baffled: been off prozac 3 months feeling worse

baffled

im so pissed i was told that i would have no withdraw from prozac. yet here i am 3 months in and i feel worse than ever. I use to be an active person and now i can barely get up the stairs I'm so weak..when i try and talk to my friends first question i always get is why did you go off your prozac? And maybe you should try another anti depressant.. I am never going back on any of them i thing they are another way for big pharma to control us and get our money.. Anyways i did read a book called the mood cure by julia ross and have been taking supplements she recommends. Mostly it is the tryptophan that has helped me with my insomnia that i appreciate them most.

But its really scary to be a completely different person than i was a few months ago and no-one really understands.. they just say you probably have a serotonin deficiency and need to be on meds..And i want to say to them do you know what its like to go 7 years without being able to achieve an orgasim??

From what i can tell there is no real solution for what i am going thru.. or any kind of timeline.

2007 started 40 mg of prozac was on it for 7 years

may 2016 went off my prozac

tapered from 40-20 for 2 months 20-10 for a month then 10 for a month

now I'm taking omega 3 fish oil using magnesium spray

taking calcium lactate and alternating melatonin and tryptophan for help with falling asleep

its really scary to be a completely different person than i was a few months ago and no-one really understands..

we do...

they just say you probably have a serotonin deficiency and need to be on meds

we don't believe that anymore, that old tired red herring

do you know what its like to go 7 years without being able to achieve an orgasim??

yes we do, unfortunately

From what i can tell there is no real solution for what i am going thru.. or any kind of timeline.

yes there is (what to do); timeline, we prefer to leave that a bit fuzzy. Because it is different for everyone.

Hang in there, a moderator will help you figure it all out. You are in the right place and we can help.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

yeah my nerves are fried right now can barely handle anything except sitting in a chair watching tv. i just amazed at 3 months i progressively feel worse than i did at a month off the prozac..I thought i was fine. everyone i talk to had gone back on their meds?? thats why i have joined this website or whatever it is.. I know one person who has made it two years and she says she feels better... but that is longtime to wait

taking calcium lactate and alternating melatonin and tryptophan for help with falling asleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Baffled.  I've been where you are... twice.  The last time I spent a couple months doing nothing but laying on the couch, watching TV and ruminating over the same three things... You can actually the read my story of the 2nd time here: http://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/ 

It's not meant to scare you. It's to explain where I was and that I'm in a very different place now.  I'm now stable on 20 mg and holding.  The thing about withdrawal is that when we're in it our brains have a way of making us believe will always be in withdrawal, despite so much evidence to the contrary. I can't recommend enough that you follow the guidance offered on this website.  I'm attaching some links for you to check out, but also take some time to brows around. 

Tips for tapering prozac: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Threads about symptoms and selfcare: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

When you have time please write out your history with Prozac (and other psychotropics if there have been any), your current dosage, symptoms, and where you'd like to get. It'll help the moderates know how best to assist and guide you as well as others in this community. 

Welcome!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

2009 went on 40 mg of prozac for depression. On it 7 years. Tapered the best i could given the doctor i had who said there was no withdraw from prozac.That was 2016 march 9th. 

so im not interested in tapering as i have been completely off for almost 3 months. I just can't tell if its getting any better at the moment i feel worse than i did a month ago

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't realize you had tapered completely off.  There is definitely withdrawal with prozac.  I and many others can attest to that. Going from 40 mg to 0mg in 3 or 4 months is a very faster taper. Probably much too fast. I wish I could tell you that you're going to feel better soon, but the truth is it could get worse before it gets better.  I know you wrote that you swore off medication, but I think you should seriously consider reinstating a small amount, stabilizing, then tapering.  Here's a link to the thread that goes over reinstating.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

What was the schedule you used to taper? Do you have any Prozac left?

You'll get through this.  If feels like you wont, but you will. 

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, late to the party - welcome to SA, baffled!  I wish it were under better circumstances!

You are so not alone, and yes, you are in withdrawal from Prozac, as you already figured out. 

To better help you it would be great if you could fill out your signature block with your med history, including how you tapered and what dose you jumped from.  Include all meds you are currently on, OTC, Rx and otherwise.  

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

Your Intro is your place to ask questions, document your journey, give updates, etc.  By clicking "Follow" above, you will be notified when anyone responds to your thread.

We don't really know why it works this way though this video does a lovely job of explaining the Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

One of our members wrote this wonderful post on what's happening in the brain, why it seems to get worse after it seemed better.

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

We have no way of knowing how long withdrawal will last for you.  We do know for many that there seems to be bad waves that come up somewhere around 3,6,9,11 months...well, you get the idea, that it can be quite a rollercoaster ride.  This is why we encourage reinstatement when applicable.  You are on the cusp of it being late to do so, so you'll want to mull the possibility over.  It really is a harm reduction approach.  We are not pro-drug here, but we are pro-stabilization and slow tapering.  

When people come off their meds too fast, they jump off at a point where there is still a huge differential between the amount of healing the brain has done and the amount yet to be done, the up-regulation, "growing a new brain".... When people do a very slow taper, most of that healing is being done AS they reduce, so that when they jump off that last little bit, there's hardly anything left to be done.  AND, the person is comfortable while reducing, living life, being functional.  It may seem awful, going back on the poison and taking all that time to taper, but it's really about the quality of life. Some in withdrawal take years to finally recover, with the windows and waves along the way. 

This all depends heavily on how long you were on the meds, how high you went, how many stops/starts/changes along the way etc.  Long timers like me (20 years of ADs) will need to take it good and slow to allow the brain to get kick-started into healing.  Short-timers (months) may be able to get over it more quickly and get on with their lives.  But it's all very individual.

Prozac's long half-life and accumulation in the brain made it possible to come off and not feel bad up front, but once it's out of the system, that's where the differential shows up, the amount of healing that HAD been done while tapering vs the amount of healing yet to be done.

If you choose to ride this out, that is fine.  It will be like a roller coaster ride that you can't get off of.  There is nothing that can stop withdrawal or speed up recovery, no drugs or supplements to make it all better, other than a bit of the drug you are withdrawing from. Addax gave you the link about reinstating.

What you CAN do is learn about Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

People get really distressed about their withdrawal experience and increase their suffering by allowing secondary fear to develop.  It is important to employ self-care and nurturing to ease your way along, and to practice Acceptance.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3533-acceptance/

It can also help to support yourself by taking Omega-3 Fish Oil and Magnesium.

Please fill out your signature and read the links we have given you, and then come back here with questions!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

thanks for all the information i actually understand more now about the tapering problem. which makes sense why I'm having such a hard time. I didn't have much of a choice of how i tapered because my doc was from the county and they only would prescribe capsules in 10 mil so thats what i had to work with. i read about the liquid and if i had tablets i would of cut them up. Actually if i knew it was gonna be this crappy of a time i might of tried to work with the powder in the capsules.. I'm actually happy that i found this site but i feel like i got screwed by not having a real doctor that was committed to working with me instead of the paper pushing bureaucrat that i had. 

you have got me thinking about the reinstatement but i really don't know if i can realistically do it knowing what i know now

• Moderator Emeritus

You got screwed alright Baffled - we all did.  Just keep mulling things over and sounding things out here on your thread - you'll find your way again.  Knowing what I know now I'd go for reinstatement, but because it's so unpredictable it has to be a decision you come to yourself.

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

thanks karen i don't know if i might have some of my 10 mil capsules left but i wouldn't really know how to go about doing it with the powder it feels like with out some one to prescribe the right stuff I'm gonna get all mixed up again. at least this way i know what I'm doing i have nothing but the power of meditation instead of medication... I'm trying all the supplements now i was doing 5htp in morning and tryptophan at night but ran out of the 5htp but i might get some more as i think it could of been helping me with my energy during the day.. plus I'm doing fish oil and vitamin b complex.. plus i started seeing a homeopathic doc and she said my thyroid is messed up along with my pancreas and my adrenals. She put me on some herbs for those too.. its a lot to deal with besides i have chronic hepatitis c but haven't gotten approved for that medication yet.. my poor body its being put thru a lot right now..oh yeah and i forgot i was taking biodentical hormones.. and the doctor their said i wasn't in network anymore so the cut me off. so right now I'm weaning off testosterone and trying to find another doc for my progesterone so this is probably all making me feel terrible too

has anyone tried niacin

• Moderator Emeritus

has anyone tried niacin

Baffled,

Welcome to SA.  Like the others who have greeted you, I wish you didn't have to be here.  You will get through this but it will take some time and commitment to a process that includes treating yourself as carefully as possible and minimizing stress on your central nervous system which has been hit hard.

In response to your specific quoted question, see the attached thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/43-vitamin-b3-niacin-niacinamide/

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

thanks i found an old bottle i had of the niacin its 100 mil i did make me flush hot but I'm a weirdo cause i kinda liked it.. I think i liked the fact i felt like it gave me some energy which I'm lacking in.

i read somewhere about folic acid and chromium picolinate helping in this wd process so i started taking those too.. I can not tell if they are doing anything though

has anyone tried niacin

Baffled,

Welcome to SA.  Like the others who have greeted you, I wish you didn't have to be here.  You will get through this but it will take some time and commitment to a process that includes treating yourself as carefully as possible and minimizing stress on your central nervous system which has been hit hard.

In response to your specific quoted question, see the attached thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/43-vitamin-b3-niacin-niacinamide/

Best,

Andy

where do you get spray magnesium that sounds cool 

• Moderator Emeritus

You can get it online on Amazon.  It's a good means of application of magnesium.

A word of caution, Baffled.  It can be tempting to try to take many different supplements to help oneself through this process.  Some work for some people and not for others.  In fact, some can act in a paradoxical manner and create more problems than prior to their use.

One way to address this is to try anything new:

• in very small amounts to ensure no adverse reaction that is larger than one can handle
  • in isolation because if you try two things at once you will not know what is having the effect that you either want or don't want

Over a long period of time we have ascertained that many people do well with magnesium and fish oil (Omega 3 supplements).

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

You will find many anecdotal stories of things that helped/harmed other members.  They may well be the same things.  The only way to do this properly is carefully and slowly so that you can determine what helps/harms you in the process.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I hope you are not letting your anger get in the way of making a kind decision towards yourself.

You may have gotten the short end of the stick but that doesn't mean you have to poke yourself in the eye with it.

20+ years on ADs & benzos
2016 - finished 2 year benzo taper from 6mg Xanax to done

Jan   Started Effexor taper @ 300mg.  A mistake.  May - 37mg to 18mg too big of a drop -> Akathisia , June 6 re-instating 75mg Effexor with Prozac more Akathisia

June 24 holding 65mg Effexor + 2.5 mg Olanzapine - stabilized Aug  - discontinued olanzapine without issue

2017 - finished Effexor taper  2018 - drug free

2020 - few doses of SSRI -> Akathisia  Lamictal 200mg  
             Have added Lithium 900. Yes... I want to try everything.:rolleyes:

2023 - Lamictal tapered to 0mg. 

Drug free. B-complex, fish oil,

exercise.

your right about me being angry.. if i had a decent doctor i could of been more prepared..and i wouldn't be in this position now.  but now that i did a quick taper which was 4 months long now i realize this was probably not long enough..but I'm three months in with nothing and I'm prepared to go another 3 months and see if i can't treat this with diet, meditation, some supplements and exercise. exercise being the hardest because when i do go to the gym i have a hard time falling asleep and feel very fatigued..but I'm hoping that has got to subside with time and that I'm pretty well into this withdraw. 

oh plus I'm tapering biodentical hormone testosterone (cream) which i had been on for over 2 years. I'm 52. that could also be causing this fatigue but I'm still doing 3 days on 3 days off with that too

Hey baffled. I went cold turkey off an MAOI in Feb. of this year....felt completely fine, almost euphoric for a month, then completely crashed. I went from functioning to non-functioning. I am currently trying to reinstate on a small dose to see if I can stabilize. However, the most important thing that's helped me so far is changing how I view my symptoms; instead of allowing them to scare me and propell me into full blown daily panic attacks, I try to view them as withdrawal, and not really *me.* I think it's really important to "de-fuse" or seperate yourself from the scary thoughts and the withdrawal symptoms. Hope this helps!

Currently: 4G of Fish Oil (4 Capsules) w/ Vitamin E; Sam-E @ 400MG

May 1, 2016: CT from .5MG of Risperdal & 1MG of Clonapin 

Feb 1, 2016: CT from 75MG of Nardil (MAOI) - used for anxiety/panic/depression for 2+ years.

Prior to 2014: Tried several meds with varying success and generally for less than a year: Lexapro (some success, stopped working); Effexor (worked for a bit); Paxil (worked but lost my sex drive); Zoloft (again, sexual side effects); Cymbalta (didn't do much)

• 2 weeks later...

anyone out there know about trying to workout to deal with this depression?? Everything I've read says that working out can help with depression. Unfortunately when i workout i can't sleep and then the next day i feel terrible. So i don't think its very helpful..It feels good when i do it though..I am wondering if anyone else has this experience or is it just me?? trying to figure out what to do? any input would be helpful thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Baffled,

Working out is one of the great conundrums for many people in w/d.  It is proven to combat depression in double-blind testing and has a better track record that antidepressants in terms of patient response.  HOWEVER, for those of us in w/d, with a sensitized CNS, it can be very activating and can ramp up our symptoms for some period of time after working out.  For people who respond in that fashion, it is critical to "dial it back" and try to exercise in ways that does not create a lingering reaction.  I know that I am a good example.  I was always someone who loved to workout hard.  In w/d I have taken to doing a lot more walking than sprinting or even running and a lot more stretching and bodyweight work than weightlifting.

Bottom line -- listen to your body.  If it is telling you that hard workouts are not good for you, don't continue.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do any exercise.  Find something that is less activating to your CNS so you can derive the benefits of exercise without the negatives.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Working out and heavy exercise have always set me back in my recovery.  I have to take it easy and build up slowly. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

hi guys so I'm not crazy the working out isn't helping me in this withdrawal phase. even though its been 3 months now i am wondering if it goes back to normal.. so just keep the workouts light and don't go to hard? i will try that and see if it makes a difference in being able to sleep. because working out is the only thing i know to help reset our brains and body to homeostasis..I don't know any other way. I know its only been 3 months but i am really wanting to get back to what i was 7 years ago. because from what i can tell I am way more depressed than i was before i started taking the prozac. thanks for your input. if there is anyone out there that has gone back to doing the workouts  you use to do please give me a time frame. i know everyone is different but I'm just looking for some hope that things will eventually go back to normal.. or as normal to where i can stand to be in my body again.

• Moderator Emeritus

hi guys so I'm not crazy the working out isn't helping me in this withdrawal phase. even though its been 3 months now i am wondering if it goes back to normal.. so just keep the workouts light and don't go to hard? i will try that and see if it makes a difference in being able to sleep.

Not crazy.  You get the picture.

because working out is the only thing i know to help reset our brains and body to homeostasis.

TIME, TIME and more TIME

please give me a time frame. i know everyone is different but I'm just looking for some hope that things will eventually go back to normal.. or as normal to where i can stand to be in my body again.

You answered your own question.  Nobody can give you a time frame for all or any part of recovery.  Some will be quick, some will be long, most will fall in the middle.  It is, as near as I can tell, the classic "Bell Curve". 

I know you are frustrated.  There isn't a person on this board that's not frustrated by the time and suffering and angst associated with this process.  But, if I told you, "oh, you'll be fine in 4 months and 6 days" would that make you feel better when you stopped and thought about it and said, "hmmmm. There' s no way he can know that."

Best,

Andy

ok i hear you on the time frame.. maybe better questions is: Is there anyone out there that has actually returned to how there were before starting the meds. So not a time frame but hope that there are people out there that have made it thru to the other side. I need hope and encouragement to keep going. To know that there will be an end even if its 6 more months or a year. I just need to know it is possible because i don't hear a lot of success stories.. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I just need to know it is possible because i don't hear a lot of success stories.. 

Have you read the success stories on the site?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

I believe they are grossly underreported because people get better, move on and don't come back.  Nevertheless, there is enough there for you to gain comfort that people do, in fact, fully heal from this.

Best,

Andy

thanks for getting back to me i will check that link out.. Also i am gonna make a concerted effort to post periodically thru out this year and let people know if i do get better..Because we all need some hope here..3 months and counting anti depressant free

I just need to know it is possible because i don't hear a lot of success stories.. 

Have you read the success stories on the site?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/28-success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal/

I believe they are grossly underreported because people get better, move on and don't come back.  Nevertheless, there is enough there for you to gain comfort that people do, in fact, fully heal from this.

Best,

Andy

do we know for certain that they do get better, or do they go back on meds or maybe something worse...we don't really know for sure. I hope toGod they do get better but we don't know.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Not sure your current situation but I am 13 months off Prozac and still have a lot of weakness, muscle spasms, muscle rigidity and waves of darkness but....I am getting better.  Waves are not as long, windows can last weeks or longer, but it is better than last year.  It improves.  Anxiety and fear come and go as in withdrawal not a relapse of any old issue.  I was put on it for a situation depression and just never got off.  Had a lot of health issues as was convinced to stay on it that it wasn't the drug.  It was the drug.  Improvement is so much slower than I ever expected but it is improvement.  For me getting off is the best thing I have ever done.  Keep exercise rational.  I used to run half marathons and do 50 mile bike rides.  Not possible now with causing me major issues but again I am improving.  This year I have been able to hike and back pack up to 6-8 miles.  Then I get a wave and can barely mow my law.  It passes. I have learned to accept the wd issues and move on the best I can.  Serotonin plays a HUGE role in muscle control and contraction etc...  My body is taking a long time to adjust but it is adjusting.  I eat super clean, raw nuts and greens, fruits and fish.  Eggs occasionally and some soy products.  Rarely meat and chicken but vegetable proteins.  Don't give up if you didn't have major problems when you got put on it.  It will get better.  You will improve.  It can take so much longer than you may expect but you are going in the right direction.  You no longer putting this nasty crap in your body.  Good luck.  I really wish you the best.

Prozac 40mg for 20 years - Drug free as of May 2015 - Liquid micro-tapered for 18 months

Klonopin 2-7mg per day - 2011 - Oct 2014  Drug free now Liquid micro-tapered for 2 years.

Temazepam 2011 - 2012 Drug free C/T

Ativan intermittent 2012-2013 Drug free C/T

Ambien 2006 - 2013 - Drug free C/T

Withdrawal symptoms persist although I am off all medications. 

Windows and Waves - Life and Dysfunction

thank you getting started its the first time someone has told my story even though i am only 3 months into being completely drug free. it is really frustrating to try and talk to anyone.. even the best of friends they all tell me how there are so many better drugs and how happy they all are on a low dose of lexapro or celexa or whatever.. i feel as hard as this is Im glad that i am doing it, i was on 40 mil for 7 years and probably would of been on it for 20 too if i had listen to all the people in mylife. i think they just liked me lazy and kinda dopey i didn't cause any problems. Right now I'm angry and irritable.. i am finding it hard to be social as things get on my nerves easily and I've lost my sense of humor too. well i eat really clean and i take tryptophan to help with the serotonin I'm not getting..

I'm slowly trying to get back to exercising though..i have not gotten any windows yet which is a real drag its just been one long three month wave..ugg

so thanks for the hope i can use all the encouragement i can get right now

i saw an acupuncturist yesterday and he basically told me to finish off what had in supplements and not to buy anymore..i have been taking folic acid, omega3 fish oil, niacin, chromium pic collate, and tryptophan he said keep taking my vitamin D.. but basically i need to lay off all the supplements.. I'm gonna finish off what i have and give myself a break. settling in to this completely foreign state of uncomfortability..Because I'm getting just how weird this whole WD is?? And that i have to stop trying to have my old life back.. nothing is the same my sleep my workouts my ability to socialize.even my appetite and watching TV have changed..

one of the worst things that is happening to me right now is my inability to access any feelings of love or joy.. I can only feel sadness and anger and that is baffiling to me right now.. its like my heart has just been shut down?? anyone else feel like this?

• Moderator Emeritus

i saw an acupuncturist yesterday and he basically told me to finish off what had in supplements and not to buy anymore..i have been taking folic acid, omega3 fish oil, niacin, chromium pic collate, and tryptophan he said keep taking my vitamin D.. but basically i need to lay off all the supplements.. I'm gonna finish off what i have and give myself a break. settling in to this completely foreign state of uncomfortability..Because I'm getting just how weird this whole WD is?? And that i have to stop trying to have my old life back.. nothing is the same my sleep my workouts my ability to socialize.even my appetite and watching TV have changed..

baffled, I hope you'll consider stopping the supplements slowly. For example, you *could* cut any tablets in halves and quarters, shake out about 1/4 or 1/2 of the powder from capsules, etc., then taking 75%, then 50% daily and then to 25% if possible. It will probably be easier on your mind and body to adjust to gradual changes than abrupt ones.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet