SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Serotonin levels affect brains response to anger

Phil

Quite interesting. Though this somehow would mean, that my levels in those regions did not change during wd as I am not more or less angered than before. On the contrary, when I do not feel good in the mornings I am more prone to go ballistic (just found that phrase in the dictionary and I love it <g>) than in the evenings.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

I have to scoff at any studies showing serotonin is responsible for human emotion. Please file this study under "chemical imbalance theory."

When you see studies like this, you have to ask "How did they measure the serotonin level in the brain?"

This study did not measure brain serotonin levels. It fed study subjects a low-tryptophan diet, then assumed this resulted in low brain serotonin.

Now the body has relatively vast amounts of serotonin in the gut, and probably many routes to manufacture serotonin other than tryptophan conversion.

If the body is lacking serotonin, why would it deprive the brain of serotonin rather than take it from the gut? The brain has a lot of compensatory mechanisms to maintain stable levels (homeostasis).

So I question this study and its findings on the grounds of leaping to implausible conclusions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Phil, since this is an article about a scientific paper and not the paper itself, I'm moving this topic to Media.

Thanks, as ever, for adding interesting material.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy