vilus: On Zyprexa 3 months

Well I'm off Zyprexa. I was on for two or 3 months. Tapers a little less every week down to 2.5mg. Anyway I'm still sleeping every night 5-6 hours. It's a lot harder to fall asleep or take a nap. Sometimes I don't fall asleep to 4 am but I still usually sleep. Psychologists suck. I hope I get a sleepy sleepy day soon.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Olanzapine (Tapered 5 times and marathon trained)

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vilus

• nz11

• Altostrata

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome vilus,

I moved your introductory post to a Journal thread of its own. This way more people will notice it, and you can maintain your own journal. You can use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

Please would you tell us a little more. It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Are you still taking any Zyprexa now or did you jump from 2.5mg? How did you taper down? Are you currently on any other medications?

You may find some useful tips for help with sleep here: Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Are you having any other symptoms besides the sleep issue?

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions. I'm glad you joined.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vilus, welcome from me too, you've come to the right place to share your story and get support, we are the best group on the net for withdrawal and tapering anti depressants :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

You are going to have no appetite! So shove that food down your ******* throat! Eat eat eat!!!

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

Rage against the machine!!!

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

If you have lost appetite. Remember to shove food down your throat. Eat eat eat even if your not hungry.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

I think I'm going to recover. I believe in god. There is a higher power. I'm going to turn my life around.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a good attitude to have, having confidence in our ability to heal helps the process tremendously.

Are you still taking 2.5mg of Zyprexa?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 weeks later...

I keep tapering and tapering.

I'm on 1.2mg zyprexa.

Its making me stressed out and cause problems and I just want to get drunk.

Then there is the anorexia to loose weight.

This sucks.

I think I should be more stabilized at this point. I try to taper less every 14 days. Often I skip doses early.

There is a placebo effect to it. I feel relaxed just because I take one.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vilus, 

I moved your post from Tapering to your Intro thread because it is part of your story and we want to keep your narrative together. 

You never filled out your signature block, so I'd like for you to do that:  Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature. Please include approximate dates of your taper cuts and dosages.

On May 6 you said you were off Zyprexa, but now you are on 1.2 mg.  You did not fill us in on what your story was, so we were unable to advise you.  Could you please let us know what you have done between when you joined and now?  It would appear you reinstated 1.2 mg.  

1) How long have you been back on that dose?  

2) Did you feel any better after you reinstated?  

3) What is your symptom pattern?

4) How is your sleep now?

5) Are you on any other meds?  Please include them in your signature block.

It is difficult for us to help you without knowing this information.  I believe you have posted elsewhere in the forum but it is important to ask questions about your particular situation in your own thread so that we can have context when responding to you.  Also, putting your history with dates of going off, back on, the amounts you tapered, etc. is very important.  These links should be helpful if you haven't seen them before.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

In your last post you said you had been tapering and tapering and that it makes you feel stressed out and want to get drunk.  Can you elaborate on this?  Have you tapered since you reinstated?  What are your exact symptoms?

Once you answer my questions we should be able to help you better.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time :-(

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Haha does anyone actually take these sedatives in the morning?

Edited by scallywag
moved post from Finding Meaning

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Vilus, I've moved your question about sedatives from the Finding Meaning forum to your introduction thread. What are the symptoms that make you ask about sedatives? When did they start?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 year later...

I think I'm going to try to quit olanzapine cold turkey at 5mg. I don't care if I die.

im not taking it anymore.

ive been trying to taper at 2.5mg to 5mg. I'm not making any progress.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are feeling suicidal, please get local support.  As an online peer support forum we are unable to assist with this type of emergency.

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

hotlines/washington-suicide-hotlines

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vilus, you are cutting your dose in half and that is throwing you into withdrawal. You need to taper it by smaller amounts. It is possible to make a liquid yourself for easier tapering.  See the topic for tapering olanzapine. Quitting C/T can be terrible and result in psychosis which would lead to a hospital and ,more drugs. You can get off it safely but need to taper smaller amounts, please read the topic carefully, you CAN do this and sifde effects are dose related so should ease as the dose lowers. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm making the jump down to 2.5mg olanzapine. Then I'm going to try to quit cold turkey at that point. Once I've stabilized on 2.5 for 2-4 weeks.

it won't be fun. But I think I can do it. As long as I don't drink one drop of alcohol. For probably 60-90 days.

its going to be miserable 6 hours of sleep. I will feel so dreadful I will want a drink. But one drink is all it takes to mess your taper up.

i will feel so miserable on 6 hours of sleep. I'm not sure I'll make it.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

I'm going to be awake a lot. And I'm going to feel like crap. For 90 days.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

There is no way I can do this without chemical dependency treatment. 90 days is a long time to recover.

maybe it will only take 2 months.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

16 hours ago, vilus said:

Well I'm making the jump down to 2.5mg olanzapine. Then I'm going to try to quit cold turkey at that point. Once I've stabilized on 2.5 for 2-4 weeks.

it won't be fun. But I think I can do it. As long as I don't drink one drop of alcohol. For probably 60-90 days.

its going to be miserable 6 hours of sleep. I will feel so dreadful I will want a drink. But one drink is all it takes to mess your taper up.

i will feel so miserable on 6 hours of sleep. I'm not sure I'll make it.

Hi vilus good luck with your taper ,I just want to say about alcohol ,I'm sober 2.7 months and I'm so grateful I gave it up before the withdrawl hit ,I'm in protracted withdrawl ,life on hold till its over ,I wouldn't of had the strength to get through withdrawl at all I reckon  .replace the alcohol with walking or some exercise ,alcohol and these drugs are a big mistake ive been there and I'm blessed I came out the other end even though withdrawl is horrible .

Take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

It is good. Is the music also yours or only the text? I like it.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

2 hours ago, powerback said:

Hi vilus good luck with your taper ,I just want to say about alcohol ,I'm sober 2.7 months and I'm so grateful I gave it up before the withdrawl hit ,I'm in protracted withdrawl ,life on hold till its over ,I wouldn't of had the strength to get through withdrawl at all I reckon  .replace the alcohol with walking or some exercise ,alcohol and these drugs are a big mistake ive been there and I'm blessed I came out the other end even though withdrawl is horrible .

Take care

PB

Correction 2.7 years:)

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

It's been 10 days on 5mg now. 4 more days then I'm doing 2.5 for 2 weeks at least. 

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• 4 weeks later...

Vilus how are you?

How is olanzapine taper going on?

Did you jump off?

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

Vilus: it would be better to cut the 2.5 into quarters. Then taper down .625 every few weeks rather than jumping off at 2.5 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 2 weeks later...

Are we sure its possible to recover from a long term olanzapine overdose?

maybe the receptor no longer picks up the small quantity of natural olanzapine.

maybe your body is no longer producing natural olanzapine.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

has anyone tried ZzzQuil? it claims to be non habit forming!

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

I took antipsychotic for 8 years.Most recently I am on 10mg Olanzapine.I want to go off it,it causes sexual dysfunction and my psychiatrist who prescribed me the meds said there is no choice,so I will give him a choice which is I stop being a lab rat and stop visiting psychiatrist

Jan 2009-Mar 2016---Abilify(20,15,10,5mg),Risperidal(3mg,2mg,1mg),Mirtazapine(30mg,15mg)

2 years before:

Mar 2016-Feb 2017---Abilify(5mg,2.5mg)

July 2017-Oct 2017---Olanzapine 15mg

Oct 2017-Nov 2017---Olanzapine 10mg

Nov 2017-Feb 2018---Olanzapine 5mg

Feb 2018-NOW---Olanzapine 2.5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Has my body stopped producing natural olanzapine?

how many people are on this stuff? 

if my numbers are right, 2 millions bottles sold in the US this year.

that makes about 1% of the US population on 10mg of olanzapine alone.

or 2% on 5mg.. this doesn't accout for thrown out bottles

or for the hundreds of other psychatric drugs.

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

• 2 months later...

I've been taking olanzapine once every 3 days.

even this small dose is causing obesity

does anyone know of an alternative?

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

OK Lets just dump 2 bottles. and save about 10 pills incase of emergencies

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

i abuse any pill i have access to.

it sure feels good to get rid of those old expired bottles!

Seroquel 3 months

now back on Olanzapine.

Would you be so kind to take the time to do a drug signature.

why wait till next year.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017