SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Gimpyegghead: Newbie here!

Gimpyegghead

Newbie here!  Very glad to see the topic and posts. I have a congenital neuromuscular disorder and take Baclofen 5mg twice daily for muscle spasms and increases to10 mg during winter or very cold weather.. Celexa 10 mg on and off from 2002-2014; due to chronic pain was changed to Cymbalta 60 mg in 6/2014. Pleuropericarditis and hypothyroidism (.5 mcg synthroid daily) in 2013 and possible UCTD. Discovered I am gluten intolerant in 11/2014 and am off all gluten since. Due to arthritis pain and allergy to NSAIDS also prescribed Tramadol 50 mg 1-3 x a day since 2014. Last Neuro visit he suggested reducing the Cymbalta to 30 mg due to risk of meds interaction causing Seratonin syndrome. Tried an every other day taper for 2 weeks then picked up Rx for 30 mg Cymbalta. Last week returned from my vacation home and realized I forgot my Tramadol. Halved my remaining pills to stretch them out and been off it completely for 3 days. Been feeling lousy since with nausea and Neuromuscular pain. 

I'm trying to find out which is the chicken and which the egg. I often feel lousy due to NM pain, but now have nausea too. I plan to go back to my original dose ASAP. With my Neuro appt next week, I plan to let him know of the issues. I could go off Celexa in the past with absolutely NO symptoms - I would take it through the winter and then quit during the summer, but Cymbalta is quite different. Ideas?

post-7255-0-48285000-1462330186_thumb.jpg

I have a congenital neuromuscular disorder. On Celexa 10 mg on and off from 2002-2014; due to chronic pain was changed to Cymbalta 60 mg in 6/2014. Pleuropericarditis and hypothyroidism (.5 mcg synthroid daily) in 2013 and possible UCTD.On prednisone in doses up to 40 mg due to pleural effusion relapses from 2013-2015. Since 2014 off all gluten. Last Neuro visit he suggested reducing the Cymbalta to 30 mg due to risk of meds interaction causing Serotonin syndrome. Tried an every other day taper for 2 weeks then picked up Rx for 30 mg Cymbalta. Yes I'm depressed too!

Cymbalta 60 mg (for pain) – daily; Tramadol 50 mg as needed for pain; Baclofen 5 mg in a.m., 5 mg at HS;Ropinirole .5 mg in afternoon and at HS 

Flovent 110mcg 2 puffs twice a day; Astepro .15% 1 spray each nostril twice daily;Nasacort spray 1 sprays each nostril bid

Clarinex 5 mg 1 tab daily;Singulair 10 mg in afternoon/evening;Synthroid 50 mcg in a.m.; Nexium 40 mg in am

B complex + CoQ10; 1000mg Fish oil; Boswellia caplet; Chondriotin Sulfate; Undenatured Type II Collagen 40 mg;1500mg Calcium/Magnesium -bone health

****ALLERGY TO NSAIDS – CAUSES ASTHMA ATTACKS;ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN;SENSITIVE TO OPIATES (CAUSE HALLUCINATIONS);ALLERGIC TO NEURONTIN (CAUSES EXTREME EDEMA);GLUTEN SENSITIVE - CAUSES JOINT PAINS AND SWELLING - 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Gimpyegghead,

I'm glad you've found this site - I think there will be a lot of information here you can put to good use.

The nausea can be explained easily - it's a withdrawal symptom caused by skipping doses and tapering quickly.  Changes to antidepressants affect the Central Nervous System cumulatively - so although in the past you could stop with no trouble, it looks like it's starting to catch up with you now.  The more changes, the more sensitised your CNS is likely to be.

Taking your dose regularly every day will help you to stabilise and any w/d symptoms to ease.  Then you would be able to taper in a more gentle manner - see Tips for Tapering Cymbalta.  We recommend a gentle taper, reducing by no more than 10% of your current dose each month.  This allows your brain time to adjust as you go, and lessens any withdrawal.

Many people find Fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal.   

Have a read of those and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This can be your journal to record your tapering and healing progress, and to ask questions.  Thanks for filling out a signature - I'm wondering if you could adjust it a little so we can more easily see what doses you are on now (of all drugs).  Drugs, dates and doses are the most useful things in a signature.

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Gimpyegghead. Welcome to the forum from me, too. You've come to a great place for information and support. I really like your 7 Cardinal Rules in Life image, especially number 7 :)

I had a lot of problems with nausea last year after I came off Seroquel and I found peppermint and ginger teas to be helpful.

As Karen said, nausea can be a withdrawal symptom, so hopefully once you get set up on a slow and careful taper, this will resolve. Best of luck with your taper.

Hi Gimpy.  Welcome .  Is your aim to withdraw from your drugs ?  It might be that you are more sensitized now , whereas in the past you could go off Celexa , with no symptoms.

If you are wanting to taper we can help you . Every drug comes with it's own inherent characteristics and therefore side effects. Cymbalta is different, but it might just be that you are also becoming more sensitive  or just react differently to this drug.

If you do return to your original dose , most likely the withdrawal symptoms will resolve after a period of time. 

Have a read of the links and come back with any questions that you may have, and let us know how we can help you .

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi, Thanks for the warm welcome!

At this point I'd like to SAFELY reduce the Cymbalta since it dies help with the pain I experience. Until I see my Neuro (which is next month instead of next week, as I had originally posted) I'm going back to my original 60 mg dose. I plan to report my sx to him - I trust him as he is the one who discovered my congenital myopathy - none of the other docs I see will mess with my meds for that since it is such a rare condition (only 1600 cases in the USA). I'll try a taper after I see him - one thing that bothers me about the Cymbalta is the brain fogginess and the ADD like symptoms I experience while on it. Being allergic to aspirin and NSAIDS complicated things since I can't take a lot of pain meds.

Have any of you taken the ALCAT blood tests? That is how I discovered my gluten intolerance along with sensitivities to ginger, honey, celery (who the hell is allergic to celery??) and nightshade foods. It is expensive but if you have food issues or allergies, it will be the best $1000 you ever spent - it isn't covered by insurance but it also tests for medication and environmental sensitivities.

I have a congenital neuromuscular disorder. On Celexa 10 mg on and off from 2002-2014; due to chronic pain was changed to Cymbalta 60 mg in 6/2014. Pleuropericarditis and hypothyroidism (.5 mcg synthroid daily) in 2013 and possible UCTD.On prednisone in doses up to 40 mg due to pleural effusion relapses from 2013-2015. Since 2014 off all gluten. Last Neuro visit he suggested reducing the Cymbalta to 30 mg due to risk of meds interaction causing Serotonin syndrome. Tried an every other day taper for 2 weeks then picked up Rx for 30 mg Cymbalta. Yes I'm depressed too!

Cymbalta 60 mg (for pain) – daily; Tramadol 50 mg as needed for pain; Baclofen 5 mg in a.m., 5 mg at HS;Ropinirole .5 mg in afternoon and at HS 

Flovent 110mcg 2 puffs twice a day; Astepro .15% 1 spray each nostril twice daily;Nasacort spray 1 sprays each nostril bid

Clarinex 5 mg 1 tab daily;Singulair 10 mg in afternoon/evening;Synthroid 50 mcg in a.m.; Nexium 40 mg in am

B complex + CoQ10; 1000mg Fish oil; Boswellia caplet; Chondriotin Sulfate; Undenatured Type II Collagen 40 mg;1500mg Calcium/Magnesium -bone health

****ALLERGY TO NSAIDS – CAUSES ASTHMA ATTACKS;ALLERGIC TO PENICILLIN;SENSITIVE TO OPIATES (CAUSE HALLUCINATIONS);ALLERGIC TO NEURONTIN (CAUSES EXTREME EDEMA);GLUTEN SENSITIVE - CAUSES JOINT PAINS AND SWELLING - 

The good news is that my pain levels have dropped considerably since I resumed the Tramadol yesterday afternoon. I plan to see my Neuro in 4 weeks and will try another Cymbalta taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gimpyegghead, welcome from me too.    I was taking effexor for many years, also tramadol. I became very sick then discovered that they can interact with each other. I decided to taper the effexor first, (it is a similar class of drug to cymbalta) I took 3 years and my pain levels actually decreased as the dose lowered. I also take tramadol and I am tapering that now, very, very slowly. Tramadol is made up of a synthetic opiate AND snri  anti depressant which is why you felt withdrawal.  I can't take aspirin or NSAID either, or paracetamol (tylenol).  Thankfully my pain levels have improved since quitting effexor and having the surgery. 

If you taper slowly you can get off cymbalta with minimum withdrawal symptoms, and reduce your drug load. Your neurologist had you taper far too fast, and you suffered withdrawal symptoms. He is right that there is a risk of serotonin syndrome and shouldn't be prescribed together,  I discovered the same when I researched my drugs, they should never have been prescribed together and made me ill with side effects. I felt better as the dose lowered but went too fast at first, went into withdrawal then found this forum and did it properly. I can't stress enough the importance of slow and careful tapering so you can stay as well as you can be while tapering and not get the awful withdrawal symptoms! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 4 weeks later...

I just started my taper on Wednesday. Saw that 60 mg Cymbalta has 12 little pills in it so am taking away 1 tiny pill per month until I get to 30 mg. We will see how that goes! I had a bad fall last week and sprained a wrist and an elbow on my right arm - lots of pain but not unbearable unless I don't put on my brace...I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello GImpyhead, good to hear from you again. 

60mg - 5mg = 55mg

55mg - 5mg = 50mg

50mg - 5mg = 45mg

45mg - 5mg = 40mg - this is where taking one pill out each month will put you over the 10% rule.  Perhaps you can reassess at that time, keeping a close eye on how you are responding to the reductions.  It's good if you can avoid having to up-dose.

Hope your wrist and elbow recover nicely. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.