SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Having a very tough day today, I got 4 hours sleep, I have a really bad head ache with anxiety, I just feel really sick. I am really struggling today, I even told a colleague the extent of my discomfort, I usually just try to put on a brave face, Im am 14 months off effexor now, just trying to push myself on, I haven't slept well since monday, I didnt go to the swimming pool on tuesday and Wednesday, so I am hoping it might help me tonight.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dowdaller

• Shep

• AliG

• Flowers

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dowdaller.

Hang on in there buddy!! things will get better in a shortwhile, try to find positives and also hang on to the thoughts of the better days as you struggle through the not so good days. You are 14 months off and that is definitely an ACHIEVEMENT!!! Woohey go Dowdaller!!!

Peace,

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

Hi Dowdaller.

Hang on in there buddy!! things will get better in a shortwhile, try to find positives and also hang on to the thoughts of the better days as you struggle through the not so good days. You are 14 months off and that is definitely an ACHIEVEMENT!!! Woohey go Dowdaller!!!

Peace,

DC.

Thanks mate

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

You truly are an inspiration. Effexor withdrawal is the nastiest of nasties and you've dealt with it so bravely. I have the same drug history as you (Lexapro didnt work, was put on Effexor XR) and reading your thread has given me hope that I might feel better one day. I hope you keep seeing improvements and soon this will all be nothing more than a bad memory. :)

History:

Escitalopram 10mg Nov - Jan 2016 (switched to Effexor XR)

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

You truly are an inspiration. Effexor withdrawal is the nastiest of nasties and you've dealt with it so bravely. I have the same drug history as you (Lexapro didnt work, was put on Effexor XR) and reading your thread has given me hope that I might feel better one day. I hope you keep seeing improvements and soon this will all be nothing more than a bad memory. :)

Hey fuerza if we stick to the process we will get there, no doubt. I had a little window today, i ramped up my meditation practice a jon kabat zinn sitting meditation. I felt good after about an hour after doing it. My sleep still has been poor. But my outlook is positive. Keep going I am sending you good vibes. Thanks for the message. ;-)

hi dowdaller,

How long were you on olazapine, and at what dose? How was withdrawing from it, and how long did it take?

Thanks

jmncrr

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

hi dowdaller,

How long were you on olazapine, and at what dose? How was withdrawing from it, and how long did it take?

Thanks

jmncrr

Alright jmncrr , i was on it for about 6 months on 2,5mg to help me sleep, I went to my shrink and said I thought it was making me dopey in the morning. He said and I quote "there is only one way to find out" i stopped the next day. I had two okay days then hell was unleashed pains in my gut I had to go to A andE . They found nothing wrong with me I called the hospital, they said it was unlikely to be withdrawals because of the low dose. Then I realised they hadnt a clue. I had nine weeks of extreme stormach pains. I started feeling better in the tenth week. That was about 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I havnt posted since last week. I had an okay week. I have tried to meditate for 40 minutes per day. I can do this easier at work than at home which is ironic. I have been at home since friday and my nerves are shredded at this point. The kids are young and continously fight. My wife was under pressure too. My ocd has ramped which entails intrusive thoughts which the mindfulness helps with.

Im also a bit down. I got one of those clare weaks books. I took what i could from it and basically the message was keep going it will pass. Im a taking the green shakes every day as my appitite isnt great. Im trying to do some exercise. My sleep has been okay condidering.

I went to an AA meeting last week. There are people there with dual addictions. I dont know if will continue to.go. There was alot of crossover symptoms from the different addictions. I am going to the mindfulness class tonight.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update, dowdaller.

Sounds like the mindfulness is paying off, even with all of the struggles.

Just keep one foot in front of the other, and those windows will come. Considering the number of drugs you were on, you really are doing quite well to keep working, taking care of family (including young energetic kids), and going to mindfulness classes. 

Sending healing vibes your way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in, my last week and a half or so have been a smattering of horrid days and a few okay days. I dont feel great at the moment my sleep had improved over the last month since I tried to do 30 minutes exercise per day. I bought that book by Bayliss Fredericks its like a self help book through withdrawal. Its probably the most helpful book if have read on the topic.

I am having the usual life stressors I just have battened down the hatches and continued on as much as possible. I have continued with the green smoothies, my appetite comes and goes.

I have tried to cut out the self pity, and am battleing on through this crap.

All I can conclude is that the only way through this is time, and has someone said you don't fight this you survive it. So looking at the big picture I have been marginally better over the last month, and I am getting by, which is probably as much as I can ask.

Nice to hear of your little bit of progress.

You weaned off 375mg!  I look to see how you are doing because of that.  

I am at 150mg after being up to 225mg.

Also, I have a soft spot for Ireland - my wife's father (what a man) came from Wexford.

Best wishes.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

The pattern for me has remained the same a few brief windows and I feel like I am walking around in a seaof treacle, the rest of the time. My sleep has been hit and miss. My symptoms are my stomach is sick and my anxiety is ramped up. I have been repeating mantras to myself and am just surviving again, work has been a bit of a pain. I am still doing the mindfulness and I am remaining positive and talking myself up. i know this will pass, I promised myself to keep going hopefully these rebound symptoms are a sign of healing. The only way is straight through.....

My father in law was taken ill friday and my anxiety has been through the roof and it was high to start off. I am scared that i cant go on, eventhough the evidence suggests I can. The doubts have come back. This wave has been ******* hanging around a while now. Each day is like a marathon. With relief only coming in the late evening. My symtoms are sick stormach and needing to go to pee all the time. I am struggling I got to be brave for my kids I may need to go back to counselling or talk to my psychiatrist. Its tough but I am going to just take one day at a time. It cant last forever I know this, but its hard.

Hey dowdaller! I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law and the wave you're experiencing. Counselling sounds like a good idea. As peng said, you came down from 375mg and you've coped incredibly well. I'm also currently in a wave and my mantra is 'Tomorrow is another day'.

You probably know all about positive thinking, but sometimes it can be harder to convince yourself that everything will be okay some day. I found that keeping a diary helps me a a bit. I don't make long entries, I just mark my good and bad days in the calendar. 

Sending good thoughts your way!

History:

Effexor XR 37,5mg Jan - Feb 2016; 75mg Feb - April 2016; 37,5mg for one week in April, 75mg April-July 2016 (started tapering, took my last beads on Sept 11.)

The fluctuations happened because my GP mistakingly prescribed me the wrong dosage.

Oxazepam 2x10mg Dec 2015 - Jan 2016 (basically CT but no apparent symptoms); June 2016 - Feb 2017 (c/o to Valium)

Current:

Valdoxan 25mg Dec 2015 - Sept 2016. 12.4mg (Sept - Nov '16) -> 11.86mg (Nov '16) -> 10.75mg (Dec '16) -> 9.75mg (Jan '17) -> 8mg (March '17) -> 7mg (April '17) -> 4.5mg (May '17) -> 4mg (Jan '18) -> updosed to 4.5mg in the end of January

Valium (liquid form) 8.5mg Feb 2017. 7.6mg (June '17) -> 7.2mg (June '17) -> 6.8mg (July '17) -> 6.4 (Sept '17) -> 6.2 (March '18) -> 6 (April 7 '18) -> 5.8 (April 17 '18) -> 5.6 (April 26 '18) -> 5.4 (July 16 '18) -> 5.2 (March '20) -> 5 (March '20)

What to take away from all this: if you feel extremely sick only after a few doses of an AD, please tell your doctor and just stop. Adding medications is no bueno.

Hey dowdaller! I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law and the wave you're experiencing. Counselling sounds like a good idea. As peng said, you came down from 375mg and you've coped incredibly well. I'm also currently in a wave and my mantra is 'Tomorrow is another day'.

You probably know all about positive thinking, but sometimes it can be harder to convince yourself that everything will be okay some day. I found that keeping a diary helps me a a bit. I don't make long entries, I just mark my good and bad days in the calendar. 

Thanks f , whatever tommorow brings i will try to face it with courage. I wont stop fighting. Hugs to you too hope its not to cold in estonia. Its about -2 here. :o

• Moderator Emeritus

dowdaller -- I too am sorry to read about your father-in-law's detour into being ill.  You've been at this a while, and know tactics that can calm you.  Pull a few of those tricks out of your kit.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks f , whatever tommorow brings i will try to face it with courage. I wont stop fighting. Hugs to you too hope its not to cold in estonia. Its about -2 here. :o

Thank you! If it makes you feel any better, we usually get -20 degrees during winter months. Right now it's nice and rainy tho. I'm not very big on the cold times either. :D

History:

Current:

dowdaller -- I too am sorry to read about your father-in-law's detour into being ill.  You've been at this a while, and know tactics that can calm you.  Pull a few of those tricks out of your kit.

Aye scalls I know been over this path a few times now, horrible when you are in the eye of the tempest. Hold fast as old sea dog might say.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aye, if you've got sea legs, use 'em. ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

My father in law was taken ill friday and my anxiety has been through the roof and it was high to start off. I am scared that i cant go on, eventhough the evidence suggests I can. The doubts have come back. This wave has been ******* hanging around a while now. Each day is like a marathon. With relief only coming in the late evening. My symtoms are sick stormach and needing to go to pee all the time. I am struggling I got to be brave for my kids I may need to go back to counselling or talk to my psychiatrist. Its tough but I am going to just take one day at a time. It cant last forever I know this, but its hard.

Hi, dowdaller.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a sick loved one. That can send shock waves through the entire CNS.

I also have trouble with that "sick stomach" that comes from stress and worry. 

When you get "sick stomach" from stress and worry, try to stimulate your vagus nerve, which connects the gut to the brain. You've made some great progress with mindfulness and maybe you can find some other things that you may enjoy doing. Yoga, singing (even humming can help), deep breathing, etc. can help stimulate the vagus nerve. Or perhaps reach out to a counselor or a friend to talk to so you don't keep any scary thoughts inside. 

Here are some great ideas from Beyond Meds:

https://beyondmeds.com/tag/vagus-nerve/

Sending healing vibes to you and your father in law. I hope you both get some healing soon. 

Right so I made it into work, I slept 3 continuous hours and dozed for about 3 listening to meditations etc. I am on a half day from work as there is a man calling to the house regarding the internet. I am still quiet sick with nerves and am going for an assessment tomorrow with a charity that provides counselling I have used them before and they are good. I also called my psychiatrist I cant get an appointment with him till just before Christmas. So in short I am just hanging on, I told my boss about my issues she is very understanding and said she noticed nothing and has seen great improvements since I returned to work, 15 months tomorrow off effexor, and this has been the hardest I would say in 2 years, just holding on for dear life.

DD.  I hope the counselling has some good results for you as well as your psychiatrist if you trust him/ her. Sometimes , all you can do is keep hanging on.

I hope you can keep doing that.

My thoughts are with you.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

DD.  I hope the counselling has some good results for you as well as your psychiatrist if you trust him/ her. Sometimes , all you can do is keep hanging on.

I hope you can keep doing that.

My thoughts are with you.

Ali

I think that if he see how long I am off the meds he wont reinstate. I tapered under his supervision, although ridiculously fast. I just wantto be refered for some cbt etc. He is expensive 150 euro for half an hour. I trust his knowledge he got me off all the other shite.

Thanks for stopping by ali, I know time is the only real healer, I just need to put in the hard yards awful as they are.

DD. As long as you realize that you have to become your own health advocate and perhaps take the " doctors " word as being not necessarily educated or even informed. This experience has taught me to be very cynical of the " medical model " and to take my health into my own hands at all costs.

It is up to you . Always.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

DD. As long as you realize that you have to become your own health advocate and perhaps take the " doctors " word as being not necessarily educated or even informed. This experience has taught me to be very cynical of the " medical model " and to take my health into my own hands at all costs.

It is up to you . Always.

Ali

You are right Ali my dad says you gotta be your own doc. After all it was a gp that put me on those pills in the first place.

I went for my assessment for the counselling, it was hard, it was the first time I had opened up to a person in a long while, the woman doing the assessment was nice and easy to talk to, I told her my story and I cried, and I hugged her, it was very difficult, I am at work now and I feel anxious and drained, I havnt had any counselling in about a year and a half, I feel sad that I need it again, but if helps, why not, I have been allocated my old Councillor. He is very good and I am happy enough about that but he is only available in the morning, which I will have to work around.

• Moderator Emeritus

"But if it helps, why not" - very wise words, dowdaller.

Someone to really "hear" what we're saying can be the best medicine in the world. And a hug is always good, too. I'm glad you have someone you can trust. 

"But if it helps, why not" - very wise words, dowdaller.

Someone to really "hear" what we're saying can be the best medicine in the world. And a hug is always good, too. I'm glad you have someone you can trust.

Thanks shep it was hard to go over all the old ground, i am still a bit shook, hope you are still doing well,yes its always good to get a hug. What a roller coaster this life is, I know I will be okay once I settle down, my father in law has improved a little bit, so all in all not to bad.

Had a window yesterday afternoon, my father in laws condition has improved, although I am not as good today, I must be thankful for small mercies, having my first counselling session tommorow morning.

Congratulations on the window - signs of healing.  :)  How is your sleep now ?  I hope the counselling session goes well. Good luck with that.

Ali

On a good night ali maybe 6 to 7 continuous hours and a bad night maybe 3. And if I am lucky I might be able to doze listening to some meditation tracks. I am getting by tough but I am still in the game, thank god, hope you are settling down ali, you have been great with me , hang tough.

I had a few windows over the weekend which has been rare enough for me of late, both my in laws are in different hospitals, they are in their 70s and my wife is busy visiting them etc. My sleep is okay continuous sleep of maybe 5 hours and I may doze for 2 hours or so, I am getting the horrors in the mornings, but I seem to lift slightly as the day goes by. I feel quiet depressed just trying to do the basics exercise, eating and sticking to the routine.

It has been difficult but I think it will lift soon enough, I know the depression cant last forever the shortest day of the year is in 3 weeks, so there will be more light once that passes, so I just have to hang in there and I will get there with the help of god.

This week was a slight improvment on last week it wasnt as tough. My symtoms change so much, anxiety depression bad ocd intrusive thoughs. My only physical symptom is the morning horrors which is just anxiety nausea. Im gettin by its tough. But I am doing my best my concillor said I am too hard on myself. I got myself a sad light hope it will maybe make a wee difference and when we add up all the things it will help me to survive this battle. Im doing okay the shortest day is the 21st of dec. There is only daylight from 8 till about 4 if its not cloudy. I have always struggled at this time of the year. I am still going not each day is like a marathon. But I have managed to get this far. And I am a lot tougher than I was this time 3 years ago. So there hope as gandalf said, maybe a fools hope, but hope none the less.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Dowdaller.

I'm glad you're seeing a slight improvement. The sad light sounds like a great idea.

Please let us know how you do. Being tougher now than 3 years ago is an amazing accomplishment. 

Aye, this time 3 years ago I was on 375mg of effexor 1.5mg of xanex 2.5mgs of olanzapine and 4mg of zimmerphane per day. So now i dont feel great but at least I am not a walking zombie that rattles when he walks with all the pills inside him.

Yea I am doing well and I got to be thankfull for what I have done my ocd always tells me its not enough but in reality. I am doing well considering all the crap i was on

Hi, Dowdaller.

I'm glad you're seeing a slight improvement. The sad light sounds like a great idea.

Please let us know how you do. Being tougher now than 3 years ago is an amazing accomplishment.