Boomer: Olanzapine + Effexor XR + others

Boomer

Boomers husband(BH) i am thrilled you have done a post, congratulations.

I am sorry you have to go through this.

Hold on a minute i have missed something i have been following this intro thread and i dont remember mirtzapine  being mentioned?!!

I assume then you are now on

225effexor

18.75 olanzapine

15 remeron

with more to come...

Its always good to check in with sa before one takes a(nother) drug from the doctor.

I am sorry the medical profession are doing this to you.

I'm at a loss for words to be honest.

The high anxiety 10/10 and inner restlessness is driving him spare!

Do you think this 10/10 inner restlessness which was mentioned the day after you took remeron may have been an adverse drug reaction.?

You are now taking what has been refered to as Californian rocket fuel.

About going off mirtazapine plus venlafaxine (Effexor) aka "California rocket fuel"

Its great that you have stepped up to post.

SA is a site for people who want to get off their drugs is that something that you would like to do? Or are you happy to continue with the medicines the doctor is providing?

Many have discovered that they arent being informed by the medical profession and have had to start doing their own research on the drugs and their true nature.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boomer

• nz11

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Boomer's Husband,

Have you seen the akathisia threads? 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/32-akathisia-vs-restlessness-anxiety-agitation/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7029-blog-my-akathisia-experience-by-akathisiainfo/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8452-freshs-fractured-fairytale-how-much-can-a-koala-bear/

It's an awful thing to go through but it does end.  Adding further drugs doesn't usually help a CNS that is already destabilised.  Time seems to be (unfortunately) the only cure.

We have some members who have survived awful akathisia (see the last link above for a detailed case).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 months later...

Hi BH any update?

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 3 months later...

Any update from the Boomer household.

Hope things have improved for you.

Recovering paxil addict

• 3 weeks later...

Boomer would you consider completing the withdrawal survey. IT is so important that withdrawal difficulties are spoken off and this is a great opportunity to have your voice heard.

Recovering paxil addict

bump 

What do you think about the withdrawal survey?

Recovering paxil addict

Great news Boomer we got an extension on the survey so there is another 2.5 days in which to still participate.

Recovering paxil addict

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I have returned to this forum as nothing that has been suggested by PsyDoc to assist my husband has worked and I think we are in a bigger hole than before! 

In November 2016 my husband suffered severe Akathasia  after reducing small amounts of the Olanzapine.   We believed the PDoc who said the medications were causing this and once we had lowered the medication especially the Olanzapine and the Effexor the Akathesia would stop.  We lowered the Olanzapine and the Effexor and the Akathesia did stop eventually but was replaced with Serotonin Syndrome and then disabling Panic Attacks/Anxiety that are so bad they are paralysing.  

Introducing the Mirtazapine didn't help his symptoms and their was a mix up with the amount of mirtazapine to be taken which then caused Serotonin Syndrome.  The Pdoc was very concerned and reduced the Mirtazapine quite dramatically!  He had been very suicidal and an attempt was made.  During the beginning of 2017 the Effexor  brand  was changed to Enlafax XR which apparently the capsule inside cannot be cut or crushed etc.  We have two PDoc's one a community Psych and the other a Neuropych.  Both totally agree that the incorrect medication was given to my husband and both agree that he needs to come off it, especially because of his previous Traumatic Brain Injury. 

The NeuroPsych suggested taking high dose Propranolol to help with the Panic Attacks/Anxiety.  This has helped but now my husband has developed reflux and  has low  hemoglobin.  The NeuroPsycdoc suggested we reduce the Propranolol and try using Lamotrigine for panic attacks/anxiety starting at 25mg per day for one week  and if no side effects to increase by 25mg per day the following week and so on up to 200mg.  I have searched the internet on this drug and was concerned about the side effects so we decided against it.  

I then came across a post by Altostrata who used this medication, but starting at a very very low dose.  I wondered if Altostrata could comment on this please?  Also he has started 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x1 Ferrous Fumarate for his reflux and I have noticed his anxiety panic attacks are worse and the Propranolol doesn't seem to be working as well!  Although it could be the remnants of the Mirtazapine reduction one month ago.  The ComPsycDoc wants to reduce the Olanzapine by 1.25mg as my husband is stiff and has the gorilla type statue he says indicates he is still over medicated.  I am reluctant to reduce further at this stage although my husband is in a terrible place.   I am returning to this forum to see whether you are to shine any further light on this situation please?  Thank you. 

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph spacing

Effexor Brand changed over to Enlafax XR sometime during the first three months of 2017.
Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.  7/4/17 Propronolol @ 40mg  x 3 times per day increasing as required.  160mg Slow Release x 3 times per day for disabling Panic Attacks.   15/5/17 medication mix up, somewhere prior Mirtazapine increased to 60mg per day. PDoc concerned of Seratonin Syndrome reduced to 30mg per day.  21/6/17 Effexor 37.5mg  reduced.  22/8/17 Mirtazapine reduced 15mg. 14/9/17 Developed GERD added 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x1 Ferrous Fumarate, 17/9/17 Propranolol dosage between 320mg to 400mg 3 to 4x per every second day for disabling Panic Attacks.  17/9/17 Current Medication: 12.5mg Olanzapine, 187.5mg Enlafax XR, 15mg Mirtazpine, Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 pd, Propranolol 320mg to 400mg x 3 or 4 x perday. 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x 1 Ferrous Fumarate  29/9/17 Propranolol  Slow Release 160mg x 3pd, Propranolol 120mg x 3 pd = 840mg per day.  9/10/17 Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 per day, Propranolol 80mg x 3 per day = 720mg per day.  Increased 10/9/17 Propranolol 840mg per day. 14/10/17 Reduced Mirtazapine to13.5mg 18/10/17 Removed Mirtazpine 13.5mg  23/10/17 Reducing Propranolol by 10mg every second day down to 400mg per day. 13/12/17 Now at 400mg Propranolol per day - holding.  20/12/17 Reduced Olanzapine by 10% to 11.25mg.  21/1/18: Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg    Reducing Propranolol by 10mg per week.  8/3/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg . 6/4/18 Reduced .625mg Olanzapine. 4/5/18 Reduced .625 Olanzapine  31/5/18 Changed from Propranolol 160 SR to Propranolol 160. 8/6/18 Morning Olanzapine changed to wafer and reduced by .10mg. 15/6/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .10mg per week Current Medication:  8.345mg Olanzapine; 187.50 Enlafax SR;  Propranolol 55mg x 4 per day.  Minimum 30mins exercise per day.  Fortisip x 2 per day. 

6/7/18 Admitted to Hospital with Chronic Aspiration Pneumonia - medications reduced.  8/11/18 Effexor XR 75mg morning and 37.5mg evening, Madopar Rapid 62.5mg x 4 per day.

Bump

Thanks for taking the time to  update Boomer.

I'm so sorry the medical profession have done this to your husband. 

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator

Hi, Boomer -- What does this mean??

On 9/17/2017 at 0:42 AM, Boomer said:

my husband is stiff and has the gorilla type statue he says indicates he is still over medicated

Did your husband have "panic" attacks while taking Effexor or Enlafax XR?

As you probably remember, we need to know about symptom pattern and dosing schedules, and we ask you to keep daily notes. Can you do that?

What is your husband's daily symptom pattern and dosing schedule?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

8 hours ago, nz11 said:

Bump

Thanks for taking the time to  update Boomer.

I'm so sorry the medical profession have done this to your husband. 

Yes NZ11 what a journey we have been on!

Effexor Brand changed over to Enlafax XR sometime during the first three months of 2017.
Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.  7/4/17 Propronolol @ 40mg  x 3 times per day increasing as required.  160mg Slow Release x 3 times per day for disabling Panic Attacks.   15/5/17 medication mix up, somewhere prior Mirtazapine increased to 60mg per day. PDoc concerned of Seratonin Syndrome reduced to 30mg per day.  21/6/17 Effexor 37.5mg  reduced.  22/8/17 Mirtazapine reduced 15mg. 14/9/17 Developed GERD added 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x1 Ferrous Fumarate, 17/9/17 Propranolol dosage between 320mg to 400mg 3 to 4x per every second day for disabling Panic Attacks.  17/9/17 Current Medication: 12.5mg Olanzapine, 187.5mg Enlafax XR, 15mg Mirtazpine, Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 pd, Propranolol 320mg to 400mg x 3 or 4 x perday. 40mg Omeprazole x 1, 200mg x 1 Ferrous Fumarate  29/9/17 Propranolol  Slow Release 160mg x 3pd, Propranolol 120mg x 3 pd = 840mg per day.  9/10/17 Propranolol Slow Release 160mg x 3 per day, Propranolol 80mg x 3 per day = 720mg per day.  Increased 10/9/17 Propranolol 840mg per day. 14/10/17 Reduced Mirtazapine to13.5mg 18/10/17 Removed Mirtazpine 13.5mg  23/10/17 Reducing Propranolol by 10mg every second day down to 400mg per day. 13/12/17 Now at 400mg Propranolol per day - holding.  20/12/17 Reduced Olanzapine by 10% to 11.25mg.  21/1/18: Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg    Reducing Propranolol by 10mg per week.  8/3/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .625mg . 6/4/18 Reduced .625mg Olanzapine. 4/5/18 Reduced .625 Olanzapine  31/5/18 Changed from Propranolol 160 SR to Propranolol 160. 8/6/18 Morning Olanzapine changed to wafer and reduced by .10mg. 15/6/18 Reduced Olanzapine by .10mg per week Current Medication:  8.345mg Olanzapine; 187.50 Enlafax SR;  Propranolol 55mg x 4 per day.  Minimum 30mins exercise per day.  Fortisip x 2 per day. 

6/7/18 Admitted to Hospital with Chronic Aspiration Pneumonia - medications reduced.  8/11/18 Effexor XR 75mg morning and 37.5mg evening, Madopar Rapid 62.5mg x 4 per day.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, Boomer -- What does this mean??

Did your husband have "panic" attacks while taking Effexor or Enlafax XR?

As you probably remember, we need to know about symptom pattern and dosing schedules, and we ask you to keep daily notes. Can you do that?

What is your husband's daily symptom pattern and dosing schedule?

My husband didn't have panic attacks when he was just on the Effexor..  But he suffered terribly from anxiety when he came off the Effexor.  The Panic Attacks have surfaced slowly since making the reductions in the medications.  Before the Panic Attacks became a dominant side effect - he suffered  from severe Akathesia for months then Serotonin Syndrome after the mix up in the Mirtazapine doseage .   Now those two have abated the most dominant symptom is Paralysing Panic Attacks.  Yes Altostrata I have been keeping daily notes. His present dosing schedule is:  Morning:  5mg Olanzapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol,   Lunch:  187.5mg Effexor XR, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.  30minutes before dinner 40mg Omeparzole,  Dinner: 200mg  Ferrous Fumarate    Bedtime:  7.5mg Olanzapine, 15mg Mirtazapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.  His symptoms are one day "High Alert Day""Aggitated" "Panic Attacks" Hypersensitive etc (and  also during this day will just stare at the floor. I have asked him what is happening he says he is trying to control the terrible feeling). During this bad day he will take up to 320mg to 400mg Propranolol x3 to 4 times per day.  Then the next day he will have like a Slow Day - still a few signs every now and then of panic but manages to go through it and as the day progresses he seems to become more relaxed, and at times like his old self before they put him on this medication.   

I will try the describe the Gorrilla Type look, maybe that is the wrong wording. When standing he is round shoulders with his arms just hanging down in front of him.  The CommPsydoc called it Parksonian features (stiff muscles, difficulty standing, difficulty with bodily movements, muscle rigidity, problems with coordination, , slow bodily movement, or slow shuffling gait) which is why he wants to reduce the Olanzapine by 1.2mg now and eventually getting it down to 10mg!  The Neuropysch wants to rreduce his medication and suggested we try the Lamotrigine at 25mg to relieve his Panic Attack/Anxiety symptoms.  I wanted to run these two suggestions past you Altostrata as I know you are familar with Lamotrigine and hoped you might share some light on this situation?  I hope I have explained it clearly.  Thank you.

It appears that Enlafax was available in NZ from 1 April 17 (?) so could that be the date you changed over to it ?

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

My husband didn't have panic attacks when he was just on the Effexor..  But he suffered terribly from anxiety when he came off the Effexor. 

Are you referring here to the swap to the Enlafax brand ?

How do you know these symptoms were from the swap in brand .. (not saying they werent but you were also tapering olanzapine at some unknown rate during this time also right?...at faster than the 10% rate rec here, right? This could trigger wdl symptoms...(anxiety etc...) 

Lets not forget also in this time you suddenly started taking 60mg of remeron (previously 15mg)... this abrupt change could trigger symptoms. (This would be equivalent to going from 10mg of paxil to 40mg !! overnight, the symptoms could be so severe they could fill one with suicidal ideations....is this when the attempt happened?..it could be just one possibility of several).

Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.

You started the propranolol on 7 april at 160mg perhaps to cover wdl symptoms from olanzapine?.. or remeron effects?

Then 25 April while unstable you reduced the olanz again.

A month later on 15 may you cut the remeron by 50% to 30mg then

21 June you cut the effexor by 17% to 187mg then

22 Aug you cut the remeron by 50% to 15 mg

14 Sept GERD symptoms develop ...did you know that gastrointestinal problems are a wdl symptom?

17 Sept panic attacks worsen so propranolol ramped up to at times a possible 1,600mg !...no wonder the next day is a 'slow day' tiredness is a side effect, the max dose recommended that i can find for the most liberal of reasons for propranol-SR is 640mg. This will have to be tapered.

It appears to me your husband is being hit by anxiety panic attacks severe wdl symptoms coming in from multiple (addictive brain altering) drugs due to tapering them all too fast. How to alleviate this may be a crap shoot whatever the call but it appears the propranolol isn't covering it so they now want to add yet another drug! I'm sorry but i feel so angry on your behave at NZ doctors.

Just a thought on the lamotrigine ...according to the drugs interaction checker ...the recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three.

This is already so complicated. If you add lamotrigine you will exceed the maximum and now be on four! Unless  the pdoc is planning to just rip one existing one out and then substitute it with lamotrigine?

Furthermore did the pdoc tell you that lamotrigine carries a black box warning for life-threatening skin reactions (to name just one of a handful of very serious side effects...as if you need to be exposed to anymore)...oh sorry this is NZ and Black Box warnings are like the Moa..... any sightings are kept secret or laughed at.

Personally  there will be a heavy price to pay with exposure to this drug and i'm guessing the medical profession will have no problem ramping this up and over the max recommended daily dose.

imo, It seems to me that rather than add more drugs into this cocktail one option may be, no more tapering, try to hold the prop at 160 x3 and try an updose on one of the three major wdl players of olanz, effex or remeron.  But here is the disgusting situation you are in ...which one.

Recovering paxil addict

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Boomer said:

His present dosing schedule is:  Morning:  5mg Olanzapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol,   Lunch:  187.5mg Effexor XR, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.  30minutes before dinner 40mg Omeparzole,  Dinner: 200mg  Ferrous Fumarate    Bedtime:  7.5mg Olanzapine, 15mg Mirtazapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.

That is a lot of drugs, as you're probably aware. Did he always take the olanzapine and propranolol together, and if so, why? Why take olanzapine, mirtazapine, and propanolol together in the evening? What is the omeprazole for?

What is his state when he wakes up?

What happens after he takes the 2 drugs in the morning?

What happens after he takes the 3 drugs at bedtime?

Please run these drugs through the Interaction Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmlhttps://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

and copy and paste the results in this topic.

On 9/17/2017 at 0:42 AM, Boomer said:

We lowered the Olanzapine and the Effexor and the Akathesia did stop eventually but was replaced with Serotonin Syndrome and then disabling Panic Attacks/Anxiety that are so bad they are paralysing.  

Can you explain how your husband developed Serotonin Syndrome upon reducing the drugs? Serotonin Syndrome is due to taking too many drugs.

What were the symptoms of this Serotonin Syndrome?

Do any of your doctors think your husband has Parkinson's?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 20/09/2017 at 8:58 AM, Altostrata said:

Did he always take the olanzapine and propranolol together, and if so, why?

Yes has always taken Olanzapine and Propranolol together.  There is no particular reason we were just told to take them in the morning and evening and we just put them together!

Why take olanzapine, mirtazapine, and propanolol together in the evening?

Once again no particular reason taking the above altogether - we didn't think it would cause a problem doing this.

What is the omeprazole for?

Hubby has developed Reflux and we suspect the Propranolol has caused this.

What is his state when he wakes up?

Hubby use to wake up with a Panic Attack but this has decreased.  He seems okay but takes his medication as soon as he opens his eyes.

What happens after he takes the 2 drugs in the morning?

He takes his medication and we chat, he communicates well and a wee bit of his old self breaks through then about 40minutes after taking his meds.  I can hear the panic rising in his voice and it can be all downhill from there!

What happens after he takes the 3 drugs at bedtime?

Not long after taking the 3 drugs he is sound asleep.

Can you explain how your husband developed Serotonin Syndrome upon reducing the drugs? Serotonin Syndrome is due to taking too many drugs.

We were advised that the Akathesia was due to the Olanzapine and the only way to remedy this was to reduce the Olanzapine.  This was reduced but the symptoms still persisted.  Mirtazpine was introduced to relieve the Akathesia at 30mg per day.  It was only after the pharmacy wouldn't allow us to have anymore Mirtazapine that we found my hubby was taking 60mg per day instead of 30mg, plus the Effexor 225mg per day.  There was a breakdown in communication between the ComPsyDoc and my Hubby.

What were the symptoms of this Serotonin Syndrome?

Sweating Profusely.  Extremely Aggitated and very restless.  Felt like he was going crazy in his head.  Said his head was racing!  This was when two suicide attempts were made.

Do any of your doctors think your husband has Parkinson's?

The ComPsychdoc is very concerned about Hubby being on Olanzapine as Parkinson can develop using this drug.  That is the reason why he wants to get him off as soon as possible.  He said that a person who has received a Traumatic Brain Injury should not be put on this drug!  To answer your questions "I don't know but hope not"!

The NeuroPsychDoc wanted us to stop using the fast acting Propranolol but to keep using the Slow Release Propranolol and add 25mg Lamotrigine to help alleviate his Panic Attacks as a short term measure to get him through the medication reductions.  I was concerned about adding another drug and wanted to check that out with you as I read you used it for the Fight or Fright response but at a very low dose?

Please run these drugs through the Interaction Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.htmlhttps://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

FYI the link to this site didn't work but I found the page you suggested and here are the results. Thank you for taking the time to communicate with me.  I know you are an extremely busy person.  Thank you again.

Please see this post for the pasted drug interactions

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to member's drug interactions

Just to say, as almost a life long sufferer of reflux/gastritis, I would never dream of taking medication on waking.  

Many drugs when taken on an empty stomach give gastric trouble.

Best wishes both.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Hello again - I forgot to include the Effexor XR in my drug interaction list so could you please remove the other content that I placed in your reply with this one please?  Mod Note: Link to this post has been added to previous post.

My Interactions List (Unsaved)
ferrous fumarate
hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol
mirtazapine
olanzapine
omeprazole
Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major
venlafaxine  mirtazapine
Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), mirtazapine

Using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  olanzapine
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, olanzapine

OLANZapine and hydroCHLOROthiazide may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
propranolol  olanzapine
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, olanzapine

OLANZapine and propranolol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  mirtazapine
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, mirtazapine

HydroCHLOROthiazide and mirtazapine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
propranolol  mirtazapine
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, mirtazapine

Propranolol and mirtazapine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
omeprazole  ferrous fumarate
Applies to: omeprazole, ferrous fumarate

If you are iron-deficient or have anemia, you should talk to your doctor before using ferrous fumarate together with omeprazole. By reducing stomach acid, omeprazole may reduce the absorption of iron and make ferrous fumarate less effective in treating your condition. Your doctor or pharmacist may be able to offer suggestions on safer alternatives if you require treatment for stomach acid or ulcer while you are being treated with ferrous fumarate. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  venlafaxine
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Treatment with venlafaxine may occasionally cause blood sodium levels to get too low, a condition known as hyponatremia, and using it with hydroCHLOROthiazide can increase that risk. You should seek medical attention if you experience nausea, vomiting, headache, lethargy, irritability, difficulty concentrating, memory impairment, confusion, muscle spasm, weakness or unsteadiness, as these may be symptoms of hyponatremia. More severe cases may lead to hallucination, fainting, seizure, coma, and even death. Venlafaxine can also affect your blood pressure and heart rate. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring of your blood pressure and pulse to safely use both medications. You should avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or lying position while taking these medications, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose. Call your doctor if you experience dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or a rapid heart beat. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
hydrochlorothiazide  omeprazole
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol, omeprazole

Using omeprazole together with hydroCHLOROthiazide may cause a condition called hypomagnesemia, or low blood magnesium. Drugs known as proton pump inhibitors including omeprazole can cause hypomagnesemia when used for a prolonged period, and the risk may be further increased when combined with other medications that also have this effect such as hydroCHLOROthiazide. In severe cases, hypomagnesemia can lead to irregular heart rhythm, palpitations, muscle spasm, tremor, or seizures. In children, abnormal heart rhythm may cause fatigue, upset stomach, dizziness, and lightheadedness. A dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by the doctor may be required to safely use both medications. If you are using an over-the-counter proton pump inhibitor medication such as Prilosec OTC, Zegerid OTC or Prevacid 24 HR, you should follow the directions on the package carefully. Do not use the medication more frequently or for a longer period than recommended on the label unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
venlafaxine  olanzapine
Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), olanzapine

Using venlafaxine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs and diseases that your selected drugs interact with
ferrous fumarate interacts with more than 80 other drugs and 3 diseases.
hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol interacts with more than 900 other drugs and more than 30 diseases.
mirtazapine interacts with more than 500 other drugs and more than 10 diseases.
olanzapine interacts with more than 400 other drugs and more than 20 diseases.
omeprazole interacts with more than 100 other drugs and 2 diseases.
Effexor XR (venlafaxine) interacts with more than 500 other drugs and more than 10 diseases.
Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate
propranolol  food
Applies to: hydrochlorothiazide / propranolol

Food can enhance the levels of propranolol in your body. You shoud take propranolol at the same time each day, preferably with or immediately following meals. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Avoid drinking alcohol, which could increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking propranolol. Propranolol is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely.

Moderate
venlafaxine  food
Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of venlafaxine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with venlafaxine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of venlafaxine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate
mirtazapine  food
Applies to: mirtazapine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of mirtazapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with mirtazapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of mirtazapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate
olanzapine  food
Applies to: olanzapine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of OLANZapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with OLANZapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of OLANZapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Minor
ferrous fumarate  food
Applies to: ferrous fumarate

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

Therapeutic duplication warnings
Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication
Antidepressants
Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

mirtazapine
venlafaxine (active ingredient in Effexor XR (venlafaxine))
Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Drug Interaction Classification

The classifications below are a guideline only. The relevance of a particular drug interaction to a specific patient is difficult to determine using this tool alone given the large number of variables that may apply.
Major    Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.
Moderate    Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.
Minor    Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.
Unknown    No information available.
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

• Administrator

Yes, that sounds like serotonin toxicity.

Boomer, please read every paragraph of the drug interaction report. For example, it says omeprazole interferes with the absorption of ferrous fumerate. They probably should be taken at different times of day.

You can also see how the combination of Effexor and propanolol can cause depletion of essential electrolytes. And so forth.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:24 PM, Boomer said:

His present dosing schedule is:  Morning:  5mg Olanzapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol,   Lunch:  187.5mg Effexor XR, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.  30minutes before dinner 40mg Omeparzole,  Dinner: 200mg  Ferrous Fumarate    Bedtime:  7.5mg Olanzapine, 15mg Mirtazapine, 160mg Slow Release Propranolol.  

The more drugs your husband is taking, the more problems they cause in side effects and interactions. 

Why is mirtazapine still in the mix?

What is the Effexor supposed to be doing?

On 9/19/2017 at 10:34 PM, nz11 said:

It appears that Enlafax was available in NZ from 1 April 17 (?) so could that be the date you changed over to it ?

Are you referring here to the swap to the Enlafax brand ?

How do you know these symptoms were from the swap in brand .. (not saying they werent but you were also tapering olanzapine at some unknown rate during this time also right?...at faster than the 10% rate rec here, right? This could trigger wdl symptoms...(anxiety etc...) 

Lets not forget also in this time you suddenly started taking 60mg of remeron (previously 15mg)... this abrupt change could trigger symptoms. (This would be equivalent to going from 10mg of paxil to 40mg !! overnight, the symptoms could be so severe they could fill one with suicidal ideations....is this when the attempt happened?..it could be just one possibility of several).

Reduced to 12.5mg Olanzapine, last reduction 25/4/17  on advice from PDoc to reduce the severe Akathesia, Panick Attacks and other disabling symptoms.

You started the propranolol on 7 april at 160mg perhaps to cover wdl symptoms from olanzapine?.. or remeron effects?

Then 25 April while unstable you reduced the olanz again.

A month later on 15 may you cut the remeron by 50% to 30mg then

21 June you cut the effexor by 17% to 187mg then

22 Aug you cut the remeron by 50% to 15 mg

14 Sept GERD symptoms develop ...did you know that gastrointestinal problems are a wdl symptom?

17 Sept panic attacks worsen so propranolol ramped up to at times a possible 1,600mg !...no wonder the next day is a 'slow day' tiredness is a side effect, the max dose recommended that i can find for the most liberal of reasons for propranol-SR is 640mg. This will have to be tapered.

It appears to me your husband is being hit by anxiety panic attacks severe wdl symptoms coming in from multiple (addictive brain altering) drugs due to tapering them all too fast. How to alleviate this may be a crap shoot whatever the call but it appears the propranolol isn't covering it so they now want to add yet another drug! I'm sorry but i feel so angry on your behave at NZ doctors.

Just a thought on the lamotrigine ...according to the drugs interaction checker ...the recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three.

This is already so complicated. If you add lamotrigine you will exceed the maximum and now be on four! Unless  the pdoc is planning to just rip one existing one out and then substitute it with lamotrigine?

Furthermore did the pdoc tell you that lamotrigine carries a black box warning for life-threatening skin reactions (to name just one of a handful of very serious side effects...as if you need to be exposed to anymore)...oh sorry this is NZ and Black Box warnings are like the Moa..... any sightings are kept secret or laughed at.

Personally  there will be a heavy price to pay with exposure to this drug and i'm guessing the medical profession will have no problem ramping this up and over the max recommended daily dose.

imo, It seems to me that rather than add more drugs into this cocktail one option may be, no more tapering, try to hold the prop at 160 x3 and try an updose on one of the three major wdl players of olanz, effex or remeron.  But here is the disgusting situation you are in ...which one.

My husband has never been stable since the beginning of his reductions last year!  He was in a terrible state and still is and he was desperate for relief from his symptoms.  We were advised by the PsychDoc that reducing would decrease his Akathesia etc  When you are desperate you will try anything even suicide!  He experienced a huge Panic Attack upon waking one morning and grab the bottle of Propranolol and swallowed a whole heap not intending to overdose but to relieve his symptoms, he collapsed and was out to it for four hours or more.  The next morning he was up early vacuuming, etc and was back to his old self.  Bright, bubbly, laughing and joking.  The PsychDoc said he has seen that happen, people overdose and come right.  But unfortunately the next day the symptoms came back with a vengenance!

Just now, Altostrata said:

Yes, that sounds like serotonin toxicity.

Do you think there may be a chance that he still has this with the Mirtazapine in the mix?

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Boomer, please read every paragraph of the drug interaction report. For example, it says omeprazole interferes with the absorption of ferrous fumerate. They probably should be taken at different times of day.

Thank you I will try swapping to different times of the day.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You can also see how the combination of Effexor and propanolol can cause depletion of essential electrolytes. And so forth.

I will have a good read of this.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

The more drugs your husband is taking, the more problems they cause in side effects and interactions.

That is why I am concerned about adding the Lamotrigine at 25mg.  But he is desperate and although the propranolol is providing him with some relief we are now having to increase it to get some benefit.  The ComPsycDoc wanted to add Benzodiazpine to the mix and I wouldn't agree.

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why is mirtazapine still in the mix?

I was keen to reduce this drug and I read in the interactions that it has a Major side affect.  The NeuroPsyDoc wants him off all drugs but we can't reduce them too quickly so trying pick the one that maybe causing the most problem is difficult.  Is it wise to reduce when Hubby experiencing Paralysing Panic Attacks?  I guess it would also need to be reduced a tiny bit by a tiny bit?

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What is the Effexor supposed to be doing?

I am not sure what you mean but Effexor was reintroduced beginning 2016 when admitted to hospital after he became Psychotic/aggitated etc after reducing the Effexor medication.  This is how this nightmare started.  NeuroPsychDoc angry that he was even put on an SSRI with having a Traumatic Brain Injury.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:13 PM, peng said:

Just to say, as almost a life long sufferer of reflux/gastritis, I would never dream of taking medication on waking.  

Many drugs when taken on an empty stomach give gastric trouble.

Best wishes both.

Thanks for information and best wishes.

• Administrator

Boomer, if I were you, I might start a very gradual decrease of mirtazapine at 10%, calculated on the last dose. You may need to make a liquid to taper it this gradually. I doubt it's doing any good and may be causing some mischief.

Here is our topic about tapering mirtazapine: Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

On 12/29/2016 at 8:27 PM, nz11 said:

okay after doing a search i found that remeron can be bought in 15mg per ml solution.

I was just surprised that you can dissolve 15 mg in just 1 ml but apparently you can.

okay in that case if you want 14.25 mg you need to take 0.95 ml.

You simply divide the desired mg dose by 15 and take that in mls.

nz11

note to myself:  2 dp is needed in my liquid spreadsheet calculator not one.

Can Mirtazapine be obtained in NZ in solution form nz11?

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be best if you contact a local pharmacy to find out this information.  Either that or contact the drug manufacturer.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

10 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It would be best if you contact a local pharmacy to find out this information.  Either that or contact the drug manufacturer.

okay thanks

On 9/22/2017 at 5:36 PM, Altostrata said:

Boomer, if I were you, I might start a very gradual decrease of mirtazapine at 10%, calculated on the last dose. You may need to make a liquid to taper it this gradually. I doubt it's doing any good and may be causing some mischief.

Here is our topic about tapering mirtazapine: Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Wow that looks so complicated making that liquid.  My gosh.  Is it safe to make this up as the Pharmacy told me it is illegal!  They don't sell liquid Mirtazapine in NZ but Pharmacutical Compounding Company can make it into smaller tabs.  I was just thinking about his symptoms and notice that there is a panic sound in his voice and seems aggitated/anxious.  When he doses up on the Propranolol this relaxes him but of course the Propranolol wears off and he becomes aggitated again!  Any more thoughts appreciated.  Thanks Anne

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Wow that looks so complicated making that liquid.  My gosh.  Is it safe to make this up as the Pharmacy told me it is illegal!

That's why this site exists.  Unfortunately the drug companies don't make it easy for us to get off these drugs.  Pristiq tablets are not supposed to be cut and are only available in 50mg & 100mg in Australia, yet there is a 25mg dose.  I get mine compounded and have been taking only capsules after getting under 50mg and have had no difficulties.

At least you are able to get them compounded.

Are you able to get SolTabs in New Zealand.

From Post #1 Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine):

Reduce by making a liquid with the "orally disintegrating" tablets
You may be able to dissolve the orally disintegrating tablets ("Soltabs") in water and use an oral syringe to take a measured dosage. I couldn't find any reports of doing this but, since the orally disintegrating tablet is designed to dissolve in saliva, it seems likely to work.

I would take the dosage immediately and discard the rest -- do not count on it keeping for any length of time. For instructions on how to make a liquid, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/ If you do this and it works, please let us know in this topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

21 hours ago, Boomer said:

Can Mirtazapine be obtained in NZ in solution form nz11?

Boomer if you go to the 'NZ members check in here ' thread I put up the contact for a compounding pharmacy given to me by Songbird in Christchurch who Songbird was using to get liquid formulations made. You could try to contact them and see what they say. 

Recovering paxil addict

1 hour ago, nz11 said:

Boomer if you go to the 'NZ members check in here ' thread I put up the contact for a compounding pharmacy given to me by Songbird in Christchurch who Songbird was using to get liquid formulations made. You could try to contact them and see what they say. 

Thanks NZ11 I have phoned them but unfortunately they do not make a liquid Mirtazapine!  They will make smaller tabs a minimum of 90 and I remember a figure of $180 but not sure if this was for more than 90!  There is a pharmacy in my area who says they have a very good pill cutter and will cut pills for me.  My head isn't in a good place so figuring out how to tackle this feels too big at the moment. 

Hi Boomer sorry to hear that you had no joy from Christchurch.

From my own limited experience doctors in nz have no idea about liquid drug or tapering that lasts longer than a month.

I think that's a good idea to get a  pharmacy that can cut the pills for you, at least that's  one less concern for you.

Recovering paxil addict

Can anyone tell me please - Hubby is having a Panic Attack one day - for the whole day and then the next day he is calm.  This is a pattern that has developed.  I am trying to figure out whether there is a psychological component in this?  I also wonder whether he has PTSD through the terrible experiences he has had and this has somehow become all mixed up.  I am finding it hard to believe that the symptoms (Severe Panic one day and calm the next) are so predictable!  Can anyone throw any light on this please?  Thank you.

Boomer is this something that is new? or something that has suddenly worsened?

Have you changed anything in the dosages or added something new? 

Are you alternating anything ...like the propranolol say? or taking addition amounts of something on an as needed basis say

I'm a bit confused as to what is the daily dose of propranolol. Is it 2,080mg ?

This is all to do with the drugs effects and fast tapering not the person. imo, And lets not forget the drug-drug interactions. 

Recovering paxil addict

3 hours ago, nz11 said:

Boomer is this something that is new? or something that has suddenly worsened?

Have you changed anything in the dosages or added something new? 

Are you alternating anything ...like the propranolol say? or taking addition amounts of something on an as needed basis say

I'm a bit confused as to what is the daily dose of propranolol. Is it 2,080mg ?

This is all to do with the drugs effects and fast tapering not the person. imo, And lets not forget the drug-drug interactions. 

There was Severe Akathesia, Seratonin Syndrome and now we are left with Panic Attacks that last all day!  We were alternating the Propranolol, taking additional amounts on  a  his bad day and hardly anything on his good day.  We have relooked at the Propranolol and starting on Friday we are now giving 280mg x 3 x per day. It seems so strange that he can be severe panic one day and without fail the next day calm.  

I have a couple of questions about making up liquid Mirtazapine.  I am a wee bit confused as to whether I can use the ordinary Mirtazapine tabs to make up a liquid.  I don't think we have Soltabs in New Zealand.    And do I just use tap water?    One other question is I have scales but how would I work out how to reduce the Mirtazapine 15mg tab by 10% by using the scales?  Thanks.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, Boomer said:

There is a pharmacy in my area who says they have a very good pill cutter and will cut pills for me.  My head isn't in a good place so figuring out how to tackle this feels too big at the moment. 

Is this no longer an option?

Recovering paxil addict

On 10/3/2017 at 8:49 AM, nz11 said:

Is this no longer an option?

I haven't taken the pill into the Pharmacy to see if they can cut it into small amounts as yet.  It will be pretty small amounts and might be difficult so was just putting the question out there regarding the liquid to weigh up options!