SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rose91: tapering Zoloft - unstable after 4 weeks when to taper?

Rose91

I'm really struggling with severe anxiety, derealization and depression. I have been having windows and waves (both follow a pattern of 2-7 days each). Currently on 75mg Zoloft and thought I was actually improving and felt ready to reduce again after 4 weeks. Then I get a day like this and it knocks me for six. 

I have this horrible feeling that this is the real me but I can't remember how bad I was since I've been on SSRI'S since I was 16. I'm 25 now. Please advise, I'm getting desparate feeling like I may need to be on these meds for the rest of my life.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

I have been on meds for 16 years. Started taking prozac at 16 for social anxiety, panic attacks, derealization, low mood, anxiety, agoraphobia. Meds stopped working after 7 years and symptoms returned. Switched to Sertraline (Zoloft) 100mg in December 2014. Started experiencing feelings of dread/terror/despair around October 2015. Started tapering from 100mg to 85mg, held this dose for 4 weeks, no withdrawals. Tapered dose to 75mg, for 3 weeks, no withdrawals. Tapered again to 50mg, severe withdrawals almost immediately (severe anxiety, depression and derealization). Re-instated next day to 75mg. Have been on 75mg for 4 weeks, getting windows and waves, awful days, good days and bad days. Usually have multiple good days in a row 2-7 days followed by multiple bad days 2-7 days. UPDATE: Symptoms of dread/despair/terror/panic/derealization got worse, started taking 100mg Zoloft in August 2016. No relief after 8 weeks, Zoloft upped to 150mg, still no relief. Quit Zoloft over 1 week and switched to Prozac 20mg Dec 2016. Felt worse during this time, dose upped again to 40mg. Feb 2017: After 8 weeks at this dose, dread/despair has finally lifted. Symptoms returned, was put on low dose of Aripiprazole, got severe akathisia and stopped taking it after 5 days. Switched to Effexor 75mg in 2020. Started tapering in January 2022 due to akathisia. Currently taking 45mg Effexor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rose and welcome to SA.

I moved your post and created your Intro/Update topic.  Thank you for completing your signature.  You've joined a very supportive site with lots of information.

It would seem from your signature that your tapering is catching up with you.  You did the right thing updosing after you got the severe withdrawal symptoms.  SA recommends tapering by 10% of the previous dose with a hold of 4-6 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  It might be a good idea to hold for another 4 weeks to give your brain a chance to catch up.  Also, is Zoloft the only drug you have been taking?

Here are some links to information which might help you to understand SA's recommendations and why we get withdrawal symptoms:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This will be your Intro/Update topic where you can ask questions and keep a journal of your progress.  Please keep your signature current so your drug history can be seen at a glance.  You can FOLLOW (top right) and you will be notified when someone replies.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll stick with my current dose for another 4 weeks and hopefully i'll be more stable. I'm only on Zoloft but was taking Prozac for 6-7 years until Dec 2014.

I have been on meds for 16 years. Started taking prozac at 16 for social anxiety, panic attacks, derealization, low mood, anxiety, agoraphobia. Meds stopped working after 7 years and symptoms returned. Switched to Sertraline (Zoloft) 100mg in December 2014. Started experiencing feelings of dread/terror/despair around October 2015. Started tapering from 100mg to 85mg, held this dose for 4 weeks, no withdrawals. Tapered dose to 75mg, for 3 weeks, no withdrawals. Tapered again to 50mg, severe withdrawals almost immediately (severe anxiety, depression and derealization). Re-instated next day to 75mg. Have been on 75mg for 4 weeks, getting windows and waves, awful days, good days and bad days. Usually have multiple good days in a row 2-7 days followed by multiple bad days 2-7 days. UPDATE: Symptoms of dread/despair/terror/panic/derealization got worse, started taking 100mg Zoloft in August 2016. No relief after 8 weeks, Zoloft upped to 150mg, still no relief. Quit Zoloft over 1 week and switched to Prozac 20mg Dec 2016. Felt worse during this time, dose upped again to 40mg. Feb 2017: After 8 weeks at this dose, dread/despair has finally lifted. Symptoms returned, was put on low dose of Aripiprazole, got severe akathisia and stopped taking it after 5 days. Switched to Effexor 75mg in 2020. Started tapering in January 2022 due to akathisia. Currently taking 45mg Effexor.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update. I've now been stable for 2 weeks. I can't believe it, I thought I'd be permenantely in a state of despair, depression and derealization. 2 weeks of good days is a miracle. It seems my body is taking longer to adjust to withdrawals.  I'm going to stay at this dose for another 2 weeks then reduce to 65mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rose, its good to see that you have stabilised after a bad wave. Be careful when you make your next reduction. We recommend no more than 10% reductions and that would be 7.5, taking you down to 67.5. It doesn't seem much different but as the dose lowers the cuts need to get smaller.  If it is hard to measure the smaller dose it is available in a liquid. Or you can make your own from tablets, so maybe you could take a 50mg tablet and 17.5mg in liquid form. Here is the topic for tapering zoloft.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

Tapering 10% or less will take time but will mean that you get off with little discomfort, withdrawal can be a nightmare as you know but can usually be avoided. 

You are doing great, thank you for updating us :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 1 month later...

I'm struggling. I'm still on 75mg and too scared to reduce any further. I'm in an awful wave phase again where I feel  anxious and have waves of dread/despair. Surely I shouldn't still be feeling like this as I've held this dose (75mg) for 3-4 months now. Will I ever feel normal again or will I be stuck with these awful feelings? I'm concerned that perhaps these aren't withdrawals and are the original problems coming back?

• Moderator Emeritus

Rose, you will feel normal again. You'll have brighter windows and weaker waves and then eventually you'll get back to "normal", whatever that is for you.

Withdrawal symptoms are mysterious, unpredictable beasts. Aside from saying that they will come and go, we can't make any predictions about them: which ones will occur, what their intensity will be, when they'll occur, how long they'll last. 

Your symptoms (feeling anxiety, dread and despair) are a communication from your CNS (central nervous system) -- an indication that it has been destabilized and is working to regain stability. 

Tell me about your most recent window. :)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you so much, Silver. I'm feeling much better today. I find that the weather has a profound impact on my feelings of dread. 

I recently had a 6 week window, I thought I was over all the waves. I've had around 2 weeks of waves and windows. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you had a better day on Sunday, Rose. Summer is lovely after months of cold and grey.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 7 months later...

The past 15 months have been the most difficult, hellish and relentless. I have been on Zoloft and Prozac since I was 16 for anxiety/panic attacks, depression and derealization. I'm now 26 and 15 months ago whilst on Zoloft for a yeaar, I started having these awful feelings of dread(worse in mornings), panic, terror, despair and just complete turmoil. I don't know if my meds had stopped working, or if I had developed a generalized anxiety or severe depression. I have had these symptoms almost everyday 24/7 for 15 months, until recently. My Prozac seems to finally be working, and I feel such a huge relief.

However, I really want to start trying for a baby in the next 1-2 years, and don't want to take meds whilst pregnant. I'm terrified of feeling the dread/despair again and I just don't know what to do. I have been feeling almost back to normal for the past 5 days after 9 weeks of Prozac 40mg.

I am taking capsules, and would like to perhaps try making my own solution to taper, but it looks overwhelming with all the numbers doses, syringes etc.

Can anyone offer me any advice? I'm worried i'll never get off these drugs or have a family. I have been reading a lot on this forum and it seems to take years before people get any relief from withdrawal symptoms. 

Hi Rose:  Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Hopefully one of the moderators can give you some advice soon.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Rose, what is your current dose of Zoloft?  When did you last reduce the dose?

Others in the same situation as you are posting in this topic: Wanting a baby and withdrawing.

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Scally, I'm currently on 40mg Prozac, I have been on this dose for 9 weeks. Prior to that I was on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks or so. I was on Zoloft 150mg before that. I haven't been reducing yet, I did start last year with the Zoloft, but symptoms got worse and started increasing Zoloft, then switching to Prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you feel that the Prozac "seems to be finally working" after 9 weeks at 40 mg, I'd urge you to consider stabilizing there for at least another few months, possibly until you've been on that dose for 6 months.

An anecdote, one data point: A relative of mine, having the same concerns many newly expectant moms do, discontinued Prozac once she learned she was pregnant the first time. That wee boy was born healthy but 4-5 weeks early. Fortunately over the last 20+ years he has had no noticeable health effects that can be attributed to his premature birth. He's a strapping, joyful and smart lad. During her 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, his mom continued Prozac. Those babies were born full-term and are doing very well as young adults: also smart, social, active and enthusiastic.  As I said, one data point.

scallywag's Introduction

Hey Rose,

I am no expert, but I have heard that the pills are safe for pregnancy.   I was watching a youtube video a few months back about  a woman who had been on paxil for over a decade and had gotten married and started withdrawing during her honeymoon because she wanted to get off the pill in hopes of getting pregnant.  the video is entitled "One's Woman's Struggle with Paxil Withdrawal and Back"  and the user name is amydanielle1027.   she was in wd for 7 months and just miserable when she made the video.  she ended up reinstating and posted two years later that she had a healthy happy baby girl.  I was drawn to the video because if you watch it, amy has horrible bags under her eyes, which I also have now after 3 years of wd.  

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• 2 years later...

Topic title:  Tapering from Prozac advice

I have been on AD's since i was 16 (i'm 28 now) for panic attacks/depression/mild autism. I have had 3 failed tapers as i did them too fast. I have been on prozac and sertraline, but am currently on prozac and have been for the last 3-4 years. I was on 40mg for most of this time, but had my dosage increased in January 2019 to 60mg. I decided to start tapering to 40mg in March as my intrusive thoughts and urges were getting worse. I then went down to 30mg in April. I have mild withdrawals that lasted about a month.  I have held this dose of 30mg  since April. I feel ready to taper again however, i am really afraid to start messing with the capsules and doing the liquid taper as I have read that a liquid taper is reacted to differently. I wasn't sure if it was safe to make a liquid out of the capsules as the capsules allow for a more controlled/slower release whereas the liquid version would surely cause difficulty? I'm so scared of going through the constant dark depression and terror that i did before whilst withdrawing. Please can you advise me as to the best way to go about this? Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
moved topic to Intro and added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rose91,

And welcome back.  And yes, best to proceed now with plenty of information and carefully.

Tips for tapering off Prozac(fluoxetine)

take a look ^

Are you considering making your own liquid or getting the pharmaceutical formulation?

It looks like the do it yourself liquid of Prozac has a long, successful history.

How do you take your Prozac now.......do you take one 20 mg capsule and one 10 mg capsule to get your daily dose?

You might consider, making your own liquid, and then taking part of your dose in liquid and the rest in capsule form.

You'll see more about this towards the end of the first post, in the tapering Prozac link I included.

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

5 hours ago, Rose91 said:

I'm so scared of going through the constant dark depression and terror that i did before whilst withdrawing. Please can you advise me as to the best way to go about this? Thanks!

And I wonder if some of the dark depression and terror that you experienced might have been WD symptoms.  Prozac has one of the longest half lives of the AD's.  What this often equates to in terms of WD symptoms is that you may experience some of the WD symptoms, well after the initial changes in your dose, while tapering.

And some more general withdrawal information here(as I'm not sure how much you might have browsed the site so far):

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

Okay.  All for now.  And ask any questions right here Rose91, on your introduction page.  This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey. That helps us, to keep your more pertinent information, all in one place.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
added quote

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, Rose. Prozac capsules are not slow-releasing. If you can't get the prescription liquid, many people make their own.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you both so much. I have a few questions as i'm finding all the information about liquid tapering overwhelming.

I will get both a graduated cylinder and a syringe to see which i prefer. what size in ml do I need? They have 5ml 10ml 25ml 50ml and 100ml.

I am currently taking 30mg of prozac in capsule form (one 20mg capsule and one 10mg capsule). I plan to take the 20mg capsule whole and do a liquid of the 10mg to let myself adjust to the part liquid dose, as I have a feeling i'm going to be really sensitive to the change to liquid. So, I will hold my current dose of 30mg whilst doing 10g liquid and 20mg capsule. Can I use the 1:1 ratio of 1 parts water and 1 capsule powder? For example, 10mg powder from the capsule dissolved in 10ml water, and i take all of the solution, correct? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Rose91: tapering Zoloft - unstable after 4 weeks when to taper?

Anybody? 😊

Hi Rose-- sorry that it's taken so long for someone to get back to you.

I think a 20ml graduated cylinder should work just fine.

Using a 1:1 ratio is the easiest way, it takes all the calculations out of the process.  Just be sure not to mix up the capsules when making the mixture, it's been known to happen around here. 

Combining both capsule and liquid is a pretty common way to do it. It's a good idea to take the combination dose for several weeks before starting to taper just to see how you react and to let your body adjust. Then you can reduce the amount of the liquid as you start to taper.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 years later...

I have been on various meds since I was 16 (I'm now 32). I have been taking Effexor for around 3-4 years. For the last 3 years I have been dealing with akathisia, which forced me to start coming off the drug. I have been tapering from 75mg since January 2022. I am currently at 45mg. Each taper I have reduced 10% and held for 2-3 months. Withdrawals are usually delayed by 4-8 weeks, hence the long hold. The most recent taper was the lowest taper (5%) 2.5 months ago. Severe akathisia started around day 4 and lasted around 3 weeks. I thought I was safe. For the last 3 weeks I have been dealing with severe akathisia and mental anguish/depression. I am dealing with almost constant looping, terrifying dark intrusive thoughts and urges. I have urges to jump out of my skin/out of the car. I can barely do anything until evening as the mental anguish/depression is so bad. It is unbearable and I don't know how I'm still alive. It is worse in the mornings and days. I am currently taking propranolol and 2mg Valium when really desperate (I only have a very small amount prescribed). Usually my withdrawal symptoms last 2-4 weeks. I am around 3-3.5 weeks in and I don't know if I should -

• wait to see if symptoms subside at the 4 week mark
  • Re-instate my previous dose
  • Quit tapering and go back to my original dose of 75mg

The suffering is unbearable and I don't think I will survive on this dose longer than a week with these symptoms. Which option should I go for, or are there other options? Please help.

Since you have a track record of stabilizing after each cut, it makes sense to me to continue to hold. It might take longer because you're lower though. You might even park yourself at 45mg for a long while and give your brain a break . You could always go up a little too but that might do the same thing a long hold will. 

Careful with the Valium. 

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

I'll wait for others with more experience to advise on withdrawal procedures with what you're taking but I would advise researching propanolol. Beta blockers are known to cause depression. It happened to me over a short period of a few months. 

All the best. Stay strong you can do this.

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

1844180629_Screenshot_20230107-114728_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.c6f0f5ebbeb526acb42875b2cd324e55.jpg 

Lexapro 10MG

• Mentor

@Nevertoolatea word of caution regarding passionflower … it affects serotonin levels, making it dangerous to take while using any antidepressant. It’s especially risky for those suffering from a sensitized CNS and those who are tapering.

@Rose91I’m sorry to hear about the very difficult place you are in right now. Too me, it looks like you have been dealing with a sensitized CNS even before you started the Venlafaxine 3-4 years ago. You had a lot of changes in medication prior to that time without a proper taper of any of them. This has left your body/brain very sensitized and upset. I think the last thing you’d want to do  right now is make any sudden changes. In other words, I would NOT increase your Venlafaxine to 75mg. When the CNS is in this state, it cannot handle normal doses of almost any drug. 

Right now, your body is craving stability. No sudden changes, IMO. When I was going through something similar, what helped the most was to wait many months before even tapering one tiny bead of Effexor (each capsule contained about 130 beads).  I also didn’t take any other supplements, as most of them made the aka-like symptoms much worse. Are you taking any other medications besides Venlafaxine and Valium? Any supplements? You might want to list everything in your signature so the mods will have a complete list of all medications and supplements you are taking. See my signature for an idea of how to list them.

Also, what form of Venlafaxine are you taking? Pills or capsules? If pills, are they XR or IR? If capsules, does it contain many tiny beads (over 100 beads) or mini-tabs? How many times a day do you take a dose? How do you measure it? Sorry about all of the questions, but the answers will be useful to the moderators.

My heart goes out to you. Please hang on to the hope that it does get better. 

Edited by FindRest

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

Thank you for the info on passionflower. I've just ordered some tea and have yet to see how it goes. I'm 4yrs off now so just looking for something to quell the anxiety when it hits. 

Lexapro 10MG

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your help. I woke up today and felt a lot better, akathisia is still there but the anguish was significantly reduced. I think I realised why I have been experiencing these sudden symptoms. I am taking the effexor tablets twice per day, and I have changed my sleeping pattern, so I have been waking up later and taking my pills later. I believe I am supposed to take the pills 12 hours apart, however I was taking a pill at 6pm and then waking up at 9 or 10am, when I usually wake up at 7 or 8am. I believe it is called interdose withdrawals?

Anyway. I took them exactly 12 hours apart yesterday and today so hopefully the akathisia/anguish will continue to get better.

Findrest, I am taking the tablets twice per day. I weigh them using a gemini scales. I'm not taking any supplements as I have found previously that they trigger my akathisia. I take 20-30mg propranolol as and when needed. I try not to take anything if I can help it. Today I have managed to not take anything other than my Effexor.

I think something that works well for me is putting food with tiny portions( i eat just one date) in the morning(after waking up) in my stomach, then wait for like 30 minutes until stomach becomes ready to put more food. I think this helped me in a great way and made akathisia  be alot bearable. Try this and i hope it helps.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:57 PM, Rose91 said:

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your help. I woke up today and felt a lot better, akathisia is still there but the anguish was significantly reduced. I think I realised why I have been experiencing these sudden symptoms. I am taking the effexor tablets twice per day, and I have changed my sleeping pattern, so I have been waking up later and taking my pills later. I believe I am supposed to take the pills 12 hours apart, however I was taking a pill at 6pm and then waking up at 9 or 10am, when I usually wake up at 7 or 8am. I believe it is called interdose withdrawals?

Anyway. I took them exactly 12 hours apart yesterday and today so hopefully the akathisia/anguish will continue to get better.

Findrest, I am taking the tablets twice per day. I weigh them using a gemini scales. I'm not taking any supplements as I have found previously that they trigger my akathisia. I take 20-30mg propranolol as and when needed. I try not to take anything if I can help it. Today I have managed to not take anything other than my Effexor.

i wasn't on a certain drug all the period. i took many drugs many times and for no very long period but to simplify.

--fluvoxamine maleate100 mg + amisulpride 200mg------started july 2012 and total taper in february 2015 ( 9 months without drugs then)

--sertraline 100mg -------started november 2015 and total taper (withoud reduction slowly) in november 2016( 4 months withoud drugs then).

--sertraline 100mg + quetiabine 25mg ( started in mars 2016 and for 7 months) then fluvoxamine maleate 100mg again for another 7months and after that a something like to use every drug for 14 days and for about 1.5 years.

--my last drug was trintellix 10 mg ( used it in 12/2018and total taper in 4/2019).

symptomts i have now ( bad concentration and problems in short and long memory+ bad depersonalization).

On 1/8/2023 at 11:14 PM, mustafa said:

I think something that works well for me is putting food with tiny portions( i eat just one date) in the morning(after waking up) in my stomach, then wait for like 30 minutes until stomach becomes ready to put more food. I think this helped me in a great way and made akathisia  be alot bearable. Try this and i hope it helps.

Thank you. My akathisia seems to have reduced a huge amount by taking the doses every 11-12 hours, but I'm now getting horrific depression. I am mostly housebound, can't leave the house, find it difficult to do anything but force myself to do the minimum. It's so painful to exist like this.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Rose91 said:

My akathisia seems to have reduced a huge amount by taking the doses every 11-12 hours, but I'm now getting horrific depression.

Hello, @Rose91 I merged your current posts with your existing topic.

How long have you been taking venlafaxine twice a day? How has your symptom pattern changed over that time? How do you measure your dose -- are you weighing beads?

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Rose91 I merged your current posts with your existing topic.

How long have you been taking venlafaxine twice a day? How has your symptom pattern changed over that time? How do you measure your dose -- are you weighing beads?

What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages?

Thank you for your reply. 

I take the 37.5mg tablets, they are supposed to be taken twice per day. I cut and weigh them. Each dose weighs around 105mg on the scales after cutting. I take them at 6 or 7 am and 7pm.

• Administrator

Your tablet fragments are all immediate-release. That is why it's important to take the dose twice a day.

How long have you been taking your dose 11-12 hours apart? What was your prior drug schedule, when you had "akathisia"?

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Your tablet fragments are all immediate-release. That is why it's important to take the dose twice a day.

How long have you been taking your dose 11-12 hours apart? What was your prior drug schedule, when you had "akathisia"?

Yes I've always taken them twice a day, but I recently got into a bad habit of sleeping in and so it messed up my schedule and I was experiencing interdose withdrawals. Before then I would take them every 10ish hours. So, I'd get up around 8-8:30am, take my tablet, then take another around 6pm. Now, I'm taking it at 6-7am and 6-7pm.

I still have akathisia, but the constant akathisia seems to have gone since I started taking the meds earlier at 6-7am. The akathisia I get is still really difficult. I get violent looping intrusive thoughts and urges when around family and urges to jump out of my skin. I believe this is both inner and outer akathisia. It got worse since my last 5% taper 11 weeks ago. 

Sometimes I want to throw the towel in and go back to my original dose or a different med because it's so horrific. I can't even leave the house alone anymore. I don't see it going away because I've had it before whilst on my original dose. I believe I reached tolerance and possibly kindled. I'm just a mess right now and wish it would all go away.  Sometimes I wonder if I should do another 5% taper as it may help the akathisia (I got different withdrawal symptoms with each taper). But this could also backfire and just make it worse.

• Administrator

At what times of day is the "akathisia" better or worse?

Is it better or worse before or after you take a Effexor dose?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

At what times of day is the "akathisia" better or worse?

Is it better or worse before or after you take a Effexor dose?

It's hard to say. I take it around 6-7am and the violent intrusive urges starts around 1pm. Interestingly, these looping/racing thoughts and urges are worse or sometimes triggered by being around family/people, usually at home. It seems to get worse 2-3 hours before my evening dose.