BAT: Is it anxiety or withdrawal?

** Moved from I want to get off prozac**

Went off and had my first panic attack a month later.

This is a classic withdrawal symptom.

Dr. Said it was anxiety

The doctor is misinformed it was withdrawal symptoms.

Welcome BAT

Well done on putting up the drug signature. My thinking suddenly took a u-turn after i saw that. You have to taper alright.

BAT what are your current symptoms ?

How are you feeling. You certainly don't want to go higher.  And when it comes to benzos just say no!

So glad you found sa.

Edited by ChessieCat

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BAT

• apace41

• ChessieCat

• Rosetta

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also on Xanax for 2 months first for sleep and then I started getting bad panic attacks and that's why I went on prozac. I thought it was from Xanax but nobody believed me and said my anxiety was getting worse. Have not had Xanax for 10 days. I'm having a hard time going out, tightness in throat and chest, head and stomach issues. I'm now noticing every time I swallow and my ears crackle. So confused on what to do. My husband wants me to stay on the medicine.

Edited by ChessieCat

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

May 2017 feeling horrible and more intense symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw, BAT, it's so unfair that you got caught with this because of under- or mis-educated medical professionals.  The side effects information for Xanax include anxiety which is listed as "very common" (19.2% of people during clinical tests reporting it).

Did you taper the Xanax or go from your regular dose to none?

We have a members-only forum for for assistance with issues related to drugs like Xanax, i.e. benzos. It might make sense to start a topic for yourself there to get suggestions about next steps related to Xanax.

Edited by ChessieCat

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I pretty much went from my dose to nothing for Xanax.

Edited by ChessieCat

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

• 3 months later...

** Moved from (BAT) -  How do you know its withdrawal **

How do you really knew it's withdrawal, especially when it goes on for a while and people close to you and your doctor is saying it's not.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 months later...

I have been off antidepressants now for 7.5 months (since Sept 5) and off Xanax for 8.5 months (since July 29) (but have taken it 6 times since) once in August, twice in December, once in January, once in March and once in April. My question is I was having issues Oct, Nov, Dec and Jan but I was doing more then now. Since mid of Feb I feel worse and feel like I have more symptoms. How can it get worse in month 5-7?? I just don't know what to do. I got a prescription of Zoloft and don't know if I should go back on. I have anxiety/panic, agoraphobia, tightness in throat, ear issues, chest issues, headache, cold hands and feet, i sleep like 5 hours, inner vibrations, clenching off teeth, jaw and head tension, stomach/digestion issues, low stress tolerance, thing the worse (I might be missing something). What do I do, I'm so confused.. Is this really withdrawal, something else, or do I need medicine?

And increased heart rate.

Another issue I forgot shortness of breath.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

** Moved from (BAT) -  How do you know its withdrawal **

How do you really knew it's withdrawal, especially when it goes on for a while and people close to you and your doctor is saying it's not.

You have to trust us, we are the people who have swallowed this stuff and no doubt your doctor hasnt nor have your family members so who is going to know about withdrawal us or well meaning but ignorant others.

Suggest to your doctor next time you see him to take 100mg of zoloft for 6 weeks ...i bet he might be ignorant but hes not stupid and so will refuse the invitation...so what does that tell you then?

Make no mistake wdl is a very confusing time. However until you resolve and determine in your own mind what is the cause then you will be pushed about by every ignorant voice. This is a site full of people in your position who have been harmed by doctors in this way.

How can it get worse in month 5-7??

..... Is this really withdrawal, something else, or do I need medicine?

Yes things can worsen at 5-7 months. The fallout from these chemicals is delayed. 

And yes we are all telling you this is withdrawal its up to you to believe us or believe the nonsense your doctor is telling you.

Recovery from it for some takes years...im in my 7th yr of recovery. We are not talking months we are talking years! You may not have to wait years for recovery but if you keep resetting the benzo drug free day then it is not helping the cause.

yes incr heart rate breathlessness agorophobia are all wdl symptoms.

If i were you i would resolve to stay drug free. 

Spend time on this site getting informed. So you can decide with conviction for yourself what has happened there is copious amounts of info here to help you determine this.

Read up about non-drug coping options.

Be 'patient' and refuse to be  'a patient'.

Keep yourself free of any stress no matter how minimal.

As Alto says take care of yourself as one would for someone who has been in an accident.

This might come as a surprise but the so called medicines  your doctor has been giving you are not safe.

They are very dangerous chemicals brought to market under fraudulent means with the truth hidden. Whatever it takes to get market approval, no expense spared has been the agenda, not the wellbeing of  vulnerable people or honesty.

It gets better in time.

nz11

Be patient not a patient.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I just don't understand how someone can have so many symptoms and as time goes on instead of scratching any off my list I keep adding. Some symptoms have been here a long time. I can't believe I was doing more in the earlier months off, now I'm not. Very discouraging. I have a lot of panic for doing stuff that I know doesn't scare me. I'm worried what if I'm making myself Worse by not doing much.

Does anyone recommend EFT?

Traumatic events wouldn't be the cause of whats.going on?

NZ11 - How did you know for sure it was withdrawal, especially going on for 7 years?

All non-drug techniques are rec to survive wdl.

So if tapping helps then go for it.

Are you reading any of the links that have been given to you?

Dr BAT Im not answering silly questions

Look if you think withdrawal only goes for 5 months and drugs are the answer to your issues and current distress then fine be my guest.

Your doctor will have no trouble giving you whatever drug is currently paying the best prescribing kickback, no clinical assessment nor diagnosis nor informed consent obtained. If you complain of adverse effects it will be a 'tell someone who cares ' approach from the doctor. Then the name calling will start along with the cocktails.

If you think the fact that i was left unemployed and unemployable for nearly 6 years wasnt due to quitting an ssri and suffered terribly but rather was due to the fact that one day when i was  4 my dad sent me to kindy wearing my sisters undies then you would probably make a great psychiatrist.

Recovering paxil addict

Nz11 - sorry if I asked a wrong or silly question. I know this is extremely hard to go through and I can't help but get confused at times when time goes on and I don't feel better. I thought maybe other people out there might get confused at times but maybe it's just be.

I thank you for your information and apologize again for my questions.

Hope for continue healing for you and others.

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

No worries Bat your questions arent silly and  it is confusing but we can only tell you its withdrawal so many times.

You are going to have to add patience to you coping toolbox as well as tapping and as many other non-drug helpful things that will fit into it.

Recovering paxil addict

Thank you ChessieCat.

Nz11 - sorry if I asked a wrong or silly question. I know this is extremely hard to go through and I can't help but get confused at times when time goes on and I don't feel better. I thought maybe other people out there might get confused at times but maybe it's just be.

I thank you for your information and apologize again for my questions.

Hope for continue healing for you and others.

Hi bat I also get confused and I'm not even off the poisonous drugs ,it can be very frustrating but I try my best to tell myself I didn't ask for this ,I'm a victim so I fight back everyday .

take care and peace to u 

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been off antidepressants and xanax for 8 months now but have taken xanax 8 times since stopping today being one of those days. It's like my body and mind cant handle stress and goes into very bad panic with a lot of intense symptoms that scare me so much. I feel worse now then the first few months I was off. Thinking of reinstating zoloft. Just wondering of anyone's thoughts or advice.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bat,

I've moved your new topic to your Intro because it is about your own situation and keeps your history in one place.

I'm asking the other mods what they think about whether you could try reinstating Zoloft and also what dose you could take as a test.

• Administrator

BAT, what is your daily symptom pattern now?

As you described it in April -- inner vibrations, clenching off teeth, jaw and head tension, stomach/digestion issues, low stress tolerance, etc. -- this sounds like withdrawal syndrome.

You had bad reactions to SSRIs. It sounds like your body does not get along with them. I am hesitant to suggest you try any reinstatement of that type of drug.

Did you try fish oil and magnesium?

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

At night, you might also try

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

L-glycine for sleep?

Taurine (L-taurine amino acid)

Taurine can be good to calm rapid heartbeat.

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

All the symptoms are the same but more intense especially the panic attacks and anxiety, others symptoms tightness of throat and muscles, pressure/tightness in head and ears, clogged ears, jumping muscles, chest tightness, out of breath. I have taken xanax 8 times since stopping end of July. The two most recent times taking it April 26 and May. 9 I have felt worse. That didn't happen the other times. I had taken it on March 18 and April 6 and actually had 14 days of less intense symptoms between March 19-April 16. So not sure if it's a coincidence, a wave, xanax or something else. But the panic was so bad I got so scared I took the xanax. I don't know what to do. I felt better the first 4 months off. Even though I had some symptoms but not as many as now or so intense. What do I do and why is it This bad now??

Also having crackling, popping noises in my ear and joints are cracking a lot. I know I'm sitting, laying around more.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone have or had the bad pressure, tightness, pain in their head, and pressure, noises, clogged ears. Then the jaw tightness, with clenching and the noises the jaw makes? If so, can you give advice for these as they are really bad.

Hey BAT,

I have not had the jaw tightness or clenching (well, maybe I've had very mild clenching here and there) but I definitely have had the head pressure, pain inside my brain, and tightness around head. I've also had the pressure and ringing in my ears. These are common WD symptoms. I don't have much advice except to wait it out as time passes. The head pressure and tightness actually has gone down for me after the first 6 months. I still have it come and go but not as frequent. The tinnitus is with me everyday but I think it is starting to lift a little. Hang in there.

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

I'm so bad 8.5 months of antidepressants it's scary. How can this be this long off? I don't know what to do.

BAT if it is any consolation to you I am 9 almost 10 months off and have a bunch of new symptoms that started at the 7 month mark. They are terrible and hard to handle but you will get past this. Having/getting new symptoms at this point in WD is normal! Keep chugging through! We are stronger than this!

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

Buspar 10 mg 2x daily started 2013 fluctuating amounts.

Tried cylexa 1 week at beginning of August 2016.

Tried wellbutrin 1 week after cylexa stopped both.

I have been off all meds for around 4- 5 years.

Dwell thank you for replying.

What symptoms are you experiencing?

In scared what if this is not withdrawal. I did have regular blood tests done a month ago and a doctor come to the house a month and half ago. I have a hard time leaving the house especially the last 5 months. I was doing more Oct-Dec. Now I feel so much worse and more things going on. I'm so tempted to go back on medicine. What if I made myself worse?? This is so horrible and hard. I'm in my bedroom all the time. I'm very scared.

I have had other tests done but in 2014 and 2015.

Currently :

Morning cortisol (I wake about 2 or 3 every morning)

Increased agitation

blurred vision

Light sensitivity

Head tension

Extreme fatigue

Loss of appetite

Anhedonia

Akathesia

Dp/Dr

Low stress tolerance

Teeth clenching

Chest pain/ shortness of breath

Extreme anxiety ( I have to have someone with me all the time)

And more that I can't think of right now.

I really feel that if my cortisol would regulate a lot of my symptoms would clear! I keep telling myself that the worse I feel, the closer I am to recovery. I was on paxil 20-10 mg for 3 years just for a small background and I am currently on b uspar which doesn't help as much as I'd like.

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

I think this is the scariest thing we can ever go through but it will be the most rewarding journey on the other end! We are stronger than these evil meds!

How long after stopping Paxil did these start?

Are you working? If not, is someone home with you? Do you have crying spells?

How long have you had these symptoms for? Have you had any go away? I know you said you got new ones 7 months off, is that last time you got a new symptom?

I am no longer working. My symptoms started about a week after I quit paxil and I had windows and waves until month 7. I had to go on disability around month 4 and I have since been terminated. I usually stay with my husband or if he has to work I stay with family. I've had hypochondriac symptoms early on to but those have gotten a little better. The last time I got symptoms was at the 7 month mark. I don't habe crying spells I think that's because of the anhedonia.

Since month 7 you haven't had a window, it's just been a big wave?

I was trying to go on disability but couldn't go to the phycologist appt so got denied. That's part of my problem is getting out of the house.

Month 8 has been the worst!

How does your husband or family feel about what's going?

My husband get frustrated at times, my other family I think they think it's me and I need treatment.