baffled: been off prozac 3 months feeling worse

baffled

is it make anyone else depressed when trying to talk to a friend and they start telling you about how meds help so many people and that i probably just have a chemical imbalance and that i maybe should try and different kind of medication.. I know they are trying to help but it just makes me feel like i don't have anyone to talk to about what I'm going thru because i should get on a different medication?? And all my problems would go away..But i think oh then i will just be trapped on another kind of medication.

ugg

2007 started 40 mg of prozac was on it for 7 years

may 2016 went off my prozac

tapered from 40-20 for 2 months 20-10 for a month then 10 for a month

now I'm taking omega 3 fish oil using magnesium spray

taking calcium lactate and alternating melatonin and tryptophan for help with falling asleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah - it really is the last thing you need isn't it?  For that reason some of us don't mention our w/d journey's to people - it's just easier.  Because I've tended to be a rather vocal/honest person in the past, by the time I got to this w/d stage of my life I only had friends who accept me regardless of what I'm doing.  Honesty is certainly one way of finding out who your really supportive friends are...

And when you need a good dose of real support, you can just log on to SA. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

I need help I feel like i am losing my mind.. I haven't been able to sleep in about four days i was taking tryptophan but it stopped working but for the last week when i go to bed my legs get all crampy and keep moving around. I don't think i have restless leg syndrome..this has happened a couple times before since being in this withdrawal but only when i worked out.. Now its been happening every night and I've been resting for days. i don't know what to do if there is cream i could rub on them or is there some kind of minerals i am missing but i am gonna lose my  mind if i don't get some sleep. I can not function right  now.. someone must of gone thru this?? anyone please help

taking calcium lactate and alternating melatonin and tryptophan for help with falling asleep

• Moderator Emeritus

Baffled,

Lack of sleep is one of the most challenging symptoms.  As I am in a wave of no sleep I can totally empathize.  The best you can do is try to remain calm and not flip out about it.  Lack of sleep will adversely affect performance in a lot of ways after a while but, short of very, very long periods of time, will not make you sick. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/53-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6774-dealing-with-insomnia/

Finally, a very good analysis of the situation by our very own Altostrata as published in Beyondmeds (second half of the article addresses sleep and what is happening):

https://beyondmeds.com/2011/07/28/ssriprotractedwithdrawal/

If you are not already taking magnesium, that could help greatly with the cramping. 

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Baffled. I have had this and it's an unfortunate withdrawal symptom. It can make you a bit crazy , particularly combined with no sleep !  I have found magnesium spray helps ( even though it stings a little ).  Epsom salts baths ( magnesium ) , massage , hot shower or heat / cold packs . It does sound like RLS although it might be more chemical . I took something one night and it turned paradoxical , which made it all the worse which is why I stay drug free.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

im not sure how to post or where to post but I'm having terrible leg cramps when i sleep and its keeping me awake..plus in morning I'm so weak and legs are fatigued.. now i had a night where i took alieve and it helped me with the leg cramps which helped me fall asleep.. my friend also mentioned trying advil pm to sleep what are peoples experience with this..obviously its not something i want to take every night but i have to get some sleep and some relief

• Moderator Emeritus

my friend also mentioned trying advil pm to sleep what are peoples experience with this..obviously its not something i want to take every night but i have to get some sleep and some relief

Baffled,

See the following link on use of Benadryl (the active ingredient in Advil PM is the same as in Benadryl -- diphenhydramine hydrochloride):

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2352-benadryl-diphenhydramine-for-withdrawal-insomnia/

The potential problem is that it easily goes paradoxical and from inducing sleep to becoming excitatory and making things worse.  Some people do have success and many have tried it on the board with mixed success.

The Alleve worked because it help the spasms I assume?  If so, try the magnesium.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

i know i was on here last week complaining of these horrible leg cramps and how my legs were throbbing and kicking when i went to bed. which was keeping me from being able to sleep.. And how i could barely walk the next day because my muscles in my legs were so weak.. 

After a week i decide to try this supplement called calcium lactate and it helped so much with the leg excitability. now I'm not a doctor I'm just reporting what i experienced my sleep is still up and down but it helps that my legs are not keeping thrashing about all night..

ps i wish i could figure this website out and how i could change the subjects at the top i hope someone finds this useful

• Moderator Emeritus

Great news about your leg cramps! Keep us posted.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Not sure your current situation but I am 13 months off Prozac and still have a lot of weakness, muscle spasms, muscle rigidity and waves of darkness but....I am getting better.  Waves are not as long, windows can last weeks or longer, but it is better than last year.  It improves.  Anxiety and fear come and go as in withdrawal not a relapse of any old issue.  I was put on it for a situation depression and just never got off.  Had a lot of health issues as was convinced to stay on it that it wasn't the drug.  It was the drug.  Improvement is so much slower than I ever expected but it is improvement.  For me getting off is the best thing I have ever done.  Keep exercise rational.  I used to run half marathons and do 50 mile bike rides.  Not possible now with causing me major issues but again I am improving.  This year I have been able to hike and back pack up to 6-8 miles.  Then I get a wave and can barely mow my law.  It passes. I have learned to accept the wd issues and move on the best I can.  Serotonin plays a HUGE role in muscle control and contraction etc...  My body is taking a long time to adjust but it is adjusting.  I eat super clean, raw nuts and greens, fruits and fish.  Eggs occasionally and some soy products.  Rarely meat and chicken but vegetable proteins.  Don't give up if you didn't have major problems when you got put on it.  It will get better.  You will improve.  It can take so much longer than you may expect but you are going in the right direction.  You no longer putting this nasty crap in your body.  Good luck.  I really wish you the best.

Hi

just read your post. How low did you go on your Prozac taper before you jumped off please?

Currently on .6 and been tapering for 18 months.

Really helpful to find someone like you actually tapering from Prozac.

Did you experience, symptoms when tapering like muscle pain and spasms, surges of emotion, heat and sweats?

Reflex

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

Baffled -

I have been off Prozac for 9 months, next week will be 10 months.  I can understand and relate to your struggles.  I was on Prozac for 12 years and was basically forced off it when my body reacted to the different generic I was switched too.  When I first went off it I had tremors and bad nausea.  By the time I got to month 3 my symptoms took a turn for the worse.  It was awful.  I was not in a position to reinstate and I knew I had to deal with these awful withdrawal symptoms.  All I wanted was hope and a quick fix.  Well, I realized there wasn't a quick fix, but have seen bits and piece of hope.  I guess hope for me comes when I am having a window, but those have been short lived.  What I realize in dealing with withdrawal is it is time that is going to help, which isn't easy when you are feeling so bad. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

hi reflex,

i just took about 4 months to taper and i only went down to 10 because i didn't have a good doctor to help me. I was told that i wouldn't experience any issues from going off.. surprise surprise..And i hadn't found this website yet so i didnt know i could use my capsules and deal with the beads.  but both my mother and my sister were on prozac and they tapered with a doctor and they didn't seem to have any withdrawal symptoms at all..

I never asked them about tapering because i didn't think it was an issue because of what my doctor told me..

But it sounds like your doing it the right way.. by the time i found this website i was already three months completely off and could not bare to reinstate..

I wish we could all get together and start a lawsuit against these companies or doctors or someone to hold accountable it is not right that they get away with robbing people of their sanity and health..

By the time I got to month 3 my symptoms took a turn for the worse.  It was awful.  I was not in a position to reinstate and I knew I had to deal with these awful withdrawal symptoms.  All I wanted was hope and a quick fix.  Well, I realized there wasn't a quick fix, but have seen bits and piece of hope.  I guess hope for me comes when I am having a window, but those have been short lived.  What I realize in dealing with withdrawal is it is time that is going to help, which isn't easy when you are feeling so bad. 

o2bhappy,

i do relate the 3 month mark was terrible for me but now that your in 9 months is your health any better. Ive been afraid to workout as the last time i did i had leg cramps and didn't sleep for 5 days.. I get real nervous when i can't sleep, Im still alternatiting melatonin and tryptophan to sleep and it works most nights..which i am grateful for.. I think i had my first window since i started this journey i didn't think i was gonna get one.. I happened the other night and i realized as i looked around that maybe just maybe i was gonna be ok.. It is really hard to want to keep going when day after day for months i just couldn't see the point of life it felt so hard. I now have something to look forward to that i may have another window when the fog lifts and i felt that wonder and awe that i use to feel before i went on prozac.. And i realized that i couldn't really feel anything when i was on the prozac.. And that maybe now i might have a life once my health restores and i have energy to feel and be creative and have joy in music and people again..

I wish more windows for all of us.

baffled -

My health is getting better but it has been a very slow process.  I am still dealing with the nausea, internal shaking, uncontrollable crying, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia and my weirdest symptom a bad smell in my nose.  Not sleeping is not good.  Our bodies need sleep to heal.  I understand that it feels hard to keep going especially when you feel bad.  I have felt that way many times.  A couple of weeks ago I had a window and I didn't want it to end.  Of course after going to bed and waking up I was right back into the wave of feeling bad.  I was numb the whole time I was on Prozac and only realized it after coming off the medicine. 

We will get through this one day at a time.  I am here for you!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.