SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

CentJ: New to site- Prozac withdrawal, still taking wellbrutin

CentJ

I started Prozac in 2009 for anxiety and severe PMS , 10 mg at first but soon after went up to 20 mg.

I stopped briefly in 2012 but my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer so I reinstated .

My doctor prescribed wellbrutin when my mother died.

It's been 8 weeks since my last dose of Prozac ,At first I experienced lightheadedness and fatique, now I'm getting hyper and can't sleep.

My questions: I know it depends on the person but holy moly when does withdrawal end usually? I get scared that I'll never feel normal again. And has anyone experienced weight gain while on Prozac and when does that subside? So frustrating.

20 mg Prozac since 2010, stopped by tapering frequency only. Still taking wellbrutin 150 mg.

Hello CentJ. You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms , due to the abrupt halt of the drug. Did you taper in any way, or did you just stop?  We recommend the 10% taper method.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

As it's been 8 weeks , you might try reinstating a small amount , to help with withdrawal. After a period of stabilization , you could taper off slowly.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Here are some more links that will be helpful :

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Have a read , and and then come back with any further questions.

Welcome to S.A.

Ali

If you could add your drug history signature, that would be helpful.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't taper the amount but did reduce frequency of dosage gradually. I did that the last time I stopped under my DR's advice. I will contact her and explain my symptoms. Thank you

20 mg Prozac since 2010, stopped by tapering frequency only. Still taking wellbrutin 150 mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the articles they were helpful, I spoke to my dr , she prescribed effexor

She also said I'm not experiencing withdrawal, that what I was feeling was my underlying anxiety. Only after I left her office did I feel that she was wrong.i had worsening anxiety after stopping , worse than i had had pre-meds. She did suggest reinstating Prozac if I wasn't going start effexor so I did just that. It's been 3 days and I feel better emotionally but I'm extremely frustrated because I'm back where I started with the meds. Any opinions welcome.

• Moderator Emeritus

CentJ: Good for you for checking out how you felt about the doctor's recommendations and doing what felt best for you! It does feel frustrating to be back at "square one" but you will get to the end.

What dose of Prozac are you taking now?
Your signature indicates that you're taking 150 mg Wellbutrin. Is that still true?

Ali suggested reading the thread about reinstating. If you haven't read it, I strongly encourage you to do so. Come back here and ask questions

As it's been 8 weeks , you might try reinstating a small amount , to help with withdrawal. After a period of stabilization , you could taper off slowly.
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks, yes I did read about reinstating . when I decided to get back on it was late at night I was depressed and anxious about being more depressed so I didn't want to wait to get in touch my doctor at the time to ask for a smaller dose so I started the 20 mg of Prozac. Yes I'm still taking 150 mg of wellbutrin. I'm going to call her and say I have reservations about effexor and of I could try tapering Prozac.

CentJ, Seeing you have a large amount of communication on this website I am sending this message.

As I continue to taper off or to a lower dose of effexor can you please suggest 1-2 things I can do to join this community in order to find support and help others.  Thanks, JohnP/Atlanta

• Moderator Emeritus

CentJ, Seeing you have a large amount of communication on this website I am sending this message.

As I continue to taper off or to a lower dose of effexor can you please suggest 1-2 things I can do to join this community in order to find support and help others.  Thanks, JohnP/Atlanta

JohnP - welcome to SA! I'm glad to hear that you're tapering off Effexor. It is a troublesome little devil to discontinue in any other way

Would you start a topic for yourself in the Introductions Forum? We're happy to answer your questions and it's better for you to have your own thread for that. When you create the thread title please include your name, as CentJ has done? 

Some suggestions about starting your intro thread: Please start a topic about yourself

The Introductions and Updates forum page, click the black "Start New Topic" button.

See you in your own thread soon.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet