bbm: Cipralex withdrawal struggle

Hello everyone.... I have been reading the forums for some time and finally decided to register and hopefully get some advice. I have struggled with a major depression for the past year. I had a whole bunch of seemingly minor health issues over the past two years: tiredness, extreme bloating, pressure, heaviness in the stomach and these excruciating attacks where my whole upper body felt like it was being squeezed in a vise.

I started to make the rounds to see doctors... Encrinologist, gastroenterologist and had various tests done...finally diagnosed with gallstones and referred to a surgeon to have gallbladder removed. Surgery was scheduled for March 2015 and in January had another really bad gallbladder attack which felt like a heart attack... It was so bad that it sent me to the ER. They confirmed that if was the gallbladder but also referred me to a cardiologist just in case.

Went to have a stress test done which was inconclusive, followed by a stress test echo, followed by another test and finally had to have an angiogram done as all other tests were inconclusive. The angio was clear and the cardiologist gave the go ahead for the surgery. The surgery went fine and spent the first week following it on oxycodone for the pain.

Tapered off that and that's when all hell broke loose... Crying for hours on end, feeling completely hopeless, broken, empty and filled with an overwhelming sadness ...unable to control myself at all...GP prescribed clonazepam at 2mg to help me deal with it, several weeks went by and all I could feel was this sadness and an extremely strong fear of death, loss of my loved ones, how short life is, and I couldn't grasp the concept that one day I will cease to exist...this lasted for a month or so and finally the GP said needs to refer me to psychiatrist and for me to take AD's.

As wary as I was of the pills I didn't see a choice... Started on 50mg if Pristiq and augmented that with 4mg abilify within two weeks and also 2-3mg of clonazepam at night. Waited to see the psychiatrist until end of July... Things hadn't really improved by then so was switched to 10mg of cipralex and within 2 weeks upped to 20mg...

by beginning if September felt good for the first time however was really struggling with weight gain 1lb/day) so psych decided to start tapering clonazepam from 2 to 1.5 to 1 to .5 every 2-3 weeks and also decided to taper me off the abilify within a week. Got off the abilify successfully and had a relapse into sadness for about 3 weeks at which point things leveled out again.

By mid October stopped the clonazepam and descended into HELL for 6 weeks...horrible withdrawal... Was absolutely unable tondo anything not even leave the house... Tremors in hands feet and head, unable to think clearly concentrate, mental fog, extremely dizzy and faint....by late November was better and started talking about a return to work. At that time started having very vivid and horrible nightmares every single night and was unable to fall asleep for hours...the worst things you could imagine I dreamt them.

Started taking zolpidem 10mg followed by a test of trazodone 50mg which didn't work at all so kept taking the zolpidem as needed. Returned to work mid December but by then had developed a bad case of TMJ on the left side of my face, was almost unable to eat and constantly on strong painkillers and muscle relaxant. Nightmares continued and was still taking the 20mg cipralex.everything felt forced and surreal, the thoughts about death adn loss and what the hell does it all mean continued..

had another relapse at the end of March and by then the zolpidem wasn't working almost at all, psych put me on seroquel 75mg as a test but made me so sick after 3 days that stopped it. By now it was early April and I had had enough. Decided to start trying to sleep again without any meds and it was a bad struggle for a couple of weeks, also discussed ending the cipralex with the psych and she agreed.

The taper was 20mg to 15mg for a week then to 10mg for a week and then 5mg for 8 days and then stop....there were no symptoms as I moved between dosages and finally took my last one last Wednesday. First 3 days were OK, just a bit of fog and spaceyness but on Saturday got extremely dizzy so much that can't walk even round the house, my whole body hurts even my hair, developed bad cough, very tired, occasional tremors in my hands and head and those thoughts are back with a vengeance.

I am finally sleeping better but also started to gain weight... Mental fog, lack of concentration, occasionally these very weird almost like snapping noises in my head, pain in my ears.... It's only been a week and I am already asking myself how the hell am I going to get through this again. My husband has been taking care of me in addition to the kids and I haven't been able to do absolutely anything....

It's quite long but it felt good to share...any thoughts opinions help are welcome....does anyone else have these scary and very persistent thoughts of life death and how short it all is....how do I deal with that?

Edited by KarenB
added paragraph breaks

Pristiq 50mg May 2015 to July 2015

Abilify 4mg May 2015 to September 2015

Cipralex 20mg August 2015 to May 2016

Clonazepam 2 mg April 2015 to October 2015

Zolpidem 10mg April 2015 to April 2016

Also tested trazodone 50mg and seroquel 75mg and both didn't work

The moderators must all be out on their dinner break at the moment.

So in the meantime...

Firstly welcome...and thankyou for sharing. I am so glad you have found sa. There is nothing you have said that is new to anyone here.

You know what, your drug has been your problem. I think you knew it all along too. Its difficult when we continue to put a misplaced trust against a house of cards.

any thoughts opinions help are welcome....does anyone else have these scary and very persistent thoughts of life death and how short it all is....how do I deal with that?

yes i did and i thought it was just me until i joined a forum like this and now i know this is one of many classic wdl symptoms.

Try not to let it consume you although it can be all consuming at times. It will pass in time. once you know it is not you it is the drug wdl it becomes easier to accept.

The way i see it there are two options

1. Refuse to swallow anymore drugs from the doctors and remain drug free. It will get better in time but we could be talking many months, or

2. If you are unable to cope then a low dose reinstatement of the lexapro (cipralex) would no doubt be the recommended drug to reinstate. I am sure people will be in soon to give you a ri figure.

Fortunately you havent been on for that long unfortunately youve have been exposed to a smorgasboard of this stuff and that can complicate it. Furthermore 20 mg of cipralex is not a small dose. (Its almost equiv to 40mgs of paxil). After 9 months use dependence is well established imo.

You tapered for 3 weeks but a taper of 10 % per month of previous dose is proving to be the best way off these drugs giving the brain time to adjust and function. Some can go faster and some are having to go slower.

You might like to read this link on tapering cipralex

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

The good folk here will be in shortly with all the great links soon. Some may even be finishing dessert as i post.

Withdrawal is very disabling and i am so sorry you have to go through this. You are not alone. The medical profession really have no idea regarding the nature of the drugs they are giving people and are very good at hurrying people out with a prescription in hand yet they have no idea how to get them off this stuff.

You are very fortunate to have a husband who can step up at this time.

You both may like to spend time on here reading there is a mountain of informative info.

Are you able to get hold of this award winning book it is probably in most libraries...Anatomy of an epidemic by Whitaker

https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epidemic-Bullets-Psychiatric-Astonishing-ebook/dp/B0036S4EGE

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

bbm its very quiet around here at the moment so i will give you the top of the pops reading list

Its a bit of a link dump i know but you can always come back to it no pressure to check them all out today. These really are well worth a look and very informative.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Neuro Emotions

Feel free to update your intro anytime.

You are not alone.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for the understanding and fast info...I have been reading different portions of the site periodically...

Today the dizziness seems to be a bit more manageable but still very much...

And yes I am definitely done being a guinea pig....

ok well just to let you know it may be rough for some time however you are aware now its the drugs and not you.

Check out the windows and waves link its a good one for getting an idea of what may be on the horizon

Recovering paxil addict

Hi bbm.  Welcome.  You will find lots of support and information here. I'm sorry for what you have been through.  You've had a lot of drug changes , and that is probably contributing to your withdrawal symptoms , as well as the very fast taper in early April.

As it seems you have only been off Cipralex, a short time, a small reinstatement of 1- 2mg , could possibly help to ease your withdrawal symptoms. This can sometimes help stabilize, and then slowly tapered off, after your nervous system has settled down.

NZ has already given you the links. Please have a read , and then come back with any questions that you might have.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks for the warm welcome Ali

I must say that I discussed what's going on with my GP as not seeing psychiatrist until next week and she thinks I have "anxiety" and not possible to have withdrawal as cipralex does not cause withdrawal.... She is adamant about that...meanwhile I haven't been able to do anything or leave the house in a week...

Unfortunately , doctors know very little about withdrawal . That's how we ended up here. If you are interested, we recommend the book " Anatomy of an Epidemic" , which could help you to understand a little more about this.

In the meantime, here are some links that might help you deal with your doctor.

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

I hope this helps.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

As AliG says doctors do not acknowledge wdl and neither will the pdoc.

You would be far better served spending time on this site getting self informed.

In fact there is a very high chance you will come away with a (cocktail) prescription.

This site is testimony to the fact that wdl does exist.

Go to the journal section and look at some peer reviewed journal articles. (i'll see if i can give you a link to one).

Track down the PIL and read the fine print and you might find withdrawal syndrome hidden deep within it.

cipralex does not cause withdrawal.... She is adamant about that...

This is very disappointing.

Recovering paxil addict

Look at the quotes in the provided lexapro link above one is from the FDA....

During marketing of Lexapro and other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, and hypomania. While these events are generally self-limiting, there have been reports of serious discontinuation symptoms.

or

Just did a quick google

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/28937

If you stop taking Escitalopram.

If you want to interrupt the treatment, please discuss this with your doctor beforehand. He might need to take appropriate measures. Do not stop taking the medicine on your own initiative without discussing this with your doctor. When stopping treatment with Escitalopram, your doctor will gradually reduce your dose over a number of weeks or months. This should help reduce the possibility of withdrawal effects.

When you stop taking Escitalopram, especially if it is abruptly, you may feel discontinuation symptoms. These are common when treatment with Escitalopram is stopped. The risk is higher, when Escitalopram has been used for a long time or in high doses or when the dose is reduced too quickly. Most people find that the symptoms are mild and go away on their own within two weeks. However, in some patients they may be severe in intensity or they may be prolonged (2-3 months or more). If you get severe discontinuation symptoms when you stop taking Escitalopram, please contact your doctor.

What does your doctor know that the FDA or the pharma company dont know?

See that bit '2-3 months or more' the 'or more' is no doubt put there to cover themselves against litigation for when it goes for years.

Later scanning the journal inks here is one very good one

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8335-fava-2015-withdrawal-symptoms-after-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor-discontinuation-a-systematic-review/

Recovering paxil addict

Hello, bbm. I also tapered Cipralex from 20 mg, but for longer than a year and ended it at the beginning of March 2016. Since then I started to have an impossible anxiety that causes struggle into every day life, makes living a hell. So, it is not you, it is withdrawal for sure that's causing you this, you also tapered too fast, but only having patience and bearing the symptoms of withdrawal will make you heal in the end. Forgive my short intervention, I hope it makes sense. Indeed, doctors know nothing about withdrawal.If it were up to my doctor, I should have cold turkey'd the Cipralex and have absolutely no problem, which is nonsense.

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

Hi Delia sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. For me it is approaching the two week mark and some of the things happening I don't know how to deal with...sudden weight gain, increase in vivid dreams/nightmares, headaches, increased TMJ pain, upset stomach,excessive bloating, weird "noises"and/or pulses in my brain, sudden onset of lower back pain....

The toughest thing to figure out is what's withdrawal and what's not

Started taking magnesium and fish oil....

Also yesterday and today feeling both down and aggressive.... Lots of yelling....no patience....

Still of work and according to my GP nothing physically wrong with me....and yet here I am feeling like I am falling apart...

Anyone, any ideas how to make things easier.... Boy where is that magic wand when you need it...

Hey where in Ontario are you ?  Its a crime that doctors are reccommending drugs they know nothing about.   

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Hey Mort in Toronto...

I agree with you; had I not been in the shape I was in last year I never would have started the meds but...have to deal with it somehow...

Yet another bad night..had some salad and my stomach feels horrible and again am feeling very angry for some reason

I have been off the 5mg cipralex for almost two weeks now. Regardless of what it how much or how little I eat my stomach almost immediately swells up, feels very heavy, bloated and lots of pressure. In addition I have been gaining weight steadily for the past 2 months ...about 10lbs...can't seem to control it no matter what... I lost about 35 lbs post surgery and am very overweight as it is...can't afford to gain any weight
Open to any and all ideas...Please help

Edited by KarenB
moved from symptoms forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi bbm,

These are all common symptoms, have a look through these topics for some ideas:

Digestive problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD - Symptoms ...

Weight Gain, Weight Loss and Appetite Changes - Symptoms and self ...

Edited by KarenB
moved from symptoms forum

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

A rather tricky way of getting to the last post... bile is part of the detox system our body goes thru... drugs that damage the gallbladder system damage our ability to detox.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/110-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

post 12

Bit about the gall bladder you no longer have in case it turns out to be important later.  who knows it may

I do't have one either...

It would seem you problems started after surgery which you say went well some drugs given during surgery can mess with you head as can the pain pills you get after surgery.  Those pills plus the fact you don't have a gallbladder to help detox the drug which may have been a gentler come down off the pain meds if you had... just another guess I am always good for a guess... not so much for writing cohesive sentences... but run on ya famous for that.. I know the rules just can't stop my thought to apply them or I will forget what I want to say... hi... 

What always plays a part in this is how we first got on the drugs...I think it kills our confidence to ever need a psych drug but we suck it up and get on with it... 

Over the years of reading many posts where people bother to put their history before drug use up there are clues and causes often... drugs used to put you out in surgery can have reactions some don't hit right away or it may be both that and the pain meds.  

It would have been great if your doc knew that and gave you a month off work to get your crap together... did she test you for B12 thyroid or any of those known factors before giving you a drug... there are other common things that cause upset... I can't think of them all... oh hormones... birth control.. I wonder if the gallbladder has any effect on how we metabolise drugs.. I don't know I am just wondering.  

Sometimes it takes years but we look back after we educate ourselves and see how it all went down and wish we knew then... it may well be this was all drug induced to start with. 

The jury is still out as nobody seems to know much about this process for sure but there was one article I can't get any longer that stated cold turkey ..almost what you did  can add to the likely hood of a protracted wd... if you asked my advice I would say take a tiny bit and taper off as sometimes these drugs have delayed wd affects that don't hit for a few wks.  I have this suspicion that once we are in this process we need to be very gentle with our brains... and stopping ct or fast taper like you have is not gentle.  Your brain cells will not see that as gentle.. and if your going to have delayed wd it will hit hard but really it seems you have most of hard wd already... protect your brain and ease out of this cage back wards take a bit of the drug to stop it from suffering and reacting worse... that is just my opinion. 

I suffered long and hard I did not know I was in wd till 8 months after I stopped cold turkey.. all of this is hind sight for me.  I have watched wd sites for 8 years my guess is when your brain is reacting violently to wd it means it is hurting when it hurts it can be eased with a bit of the drug...not too much just a taste if it works you can ease out.. if it doesn't your still where you are now. 

That is it for me... I wish you peace and welcome to SA

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I read a bit of a clue that maybe no gallbladder changes how we metabolise drugs.. from this: 

"Menopause changes cholesterol and bile metabolism and drugs impact key regulators of cholesterol and bile metabolism [13,14]. Bile salts and the gut microbiome provide the steroid substrate precursors essential for steroidogenesis. It may be that specific drugs in combination, such as Hmg-CoA inhibitors (statins) and proton pump inhibitors, may be problematic if introduced at times of physiologic change [15]. Dual drug combinations that require functional cytochrome 3A4 and p-glycoprotein may have difficult to measure impact at menopause, because women lose a portion of intestinal 3A4 [16]

I dont' know how important it is but it is interesting. 

peace

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

I remember myself in sudden withdrawal from a cocktail of meds two years ago ( I went back on them finally ) and feeling physically very ill, did all the health checks , but all turned out fine, even though I was feeling very ill. So, it's withdrawal sooner than you, bbm. The brain is sending all mixed distorted messages in the lack of its missing substance, and that's causing a lot of pain in the body. It's figuratively similar to the feeling of going nuts.

1999-Zyprexa 5 mg, then 10 mg until 2013,little Haldol for short;Zyprexa with on and off periods, horrid withdrawal and back on,sometimes added Escitalopram(Cipralex)20 mg;2013-Risperidone 3ml,Depakine 300 mg,Escitalopram 20 mg,Levomepromazine 1 mg;at need Clonazepam(Rivotril) 0,5 mg;october 2014-2015 Risperidone 3ml,Mirtazapine-7,5 mg,Escitalopram-20 mg;2015-Risperidone 2 ml,Mirtazapine-3,75 mg, Escitalopram- tapered during the year;

may 2015(started work)-added Clonazepam 0,5 mg every third day;december 2015-Risperidone 1,5 ml,Mirtazapine 3,75,Escitalopram 5 mg;Clonazepam-increased dosage to 2 mg;

December 2015 until January 2016 added Carbamazepine 600 mg and gave up Clonazepam until March 2016-Risperidone 1,35 ml, Mirtazapine 3,75 every second and third day(schedule of tapering),Escitalopram-0mg,Clonazepam for a week every third day, then reintroduced Carbamazepine 400 mg for a week, then stopped Carbamazepine.

Since the beginning of april 2016 taking Risperidone 1,30 ml, Mirtazapine 0 mg for five days, 1,87 mg for two days, then turned to 3,75 mg every night, Clonazepam 0,5 mg .

April 27 - upped Risperidone to 2 ml and Mirtazapine to 7,5 mg to bear with the lack of Escitalopram that caused huge anxiety, Clonazepam 1 mg every third day. May to November 2016: Risperidone 1,50 ml(tapering from 2ml, started the taper may 2016); Mirtazapine:3,75 mg(tapered from 7,5 mg, started the taper may 2016); Clonazepam 0 mg(started the taper from 0,33 mg daily).January 2017: Risperidone 1,40 ml(tapering every 4 weeks); Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(tapering to 1,87 mg), Clonazepam(10 days): 0,5mg-0,5mg-1 mg. 4 mg/day for 3 days.January 19: added 200 mg Carbamazepine/day(for 3 days), off Clonazepam.February 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 3,75 mg(1,87 mg 3 nights/week), Buspirone 2 x 5mg(3 days,then stopped), Clonazepam occasionally (every third day usually 0,5 mg or 1 mg,hopefully I will stop); March 24th 2017: Risperidone 1,35 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg(0 mg every 3rd day); Anafranil 25 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg. April 18th 2017: Risperidone 1,30 ml; Mirtazapine 1,87 mg; Xanax 0,25 mg; Anafranil stop.May 6th 2017-present: Risperidone 1,30 ml.

Supplements: Omega 3,Magnesium, Lavender (occasionally), Pramiracetam, Choline, A combo of Lemon balm and St John's wort.

Approaching the one month mark....last week the lower back pain escalated to such a degree that I was barely able to walk; ended up in the ER and they think most likely pinched nerve as I also had shooting pains down my left leg. Gave me 500mg naproxen twice daily and also percocet for the pain. It's been a little over a week and my back is better but still very painful, almost impossible to do anything sit stand or walk for long. Tried to go out for an hour yesterday and today pain is stronger. Stomach issues continue, insomnia comes and goes. Has anyone had a problem with their lower back?

bbm.  I don't think anyone can say for sure that your back pain is a withdrawal symptom , but some have had this in W/D , or at least very similar. These links discuss this :

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=surviving+antidepressants+back+pain

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6504-tension-pain-twitches-spasms-in-muscles-and-joints/

Could you possibly update your drug history signature, as it's a little hard to tell what drugs you are still on without going back through your thread.

Thanks,

Ali

Hi Ali, thanks for sharing the links. Lots of good information and seems that lots of people experience aches and pains as a WD symptom. I almost hope mine is just a pinched nerve as it will pass quicker.

My signature is updated - have been completely med free since I took my last Cipralex May 4. Since then only supplements like fish oil, magnesium and muscle relaxant/painkillers...

Hi bum,

I'm so sorry you are going through such a tough path!

I can relate to the back pain which I have been having early of my tapering. I didn't know it's from WD or drug reaction until one year later I found it always goes with other pains from the drug.

Light walking, stretching and swimming helps but like all other symptoms, the WD takes the main control.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

lexanger love your avatar photo...so cute

Between the extreme dizziness and the low back pain I haven't been able to leave the house in 3 weeks....barely managed to make it to one appointment and when I went out with my husband Friday for about an hour just for groceries my back pain was much worse the next day

New development today though...i feel like I am getting sick...throat started to hurt last night (feels like incoming strep and I get it at least once or twice a year) my whole body hurts top to bottom, feels like I've been in a fight, ears hurt when swallowing, no energy whatsoever...

And I feel down and out.....keep telling myself it will pass but it's hard....these physical symptoms are just.... horrible

Thanks bbm! I know how you are feeling, as I have been going through each day like insane for years even on a micro taper. No one really knows how these drugs harm/alter our brains but they are definitely very very powerful like from aliens. After years of incredible experience tapering, I learned not to be surprised if ANY symptoms would flare up!

You were on them for a rather short time which is great. Now you are off these poison so I am sure your recovering will be much faster without further manipulation by the drugs.

When my back is so stiff and painful, I worry about the permenant damage but I can tell you when I'm in a window, it goes away completely.

Like all other symptoms, I believe the back pain will eventually go away once our systems stabilize and get back to normal status.

Just hang in, do nothing when we can't and just wait,

Sending healing power to you!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Thanks lex will keep hoping and waiting

If the back pain is wd or not wd it can still be helped by taking an epsom salt bath... two cups epsom salts warm water... relax and sleep like a baby. 

peace

Had a car accident in 85