SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

I am no Dr, but I would have done same as you, dowdaller - back in at 75mg and see how it goes.

Best wishes!

Didnt really feel like i had a choice he said the lower my mood dipped the more my ocd would increase. I need to be able to go to work. I was finding that tough.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dowdaller

• Shep

• AliG

• Flowers

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm 4 days in at 75 mg I am sick and struggling not as depressed but Ocd has ramped up, I know it will take a while to stabilise.

Hi, dowdaller.

I'm sorry you're struggling so much right now.

If you haven't read these already, please take a look at these links:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

75 mg may be too high a starting dose for a reinstatement, as your jump-off dose was 37.5 mg, as you mentioned in this post here. Because reinstatements can be very tricky especially over a year out, I'm asking the other mods to weigh in so we can get you the most information.

I hope you get some relief soon, as you have a very difficult journey going through withdrawal while also working and taking care of young children. And I know how hard you've been working on mindfulness, so I'm sure this was a difficult decision to make. 

Hi dowdaller

I can understand why you made this decision and hope all goes well.

The 75mgs may take a few days to get into your system. Are you able to keep a really comprehensive  diary of your symptoms in case you need to review.

Just a suggestion as someone on here recommended me to do it and I found it very helpful.

I really hope you have managed to have a nice Christmas Day. Happy Christmas!

xxxx Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi dowdaller

I can understand why you made this decision and hope all goes well.

The 75mgs may take a few days to get into your system. Are you able to keep a really comprehensive  diary of your symptoms in case you need to review.

Just a suggestion as someone on here recommended me to do it and I found it very helpful.

I really hope you have managed to have a nice Christmas Day. Happy Christmas!

xxxx Flowers

I was up at 6 30 with the kids I felt horrible not as physically sick but anxious not as depressed. Pains in my head and sick which I was expecting. I picked up after dinner. I'm okay now all things considered. I am expecting at least two tough weeks then hopefully some relief.

I am off all meds 16 months I had been on olanzapine, Effexor zanex and assorted sleeping meds for approx 2 years.

Weaned off 375 mg effexor over two years, I had previously come off xanax, rivotrill and olazapine. Reinstated 75mg of effexor on the 22/12/16

Ah yes kids! Bet they couldn't wait to get into their presents!!

Glad you had a reasonable day. We just have to fight through these horrible symptoms sometimes don't we?

Good luck. 

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Ah yes kids! Bet they couldn't wait to get into their presents!!

Glad you had a reasonable day. We just have to fight through these horrible symptoms sometimes don't we?

Good luck.

I will get by flowers thanks for the support. ☺

• Moderator Emeritus

Does the anxiety programme involve having to take an AD?

I know it is so hard to live with all these symptoms but I would be more scared about going back on anything now.

I don't know what to think flowers I feel pretty bad anyway so I don't really know what to do, I have been struggling for 16 weeks without let up, so I dunno,he says I was more stable on them, my mood wasn't as low.I just have to keep going my kids need me, I have to find a way to survive.

Just a thought, Dowdaller, the drinks you had back in September could have set the stage for this.

I'm not being judgmental, as alcohol was also a problem for me and possibly a reason for my benzo and z-drug use for so many years. It was a substitution. 

When I was active on a benzo withdrawal site, I saw a lot of people hit massive waves that could last a really long time just from drinking, sometimes just one or two drinks. Benzos and alcohol are very similar and they hit the same GABA receptors in the brain, so you may have triggered a massive benzo wave that manifested itself as anxiety and caused your OCD to become much worse.  

Sometimes knowing a trigger for symptoms can help.  We are always looking for the missing pieces during this nightmare. 

Please let us know how you're doing with your reinstatement. 

Does the anxiety programme involve having to take an AD?

I know it is so hard to live with all these symptoms but I would be more scared about going back on anything now.

I don't know what to think flowers I feel pretty bad anyway so I don't really know what to do, I have been struggling for 16 weeks without let up, so I dunno,he says I was more stable on them, my mood wasn't as low.I just have to keep going my kids need me, I have to find a way to survive.

Just a thought, Dowdaller, the drinks you had back in September could have set the stage for this.

I'm not being judgmental, as alcohol was also a problem for me and possibly a reason for my benzo and z-drug use for so many years. It was a substitution. 

When I was active on a benzo withdrawal site, I saw a lot of people hit massive waves that could last a really long time just from drinking, sometimes just one or two drinks. Benzos and alcohol are very similar and they hit the same GABA receptors in the brain, so you may have triggered a massive benzo wave that manifested itself as anxiety and caused your OCD to become much worse.  

Sometimes knowing a trigger for symptoms can help.  We are always looking for the missing pieces during this nightmare. 

Please let us know how you're doing with your reinstatement.

I got over Xmas okay, I am back at work today and feel terrible very anxious ocd through the roof, just putting one foot in front of the other.

• Moderator Emeritus

What do you think about a smaller reinstatement? I fear that 75 mg is way too high for your very sensitive nervous system. 

From your history, you went from being placed on an AD to needing "brakes" added. Brakes are drugs used to slow your CNS down because the AD is too activating.

I fear this may happen again. Once the CNS is destabilized from withdrawal, it becomes hyper-sensitive to everything, including drugs we previously tolerated at much higher doses.  Your CNS may overreact, making anxiety and OCD worse. Since this happened with alcohol, it's likely to happen with psychiatric drugs, as well. 

Please take a read of this thread, as it explains it fully:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

You're a survivor, Dowdaller. You're just going through a rough patch. 

I'm glad you got through Xmas and are back at work. 

What do you think about dropping the Effexor down to a lower dose? I would recommend even lower than the 37.5 mg that you jumped off of. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dowdaller, I'm pages behind - this will take a few posts, I think, but I enjoy engaging you, as you challenge and surprise me.

Its not who can hit the hardest its who can take the most, that succeeds.

Hm.  You're right - this was just after the "war of attrition" comment (this post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12171-dowdaller-hello/page-2#entry243558)

But I'd like to refine it, if I may.

"taking the most" is not standing there and taking a beating, nor is it running a gauntlet as an initiation - though - it may feel like that at times!

It's finding ways so that the beating doesn't hurt.  Or it doesn't damage.  That clear connection to the core of you that says:  I'm gonna do this.

This is resilience, not just "taking a beating."  The ability to bounce back.  A type of mental and emotional fitness.

I've been going to the gym, so I'll use a gym metaphor.  When I first started up, I could only go a short while on a cardio machine, or my muscles couldn't take it.  It could "crash" me for days.  But with focus, concentration, persistence and hard work - I can now get my heart rate up and hold it awhile.

Similarly, there's a mental and emotional resilience that you can build to help you in future. 

Look at what you've been through already - man, you are a survivor!  Sure, it's been tough, like wilderness living, or hauling 1000 rotting railroad ties with your bare hands, only it's mental, and emotional.

Even if you feel there's just a tiny bit of resilience, you can nurture this ability.  Keep challenging yourself mentally and emotionally.  Learn when to say no, when something compromises your integrity or path (this is a hard one, I still struggle with this!).  Balance your obligations with your desires.  Make time for both.  There are a number of balances  you can work:  work / relationships, creativity / rational thought, goal oriented vs. free thinking, sharing / time for solitude.  Find the balances that are most important, and work them.

It is a life's work, but a very, very rewarding one.

I have so much more to read, I didn't plan to write this much.  Onward (I'm still on page 2, sorry I'm so slow!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

I am now very sensitive on seasonal changes etc.

I don't know if anyone else has written about this, but in a number of websites and books I've read, this is easily addressed with a light box.  Some like the wakeup one, but it's not as bright as the 10,000 lux desktop lamp.  With a measured lux, you can monitor your doses, and choose the time of day to use it (Sometimes it's best right upon awaking, sometimes it's better to wait 90 minutes, or even 2 hours - depending on your circumstances and condition).  Sometimes 10 minutes a day is all you need.  Some people use it up to an hour - but it can be overdone.

Philips is one of the best brands out there, but read reviews to pick one.  It will be the best $100 you've ever spent, and it will last for a decade.

I got carried away and I had quiet a lot to drink. Now today i am wrecked with the blues and anxiety. 

-_- Sometimes, we just have to learn by doing.  I'm one of those.  But I'll bet it was strong enough that it will be easier next time to say no thanks mate, love you and will hang with you, but the beer is right out.  

Here's a cultural question for you.  Beer is important in your neighborhood.  Do they have quality near beer (alcohol free beer)?  I've heard of good ones, but have yet to taste one.  OH MY!  Guinness makes one (for the Muslim market in Indonesia) called Guinness Zero.  Maybe that can give you the feel of sharing a drink with the boys, but not punish you so much.  

It's not forever.  In a few years time, you will be able to enjoy a beer again.  You may moderate a little bit more carefully, but you'll be able to have the beer again.  (this discussion makes me want a Guinness, but - my moderation is this:  I love to taste beer.  My ideal beer mate would be a man who would give me a shot glass out of every beer he tried.  Sadly, the only one I know like this is 30 years my junior, and not interested in drinking with me!  And nobody sells you a piccolo beer!)

Then I woke up again at 4 sweating and anxious. I got my phone and put on the body scan recording and I managed to sleep till 7.

This is classic cortisol awakenings.  Cortisol (or adrenaline) is our fight-or-flight-or-freeze chemical, and in withdrawal it spikes quite nastily.   A normal cortisol cycle would wake you up in the morning, and wind you down at night, with a gentle lift around midday.  Nice, easy curves.  But in withdrawal, it spikes and you jolt out of bed, sweating, heart pounding, and it may even tie into what you were just dreaming.  Very alarming and disturbing!

But the good news is, you already did the right thing - put on the body scan and got another cycle of sleep.  Well done!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

I am feeling rough at the minute very sick, pain in the head etc, and anxious. I played football on monday for an hour and I think it has sent my cns into meltdown. Just putting the head down and trying to get through the day. Meditated for an hour earlier and it settled me down a wee bit.

Hello Dowdaller

Maybe your reinstatement dose is too high as suggested by Shep?

I overdid it physically a while ago and it made me feel just like you are. It was a wake up call that made me realise we have to get the right balance when exercising. 

I am sorry things are so tough. I am in a wave too so you are not alone. We just have to use all the tools we have to get through these days. It will pass. It has with me before, just wish it would hurry up!

xxx

Hello Dowdaller

Maybe your reinstatement dose is too high as suggested by Shep?

I overdid it physically a while ago and it made me feel just like you are. It was a wake up call that made me realise we have to get the right balance when exercising. 

I am sorry things are so tough. I am in a wave too so you are not alone. We just have to use all the tools we have to get through these days. It will pass. It has with me before, just wish it would hurry up!

xxx

Thanks flowers I just dont want to start messing around with beads etc, I know the dose was too high to reinstate I am going to give it a few days then I may do something. Thanks for all your input flowers, you have been great.

Lets keep our fingers crossed you start to feel better.

Keep posting!

xxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi dowdaller

In Ireland, can you get the original version of Effexor, i.e. not XR? That comes in a tablet formulation and might meet your preference for not dealing with beads while allowing for non-standard doses.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I know scally i was on it. Just going to sit tight on 75mg till i stabilise whenever that me be. I wasnt as sick today.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dowdaller - still reading -

you said:

But if I continue on with my routine my brain should adjust in time. 

I respect your doggedness in keeping to your routine.

However, in withdrawal, because of the way the drugs can rob the endocrine system, sometimes "pushing through" like you would if you were training for an athletic event - causes further destabilisation.

Your nutrition sounds pretty amazing, though I'd be careful with supplements if I were you.  Maca is good for adrenal crashes - but is it good for withdrawal? 

Any time you are taking more than one supplement, you need to add them one at a time, in case you do react.  Avoid compounds.  They will have seductive names like "brain food" or "dream ezy" or "calm the eff down" and will contain a kitchen sink of ingredients which you have no idea what is working and what is activating.

Sometimes rest is called for, sometimes challenge is called for.  It's the Frank Sinatra meditation:  Do-Be-Do-Be-Do.

The mastery comes in knowing when to give yourself a break and rest, and when to charge on through.  If you figure it out, let me know!   :lol:  There are many of us who are trying to walk the fine line between fitness, aging, wellness, and crashing waves.  

I hope you see the sun today!

Hey Dowdaller - still reading -

you said:

But if I continue on with my routine my brain should adjust in time. 

I respect your doggedness in keeping to your routine.

Thanks for the input, keep reading and give me your thoughts

However, in withdrawal, because of the way the drugs can rob the endocrine system, sometimes "pushing through" like you would if you were training for an athletic event - causes further destabilisation.

Your nutrition sounds pretty amazing, though I'd be careful with supplements if I were you.  Maca is good for adrenal crashes - but is it good for withdrawal? 

Any time you are taking more than one supplement, you need to add them one at a time, in case you do react.  Avoid compounds.  They will have seductive names like "brain food" or "dream ezy" or "calm the eff down" and will contain a kitchen sink of ingredients which you have no idea what is working and what is activating.

Sometimes rest is called for, sometimes challenge is called for.  It's the Frank Sinatra meditation:  Do-Be-Do-Be-Do.

The mastery comes in knowing when to give yourself a break and rest, and when to charge on through.  If you figure it out, let me know!   :lol:  There are many of us who are trying to walk the fine line between fitness, aging, wellness, and crashing waves.  

I hope you see the sun today!

Keep reading and give me more of your thoughts thanks for the input

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you're investigating the immediate release (original generation) Effexor.

You said you don't want to count beads. I understand -- I've counted more than 30,000 of annoying little suckers from Cymbalta capsules. When I opened my first one last April, I was overwhelmed thinking about dealing with them.  There were about 560 in a 60 mg capsule. I've developed a way of counting them that requires a lot less dexterity than other methods and uses only two inexpensive tools, < 10 USD/Euro.

If you're interested when you're ready to taper, let me know and I'll post the details.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

So I am back on 75mg two weeks my sleep has improved a little bit slept for 8 hours for the first time in about 6 months, my mood has improved my anxiety comes and goes my ocd is still going on in the background , I made it through christmas. It wasnt as bad as I had anticipated and even enjoyed some of it. I am back to work today and I didnt sleep great last night, my appetite has returned and I have put on a bit of weight that I have lost. I am still at counselling and I am planing on going back on the ocd programme one day a week.

• Moderator Emeritus

Peng said:  

Maybe stuff to do with genes and microsurgery/implants in the brain?

What could possibly go wrong?

I hold corporate development of "product" and "procedure" responsible for many many problems.

How much is going wrong with the drugs?

What could possibly go wrong with implants and microsurgery (the ice pick was a little brutal, sure, but surely they can make permanent changes that aren't mistakes?)  Surgery - like, being permanent and all.

Sorry, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.  I hope you don't mind a little rant here Dowdaller (I've just read up to your reinstatement).

I hope you see the sun today - remember - even when there's clouds - daylight is good for you.

a 15 minute walk at lunch time could be a world of good.

A bright sunny Queensland day = 10,000 lux.  An indoor room = 100 lux, at best.

A normal day outside = 5000 lux.  A cloudy day - can be as high as 3000 lux.  Whatever it is, even if it's only 1000 lux - it's still better than you get inside.  (your lamp is probably 10,000 lux)

So - when I say I hope you see the sun today - it is because it was so important in my own healing, and still important in my management of mood and sleep.

Maybe stuff to do with genes and microsurgery/implants in the brain?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dowdaller - it sounds like your reinstatement has gotten you back to bearable.

I'm hoping that your absence from here means you are out in the Real World, living Life, and not worrying about symptoms.

Let us know how you're going when you get a chance?

Hi everyone, I am getting back on track I am sleeping through the night and my appetite has returned my anxiety is not as bad, so all in all the last 2 weeks have not been as bad as the previous 6 weeks, I would liked to stay med free, but I cant take the rest of my life off waiting to get better, I will have another go some day , and i will use what I have learned in the previous attempt, thanks for anyone that commented on my thread you are a light in a sometimes dark place. regards DD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi dowdaller -- good to hear that you are feeling better since your reinstatement 2 weeks ago.

Would you add the date and dose of your Effexor reinstatement to your signature?

scallywag's Introduction

So glad that you are feeling the benefits of reinstating.

Hope you continue to feel better Dowdaller.

Best Wishes

Flowers xxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Dowdaller, I am so glad the reinstatement worked. I was really worried there. 

You know, it took me 30 years to get off these drugs, and I tried my best, especially early on. But it just wasn't going to happen until now. 

You are young and you can take another run at it later. It's really amazing that you've been able to survive all your did on that horrible drug cocktail you were on, all the while staying employed and caring for young children. That's very impressive. Please don't look at this as a setback, but just part of a journey that no one can predict. And you have reduced your drug burden substantially. So you're still making progress. 

Your time will come when it's best for you to get off. And you have a lot of skills now to help when the time comes. 

Sending healing vibes your way. Please let us know how you're doing. 

Sick again today ocd bad, I am back sleeping so not too bad on that front just waiting for the stablisation to occur getting good days and horrible no pattern emerging yet.

Sick again today ocd bad, I am back sleeping so not too bad on that front just waiting for the stablisation to occur getting good days and horrible no pattern emerging yet.

Hi DD

Sounds like the reinstatement might be working if you are getting some good days and sleep. Sorry you had a bad OCD day today.

Things will settle soon. I am praying that for myself!!

xxxx Flowers

Still got these flu symtoms, I am sleeping still getting 7 or so hours sleep unbroken, but my stormach is sick, sweats, shakes etc. So all in all I am just about getting by.

Did you have these symptoms before you reinstated DD?

Hadnt got the sweats my stomach was sick. The nervousness is about the same my sleep has improved.

I am in a bad wave right now and having the same plus being unable to sleep. I would so love a few hours!!

I think it is just signs that our CNS is still unstable and needs handling carefully. 

Maybe if your sleep is improving (and they say we heal when we sleep) that it won't be long before you see some lessening of symptoms.

Wishing you all the best DD.

Flowers xxx

Sick again today, have made it into work okay the day goes slow, I am 23 days back on meds now I am getting between 6 and 7 hours of unbroken sleep. I have a pain in my head and nausea in the morning and the horrors.

D. Do you think you are doing better ? I'm sorry you had to RI. Do you feel you had to go so high with your dose ? Do you feel you are sensitized in any way ?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

D. Do you think you are doing better ? I'm sorry you had to RI. Do you feel you had to go so high with your dose ? Do you feel you are sensitized in any way ?

I am sleeping more I feel different symptoms, I am not as down but more anxious I am sweating buckets and sick this week I was okay last week. I am sensitized , the minimum working dose on effexor is 150 mg my doc wanted to put me on that I resisted he also wanted to reintroduce olanzapine which I rejected, I am thinking maybe I should have done what he told me. Effexor doesnt work on mood for about 4 to 6 weeks so I am going to hang on till I pass that mark to see how I am fairing.