SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ CJAJ16: So scared and lost - Escitalopram withdrawal

CJAJ16

• Moderator Emeritus

What did your doctor say about the advisability of taking Valium while pregnant?

When we say a tiny amount, we mean a tiny amount -- 1 mg or less. Yes you would have to taper off it but safely tapering off 1 mg takes much less time than tapering off 10 mg or than waiting for your symptoms to resolve.

Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

So that would be effective enough to stop the anxiety?

Do you think the anxiety is because my brain is healing or just because it's the way I'm wired?

You can hear my story on the Let's Talk Withdrawal podcast. Its a global weekly podcast created by James Moore that interviews experts and others suffering from the awful effects of psychiatric medication. Here's how to listen...

If you have an iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with iTunes, this link will take you to the iTunes Store where you can subscribe so each new episode will download automatically...

https://goo.gl/Yz7Zmp

Or you can also listen and download each episode here on any device...

http://jfmoore.libsyn.com/

Started AD aged 14 (1997)

Stopped AD Escitralopram aged 33 (May 14th 2016) weaned down from 20mg to 1mg

10 months SSRI free since May 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Please reread your thread from the beginning and the links we've provided. Your answers are there. ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Hey CJAJ16,

I am just asking, but when did you start your taper off the 10mg when you stabilized for the 9 months? It would probably give the mods here a better timeline to have the start of that taper as well. It just sounds like you went from 10mg to 0 in the course of a year unless I am reading wrong.

And jumping off at 1mg of Lexapro which is a potent SSRI is probably the culprit of why you are feeling this way. Just trust the advice given here, you will get through this no matter what.

Paxil 20-30mgs since 2004.

Three previous withdrawal attempts 2008,2012 and 2015 all cold turkey.

Reinstated 10mg February 20th 2016

3/20/16-9mg 4/5/16-8mg 5/5/16-7mg 5/25/16-6mg 6/25/16-5mg 8/7/16-updose to 6mg 9/7/16 5.5mg 10/10/16-5mg 11/10/16-4.5mg

One thing that helps me is to see your withdrawal process as your own personal journey. Do not internalize someone else's withdrawal as your own. 

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."  - Maya Angelou

Scallywag- I don't think the answers are there, I thought after this long having stopped I'd feel better. I'm understand why I felt so anxious at the start of stopping the drugs but it's got worse.

That's left me thinking that this is the way I am, a person who needs AD to level out the anxiety problems.

You can hear my story on the Let's Talk Withdrawal podcast. Its a global weekly podcast created by James Moore that interviews experts and others suffering from the awful effects of psychiatric medication. Here's how to listen...

If you have an iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with iTunes, this link will take you to the iTunes Store where you can subscribe so each new episode will download automatically...

• Moderator Emeritus

CJ anxiety is a withdrawal symptom. Fast tapers and cold turkey stops create a destabilized CNS. Destabilization means that your symptoms are unpredictable -- no one can tell you when they'll weaken, worsen or fully resolve. We can only tell you that as your CNS recovers your symptoms are likely to diminish.

On the first page of this topic, SquirrellyGirl posted links to topics that could be helpful for you: Her post

Help me understand your reluctance to reinstate escitalopram and concurrent willingness to try Valium.

scallywag's Introduction

Because of what the Escitralopram did to me, I'm scared of it and the symptoms it'll create going back on it. With the Diazepam I can take it when in a high state of anxiety, not on a daily basis.

It's encouraging to know this could still be because I'm healing not because I'm completely broken

• Moderator Emeritus

The escitalopram didn't do this to you. Withdrawing from it quickly did this to you.

Please have a read of the Members only benzo forum. You'll find there are people who started taking a benzo on an as-needed basis who built tolerance and started daily doses then increasing the dose. 

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you I will take a look at the benzo forum, I know there's a high risk I could become addicted to it and cause myself further problems.

Since stopping completely I have taken it in two occasions when I became manic. Those are the times I've needed it, when I've been crawling the walls.

I respect what you are saying that it's the quick jump off 1mg that's caused all this but it's solely the drug alone that created the chemical changes in me to make my brain reliant on it.

Thank you all SO much for taking the time to read my post and reply. I'm so thankful to you all.

I have added my signature and details about the drugs I've been on. Have I added enough info?

I am so grateful to have found this site. I've been reading some of the links you have given me today. It does help to understand what the hell is happening to me. I'm very frightened. I've battled health anxiety for many many years and have had counselling to help me but I've always also been on an AD. I'm so afraid I won't be able to cope with my anxieties and continue to function and live my life without them knowing how awful I'm feeling right now.

I'm feeling so many physical symptoms and I'm finding it hard to rationalise them as being part of WD.

I'm currently signed off work for another week and a half having already been off work a week and a half. I don't want this to take my life over. How long does it take to feel better?

Thank you everyone X

I think most of us can relate to this "I'm feeling so many physical symptoms and I'm finding it hard to rationalise them as being part of WD."

And its the fear of these physical symptoms that generate a tough mental battle with ourselves.  This is certainly an on-going battle for me.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

BTW, are you living in Reading UK or Pennsylvania, USA?

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

BTW, are you living in Reading UK or Pennsylvania, USA?

I'm from Reading UK xx

This site has literally saved my life!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Scallywag- I don't think the answers are there, I thought after this long having stopped I'd feel better. I'm understand why I felt so anxious at the start of stopping the drugs but it's got worse.

That's left me thinking that this is the way I am, a person who needs AD to level out the anxiety problems.

Hey CJA - 

the answers are on your thread.  

First of all, symptoms do not necessarily come on the day you quit - they can lull you into thinking you are fine, and then 3, 6, even 12 months out hit you with another whammy!  We are working on someone who is 29 months out from CT (admittedly, you did a taper) who is still having "classic" symptoms.

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

Time is the best, and if you are having symptoms, know that it is that system which is healing.  But you have to meet it halfway - and make efforts to heal yourself.

If you cannot bear the symptoms any longer, then the best solution is to reinstate a tiny amount - 1 mg has been suggested here.  I would suggest that even 0.5 mg might help, since it is such a strong drug.  It is NOT starting over, as so many believe.  It's just giving yourself a break, so that you can see a way through this.  It might add a year to your taper, but I would be less afraid of getting pregnant on 0.5 mg, than I would a "therapeutic dose" (what the p-doc would give).  Gently, you can control your symptoms, as you go down.  It's not too late to reinstate, but it soon will be.

What Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms have you tried?  Did you find anything which was pleasurable enough to do again?

You are only a person who needs drugs if you believe that you are.  There are people here who have survived all kinds of symptoms, without drugs.  There is always someone worse off than yourself, look to them to see how they cope.

How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes has the best suggestions for how to survive "nervous sensitivity."  

If you are spinning your wheels, then turn off the car, and wait for the mud to dry.  It takes awhile, but it will dry, and then you can move on.  

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you Jan.

I've fallen into a black hole. I'm losing hope that this will pass.

Anxiety has taken my like over. I'm not working, I can't be left alone, I have constant health anxiety which are fueled by my fear of palpitations. I'm scared to move incase I have one.

There's no joy in my life anymore. I'm crippled by fear. I've had episode of anxiety whilst taking AD but nothing as overwhelming as this.

I'm having EMDR counselling but not feeling any improvement.

What's the point in living like this. If I start taking the drugs again albeit a low dose is it really going to make much difference to his anxiety. The physical symptoms have gone but the emotional problems that I took the drugs for are worse than ever :(

Hi CJ

Sorry to read you are in this rough spot. There is hope.

Later...

Just read your (whole) thread for he first time.

19 yrs on these drugs is a long time and im trying to see how you tapered in your sig but having to make a few guesses.

I can only guess you had a 1mg : 1ml soltn and dropped 1ml every month so you took a max of 10 months (?) to taper off 10ml.

You have gone far far too fast in your taper... given your history.

After 19 yrs of psychotropic drug exposure you need to go extremely slow in the taper.

Let me put 'slow' in perspective.

Tapering at the 10% of previous dose per month would have taken approx 2 years. Many are finding even this is too fast.

You did not taper such that each successive drop gets smaller (?). 

As a result your iatrogenically chemically altered brain couldnt adjust in time before the next drop. Personally i dont think the wdl is solely because you jumped off at 1ml, well its only part of the story, with the major player being that you tapered too fast from the 10 to the 1ml. Wdl symptoms can be delayed as already mentioned.

At 5% of previous dose every 4 weeks it would take 4.6 yrs to get to 0.5 mg from 10mg that is what i believe you may well have needed to taper safely off. I kind of look at it this way based on my own experience and observations, you can travel the 5 yrs tapering and have a life or you can jump off prior and spend the balance of the time (maybe plus minus some) suffering  surviving and enduring wdl. Its as simple as that. Withdrawal can be brutal and long lasting. Trust me.

If you cant see yourself being able to find ways to survive it for some time (and i am talking many months ) then you have only one option as i see it and thats to follow the mods advise to reinstate.

10mg of escit is equiv to almost 20mg paxil. I tapered negligently  off 20mg of paxil over an approx. 10 month time frame and the next 4 years were not easy and i travelled the distance drug free. At 5.9 yrs drug free Im still not home yet.

If you feel you have no option but to reach to swallow something then it is far better to ri the drug that you were on than start taking a benzo .Whats now dismissed as 'only in moderation' or 'only as needed' will soon be excused in excess morphing into a daily addiction that is hard to break. It may even cause a paradoxical reaction making things worse.

Yes the family may need to go on hold through no fault of your own.

If i was you i would write a complaint letter to as many regulatory bodies as you can find regarding your plight.

I would like to tell you that what you keep calling anxiety is totally withdrawal symptoms.

As lay people we dont have the vocab to explain the wdl symptoms but its a form of neurological impairment its not anxiety at all.imo

Everyone has been telling you that this is a wdl symptom but you cant seem to see it. 

xyz counselling is not going to help with the suffering of ssri wdl, imo, it may help perhaps to change the feelings of fear at the unfolding manifestations and halt wanting to run to the doctor to beg 'take it away' but i doubt it for many in acute ssri wdl trauma.

This is why you say this: "I'm having EMDR counselling but not feeling any improvement."

Wishing you strength.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thank you so much Nz11 for your reply.

I can see what you are saying and have realised I tapered wrong and too fast. I didn't feel any symptoms tapering until I stopped at 1mg. But I did it too fast.

The reason I'm having trouble believing this anxiety is a WD symptom is because I've had these issues all my life and experienced these difficulties whilst on the drugs but they feel more intense now.

I'm fearful of reinstating the drugs as I'm frightened of the physical symptoms I'll experience going back on the drug. Like I'm messing my brain around. It's been this long without them in my system I think I'll just shock my brain again and feel worse if I take them. (That's my fear)

Then again I don't know how to get my life back. I've never been so frightened and confused ????

The reason I'm having trouble believing this anxiety is a WD symptom is because I've had these issues all my life and experienced these difficulties whilst on the drugs but they feel more intense now.

CJ your life was hijacked and kidnapped by the medical profession at age 14 when they gave you seroxat.

Please take some time to read up about study 329

http://davidhealy.org/the-troubled-life-of-study-329-the-consequences-of-failure-to-retract/

Report your experience on Rxisk.org

The majority of your life has been spent being hit and hoodwinked with medical ignorance and coping with too fast tapers and trying to stabilize with subsequent switches, not to mention no doubt a poopout or two .....and the resulting iatrogenically induced neurological terror and cataclysmic mood disorders.

Its been one big revolving door. "I've failed many times to WD from each AD I've been on in that period."

The reason you have failed to break this drug addiction by stealth in that period is you like most of us here didnt understand or comprehend the safe tapering requirement needed to get free.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

It's damaged me beyond repair. I was so young and still developing when put on these drugs and I've never been without them.

I'm so frightened and lost.

If I start taking them again I risk feeling awful if I don't I have to live like this!?

I feel like I'm going out of my mind here. You're all being so amazing helping me but maybe there's nothing more anyone can do for me

Hey CJ,

First off you are not damaged beyond repair. Everything you are thinking is withdrawal, it catastrophizes everything. Mods here can only tell you what to do, but you have to make the decision. I was exactly where you were 6 months ago, I was all doom and gloom. I thought I was permanently damaged. I reinstated the drug, boom everything went away. Now my stabilization was a little faster than most. My symptoms were insomnia,suicidal ideation, no appetite and a pounding heart. The last thing I wanted to do was go back on the drug. But I really had no choice, either suffer I don't know how many months of withdrawal or reinstate. Again I had to make the decision.  

What nz11 says here in my opinion is 100% correct.

Everyone has been telling you that this is a wdl symptom but you cant seem to see it. 

Your anxiety and your black and white thinking which I have seen SquirrellyGirl say in your thread is what withdrawal does. Please seriously consider reinstating, getting stable and then getting a taper plan in order. We can not make the decision for you. As much as this is a support site, the work has to come from you. Fight for your life, fight for your future child and your family. 

All the best,

Paxil 20-30mgs since 2004.

Three previous withdrawal attempts 2008,2012 and 2015 all cold turkey.

Reinstated 10mg February 20th 2016

3/20/16-9mg 4/5/16-8mg 5/5/16-7mg 5/25/16-6mg 6/25/16-5mg 8/7/16-updose to 6mg 9/7/16 5.5mg 10/10/16-5mg 11/10/16-4.5mg

One thing that helps me is to see your withdrawal process as your own personal journey. Do not internalize someone else's withdrawal as your own. 

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."  - Maya Angelou

Thank you Vigor

I'm at breaking point now. Trying to get my head around how this can still be withdrawal when it feels like the original problem is back.

When you stop an SSRI doesthat mean your brain has to learn to make serotonin again? Is that why I'm so anxious and low?

For the first time I've realised that reinstating may be my only option.

Is it safe to go back to 1mg after nearly 13 weeks? What can I expect to happen? Will I experience all the physical symptoms again?

Once I've settled how do I then taper off 1mg? I have the liquid but couldn't control it in the syringe as it was too small of an amount. I know it'll have to be 10% reduction at a time but how do you physically do that with liquid?

Thank you all for your support and patience with me, I feel like it's the end of the world but I'm trying my hardest to hang on to hope that this won't beat me for much longer X

• Moderator Emeritus

I reinstated escitalopram (and a benzo) after 45 days and I almost momentarily felt like I stopped my free fall. It took me over 4 months to slowly and gradually come to were I was before. I wouldn't fear reinstatement. You will start with such a low amount that you can be completely in control. If it doesn't agree with you you can simply stop it without any consequence and there are great chances it will reduce your suffering.

I'm tapering off 0.64 mg of a drug which I dose 5 times a day so dosing small amounts with the help of the liquid is not a problem at all. It's just a question of ratio between the drug and liquid and we can help you with that. You will simply add more liquid, not in 1:1 ratio but in other ratios which are easier to control. (I make my own liquid by dissolving Lexapro pills in water but it can be done with Lexapro liquid as well).

I wish I found this site at 33 but I always tell myself it might have taken me even longer. Now I'm 39 and will probably be too old to have a child once I'm off. We all think our situation is hard. They all are but we just have to accept them. You still have time. Try not to worry.

The post written by our member Rhi 5 years ago is what for me best describes how psychotropic drugs work and what happens in our brains when we stop taking them.

" lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning. What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain. So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along).

It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected."

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Well explained Bubble.

I always read and re-read these explanations about the very slow taper process and why we are doing it, to remind myself about the fact that our brains are re-modelling/growing.

Major Life Events: 

Thank you Bubble, you've just summed up what I've been trying to explain to my parents and husband. They hope that if I continue with hypnotherapy it'll make it better and I can continue to ride it out. They're worried reinstating after this time isn't a good idea.

It's becoming clearer to me that I did this way to fast and that's why I'm in this mess.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, what a rollercoaster this all is. Starting to experience longer Windows now so I'm hopeful I can do this. 17 weeks drug free now but still a long road ahead to travel.

I just wondered if withdrawal effects ladies around that time of the month? Or if it's nothing to do with it?

I've been experiencing the worst PMS of my life, migraine, palpitations, my emotions are all over the place (more so than the rest of the month) and the most painful breasts that hurt so much I cant even sleep. I then experience very heavy period. Is it just coincidence that I'm in this state during withdrawal or is there a connection?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CJAJ,

Personally I am past that now, but other ladies have discussed it here:  pms-and-menstrual-cycle-issues-during-withdrawal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you x

I've had to have a lot of time off work due to how poorly this has made me. I've got to see occupational health today for an assessment, so frightened they won't understand or have any knowledge of SSRI withdrawal like most Drs I've encountered ????

Really worried about it.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid your fears are justified. Occupational health people will most likely be very much like doctors regarding this (or entirely rely on what doctors say).

Maybe this can help:

DEALING WITH DOCTORS

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to your doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Arghhhhhhh!!!!! I could scream!!!

Some classic quotes from my horrible meeting...

"It's very unusual to have such an adverse reaction to stopping only 1mg"

"You felt that bad and didn't go back on a full dose of the drugs"

"What you're describing doesn't tend to happen when you stop these drugs, it's more likely a panic disorder that you have"

"You still struggling after 17 weeks so it's likely that you have a panic disorder, nothing to do with the drugs"

It's sooooo frustrating! I know 100% that everything I've experienced is because of these drugs. Now he's going to write to my employer and imply I have a panic disorder! I am thankfully going to be seeing the report first and I intend to attach any literature I can that explains discontinuation syndrome and what's REALLY happening to me.

Can any of you please send me any links or articles or information you feel would be appropriate and useful to me to print to attach to my report???

Thank you all xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a very similar situation to yours: have problems working and will need some adjustments. But I can't accept that they would attribute what I'm going through to anything else except what it is: discontinuation syndrome. It's very tough and I don't have the energy for this kind of battle.

There are lots of articles here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

This is the one that I​ printed out for my psychiatrist:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8335-fava-2015-withdrawal-symptoms-after-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor-discontinuation-a-systematic-review/

While DSM has disontinuation syndrome as a recognised entity, International classification of disease used in Europe doesn't (as far as I know).​

Thank you so much Bubble for your support and those links. I'll have a read now.

It's so hard to fight ppl who are ignorant and not prepared to listen or explore the possibility that I may be telling the truth.

I know my body, I know what's happening to me and I'll keep fighting to defend myself.

Thank you again X

I'm fuming!!! Just had occupational health report and it's as I feared!! Worse of all the recommendation that I see a psychiatrist to put me back on medication!! ????????????????????????????????????????????????

It gives the impression I've had a relapse and totally disregards SSRI withdrawal ????

I'm so upset ????

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand how you feel.

But from their point of view this is the only conclusion they could've reached.

Is it possible for you to look at it from another angle: you only need them to give you what you need - time off work. You can't expect validation and understanding from them. But you can play along to get what you want - the time you need to heal. You can go to a psychiatrist and accept going on meds while continuing with your plan.

Maybe you can reach one of the very few doctors from our list of doctors knowledgeable about WD.

How does that sound?

I've had a very long time off work and was beginning to feel I could start to get back into things. A week before meeting with him I met with my boss and we agreed that I'd be signed off for a further 6 weeks but in that time I could go into work whenever I liked for however long I felt able with no pressure or responsibility to help me build my confidence and get back into work. But he's said I've had a relapse and have an anxiety disorder and therefore should not return to work in anyway for 8 weeks!?

Where do I find the list of Drs who understand all this?? Is there Drs in the U.K.?

Thank you bubble xx

• Moderator Emeritus

UNITED KINGDOM

Robert Lefever, MA, MD, B Chir., South Kensington, London (addiction focus)

Bob Johnson, MD, London (not accepting patients)

Sami Timimi, MD, Lincolnshire

Peter Haddad, MD, Greater Manchester

Duncan Double, MD, Suffolk and Norwich

David Healy, MD, North Wales

Thank you xx