SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hi Andy

what were  the symptoms when you tapered the olanzapine if any., The insomnia when did it stop and for how long?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Insomnia anxiety akashia depression severe fatigue massive weight gain

everything settled about six months after finally tapering to zero

yoh have to tackle itvfrom all angles ,diet,excersise,patience,faith,time to heal

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

Hi Andy , hope your doing well. I was on Zyprexa Wafers for 7-8yrs and I'd had enough and bout 6wks ago i went from 15mg Wafers then 2wks later dropped to 10mg then another 2wks to 5mg then 2wks more stopped completely. Im now just into my 4th wk of Withdrawals. Ive been having alot of aches an pains headaches an terrible insomnia. I do have some Dizzy spells aswell. Dispite all this my mind is very clear an has been since i went of Zyprexa. I think this is making me determined to see it thru. I'd like to ask you or anyone on this forum do or have you experienced any of my Withdrawal Symptoms? ? If so how much longer will i have to have these Symptoms? ? Thanking you Lloyd 

I was treated for major depression some 7-8yrs ago and put on Mertazipine 30mg my PDr increased this to 60mg some 2yrs later and at this time she put me on ZyprexaWafers 5mg then a yr later increased to 10mg. And just 2yrs ago my Dr said i could take 15mg if i felt i needed it and i only used this dose from time to time. I decided that afew months ago that i didnt need my meds an decided to drop my Mirtazapine 5mths ago from 60mg to 30mg. No major adverse effects. 3mths ago i decided to come off Zyprexa and went in 2-3wkly steps from 15mg to 10mg to 5mg to zero 3wks later. My only Antidepressant tablet im currently taking is 30mg Mirtazapine. I am on other medications for my physical health. Lloyd 

• Administrator

Hello, Lloyd. Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum so we can get to know you and answer your questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Andy

Hope you are good

Four days back I jumped zero olanzapine from 0.625.

From that day I am getting 2,3 hours of quality sleep. 

How ever I am managing to keep shut my eyes 3 more hours.

Today I am facing difficulty due to continuous improper sleep.

But no other withdrawal symptoms.

So please I am looking up to you to what to do.

How to manage this sleep problem without reinstating?

please.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

• 4 weeks later...

@andy what was the longest period of time you were on Zyprexa?  Also highest dose?

I have gathered from reading that the longer you are on something the harder it is to come off of it.

I can find the source where they tested this on rats in Robert Whitakers book if necessary.

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

All,

I originally read Andy's thread, joined the forum, and replied. The Moderator moved my reply to the new members intro section. My experience is very similar to Andy's. My last dose of Zyprexa was almost 12 weeks ago. I took it for 14 years and I started my rapid taper at 30mg/day. I started my taper at 10% and immediately got about every withdrawal in there is. I had to get off Zyprexa because the side effects started killing me once I got to such a high dose and for so long. My Doctor wanted me off so she had me taper by 25% every 10 days. when I got down to 2.5 mg, I went to 1.25, then 0.625. The toughest for me was at 0.625 then when I stopped. For me that's when it got really rough. The absolute worst was when I hit the 4 week mark. That was the worst time for me. I have no reason why. Just happened. My doctor had me try Ambien and Valium to help with the insomnia/anxiety but they didn't work so I stopped them before I ended up getting hooked on those. Benzo withdrawals suck and sleeping pills aren't fun either.

At week 9 I started getting better (except the insomnia and no energy). I had good days and bad days (mostly good). Then about week 10 my withdrawals stopped except the insomnia and low energy which was something I could easily live with. I saw my Doctor 4 weeks ago today. She put me on Trazodone for sleep and suggested I try pure CBD oil. The Trazodone hasn't helped a whole lot. I started the CBD last week and it's helped. In fact I've fallen right asleep and gotten 7 hours+ straight sleep the last 4 nights. I personally think it's the CBD since I've been slowly upping the dose until I found what works. I don't know if its the CBD, Trazodone for sure, or if I'm just getting better. I asked my Doctor today if I could start tapering the Trazodone and she suggested that I stay on both the Trazodone and CBD until the energy level increases.

I'm very similar to Andy. The thing that helped/helps the most is exercise. I'm a swimmer. Hadn't swam for years but started again under my Doctor's advice. She said that the brain has to learn to adjust and work without the drug stimulation. She said the fastest way to help the process along was to do a aerobic exercise as often as possible to get the endorphins naturally released. I started swimming again Feb 2 and I was lucky and was able to build up my endurance to one mile (freestyle, no stops) after 6 days. I now swim around 1-1/2 miles nonstop 5 days per week. It really helps. When I was experiencing really bad withdrawals, after I swam, most of my symptoms were gone. However, in the evening, they'd return. At least I'd get 3-4 hours of relief. When I initially started Zyprexa, I gained about 50 lbs. I've always been a very active and athletic person. I started eating well and exercised (mostly walking). I lost all the weight until my dose was increased from 20mg to 30mg last year. Then my weight went back up by 25 lbs. Now I'm down to less than my original pre-Zyprexa weight by a few pounds, my Zyprexa side effects issues have pretty much resolved themselves, and I'm feeling much better. Zyprexa did help me but I kept building up a tolerance and had to keep going up in dose. Since I originally took the weight gain back off, I didn't really have any side effects other than not being all there mentally. It's only when I put on 25 lbs after the last dose increase is when the side effects really took hold. My theory is that if one can keep the weight off and not eat junk food like Zyprexa makes you want to do, you can keep the Cholesterol, Blood-Sugar, and high liver panels in check. 

I completely agree with Andy about staying off the internet once you start the taper unless you're seeking positive advice. I didn't know this website existed until last week. All I read were horror stories and failures and not success stories. Reading the bad stuff just gives one a negative feeling and I think makes things worse. I always thought I'm not giving up. Just doing the taper itself took a couple of months. For me it was too much of a waste of time to give up. While it sucked to be me withdrawing from Benzos years ago, it did teach me that with time, it would end. I kept that attitude and always thought forward that one day the Zyprexa withdrawals would stop which they did.

Good luck to all and Andy's given everybody great advice and told it like it was for me.

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

9 hours ago, arwilliams said:

@andy what was the longest period of time you were on Zyprexa?  Also highest dose?

I have gathered from reading that the longer you are on something the harder it is to come off of it.

I can find the source where they tested this on rats in Robert Whitakers book if necessary.

3 years in total but i was also on citalopram ,sertraline and quetiapine for a while

stop reading about it and start detoxing the junk from your body and then you can get on with life

the body is made to heal itself give it the right tools it will including the brain

good luck

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

On 5/24/2018 at 1:04 AM, andy said:

3 years in total but i was also on citalopram ,sertraline and quetiapine for a while

stop reading about it and start detoxing the junk from your body and then you can get on with life

the body is made to heal itself give it the right tools it will including the brain

good luck

I am still waiting to stabilize on Paxil and Zyprexa. How stable were you when you started your Zyprexa taper?  Were you taking anything else at the time?

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs

Is your sleep at least a consistent 3-4 hours now?

I can go 2 maybe 3 days with out sleep temporarily.

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Thank you for the response.  Sorry it appears the editor submitted 2 posts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, DaveB said:

I am still waiting to stabilize on Paxil and Zyprexa. How stable were you when you started your Zyprexa taper?  Were you taking anything else at the time?

No I got off everything else ,I did what the admins said on here and got off the most activating first ie the ads

I was a complete mess when I started tapering 

On 5/26/2018 at 10:22 PM, arwilliams said:

Is your sleep at least a consistent 3-4 hours now?

I can go 2 maybe 3 days with out sleep temporarily.

Sleep is perfect and I can nap in the day most importantly it's refreshing sleep

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 5:43 PM, Plshelp said:

Andy, 

Did you ever not know what to do with yourself? My circadian rhythm is totally screwed up and my perception of time is altered severely. I don't have any bodily sensations (can't feel hunger, fullness, thirst or even if I have to go to the bathroom). Plus I have no thoughts, motivation and anhedonia. I feel really unwell and had to go on an antidepressant b/c the depression, extreme suicidal thoughts and despair were eating me alive.

I don't know what to do everyday with myself and I just follow ppl around all day. I was following my mom around, but she got sick of me, so now I go and follow my friend Damon around all the time. I'm literally just shadowing them. They eat, so I eat, they drink, so I drink, they go to the bathroom, so I go to the bathroom, they go to the store and I go with them. 

Did you ever have any symptoms or issues like this? I'm scared I'm going to be like this forever. 

@Plshelpfor me it took 12+ months before some of the symptoms lifted a bit. Keep healthy and medicine free for 2 years and you should have seen some kind of larger relief. I still dont feel hunger hehe but I can have small desires plus I know food helps me so I eat regularly 3 Times a day best food I can find. It took me 6 months before I felt first real progress, which wasnt that impressive  btw. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

@andy. It possible for you to quickly write down what you eat a normal day? (also if any supplements). Your recovery progress and strategy is very similiar to mine. Would be interesting to ear what you eat to compare. Im not as fully healed as you but Im hoping I will do more. Havent been able to train for more than 3-4 months so Im hopeful. Very Nice work A++

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Andy has said it perfectly. Exercise. That’s helped me the most. You’re not gonna feel or have the strength to do it but you have to force yourself. If you haven’t exercised in a long time, start by walking. I don’t lift weights, I swim. I get 100% relief while I’m swimming and the endorphins effect from an aerobic workout lasts 3-4 hours. Plus it helps with sleep. it. I told my Doctor exercise helped. She said to exercise more.

Getting this crap out of your system requires a total lifestyle change. It takes willpower, guts, internal strength, and dedication. Commit to living without sleep for several months. As Andy said, it’s something you just have to deal with. If you find anything that helps, keep doing it. 

I still feel weird but mych better better when I was on Zyprexa and WAY better than the withdrawals. 

Good luck. Be strong

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

16 hours ago, frasier23 said:

@andy. It possible for you to quickly write down what you eat a normal day? (also if any supplements). Your recovery progress and strategy is very similiar to mine. Would be interesting to ear what you eat to compare. Im not as fully healed as you but Im hoping I will do more. Havent been able to train for more than 3-4 months so Im hopeful. Very Nice work A++

I ate a non processed food diet with lots of healthy fats to heal my brain also lots of fresh vegetables

You must absolutely cut out sugar drinks and any caffeine,j drank lots and lots of spring water as well

Magensium three times a day and that was about it ,I used to walk for hours 

I called it burning off anxiety and it worked 

2 hours ago, andy said:

I ate a non processed food diet with lots of healthy fats to heal my brain also lots of fresh vegetables

You must absolutely cut out sugar drinks and any caffeine,j drank lots and lots of spring water as well

Magensium three times a day and that was about it ,I used to walk for hours 

I called it burning off anxiety and it worked 

Hey andy, 

you said to cut off caffeine as well. Can you explain why you think it s bad?

Also I like to ask you if you still have brain for and anhedonia?

If not how long it took for those and other symptoms take to go away?

Thank you

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

You do t want anything stimulating so you can sleep and not feel wired 

By July 2016 I felt pretty good no side effects left 

@andy. Thanks Andy. I have some follow ups if you dont mind.

Did you have tinnitus and if so is it gone?

Why is magnesium important 3 Times a day according to you? (you still on it?)

When you say spring water, what brand did you buy or do you have own source? 

I drink a lot of tap water but I know its not perfect water. 

7 minutes ago, frasier23 said:

@andy. Thanks Andy. I have some follow ups if you dont mind.

Did you have tinnitus and if so is it gone?

Why is magnesium important 3 Times a day according to you? (you still on it?)

When you say spring water, what brand did you buy or do you have own source? 

I drink a lot of tap water but I know its not perfect water. 

I Had very bad tinnitus after quetiapine ,magnesium is vital for nerve health and very relaxing I still take 250mg a day

I also had a smoothie with hemp seed protein every day its a perfect ratio of omega 3 and 6 for brain health 

Tinnitus is almost non existent but took a long time to go ,I wont touch tap water its full of flouride which is a neuro toxcin. I go to a natural spring in the hills near me

Thanks @andy, this means a lot.

I will look into hemp seeds and magnesium. Dont think I have any spring water nearby, maybe some kind farmer know. Will look into that since I got the imagination from you that it was an important thing for your recovery. I like those things. 

On 7/2/2018 at 1:57 PM, andy said:

I Had very bad tinnitus after quetiapine ,magnesium is vital for nerve health and very relaxing I still take 250mg a day

I also had a smoothie with hemp seed protein every day its a perfect ratio of omega 3 and 6 for brain health 

Tinnitus is almost non existent but took a long time to go ,I wont touch tap water its full of flouride which is a neuro toxcin. I go to a natural spring in the hills near me

Hi Andy,

I'm trying to habituate to severe tinnitus that started after taking Wellbutrin back in early October, 2017.  I know this is not definitive for everyone, but could you please tell me how long your "long time" was before relief from tinnitus?  And did it go away completely?  Do you have any advice on how to deal with it?  Was yours a result of ADs?

Also, could you please tell me what brand and/or composition your magnesium is?  I have a crazy side effect of irritated, swollen tongue when I take it even in small amounts.  

Thank you for any feedback.

RM

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy. It was sure nice reading your success story, and I hope you continue to do well.

I was wondering if I could trouble you to provide some clarification on your taper schedule once you hit the 2.5mg mark. I couldn't quite figure out what you did with the every-other-day thing. You said that you split a 2.5mg pill in half and took it every other day, but I assume you continued to take 2.5mg on the 'other' day, correct? Or did you go straight from 2.5mg to 1.25mg every other day, as your post seems to imply? And what pill did you cut in quarters?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and thanks.

My previous drug history was confusing, so I deleted it in favour of the following summary, as best I can recall:

2017 - Jun 2019: olanzapine, dose erratic, ranging from 1.25 to 2.5mg per day.

2017 - Jun 2019: klonopin, dose erratic, ranging from 0.0625mg twice a day to 0.25mg twice a day.

2017 - Jun 2019: gabapentin, dose erratic, ranging from 200 to 300mg per day.

Date uncertain: Lamotrigine, small amount for two months, C/T.

Jun 2019: admitted to hospital after months of severe rage (which I am certain was caused by akathesia, but no doctor caught it). Doctors cold-turkeyed all drugs, I submitted to 10 courses of ECT, and was put on 50mg of seroquel at bedtime.

Jul 2019 - Feb 2020: reduced seroquel sporadically from 50mg to 18.75mg.

Apr 19, 2020: Reduced seroquel from 18.75mg to 16.5mg.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@rajp

An Introduction topic was created for you when you posted in September 2018.  You can find it here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18912-rajp/?tab=comments#comment-378843

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy, happy to hear you fully recovered. Gives hope.

I'm currently on 2.5mg and by a doctors guidance I'm going to lower it to 2mg next month and the down to 1.25 the following month and then stopping.

I'm wandering how exactly you did it? Can you be clearer with what you did? There's only a minimum of 5mg zyprexa where i live. So I'm currently cutting that in half. The plan next month will be to cut the 5mg in half and chop some off the half so it's 2mg but it will be hard to know exactly how much I'm taking. I'm starting to get into a workout routine so I'll be fit to work out when insomnia hits. I'm nervous about the drops. But it has to be done. I just don't know what to expect. How long will the withdrawal symptoms last? If i have severe headaches can i take an advil pill to calm it? How will i deal with insomnia? How long will it last.

If you can give more information would be amazing.

Thanks!

History : Olanzapine  I was put on 15mg (10mg night 5mg day) olanzapine for the wrong reason (30/10/2018). 

After 10 days I realized what pills I was taking, I stopped taking them quite rapidly going from 15mg one day to 10mg the next to 5mg the next to 2.5mg the following and then stopped until I started to experience bad withdrawal symptoms. After 10 days The insomnia was too bad and I was forced to go back on olanzapine and started to taper down from 15mg to 2.5mg.

I have now been on 2.5mg for a month (12/12/2018 - 8/1/2019).

Currently: (evenings) Olanzapine Jan 2019 2.5mg

@andy tagging you so you get notified 👍

History : Olanzapine  I was put on 15mg (10mg night 5mg day) olanzapine for the wrong reason (30/10/2018). 

After 10 days I realized what pills I was taking, I stopped taking them quite rapidly going from 15mg one day to 10mg the next to 5mg the next to 2.5mg the following and then stopped until I started to experience bad withdrawal symptoms. After 10 days The insomnia was too bad and I was forced to go back on olanzapine and started to taper down from 15mg to 2.5mg.

I have now been on 2.5mg for a month (12/12/2018 - 8/1/2019).

Currently: (evenings) Olanzapine Jan 2019 2.5mg

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky in that able to get 2.5 mg tabs.  I went to 1.25 mg then halved those to 0.625 mg. Going below 2.5 mg was most difficult for me. I know some places have liquids and strips. Get to the level as low as possible before taking your last dose.  

I’m  not an expert. I went off Zyprexa too fast. Going below 2.5 mg was tough for me

Good luck

On 2/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, M2019 said:

Hi Andy, happy to hear you fully recovered. Gives hope.

I'm currently on 2.5mg and by a doctors guidance I'm going to lower it to 2mg next month and the down to 1.25 the following month and then stopping.

I'm wandering how exactly you did it? Can you be clearer with what you did? There's only a minimum of 5mg zyprexa where i live. So I'm currently cutting that in half. The plan next month will be to cut the 5mg in half and chop some off the half so it's 2mg but it will be hard to know exactly how much I'm taking. I'm starting to get into a workout routine so I'll be fit to work out when insomnia hits. I'm nervous about the drops. But it has to be done. I just don't know what to expect. How long will the withdrawal symptoms last? If i have severe headaches can i take an advil pill to calm it? How will i deal with insomnia? How long will it last.

If you can give more information would be amazing.

Thanks!

I said to myself having no sleep can't kill me and just did my best ths day after,the anxiety of not sleeping just makes the whole thing worse 

Aljer seltzer gold worked best for my headaches 

If you read my old posts I refused to put a timescale on recovery and just told myself I will eventually heal

Exercise made me relax  and released a rush of endorphins ,I walked and walked and walked then eventually went back to martial arts training 

Some days I felt like crap but knew I would heal

• 9 months later...

@Andy reading your story is absolutely amazing I'm tapering now I been for a few months

I was prescribed 7.5 of zyprexa once a day about 5 years ago but I only took half

I refused to take the whole thing and I'm glad that I didn't I did gain weight but my weight stayed the same for these past 5 years in the summer time I didn't like how I was feeling and started reading on the Internet about this drug and realized why I was feeling the way I was and mind you I was only taking half of 7.5mgs

so I stopped taking half and started cutting them into 1/4s which I done for awhile and about a week ago I switched to 2.5mg and cut them in half do I been only taking half's some days

I feel good and some days I don't I keep reading stuff which helps especially when there are positive storie's like this one but today is a little rough day cause I just don't feel like myself but I just praying to God to get though this

I'm tapering slowly because I just don't wanna stop abruptly so I'm taking it slow but I did notice when I was taking 1/4 of the 7.5 I noticed a difference like feeling almost normal now I'm taking half of 2.5 I'm praying it makes me feel more and more like myself

I also was just put on another blood pressure med as well but I will keep my faith that this too shall pass and I vow to never take medicine like that again in life I rather take life each day and live it to the fullest than to be put on medicine like zyprexa

I really wish I didn't take it in the 1st place

I'm also a recovering addict for 7 years now I been clean from prescription opiates and my son keeps me motivated he is my sunshine and a true gift from God and I want to be the best I can be for him always and be an inspiration to him as well as others!!

But I will keep my faith that I'm able to stop the half of zyprexa 2.5 soon I will take it down as needed to be nothing but any tips or advice will help and like i said reading positive storied definitely makes things so much better and my advice to everyone if you really don't have to take medicine please done try alternative routes if you can obviously this **** sucks only if I knew what I know now back then things would be different but I learned and again I will keep my faith and take it one day at a time and from now on I will live a healthy life style and do what I can without medicine!! Sending prayers to all remember We got This!!

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing for readability

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello @andy, thanks for posting your success story. I am currently in week 6 of being completely off Olanzapine. I've had a hell of a time, insomnia is my number 1 problem now, but your success story gives me hope, there are so few success stories on the Internet (That I could find) when it comes to Olanzapine cessation.

Congratulations, it is quite the achievement!

2004 - 2020: Olanzapine 40mg for schizophrenia (Started to taper in 2016, completely off December 2020, still have withdrawals)

2004 - present: Lorazepam/Clonazepam 1mg as needed, rarely use them

2004 - 2017: Venlafaxine 75mg for depression

2008 - present: Metformin 2000mg for diabetes

2008 - 2013: Lipitor 40mg for high cholesterol

2008 - 2018: Bezalip 400mg for high triglycerides

2013 - present: Crestor 40mg, 20mg , 10mg and now 5mg for high cholesterol

2016 - present: Forxiga 10mg for diabetes

2019 - present: Lurasidone 60mg for schizophrenia

2020 - 2021: Various supplements (100mg 5-HTP, 100mg l-theanine, 500mg GABA, Jamieson Herbal Complex (Relax and Sleep), 500mg Vitamin C, 400 IU Vitamin D, 12.5mg Zinc picolinate , 5mg Melatonin, CalmAid, 10mg CBD, 100mg l-theanine)

2021 - present: Reinstated Olanzapine for sleep, stopped working after a month, no longer on it, still have brutal withdrawal insomnia. Stopped all previous supplements. For sleep I now use: 1 mg clonazepam, 3000mg glycine, 700mg l-theanine/day.

I've tried some other drugs short term but discontinued them early due to side effects. I can't remember all their names, antidepressants and antipsychotics, was only on them for a week or so.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy! 

Really an amazing recovery story. Thank u for sharing it. Diid u had any kind of apathy and anhedonia? It's the biggest problem for me. Thanks and greetings driks

09/2018 Quetiapin 100 mg 8 weeks 

10/2018 Prozac 20 mg 2 weeks 

05/2019 - 10/2019 abilify 2.5 mg

12/2019-03/2020 Moclobemid 600

01/2020 - 04/2020 Lithium 1125

03/2020 8 ketamin injections

05/2020 drug free 

11/2020 lots of improvements 

12/2020 cigs crash, huge setback 

07/2021 a bit better but far from my state in autumn 2020

01/2024 I crashed again 2022. I live an disabled life and start to think it's forever 

• 3 months later...

Hi Andy, 

Am off from olanzapine from 15 mg to 2.5 mg in past 3 years tappering. Past 10 days am med free. But past 3 years am having male anargasmia condition where I cannot feel orgasm. Have you had this kind of sexual issues when you were off from this medication or when on it. 

• 2 months later...

Hey Andy would love it if you can. Drop in to give an update.

2013-2018 dxm and alcohol abused

Feb-2020 40mg adderall, 20 mg paroxetine

Jun-2020 15mg olanzapine, 30mg paroxetine, 40mg adderall

Dec-2020 CT everything

Mar-22-2021 10mg olanzapine, 100mg trazadone, 300mg ×2 trileptal

April-25- 2021 CT olanzapine and trazadone

Apirl-29-2021 reinstated 5mg olanzapine

Apirl 29-Current- 5mg olanzapine

Mar 22-current 300mg ×2 trileptal