of your taper. I'm so glad things have gone so well for you. 

Hugs

Shep

Scally, you've inspired me to use my SAD light to help get through winter.

I'm glad it's helping and I'm wishing you much healing during your hold.

scallywag

Day 35 on 7.0 mg: I'm having messed up sleep cycles again, of the delayed sleep onset variety. Argh.  My mood is good. My motivation to initiate and continue constructive, moving-forward actions remains low to moderate.  I've done little to challenge this current governing belief. It might be time to start with something small and non-threatening.

I'll definitely continue holding at this dose but boy-oh-boy thoughts of decreasing are like a recurring, insistent itch.

SkyBlue

Hey Scallywag! I'm glad the light is helping and that your mood has been good. Strength to you to keep holding! 

Remember, holding is a blessing!

scallywag

Day 5 on 6.3 mg - After 8 weeks taking 65 beads = 7.0 mg, I decreased on the 1st to 58 beads = 6.3 mg. Too early to say either that I've reacted to the drop, or that I haven't reacted. I'm waiting with bated breath. (baited breath = worm on tongue  ^_^ )

scallywag

Day 12 on 6.3 mg: Smooth sailing so far. I lucked out with decreasing on the 1st; That definitely makes it easy to remember how long I've been taking it -- I just have to look at my phone or computer!

Happy2Heal

Day 2 on 6.3 mg - After 8 weeks taking 65 beads = 7.0 mg, I decreased yesterday to 58 beads = 6.3 mg. Too early to say either that I've reacted to the drop, or that I haven't reacted. I'm waiting with bated breath. (baited breath = worm on tongue  ^_^ )

omgoodness that's hilarious, you have a wonderful quirky sense of humor!! hahhaha

was just stopping by to see how your doing and read that and had to comment, too funny!!

Happy2Heal

Day 12 on 6.3 mg: Smooth sailing so far. I lucked out with decreasing on the 1st; That definitely makes it easy to remember how long I've been taking it -- I just have to look at my phone or computer!

still a unicorn, eh??

I am so impressed by your willpower and self control. as you can see by my signature, I couldn't be more different, sadly.

I am trying to be more consistent.

I need to try harder I suppose *blush*

I am so impressed with you and so pleased FOR you, how well this is going.

Imagine the pain and suffering most of us could have been spared if we'd been as smart as you are

tntd

So glad to hear that you are still having smooth sailing. 

Shortcake

Scallywag,

Just got around to reading your intro now. You're a flippin pro at this! So happy that things are going do well with you and your taper. I am also going to look into these sad lights... Life in Canada sure is dark in the winters. Hope things continue to go well with you :)

tntd

Just an FYI. I recieved a SAD light for Christmas. I love it but I can't use it every day. I find if I use it more than half an hour every other day my anxiety goes way up. Hope that's not the case for anyone else. 

Happy2Heal

Just an FYI. I recieved a SAD light for Christmas. I love it but I can't use it every day. I find if I use it more than half an hour every other day my anxiety goes way up. Hope that's not the case for anyone else. 

thanks for sharing that  tntd

I got a SAD light and it caused me worse insomnia and possibly is the cause of my increase in anxiety too. JanCarol shared with me some advice on using it, I think it's in my thread if you want to read it

I didn't realize the light is supposed to be above you, and I also used it for too long to start, probably should have started out with maybe 5 mins!! and work up

I hope it works out for me because it sure was expensive. :/

tntd

Thanks Catnap, I'll take a look at your thread :) I hope you can figure out a way to use it too. I think it really helps me even though I can only use it every other day.

Hugs and healing

scallywag

Day 18 on 6.3 mg:  Still no symptoms that I notice.

It was a lovely sunny day yesterday and I walked for a bit longer than usual. WOW! That had a really positive effect on my sleepiness-onset time and on the quality of my sleep. I woke up without an alarm, ready to go at 6:15 a.m. today. Because it's bright, sunny, and ABOVE freezing again today, I'll repeat a longer walk today.

KarenB

Sounds like things are really working out well now Scally - so happy for you.

scallywag

Thanks Karen. 

If I haven't posted it before, I'll post it now: I consider myself very, very lucky because both/either I found this site before my symptoms went wild, and/or my CNS isn't as sensitive as others'.

Beautiful sunny day yesterday with spring-like temperatures, over 10°C. Forecasters are predicting more of the same today and tomorrow. I love the first spring-like days, a window in the wave of winter. The days are a recent reminder that even if the cold and grey and snow return, winter WILL end.

I'll be reducing dose to 52 beads ~ 5.7 mg after 21 days at 58 beads ~ 6.3 mg.

tntd

Oh Scallywag I'm so happy for you too. I wouldn't wish the pain of a difficult withdrawal on anyone. I'm so glad you are one that hasn't had to deal with the worst of it. 

I love what you have to say about the window in the wave of winter. What a good reminder that all of this will end and we will have good days again. 

Thank you.

Hugs and continued success with your taper.