Nelly: coming off fluoxetine / Prozac

Nelly

Nelly, so sorry to read this post and how you are feeling.  Honestly reading it I felt that you were fairly lonely.  The withdrawal can make us unusually sad too, I know it did me. It can exaggerate any problems we had before withdrawal too.  I understand what you mean about wanting to do more and be involved but not being able to. I'm the same way.  I think reading this to me it sounds like it would be easier if you had people with you more often, though how to do that when withdrawal is so hard to handle I don't know. 

I wish you lived near me maybe we could have "quiet days out" with no major demand to interact a lot, like some kind of meet-up where we might do things like knit or watch a movie...I don't know if there is a group near you for withdrawal?  Might be an option to look at.  I value your honesty and it pains me that you feel so sad. I resonate with the feeling of struggling to have a happy life too.  Sometimes I can accept where my life is, and then I feel a little better but a lot of the time it just feels like an uphill battle and like I'm not getting enough done. And it's very lonely too. I think you are a lovely person and that you deserve a lot in life too.  And am not just saying that to try to make you feel better.

With care,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 8:16 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Nelly, so sorry to read this post and how you are feeling.  Honestly reading it I felt that you were fairly lonely.  The withdrawal can make us unusually sad too, I know it did me. It can exaggerate any problems we had before withdrawal too.  I understand what you mean about wanting to do more and be involved but not being able to. I'm the same way.  I think reading this to me it sounds like it would be easier if you had people with you more often, though how to do that when withdrawal is so hard to handle I don't know. 

I wish you lived near me maybe we could have "quiet days out" with no major demand to interact a lot, like some kind of meet-up where we might do things like knit or watch a movie...I don't know if there is a group near you for withdrawal?  Might be an option to look at.  I value your honesty and it pains me that you feel so sad. I resonate with the feeling of struggling to have a happy life too.  Sometimes I can accept where my life is, and then I feel a little better but a lot of the time it just feels like an uphill battle and like I'm not getting enough done. And it's very lonely too. I think you are a lovely person and that you deserve a lot in life too.  And am not just saying that to try to make you feel better.

With care,

US

Aw thank you for your lovely reply, you sound like you genuinely care and that means a lot, as I am sure you know. I keep on, on the same dose, and accept that this is where I am right now, without thinking of my next taper. 

Are you in the UK? You know when your brain is so tired, when even reading up on things is also too much at times....

I hope you are doing ok. 

There was a local group which I found details of with the help of this forum, but I don’t think it is still running. When I feel up to it, I will take another look for something local. For the first time in my life I have nice friends. Friends who don’t place demands on me and who are understanding, which means a lot to me. This has come about, since I moved to a new area, and was able to choose my friends and they chose me, which I see as a compliment, because they really are good people. But yes, still lonely. But accepting of it. This is how it is.

I haven’t visited this forum for a while and was very please to read your message. There is a FB group which is ok, but no always kind with their responses. 

I am going to try CBD oil again. I think I stopped because I was feeling ok, but realise that it was exactly that that may have been contributing to me feeling ok.

How are you doing? I hope you have some happiness. You sound lovely 😊 x

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 5:53 PM, Nelly said:

Aw thank you for your lovely reply, you sound like you genuinely care and that means a lot, as I am sure you know. I keep on, on the same dose, and accept that this is where I am right now, without thinking of my next taper. 

Are you in the UK? You know when your brain is so tired, when even reading up on things is also too much at times....

I hope you are doing ok. 

There was a local group which I found details of with the help of this forum, but I don’t think it is still running. When I feel up to it, I will take another look for something local. For the first time in my life I have nice friends. Friends who don’t place demands on me and who are understanding, which means a lot to me. This has come about, since I moved to a new area, and was able to choose my friends and they chose me, which I see as a compliment, because they really are good people. But yes, still lonely. But accepting of it. This is how it is.

I haven’t visited this forum for a while and was very please to read your message. There is a FB group which is ok, but no always kind with their responses. 

I am going to try CBD oil again. I think I stopped because I was feeling ok, but realise that it was exactly that that may have been contributing to me feeling ok.

How are you doing? I hope you have some happiness. You sound lovely 😊 x

Hi Nelly, always good to see you here. :)

I am not in the UK, unfortunately. I wish I were to be honest (well if it were not for the pandemic).  I have visited England before and I adored it there.  And I want to travel to other parts of the UK but of course because of the pandemic that isn't really doable at the moment.  I am in Canada.

I'm so glad you have nice friends now.   I related a lot to your earlier post about having to deal with a lot of drama and not enough love.  That feels like my life, though some of the drama abaited there always seems to be more coming down the road. 

As for how I'm doing I am not doing that great right now, there are a lot of problems in my life.  Since the pandemic started a number of people I knew have died, and now my family keeps running into problems.  One of the people who died was one of the men I mentioned a while back who wanted to date me.  The last thing he had said to me was to call him next time I was in town then the pandemic hit and he wound up in hospital (not for covid).  I knew he had health issues so it's not a total surprise that he passed on but it just feels like everything was left so up in the air and I didn't have a chance to say goodbye.

Also how does the CBD oil help if you don't mind me asking?  I can't recall if I asked before or not, forgive my poor memory I haven't been sleeping well lately.  I have a kind of constant feeling of low level anxiety, and while I know a lot of it is coming from current problems, I do wonder if there is some way to minimize it that I haven't tried.

Let me know how you are keeping,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 3 months later...

(Post moved from the Prozac bridge topic)

Hello

My initial prescription was for 150mg of venlafaxine XR. 

After an unsuccessful taper down to 6 mini tablets (75mg) , which was a monthly taper of  10%, (too big a taper I realise now, particularly when I approached the smaller doses), and after cutting a pill for the last two tapers (which I now know I shouldn’t have done), I increased back to 9 mini tablets (112.50mg) on 5th May 2020. I have remained on this dose since. Since this date I haven’t felt well; particularly with daily ringing in my head and quite horrible debilitating headaches. By the evening I can’t focus and my head continues to feel like it is full of bricks,  with no room for anymore. 

I continue to take quality magnesium glycerinate and omega 3 oil. Try to follow a healthy diet, avoid alcohol and walk daily. I do other self care things to comfort myself. I am not anxious or depressed. 

I cant seem to get rid of these symptoms. I try to avoid take no pain killers because I worry they they may not interact well with the venlafaxine. 

I have some questions that I hope someone may be able to help me with some answers.

Is it safe to take painkillers and for them not to add more WD symptoms to the process?

i am considering the following options in the hope that one will help ease my symptoms

1. Bridge to Prozac. I have taken Prozac years ago and had side effects being IBS and tiredness, but I have made many life style changes since then, and would like to give it a go. My understanding is that 150mg of venlafaxine is equalevent to 10mg of Prozac. I recall being on 20mg of Prozac in the past. 

2. Stay on my current dose of venlafaxine but crush and split the dose 12 hours apart. My thoughts behind this are that the XL is not lasting long enough and I am going through WD before my next dose is due, resulting in the head aches and ringing.

Having said that, having been on AD’s for most of my adult life (approx 38 years) I am thinking that the symptoms that I am suffering may be with me for the rest of my life and as a result of long term use. 

I can now accept that I may have to stay on my current dose or equalevant for a long time, but want to be able to ease the headaches, heavy head and ringing and tightness in my head, and so I am wondering if one of the options I mention would be worth trying.

thank you for reading. I haven’t been here for a while  as it can get too much for me. 

I need to update my signature, but have notes everywhere about my tapers that I don’t know what’s what soetimes. 

Finally, I do believe I will suffer with dementia in my older years. I sometimes feel like I am in the early stages of it now. Foggy head, poor memory, lack of ability to focus, but I have made lifestyle changes to help ensure I manage the symptoms as much as I possibly can. X

Edited by ChessieCat
added note about topic moved and added spacing

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus
52 minutes ago, Nelly said:

I try to avoid take no pain killers because I worry they they may not interact well with the venlafaxine. 

painkillers-in-withdrawal-aspirin-ibuprofen-paracetamol-acetaminophen-naproxen-codeine

If you are concerned, instead of taking the suggested dose on the package (which for ibuprofen and paracetomel is usually 2 tablets) you could try taking 1 or if the tablets can be halved, take half a tablet.  This would just be to test to see how you respond.  If you find that you don't feel any worse then you could increase the dose.

2. Stay on my current dose of venlafaxine but crush and split the dose 12 hours apart. My thoughts behind this are that the XL is not lasting long enough and I am going through WD before my next dose is due, resulting in the head aches and ringing.

This is a possibility.  And something that could easily be proven/disproven.  And if it was me I would be trying this before switching to Prozac.  Venlafaxine is an SNRI, Prozac is an SSRI so you might end up getting withdrawal symptoms from the venlafaxine.

You would not have to crush the dose.  You are taking 9 mini tabs (112.50mg).  You could take 5 in the morning and then take the other 4 later in the day.  To move your dose it is better to do this gradually by taking the 2nd dose 1 hour later each day.  You might find that taking the 2nd dose 3 or 4 hours later is enough to eliminate interdose withdrawal (if that is happening).  If taking it part way through the day is not convenient, then continue moving it 1 hour each day but be aware of your sleep.  ADs can be activating and you don't want the 2nd dose to affect your sleep.  If this did happen you step back 1 hour.

You will need to keep notes on paper of your symptoms so that you can see how moving the dose affects your symptoms.

This is a suggested format.  You don't need to post them here unless you want to.  However if you move your dose and things change for the worse we would need to see the notes to assess the situation.

Keep Notes on Paper

Finally, I do believe I will suffer with dementia in my older years. I sometimes feel like I am in the early stages of it now. Foggy head, poor memory, lack of ability to focus

This is very common.  Many members post about this.  brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-concentration-cognitive-and-memory-problems

I will tell you what happened to me, which might help you to understand what affect these drugs have on our brain:

Note:  This happened 5 years ago.  I am now 63.

I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and for 2 weeks I experienced severe cog fog, and even walking took my whole concentration.  I joined SA but didn't updose as suggested because I was trying, through the brain fog, to learn about what was happening.  A couple of days after joining I got to the stage that I was unable to type.  Having been a typist for 40+ years I knew that something was really wrong.  I was very thankful for SA's suggestion.  I went and took extra Pristiq.  Astoundingly after only about 4 hours (not days) I was able to type again and the brain fog was lifting.  Because I had a benchmark I knew that it was because of the drug.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you so very much for your guidance, this is a great help. 

Re the “following”, do you mean for example if I take 5 at 9am, I should take 4 at 10am and then gradually one hour later every day and see if my symptoms ease? But avoid taking too late in the day. I am going to try this first. Thank you, I just needed someone who knows what it’s like, to guide me, and you have done this. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quotes

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes you understood it correctly.

It's best if you can preserve your sleep because once you start sleeping badly it can make you feel so much worse.  It can also make it hard to tell what is withdrawal and what is caused by lack of sleep.  And it might take some time for things to stabilise if/once this happens.

The idea is to spread the doses apart to try to improve symptoms (assuming that they are being caused by interdose withdrawal) but not cause sleep issues.  If you start to feel improvement you could stay on that dose schedule for 1 week and see how things go.  They might continue to improve.  Also if you start to feel improvement but still want to continue separating the dose times you could change to moving by 1/2 hour each day.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi ChessieCat 

I appeared to be experiencing severe inter dose withdrawal symptoms. I was taking the full dose of 9 mini pills at 9.15 am. I started splitting my dose on 5th Nov; taking 5 mini pills at 9.15am then 4 mini pills one hour later each day: tomorrow I will take 4 mini pills at 1.15pm. I can’t believe the improvement. My headaches have eased, I have more motivation, I just feel so much better, and my sleep has not been affected in a negative way, as a result of the change. My symptoms are minimal now. 

I am so thankful for your guidance, I just didn’t know what to do, and couldn’t have continued struggling the way I was for much longer.

I wonder at what time of day I should hold with the 4 mini pills?

thank you 🌺

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's fantastic news.  I am really pleased that it is helping.  And it's good that your sleep hasn't been disturbed.  Thank you for updating us about it.

7 hours ago, Nelly said:

I wonder at what time of day I should hold with the 4 mini pills?

When is the most suitable time for you to take the 2nd dose?  If it was me I'd been keeping it as close as possible to the time you are now taking it.  Why rock the boat?  But it is also important for you to make it a time that you can take it consistently.  You don't want to be missing a dose because of inconvenience.

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature too.  Thanks.

13 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

That's fantastic news.  I am really pleased that it is helping.  And it's good that your sleep hasn't been disturbed.  Thank you for updating us about it.

When is the most suitable time for you to take the 2nd dose?  If it was me I'd been keeping it as close as possible to the time you are now taking it.  Why rock the boat?  But it is also important for you to make it a time that you can take it consistently.  You don't want to be missing a dose because of inconvenience.

Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Thank you

Today I took it at 1.15pm, but I have experienced a slight head ache and ringing in my head and neck ache. It did make a difference just one hour later @ 10.15 am. Shall I take it then please? This won’t be too inconvenient for me to do. Thank you x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Could it be due to something else?  Could you have slept in a different position?

If you are going to go backwards you need to do it in reverse.

Is it possible to take the 1st dose 1 hour (or 2 hours) earlier in the morning?  If yes, move the second dose back first and then move the 1st dose back.

Edited by ChessieCat

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Could it be due to something else?  Could you have slept in a different position?

Is it possible to take the 1st dose 1 hour (or 2 hours) earlier in the morning?  If yes, move the second dose back first and then move the 1st dose back.

Hi

No It fells like WD symptoms. 
It would be difficult for me to take the first dose earlier in the morning, as I am not an early riser and take my thyroxine are 8.30am.

This morning I took the second dose at 10.15am,  one hour after the first dose. I think I have messed up 😞X

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/10/2020 at 4:42 AM, Nelly said:

Today I took it at 1.15pm,

5 minutes ago, Nelly said:

This morning I took the second dose at 10.15am

10 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

You've gone from taking it at 1.15m and brought it forward 3 hours.

Doing it in reverse means taking it 1 hour earlier each day.

7 minutes ago, Nelly said:

I think I have messed up

Now that it's at 10.15am I think it might be better to just keep taking it at that time.

Did you notice a difference when you first moved your dose to 10.15am.  Hopefully that will still help with the interdose withdrawal.  If it doesn't we might have to think of something else to help.  In preparation for this possibility, what is the earliest afternoon time that you would be able to take a dose.  I'm thinking that if the hour isn't enough, you might be able to take a tiny part of your dose later in the day, with the idea that it will give you a bit more drug but hopefully wouldn't affect your sleep.  Sleep preservation is very important.  The other option would be finding another time between 10.15 and 1.15 when you can take the 2nd dose.

BUT for now leave everything alone and let your brain get used to the new dosing times.  Keep some notes and we can reassess in a couple of weeks.

So your schedule is 8.30 thyroxine, 9.15/9.30 dose #1, 10.15 dose #2.

Thank you
I felt immediate relief when I initially moved the second dose to 10.15am 

i will leave it as it is, as you suggest, at 10.15am and hopefully things will improve Thank you x

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, Nelly said:

I felt immediate relief when I initially moved the second dose to 10.15am 

It could be that the drug wasn't quite covering the full 24 hour period.  Hopefully this will continue.

Hello

My symptoms are horrible; brain fog, head ache, ringing in head. Is there any other suggestion on how I can ease this please? I know I messed up, by not holding as soon as my symptoms eased, I don’t know what I was thinking, or hoping for.

I have continued to take 5 pills at 9.15am and 4 at 10.15am. Are you able to suggest anything else’s please?  If I am to take a pill at an alternative time, I could do this at any time. I set reminders on my phone. 

Thank you so much x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

I am also struggling emotionally at the moment, it is all taking its toll on me. I confided in someone that I git close to about trying to come off antidepressants, and whilst talking he referred to “my state of mind” and as I see it been judgmental of me. This has hit a nerve with me . I am starting to think that the medication has made me who I am and that it is not really me, if that makes sense. Of course these feelings will pass, bu oh my goodness, what a sentence we have been handed 😔 

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Is there anything else that happened (extra stress, physical exertion) or that you consumed (lots of caffeine, coffee, cola, energy drink, alcohol, MSG which is a neurotoxin) at around the same time that might have caused the worsening of symptoms?  Or anything you usually take or do (relaxation) that you stopped doing?

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before (lots of members I'm posting to).

I'm not sure of your age, but symptoms can worsen at particular times of your menstrual cycle.  If you are a bit older it might be related to menopausal symptoms.  It's important to try to look at everything that might have an effect and not just assume that because you have made a change related to your drug that it is definitely that.

I think at this time it would be better to continue taking your dose at the current times.  Hopefully things might improve over the next few days.  I suggest you keep notes on paper for yourself because it helps us to be more objective.  When we feel awful we don't always notice small improvements.

The fact that you felt improvement when you moved the dose forward seems to indicate that we were on the right track.

Please keep posting about how you are.  We can reassess mid-week which will be 1 week after going back to 10.15am I think.

Hi 

No, I have maintained my usual healthy diet, no alcohol, exercising, no menstrual cycle ( I am 56). Possibly menopausal. 

I have kept notes on how I have felt since I switched back to 10.15am with 5 pills on 10th Nov. Reading back on my notes, initially I wasn’t too bad. 

I took cider vinegar diluted with honey on 11th & 12th Nov, thinking it would help with head ache. I also placed a cold pack on my forehead. On 12th & 13th Nov I had minimal symptoms. 

On refection, someone I have got close to recently; I may have felt some emotional disturbance, and pressure to “be ok” , it could be this. As it’s today that I met him and I have had a wobble. I made the decision that he wasn’t right for me even as a friend. 

Thank you for helping me realise that other factors may be contributing to how I have felt. 

I will do as you suggest. I am going to persevere.  I feel understood and hopeful from having your guidance, it really does help. X

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

You're very welcome.  Please try to be patient.  Here's a reminder about non drug coping techniques.  See the links in this post:

Edited by ChessieCat

Hello

i wanted to let you know that today I have started to feel better. My headache has eased considerably. Still not where I would like to be but much better.  I have kept notes and have made no further changes. I will stay where I am now; 5 pills @ 9.15am & 4 pills @ 10.15am. 

I did half hour yoga last night and will do the same tonight. I have booked myself in for a massage on Saturday. 

Thank you for being there for me, I really do value your guidance x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus
13 minutes ago, Nelly said:

I have started to feel better.

That's good news.  Thank you for letting us know.

13 minutes ago, Nelly said:

I have booked myself in for a massage on Saturday. 

I suggest that you advise them that you do not want any massage techniques for detox or that is stimulating.

Thank you

i hope you are doing ok x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• 2 months later...

Hello

i am hoping for some further guidance please. I have made no changes to my meds, diet etc. I am feeling very tired, sleeping as soon as I finish work. Dry mouth, flu like symptoms, full aching head and depressed. If I was just depressed I would think that is wasn’t WD symptoms, but based on how I am feeling I think it is WD. Still taking 5 mini pills at 9.15am and 4 at 10.15am. Should I contemplate moving the 4 mini pills  to one hour later; to 11.15am. 
I am feeling like I don’t want to go on. There seems to be no end and no explanation as to why I am feeling this way 

thank you 🙏 

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

Hello

I have been reading up on my situation, and I think I am experiencing tolerance to VENSIR. I am not currently tapering, and have held on my current dose since May 2020. I have rarely felt well during this time. I have discovered thanks to your guidance that when my symptoms get so bad, if I move some of my tablets forward an hour it helps. I’m not sure where that leaves me with any future tapers because i am already in WD from tolerance? Does that make sense? X

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

Today I was late taking my VENSIR. I slept through my alarm reminder. I’m confised. 
From tomorrow, I will take all 9 mini pills at 10am and stick to the plan. I haven’t been able to stabilise, by splitting the dose, to help avoid inter dose/WD symptoms. I feel like I’m messing it up. 
I’m struggling. 

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• 1 month later...

Hello

I am hoping for some guidance as I suspect that I am suffering from inter dose on VENSIR XR

I seem to of been having WD symptoms continually for some time, and I am desperate to find a solution. I haven’t tapered since May 2020. Not a day goes by when I don’t suffer with headache, head feeling like it is full of bricks and ringing in my head/ears. 

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of switching to VENSIR IR  and take twice daily? Or perhaps an alternative option? I would be very grateful for some guidance with this thank you x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

7 minutes ago, Nelly said:

Hello

I am hoping for some guidance as I suspect that I am suffering from inter dose on VENSIR XR

I seem to of been having WD symptoms continually for some time, and I am desperate to find a solution. I haven’t tapered since May 2020. Not a day goes by when I don’t suffer with headache, head feeling like it is full of bricks and ringing in my head/ears. 

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of switching to VENSIR IR  and take twice daily? Or perhaps an alternative option? I would be very grateful for some guidance with this thank you x

Or should I request liquid form ? Thank you x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I have been successful in getting liquid venlafaxine

I am switching from vensir xr, which I have been crushing and weighing, and taking 12 hours apart, 56 mg each time, total daily 112 mg. 

I don't know how best to start the liquid doses. It is 75mg/5mg.

I know that 56 mg = 3.73ml 

I think I should switch gradually, by taking 3 quarter pill crushed, and a quarter liquid. Then half and half, then a quarter pill and 3 quarter liquid, to help with the transition, and attempt to reduce any negative affects of the change. But I am struggling to convert the doses.

Also, once converted to ml should I start by rounding the dose off to the nearest ml to make the calculations easier in the future. 

For example current dose 56mg = 3.73 ml, but take 4ml liquid as a starting point, then reduce by 0.1 of a dose when ready and thereafter? 

Or should I just make the switch with total dose and hope for the best? 

Thank you 

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• 9 months later...

Hello

My current daily dose of Morningside VENSIR XL is 100mg, tapered from 150mg over the past 2 years approx. I have tapered by crushing and weighing and taking 12 hours apart. 

Crushing & weighing is becoming a chore and its getting me down having to do this.

I want to switch to immediate release. I have spoken to the pharmacist here in the UK, who has informed me that IR doesnt come in 50mg or 100mg dosages. Nor are these dosages available by a different generic name. Apart from liquid, I dont know how to switch to make taking the drug less of a chore. Can someone help advise me with any suggestions please? Thank you x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/1/2022 at 9:05 PM, Nelly said:

I have spoken to the pharmacist here in the UK, who has informed me that IR doesnt come in 50mg or 100mg dosages.

Q:  What dose/s are available and in what form are they?

You might be able to combine different forms to get the dose you need in a way that is easier for you.

Once we know what you are able to obtain we will be better able to offer suggestions.

Edited by ChessieCat

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:45 AM, ChessieCat said:

Q:  What dose/s are available and in what form are they?

You might be able to combine different forms to get the dose you need in a way that is easier for you.

Once we know what you are able to obtain we will be better able to offer suggestions.

Hi @CheshireCat

I cant seem to find an alernative method/tablet. Even the surgery are struggling to come up with something. 

Current dose VENSIR Xl 100mg (capsules with mini tablets) if each mini tablet weighs 12.5 mg......which i am crushing and taking 50mg am & 50mg pm

I have just realised 8 x 12.5mg = 100mg 

I could take 8 mini tablets in the morning not crushed? Does that make sense? I know the change in the way i take the drug will likely affect me initially, with unwelcome symptoms, but at least i wont have to crush & weigh.

I am unwell at the moment with symptoms of fibromyalgia and arthritis  which is pending further investigation so i dont plan on tapering again for the forseeable future, and until i feel better. 

Do you think that is a reasonable plan? X

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Nelly said:

Hi @CheshireCat

I cant seem to find an alernative method/tablet. Even the surgery are struggling to come up with something. 

Current dose VENSIR Xl 100mg (capsules with mini tablets) if each mini tablet weighs 12.5 mg......which i am crushing and taking 50mg am & 50mg pm

I have just realised 8 x 12.5mg = 100mg 

I just want to make sure you know that the weight you are seeing on the scale does not equal the amount of active ingredient in that same amount. You stated, “each mini tablet weighs 12.5 mg”. In actuality, the amount of active ingredient in the mini-tab equals 12.5 mg (or mgai), however, it weighs much more than that on the scale. So, if your scale is showing “.050”, that is not the same as taking a 50mg dose of Venlafaxine.  I’m confused on whether or not you are taking a 50mg dose twice a day, or is it just powder that weighs .050 or 50mg on your scale. They are two different things.

1988-1996  Various AD’s, all classifications.  1996-2019  Effexor XR 37.5mg to 150mg. Jan 2017 onward, 37.5 mg.

2019  Apr 11 - July 24: Trials of Latuda then Rexulti. CT'd off per dr.  Jul 24: CT Effexor (per dr)  Sep 9-19: Viibryd, CT (per dr).  Sep 23-27: Trintellix. CT (per dr).  Sep 28 - Oct 24:  Prozac 10mg.  Oct 24:  Stop Prozac, began Pristiq 25mg->50->25mg.

2020  Feb 1: CT Pristiq. Feb 1: Reinstated Effexor XR (10 large beads) gradually increasing to 22 beads (15L+7M) or 9.072mgai on Mar, 2020.

2021  Started Jan w 21 beads (13L+8M) or 8.47mgai ended Dec: 17 beads (7L+9M+1S) or 6.19mgai. Severe COVID + TIA.

2022  Ended yr w 14 beads (3L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.5mgai. Major jaw injury during year + family tragedy.

2023  Jan: 13 beads (2L+5M+5S+1XS) or 4.2mgai; Feb: 12 beads (2L+4M+5S+1XS) or 3.9mgai; Mar: 11 beads (2L+4M+4S+1XS) or 3.6mgai, Apr: 10 beads (2L+3M+4S+1XS) or 3.3mgai; Jun: 9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 3mgai,

Current: July, 2023: Effexor XR -  9 beads (2L+3M+3S+1XS) or 2.7 mgai

Other current meds: Ambien 10mg 3.935mg , clonazepam .125mg .107mg, omeprazoleSynthroid, Premarin.  Supplements: D3, C, probiotic, K2-MK7, Mg Glycinate

15 hours ago, FindRest said:

I just want to make sure you know that the weight you are seeing on the scale does not equal the amount of active ingredient in that same amount. You stated, “each mini tablet weighs 12.5 mg”. In actuality, the amount of active ingredient in the mini-tab equals 12.5 mg (or mgai), however, it weighs much more than that on the scale. So, if your scale is showing “.050”, that is not the same as taking a 50mg dose of Venlafaxine.  I’m confused on whether or not you are taking a 50mg dose twice a day, or is it just powder that weighs .050 or 50mg on your scale. They are two different things.

Hi 

@FindRest

Thank you for your message.

I am taking a chrushed amount of 50mg twice per day, actual powder. I see what you are saying; the 50mg includes the coating of the tablet, and not the actual drug? So, It is likely that my daily dose of actual drug is varaiable, on a daily basis due to this. No wonder i dont feel well. 

So there is no way of knowing how much is the coating and how much is the drug. So it is difficult to calculate my current dose. 

I want to find an alternative way of taking the drug, that does not involve crushing and weighing. In the future i would like to continue with tapering as safely as possible. 

I have just weighed a few individual pills out of a capsule. Some weigh 12mg, 12.5mg, 13mg .......

Thank you x

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

@brassmonkey Would you might weighing in (ha ha) on this matter that is concerning @Nelly?  Thanks.