SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

BAT: Is it anxiety or withdrawal?

I have been on and off celexa, paxil, zoloft, lexapro, xanax and metroplol (beta blocker). It all started my mom passed away May 2014 then 2 weeks later my dad went unresponsive in front of me (thought he had passed - he ended passing 4 weeks later). I panicked and ended up in the hospital with a bunch of tests being done which came back fine. A week later I had a follow up with my Dr from my hospital visit. I told him I was feeling a little sad (probably was normal after what I had just gone through). That's when the medicines started.

I was on them from June 2014-December 2014. Had side effects with all of them. 2 1/2 months after I went off I started feeling down and stomach issues, Dr put me on Xanax. After a week of that my heart started racing. Then back on lexapro. That's when my sleep got all messed up! I was literally not sleeping for days. I stopped lexapro after a week. Had to take a leave from work.

In May 2015 went on ambien and back on antidepressant. That's when inner shakiness/vibrations started (still have to this day). Stopped medicine in July 2015. Sleep was on and off still. Almost 3 months (Oct 2015) later started having stomach issues and back on zoloft. Took that until Dec 2015. Was feeling OK for almost 3 months (tolerable) then 3 months later March 2016 started having panic, panic attacks bad, head and vision issues, jaw clenching.

On leave again from work. It's been hard to leave the house. Was panicking at the store, shower, talking to people. Didn't want to be by myself. My Dr. Keeps telling me it's my anxiety coming back. Why is it each time I have come off around the same time about 2 1/2 months off I get worse. Is it a relapse or withdrawal? My chiropractor is saying it's adrenal fatigue she is more holistic. I don't know what to do..

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

May 2017 feeling horrible and more intense symptoms.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BAT

• apace41

• ChessieCat

• Rosetta

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BAT. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's totally understandable that you would be grieving the loss of your parents, and you should not have been medicated as a result. It's normal grief, in reaction to losing your parents.  It sounds like it was the beginning of your introduction to medications. 

The reason you get worse each time, after 2 ,1/2 months is probably withdrawal syndrome.  Did you have any prior issues ?

Did you quit Zoloft, in December 2015 ?

You started having withdrawal symptoms in March , 2016 ?

So, It's been 4 1/2 months ? Off all medication ?

It would be great if you could add your drug & withdrawal history . It will help us to offer more concise advice.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Please have a read of these links . They will help to explain what is going on :

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Brain Remodelling

This is your introduction thread to journal and ask questions. Please come back with any that you might have.

Welcome to S.A.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thank you for your reply. I stopped zoloft December 12, 2015. I was doing OK January and February (tolerable). Then the first week of March panic and panic attacks started. I was pretty much in the house the whole month. I was panicking everywhere. It like changed overnight. I went from going to the store to having a panic attack at the store. Going to my kids sporting events to having panic attacks there even taking a shower and having a hard time socializing with me people. This is totally the opposite of the person I am! I went to go see my Dr March 21 and she said it's my anxiety manifesting in different ways. I did go back on zoloft for 1 week but I just did not feel right so stopped March 25th. Since then I have taken Ambien once and Xanax 3 times. Right now I'm on this herbal tincture from my chiropractor. My sleep was all over the place again the last month and when I don't sleep everything is worse! I was not like this b4 all these medications. Don't feel like doing anything either. Some times I wonder if this is all in my head and I do need to be on medicine. My biggest fear is dying and wonder if that did something to me after my parents. I'm so confused on what to do. I'm on a leave again from work.. any suggestions would be great! I will put my medication history in the link that is above.

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

I'm trying to find where to put my withdrawal history in my signature and having a hard time.

• Moderator Emeritus

BAT,

• Go to the upper right and click on your screen name
  • When you see the drop down menu go to "My Settings"
  • In the left hand margin you will see "Signature"

I agree with AliG that this sounds very much like withdrawal syndrome.

Read this for more information  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6888-is-it-withdrawal-or-relapse-or-something-else/

As AliG said once you have had some time to read and digest come back and ask additional questions.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

How do your really know though? I thought is was at the beginning but as time goes by I start to doubt it. Especially when my Dr. Keeps telling me it's my anxiety. It all happened around the same time my parents passing and going on medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

First off, BAT, nobody can give you any guarantees about anything.  What I will tell you is that people on this board know FAR more about these drugs and how they affect people, especially in withdrawal, than the vast majority of doctors so I would take your doctor's assessment of the situation with a grain of salt.  Based on the history you provided, you had normal and appropriate situational distress over the loss of both your parents in a short period of time.  It does not seem that any of this was out of the ordinary prior to the time you started taking the meds.  It seems like they never really agreed with you in the first place.

The timing of your high anxiety being 2.5 months after getting of the meds each time suggests strongly that it is a withdrawal reaction rather than some underlying condition.  You had no underlying condition.  You were upset.

Nobody can tell you for sure but the doctors will ALWAYS tell you it's an underlying condition.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

So withdrawal symptoms can start that long after stopping medication?

• Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely.  Even longer in many cases.  In fact, 2.5 months seems to be a "sweet spot" with many members reporting "I felt great for 2.5 months before I got slammed."

Another reason it is likely withdrawal.  Why would it take exactly that amount of time for your "underlying condition" to resurface?

Andy+

I'm not saying I was feeling great those 2.5 months but tolerable and after the 2.5 months is when it got worse.

Is there anything I can do about it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you able to post your signature?  What level of the drug were you on?  Since you got off about 6 months ago and started w/d symptoms about 3 months ago, you are on the outside of the period of time we would typically suggest a reinstatement.  See the following. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/page-2

It is definitely a possibility though for you to try.  If you wanted to reinstate you would try using a small amount of the SSRI (you've been on several but most recently Zoloft).  The idea is to go back on the smallest amount of the med possible that will relieve most of the withdrawal symptoms and then do a slow, steady taper off that amount.

Without having all of your data in your signature it is hard to be more exact.

Best,

Andy

I did go back on zoloft March 21st for a week but didn't feel right so I got off on March 25th. I always felt like I shouldn't be on this medicines while taking them. Even the very first pill I took I was so scared I broke out with red spots on my arm.

I'm still trying to update my signature. Don't know why I'm having a hard time finding it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I did go back on zoloft March 21st for a week but didn't feel right so I got off on March 25th. I always felt like I shouldn't be on this medicines while taking them. Even the very first pill I took I was so scared I broke out with red spots on my arm.

I'm still trying to update my signature. Don't know why I'm having a hard time finding it.

Hard to say if you had a true "adverse reaction" to the medicine.  More likely you went back on at the full dose (whatever that is) and that your system was too sensitized to go back on that large a dose.  That's why we counsel reinstating (for those that do) at a very low dose to test how you respond and then titrating up to see if you can find the lowest point where it is effective for you.

Other than reinstating, the only things we really have to offer are taking magnesium and fish oil as they are generally helpful for many people

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/page-1

as well as learning self soothing tools, i.e., non-drug ways to cope to help you deal with the discomforts of withdrawal.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Beyond that it is really a matter of time and patience.

Best,

Andy

Thank you for all your replies. I was actually taking 12.5 mgs of Zoloft.

Did you go through this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you go through this?

I did not do a cold turkey.  I have been tapering off the medicine but have hit a rough patch and have been holding.

See my signature for more information.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I went cold turkey.  I am feeling similar to you. I am wondering if it is underlying or withdrawals. I am going to say a combination of  the new stresses of an uncomfortable family situation  coming up. A wedding (which  is great) . But  one person...ugh.   I have my psych appointment on the 16th.  So I am reading a lot and  drinking chamomile tea and taking my magnesium. 
I still have some valium.  I have taken 2mg.  It seems to have helped a little too.  The sore chest muscles need to ease up.  
I think we are riding out  something and not relapsing.  It seems to be  common  that  others hit a rough  patch about this time and  the withdrawals are still ongoing. 

Cold turkey 10mg Lexapro on 5th February 2016. 
Been taking it for GAD for 3 years. 
I had begun forgetting to take my dose and even forgetting if I had taken it. So I just stopped. 
Tried tapering off previously and was unsuccessful.

This this start a couple months after you stopped? What were you on?

Lexapro.  Yes about 2 and half months, the first time. I am at 4 months soon.  I have read elsewhere that  4 months is common too. 

It felt like I was failing and all the symptoms came back but not  all at once.  And somehow not quite as bad.  But it is enough to make me doubt that I can do this.  There is always going to be something happening.   I am liking  regaining  how I was before all the stuff happened. I am recognising things  about myself that  I had not seen for years.  I  hang onto this. 
I am not as bad tonight as I was last night.   I am saying out loud "This too shall pass".   The controlled breathing is something else I am concentrating on.  I have had some inbuprofen.  To help  with the sore muscles.  Also I am making a point of  getting some sun.  As right now everything in me is wanting me to hide.  Under the doona seems like a good idea. The out of control feeling is wanting to win.   I went and done a chore and finished it.  Amazingly the distraction and completion is another coping technique.  

I had begun forgetting to take my dose and even forgetting if I had taken it. So I just stopped. 

Hi Bat.  It sounds like you are having trouble wrapping your head around this which is understandable. How are you doing now ? How is your sleep ? 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

This is the beginning.  We have a little while. I am expecting  a rough ride at times.   We have been mending ourselves for a long time. We needed help and  the ssri's and ad's  helped us when we needed it to.   
Now we need to remind ourselves that  we are not alone in coming off this stuff.  So many others have  done it.  I have  been lurking for some time, I only posted tonight.  I saw  someone like me right now.  I needed you to know that  you are not alone. 

Bambi. Would you like to start an Introduction thread of your own ?  It would probably be a good idea , to do so as then we can answer you, individually. 

Bambi. Would you like to start an Introduction thread of your own ?  It would probably be a good idea , to do so as then we can answer you, individually. 

Nah.  Just  letting Bat know that  right now in this moment. They are not alone. 

Bambi - Sorry to hear that. Do you have any sleeping issues?

Alig- my sleep is horrible. I have taken Xanax last week and ambien this week. I even started sertraline yesterday because I was at a lost and my husband, sister and brother in law thought I should. I feel all my decisions are wrong. I tried to do hypnotherapy 2 two weeks ago and couldn't relax when she was trying the hypnosis and that's when my sleep messed up again. I'm so mad!

Bambi - how long were you on lexapro?

Don't want to take the sertraline so don't know if I'm going to continue.

Bambi - Sorry to hear that. Do you have any sleeping issues?

Yes, but I am recognising it happening this time and am trying to regulate myself to a more regular pattern.   It is a little hard as it is coming into winter here and the desire to stay snuggled up all day is strong.   

Bambi - how long were you on lexapro?

3 years. 

What do you do for your sleep?

Bambi. Thank you.

Bat . How much did you take ?  Is your signature up to date ?  If you could possibly update , it will help us to ascertain how to help.

Ali

.125 mg- .375 mg for 5 days .125-.375mg May 19-23 then 5 mg of ambien May 25-28. Sertraline .125mg May 28. I just don't know what to do anymore. If I could sleep I would feel better.

BAT.  I know  - sleep is the key .  It makes everything much better and more tolerable and the brain can settle , a little.    :) 

What can I do for my sleep? Also can I just stop sertraline after 1 day? Side effects are hard

• 2 months later...

** Moved from I want to get off prozac**

I have been on prozac liquid for 18 days (7 days at 5mg (1.25ml) then went up 0.25ml each day until I reached 10 MG (2.50ml) for 6 days. Don't have a good feeling about these medicines from past experience and everything I have read. Do I need to taper off or can I just quit?

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

** Moved from I want to get off prozac**

Hi BAT -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

You've had quite the ride on the SSRI rollercoaster since 2014.  I'm sorry that you were feeling so poorly that you started with Prozac a few weeks ago.  That was around July 20, right?

The symptoms you experienced that had you start up again with an SSRI  were probably the result of withdrawal from fast tapers. Here's what I see in your signature:

• December 2014 discontinued lexapro from 10 mg to 0 in 2 weeks; 3 months later in March 2015 reinstated 5 mg lexapro
  • May 2015 discontinued lexapro, started Paxil; July 2015 discontinued paxil; October 2015 started Zoloft 12.5 mg
  • December 2015 discontinued Zoloft; Jan & Feb 2016 tolerable symptoms; March 2016 horrible panic; July 2016 started Prozac.

Please read about withdrawal symptoms. You may discover that what you were feeling after your discontinuations was consistent with what others report as withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome  

The switches, sudden stops and fast tapers probably destabilized your CNS (central nervous system). The best thing to do now is to stabilize.

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.  

If I were you I'd stay on the 10 mg (2.5 ml) of Prozac for at least 6 months to stabilize. It's a relatively low dose; the start-up dose for adults is 10-20 mg. Only after a long period of stabilization -- no dose changes or drug switches --  *might* it be time to consider a slow taper -- making small dose reductions (10% or less) once per month or longer.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Thank you for creating a signature. Would you update it to show that you started Prozac in liquid formulation in July 2016 and that your current dose is 10 mg.

You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

Again, welcome. Please read the topics I've linked, particularly the ones about withdrawal syndrome and about keeping things slow, simple and stable.

Edited by ChessieCat

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet