Big Pharma knowingly created prescription drug epidemic and raked in billions: report

Rockingchaircat

An  investigation by the Los Angeles Times has revealed that the pharmaceutical company that sells the opiate painkiller OxyContin knew the drug was highly addictive — but pushed it anyway.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/big-pharma-knowingly-created-prescription-drug-epidemic-and-raked-in-billions-report/

Purdue Pharma began producing the pills two decades ago, claiming that it relieved severe, chronic pain for 12 continuous hours — more twice the time of generic drugs. Representatives of the drug’s maker promised doctors that patients would only have to take two pills a day for 24-hour pain relief.

But it wasn’t true, and Purdue knew it, the Times reveals.

The results were excruciating and devastating. OxyContin wears off hours early in many patients, and along with their underlying pain returning, they also suffer the additional complication of drug withdrawal symptoms.

------------

Deja Vu.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

Thanks for posting ....i just learned what this drug OxyContin is....the 'chemical cousin' of heroin....wow!

An investigation by the Los Angeles Times has revealed that the pharmaceutical company that sells the opiate painkiller OxyContin knew the drug was highly addictive — but pushed it anyway.

Purdue Pharma began the pills two decades ago, claiming that it relieved severe, chronic pain for 12 continuous hours — more twice the time of generic drugs. Representatives of the drug’s maker promised doctors that patients would only have to take two pills a day for 24-hour pain relief.

But it wasn’t true, and Purdue knew it, the Times reveals.

The results were excruciating and devastating. OxyContin wears off hours early in many patients, and along with their underlying pain returning, they also suffer the additional complication of drug withdrawal symptoms.

OxyContin is described by the Times as a “chemical cousin” of heroin, and patients who depend on it also experience an intense craving for the drug when it wears off early.

The Times obtained thousands of pages of confidential Purdue documents and learned company executives have known about the problem for decades. [same old same old!!]

“Even before OxyContin went on the market, clinical trials showed many patients weren’t getting 12 hours of relief. Since the drug’s debut in 1996, the company has been confronted with additional evidence, including complaints from doctors, reports from its own sales reps and independent research,” the Times reports.

And even more damning, “The company has held fast to the claim of 12-hour relief, in part to protect its revenue. OxyContin’s market dominance and its high price — up to hundreds of dollars per bottle — hinge on its 12-hour duration. Without that, it offers little advantage over less expensive painkillers.”

The company achieved market dominance and a high asking price per bottle, but it was all hinged on the claim that the drug relieved pain for 12 hours. It became the country’s best-selling pain killer, reaping a massive $31 billion in revenue.

But because the drug was failing to last the promised 12 hours in many patients, doctors began prescribing it at shorter intervals — resulting in something of a company panic. Purdue reps were mobilized and one manager urged her team to put the kibash on the trend,  saying the shorter prescription time interval “needs to be nipped in the bud. NOW!!” according to documents reviewed by the paper.

Company reps urged doctors to prescribe higher doses of OxyContin as opposed to shorter intervals — but that creates a higher risk of overdose and death, the Times reports.

Data reviewed by the paper reveals that more than half long-term patients are on dangerously-high doses.

The results of this have been dire on a broad scale. As the Times points out, OxyContin is widely viewed as being responsible for setting off the nation’s prescription opioid epidemic, which has claimed roughly 190,000 lives since 1999.

The painstaking Times report involves internal Purdue documents spanning three decades, from court cases and government investigations. Journalists also interviewed experts on pain treatment, prescription medication addiction and pharmacology.

One patient, who spoke on the record, began taking OxyContin to deal with chronic back pain from being thrown from a horse at age 14. She experienced the very symptoms the report described.

For the first two or three hours, she experienced some relief — but when the drug wore off, it was a nightmare.

“I was watching the clock. ‘What time is it? Oh, God, I have to medicate.’ My whole nervous system is on red alert,” she told the paper. “You want a description of hell? I can give it to you.”

......................//....................................

Does anything ever get done about these revelations....no never....talk about the 'bystander effect'

And KB describes getting off ads as worse than oxycontin.....

“[sSRI] withdrawal I would argue is potentially the worst of all chemical withdrawals, I cannot think of a chemical on earth that is more challenging to come off of, I have patients in my practice that I taper off by one thousandth of a milligram a month. I have never heard of someone struggling to come off of heroin or oxycontin at this rate. I have never heard of anything comparable to this. It is so disabling that patients develop neurologic symptoms, they develop cataclysmic mood syndromes, they develop impulsivity and violence totally out of character for them. It’s pretty terrifying."(Brogan 2016).

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

oh my goodness look at this quote from the longer article.....

Rates of addiction and overdose have soared alongside the rise in prescriptions. News coverage of these problems in Appalachia and New England in the late 1990s made OxyContin notorious. Purdue dispatched representatives to Virginia, Maine and elsewhere to defend its drug. They blamed misuse of OxyContin and insisted their pill was a godsend for pain sufferers when taken as directed.

“A lot of these people say, ‘Well, I was taking the medicine like my doctor told me to,’ and then they start taking them more and more and more,”

Purdue senior medical director, Dr. J. David Haddox, told a reporter in 2001. “I don’t see where that’s my problem.” [wt heck!..]

The U.S. Justice Dept. launched a criminal investigation, and in 2007 the company and three top executives pleaded guilty to fraud for downplaying OxyContin’s risk of addiction. Purdue and the executives were ordered to pay $635 million. The case centered on elements of Purdue’s marketing campaign that suggested to doctors that OxyContin was less addictive than other painkillers.

[i guess its 635 m from petty cash then business as usual right].

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi NZ, where did you find this text', I want to share the whole thing with my friends and family for a better understanding.

And KB describes getting off ads as worse than oxycontin.....

“[sSRI] withdrawal I would argue is potentially the worst of all chemical withdrawals, I cannot think of a chemical on earth that is more challenging to come off of, I have patients in my practice that I taper off by one thousandth of a milligram a month. I have never heard of someone struggling to come off of heroin or oxycontin at this rate. I have never heard of anything comparable to this. It is so disabling that patients develop neurologic symptoms, they develop cataclysmic mood syndromes, they develop impulsivity and violence totally out of character for them. It’s pretty terrifying."(Brogan 2016).

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Are you referring to the Brogan quote i have taken it from the audio radio interview ...i think i put it in my intro..or try the thread about her book..

i'll see if i can find it for you if you cant track it down.

just did a google and got it immediatley...from memory i got it from here.

http://seancroxton.com/008-kelly-brogan/

Later just listened to it again ..i can tell you it is said at 39.25 mins....oops i got a couple of words wrong she said its ;pretty horrifying' not terrifying....oh well close enough...i will change my notes.

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks a lot, NZ!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Yeah, stuff like oxycodone, makes ya wonder. How many backroom deals are there with other organizations, then prisons profit off of organized crime repercussions and lock-ups.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

It's just incredibly annoying to know that the negative effects of big pharma are so covert and insidious when put into comparison with illegal drugs.

Heroin, we KNOW to be a bad drug (good at what it's supposed to do but BAAAAAD). We know all about it, we are told all about it.

Fluoroquinolones?? SSRIs??? Statins???

They're all 'good' drugs. ;)

oh my goodness look at this quote from the longer article.....

Rates of addiction and overdose have soared alongside the rise in prescriptions. News coverage of these problems in Appalachia and New England in the late 1990s made OxyContin notorious. Purdue dispatched representatives to Virginia, Maine and elsewhere to defend its drug. They blamed misuse of OxyContin and insisted their pill was a godsend for pain sufferers when taken as directed.

“A lot of these people say, ‘Well, I was taking the medicine like my doctor told me to,’ and then they start taking them more and more and more,”

Purdue senior medical director, Dr. J. David Haddox, told a reporter in 2001. “I don’t see where that’s my problem.” [wt heck!..]

The U.S. Justice Dept. launched a criminal investigation, and in 2007 the company and three top executives pleaded guilty to fraud for downplaying OxyContin’s risk of addiction. Purdue and the executives were ordered to pay $635 million. The case centered on elements of Purdue’s marketing campaign that suggested to doctors that OxyContin was less addictive than other painkillers.

[i guess its 635 m from petty cash then business as usual right].

I have watched this play out.  My sister who died recently ya it still seems recent to me.  She was addicted had the wd and the pain return doctors she had could not explain all her symptoms I see it all now.  All too late. I would like to know when they knew the drug wore off before the 12 hour window... not like it matters now but I assume that will be the next court case or maybe it has already paid for that one too. 

This is a repeat of what happens business as usual... people die the pull the drug pay some money ... dirty dealings are found out they pay some money.... the money then pay  I have read is budgeted for as they know ahead of time...lawyers are on staff and have had plenty of experience to hone their skills ...lobiest too are on staff to steer the law makers in directions favourable to pharma... employees at the FDA who decide what drug gets passed are the same people who work for pharma it is a revolving door... pass a drug get a cushy pharma job... work for pharma get a top job at the FDA.  

Corruption is ingrained at this point and once again I will talk about effexor activist... how hopeful they were when Obama got in... as they worked his campaign in hope he would clean this up... naive maybe.  The night he won there was a message one time on tv stating the FDA was being overhauled or closed down ..something to that effect... sorry my memory sucks... I was watching closely as an old member of EA I was getting a heads up.  One announcement and that was the end of it.  I for one think this is the top of the iceberg but what do I know it is my gut feeling. It comes from reading countless books and articles for almost a decade. It was devastating to me when I first came to the realization that we could not trust those delivering our health care... I was not thinking to well then either and I said they will get us all in the end.. and they will...sooner or later we all die in a hosp ... most of us. This is a very personal thing that has been many times removed from personal choice because we don't know.. we don't know so much as medicine becomes more complex and the systems surrounding it including pharma are far removed from our common understanding. 

I read a pharma post once to a wd person that said nobody made you take the pill.... like the quote above “I don’t see where that’s my problem.”  Both bring home this one fact pharma is a business they exist to make money that is it... not to care for human life not to train doctors or necessarily tell the truth but they pass themselves off as something else they work both sides of the game... we know this know and we need to be very careful about what drugs go into our bodies... that is about the best we can do in all this. mho 

Trying to convince anyone else who has not been burned by this process is such a huge struggle especially when the drugs are needed and the proof of the drugs on patent is far from accessible ... loved ones will take the drug trust the doctors and may very well self destruct in front of our eyes.  I am doing this now it is a bit like walking on glass while you hold your breath watching carefully and juggling. 

Most people know nothing about any of this an article in the paper they read once a years is not very interesting given how hectic and media drenched lives are today... they don't get it. 

One more thing 

The U.S. Justice Dept. launched a criminal investigation, and in 2007 the company and three top executives pleaded guilty to fraud for downplaying OxyContin’s risk of addiction. Purdue and the executives were ordered to pay $635 million

Where does this money go... to the people injured?  Don't hold your breath waiting for a national drug withdrawal program for people addicted to oxy... that is my guess.  Tho I don't know what becomes of the money I think somebody should ask. 

​The fines tho they are big numbers for us are a pittance compared to what these companies make... one pharma exc makes 40 million a year... every year... I am sure the company paid this fine not the excs They are making billions ... hard concept for me as I am not good with numbers anymore but even I know millions to billions is not a big deal... paying 50 cents if I have ten thousand dollars is not much is it. 

A bit about what they make... if anyone cares. 

It’s not every day a drug manufacturer makes the Forbes list of “America’s Richest Families” on the back of the legal narcotics market. But when you’re the one holding the patent on OxyContin — a drug Americans seemingly can’t get enough of — well, you might just find yourself the sixteenth most wealthy family on a planet of 7.1 billion people.

Meet the Sackler family.

Forbes.com

Family owned and operated, Purdue Pharma struck narcotic gold. Not many companies can boast a product whose sales increased 2000 percent in five years, but the Sacklers can do just that. In 1995, the year after receiving FDA approval, OxyContin accounted for $45 million in sales. By 2000, sales increased to $1.4 billion.

Once again, that’s billion with a “B.”

In 2010, thanks to the efforts of three brothers from Brooklyn, OxyContin took control of 30 percent of the United States painkiller market, accounting for $3.1 billion in sales.

the rest of the article is here

https://addictionunscripted.com/kingpinsoxycontin-heroin-and-the-sackler-sinaloa-connection/

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

It's just incredibly annoying to know that the negative effects of big pharma are so covert and insidious when put into comparison with illegal drugs.

Heroin, we KNOW to be a bad drug (good at what it's supposed to do but BAAAAAD). We know all about it, we are told all about it.

Fluoroquinolones?? SSRIs??? Statins???

They're all 'good' drugs. ;)

I said that once when I had a SAR to prozac if I had taken acid or LSD or any psychedelic drug I would have known prozac caused by bad trip... but I was a virgin and did not even know it was possible for a drug a legal drug to cause such issues for a human... I thought I had gone mad. Nobody told me any different.

Others who had experience with people on drugs my bf mother knew about such things from living in the sixties with some drug people... her first question when she seen me post prozac use was what drug have you taken. I told her just an new antiinflammatory for pain... lol she knew better but could not prove it ... I feel so stupid or tricked now.  Live and learn.  

For me this does not open the door to say illegal drugs are fine to use we know as much about them as we do about pharma drugs.... and there is not control over the making of it... mind you I have a friend of a friend who works in a drug production plant who said the place was closed down cause of a problem .. for a long time it was closed and I bet it happens more then we know.  Drugs being made were made wrong... bet nobody ever hears of that either. 

It would be good to know we could have some confidence in all drugs but we can't some are ok some are not... when we need them they have us all by the short hair... cause we let them. They are not going to give up or reform... and we can't make them as the will is not there.  

What we can do is watch what we put in our mouths and that is all... vote with your wallet. If this movement gets big enough to reach pharma where they live ... the wallet that is the only this they will ever respond to... imho

Yes I realize this will probably never happen... I am not that much of a dreamer. Other option increase the fines to something that hurts them more to cheat than to play right. If you read Glenmullens books this is all part of it... I am sure he has some ideas to make this better.... but he says last stage marketing takes up to 30 years to find out about a drug.. at least.. look for old drugs if you need one if you can they may be safer...Some people are needed to do this last study and yes it has been all of us... we are the market research I will bet dollars to donuts there are no pharma family members in these post market drug trials.

peace all

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Oh, I'm not saying that we should open the doors to illegal drugs, just that there is a wealth of education about them that far supersedes our education about many Big Pharma meds.

With Big Pharma meds...all the bad stuff is kept in the closet because sales are more important than lives.

• 5 years later...

This 2021 series on Oxicontin and Purdue is very informative on how big pharma works

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/dopesick-trailer-hulu-michael-keaton-series-1234656379/amp/

2003/7 (at age 52)        Prozac 20mg. For chronic fatigue syndrome.    2007/10    20mg citalopram, 2010/11 Cold Turkey citalopram Severe withdrawal,  2011  back on citalopram 10mg, 2014  Discontinued Citalopram over a month period

2014/15                       Suffered severe withdrawal and was prescribed Prozac 20mg, 2017/18 After research I decided that I have never had such severe mental illness, only withdrawal

2017/20                       Various failed attempts to ‘taper’ (missing doses), 2020 Sept 16th started a 5% taper using mini scales, 2020 Nov Ended taper Back on 20mg Prozac

2021 Nov 24               Reduced to 19mg Prozac  from starting dose of 20mg (5% reduction) 2022 Jan 3rd              Reduced to 18mg Prozac (5.26% reduction)

2022 Feb 27th            Reduced to 17.2mg Prozac (4.44% reduction)

2022 Mar 12th            Reduced to 16.8mg Easier to read on Syringe 

2022 Jun 15               16mg  4.76% reduction

2023 Mar 29th          Reduced to 15.5mg

Hand on heart, "Personally I have never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal from Prozac" Dr P

• Moderator Emeritus

@vincent

And these from Gwen Olsen, who was a pharmaceutical representative for 15 years.

I am not sure if it was in one of these videos or in her book, but Gwen told about a meeting that was held to tell the pharma reps about a new drug.  This drug had a known side effect and Gwen was very concerned about it and spoke up with her concern.  The response was something like we will find a drug to treat that.

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat

Thanks for the links. Powerful.

Let's hope that Dopesick reaches more people and wakes them up to what is going on.

Here is an imdb link,  apparently based on a book by Beth Macy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9174558/

2003/7 (at age 52)        Prozac 20mg. For chronic fatigue syndrome.    2007/10    20mg citalopram, 2010/11 Cold Turkey citalopram Severe withdrawal,  2011  back on citalopram 10mg, 2014  Discontinued Citalopram over a month period

2014/15                       Suffered severe withdrawal and was prescribed Prozac 20mg, 2017/18 After research I decided that I have never had such severe mental illness, only withdrawal

2017/20                       Various failed attempts to ‘taper’ (missing doses), 2020 Sept 16th started a 5% taper using mini scales, 2020 Nov Ended taper Back on 20mg Prozac

2021 Nov 24               Reduced to 19mg Prozac  from starting dose of 20mg (5% reduction) 2022 Jan 3rd              Reduced to 18mg Prozac (5.26% reduction)

Hand on heart, "Personally I have never heard of anyone suffering withdrawal from Prozac" Dr P

Is there a dedicated thread on the big pharma fraud on SSRIs and possible litigation?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy