NearlyMedlessKate

How do I deal with unsupportive friends?

NearlyMedlessKate

So I don't work and spend too much time on emotionally toxic (so I'm learning) websites like Facebook. Before I had what I'm starting to think of as an epiphany on the harms of the psychiatric industry, I was part of a very large Facebook support group for people with Bipolar Disorder. I received incredible support from that group until I started talking about coming off my meds, at which point, seemingly everyone came out of the woodwork to warn me of how I was going to relapse and regret this decision and how horribly it had turned out for them. Yada yada. Some (women particularly for some reason) were openly hostile if I challenged any beliefs like chemical imbalance or supposed safety of psych drugs. I eventually left the group and dropped the people I had become Facebook friends with who were unsupportive. But one "friend" seemed cool and so I stayed friends with her.

On my own page, I have talked repeatedly about how much better I feel and most people I actually know IRL have been very supportive. I think they can see the changes in the tone of my posts because I was just ANGRY RAGING all the time on Latuda and now I am back to fairly calm and happy. The other day (I can't stop thinking about this), I made a Facebook post on my own page about having responded elsewhere on Facebook to some anti-gay comments and that my comment of support for the people being marginalized was probably going to get hate mail. This "friend" of mine commented that I clearly only made the comment to upset the anti-gay folks and adult women don't spend their time making people uncomfortable on the internet. She strongly suggested I see my therapist and reinstate my meds immediately because I was clearly taking pleasure in upsetting people and that wasn't normal.

So I responded with a lengthy reply that it had nothing to do with upsetting anyone. There are a number of people in my family who fall along the LGBT spectrum and I always speak up when I hear people saying hurtful things. I believe it is exactly what someone should do. To be fair, quite a number of my friends jumped in to defend me. The original person did not respond again, but the responses on the post were so many that I decided to send her a PM and tell her I hoped she didn't feel ganged up on and that I valued her opinion. She said she didn't feel ganged up on because she didn't read my reply or any of the others. She was just passing along the "information" that I need help and could do with that info whatever I wanted. She said "I'm just not that committed to it." This honestly felt like baiting to me. She was committed enough to insinuate I need professional help but unwilling to even consider that the situation was not what she thought it was. 

Now, I know this is drama. I realize this. And when I realized this woman was reinforcing her own belief to herself that *she* can't live without meds and was projecting that belief about herself onto me, I simply decided to unfriend her and move on. Because I need supportive people around and not people on the lookout for my impending demise.

What I can't figure out is why this is bothering me so much. Most of my actual friends, made up of people I know in person or have known online for years and years, have been very supportive, or at least haven't made any negative comments about my journey to go med free. For some reason, after two days, this incident is still upsetting me. I guess I realize it's just a person on the internet that has a BS opinion that they need to share because they have no sense of boundaries when it comes to other people's healthcare decisions. But at this point I'm curious about is how others have handled these type of comments that you're unbalanced and need help before you crash? Does it affect you? Does it make you worry whether you're making the right decision to go off meds? I feel like I shouldn't let this woman get to me, but ever since this happened, I've been needing to reassure myself that I have made the right decision for my situation and that I can't let comments like this knock me off track. But I also feel now like I should watch everything I say to make sure it can't be misconstrued as proof of my illness. Will this sensitivity to the opinions of others ease as I continue to heal and do well? And is there anything I can do besides what I'm already doing, exercise, diet, talking to supportive people? 

An now I feel like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. I could really use some insight and perspective from others.

NearlyMedlessKate

I want to add that I do actually have pretty good coping mechanisms and this isn't really making me overly distressed. But I think I am feeling defensive about my decision to go off meds since I have been on them for so long and have been so demonstrably crazy that I am second-guessing myself. I have also missed several doses in the last week and a half due to missing a dose at the hospital and carelessness in forgetting to take it twice,  so that is almost certainly affecting my ability to let this go and maybe this will ease once I stabilize again. I probably just need to be patient.

manymoretodays

I have had some of the same experiences online and off.........trying to find my "new place" in the mental health communities I used to frequent......online and real life, as well as explaining myself or trying to with family and friends...... while feeling strongly about "undoing" my diagnoses after years.  I mean I have had a lot of symptoms in W/D and still indeed, do need a lot of friendly, kind support..........it's so horrible when they start suggesting meds. and/or other conventional, in the system treatments...........after I have tried repeatedly to tell them what I am doing and why.......or what I now believe about myself(not mentally ill basically).

And then we have to be careful how WE interact with our new-ish knowledge with those fixed on medication use and chemical imbalance theories and all that...........

Anyway.....I know it's tough.

Have you read anything at the Beyondmeds blog by Monica Cassini.......I know that a lot of her stuff really helped me.........maybe it will help you as well......in that redefining yourself now......and finding comfort in your interactions or comfort in decisions as far as to who to keep in your life now...........or which friendships and all that.  Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic book was also a factor in my awakening, so to speak.

Anyway......hope that helps somewhat.......your concern is fairly common here I think.........many of us who have had psych. labels and diagnoses do struggle a bit(or a lot!) with some of our older pre W/D relationships and finding a way to preserve some of the important ones.....relationships.....even when they don't "get it" and throw weird stuff at us that is frustrating........based on their beliefs about us from our past........for me, I guess maybe I just have to accept that some folks will always regard me as what I too, once believed was part of my makeup.  I am still learning as well.......

NearlyMedlessKate

Just noting and I will try to get back to you nearlymedlesskate.  I have had some of the same experiences online and off.........trying to find my "new place" in the mental health communities I used to frequent......online and real life, as well as explaining myself or trying to with family and friends...... while feeling strongly about "undoing" my diagnoses after years.  I mean I have had a lot of symptoms in W/D and still indeed, do need a lot of friendly, kind support..........it's so horrible when they start suggesting meds. and/or other conventional, in the system treatments...........after I have tried repeatedly to tell them what I am doing and why.......or what I now believe about myself(not mentally ill basically).

And then we have to be careful how WE interact with our new-ish knowledge with those fixed on medication use and chemical imbalance theories and all that...........

Anyway.....I know it's tough.

Have you read anything at the Beyondmeds blog by Monica Cassini.......I know that a lot of her stuff really helped me.........maybe it will help you as well......in that redefining yourself now......and finding comfort in your interactions or comfort in decisions as far as to who to keep in your life now...........or which friendships and all that.  Robert Whitaker's Anatomy of an Epidemic book was also a factor in my awakening, so to speak.

Anyway......hope that helps somewhat.......your concern is fairly common here I think.........many of us who have had psych. labels and diagnoses do struggle a bit(or a lot!) with some of our older pre W/D relationships and finding a way to preserve some of the important ones.

"And then we have to be careful how WE interact with our new-ish knowledge with those fixed on medication use and chemical imbalance theories and all that..........."

Yes, that was pretty much why I left the group. It was really entirely pushing the medical model and the reaction to even the gentlest suggestion otherwise was met with hostility and accusations of giving people harmful advice or just outright being called an idiot. I am in some psychiatric recovery groups now that are much more helpful.

"Have you read anything at the Beyondmeds blog by Monica Cassini."

Yes, yes, yes! I love her site. I've spent hours there. She is really inspiring with all the hell her body has put her through. I can't imagine. My W/D has been nothing like that. I've also been to Mad In America and Recovering From Psychiatry. I found many of the comments to articles at Mad In America to be as interesting as the articles themselves. There is a lot of perspective if you dig in and read them all - no I haven't read them all, but I've read an awful lot, hours and hours in comment sections. And I've read seven books on this topic since I started my last taper a little over a month ago.

I've got a pretty good handle on coping skills in general. But for reasons I haven't figured out, I'm really letting *this* particular person get under my skin. Maybe it's partly because I have such a great support system otherwise that it came as a shock? Or because the insinuation that I'm mental for sticking up for people is absurd and shocking? Ahhhh! lol I am just going to have to ride it out, I guess.

manymoretodays

Okay.....I might have done a bit more editing after you quoted me to respond.  Have to get offline now though......I can literally lose hours if I don't catch myself and discipline as far as internet use.  A beautiful day here and a lot of catch-up in chores and such to do as well as getting more nature and exercise in too.

I'll get on back to you though.  And as always.......so good to know I'm not alone in some of my struggles.......isn't SA just the greatest!

NearlyMedlessKate

Have a beautiful day. I'm off for a walk out in the sunshine. Hope that will help clear my head. :)

Martina23

Hello Kate, your story remembered me on my relationship with my mother. She also pushes her opinion on me in a very toxic way, for example says there is no withdrawal from meds and if I feel now unwell, I should go and discuss it with a psychiatrist, "because they have experiences". Something like that the meds caused me all the psychical symptoms I have she refuses to acknowledge. I also always after speaking with her feel so crushed inside. I tell myself I have to live my values but yes it is very hard by such toxic people. They make you even feel guilty for not following their advice even if you believe their advice is wrong.For me what helps is only to speak about it with good friends who understand and support me and when they tell me no, this person was wrong, continue your way, it is the right way, then I can put it behind me and just forget such people.

manymoretodays

Hi again Kate.  I can't believe how much I still struggle when amongst those who still believe in the diagnoses and psychoactive medication.  I do like therapy and other alternatives but it seems to come after other treatment for so many.  And I still get overly.......uber concerned when I become aware of........well........the effects on others' medications' on them.......in a bad way.......sometimes side effects........sometimes just personality changes.........sometimes just a rudeness and righteousness without ears to hear with anymore(oh, I do that too).  A fixed ness.

So.......any coping you can share besides a complete cut off of people or disconnect?

buggedout

"I simply decided to unfriend her and move on" -- Sounds like you already know how to handle these people who show little or no support. :)

I'm a big fan of cutting people out of my life who are un-supportive, or negative, in any way, whether it pertains to my meds or something else. I'd rather keep a few close friends who understand me, than a large number of friends who question me. See these people don't actually care, they are just being nosy, they crave gossip and they also just like the sound of their own voice.

I've also found lately that life is a lot less stressful when you pay less attention to what's going on with other people around you, and put yourself first. I used to read/watch the news, and get heavily involved in online debates, I've also been all around the online conspiracy community and even ran my own website last year... but I find that after a while it just becomes pointless, and serves no real meaning. I've since closed my website, stopped going to these online forums and debating, and I've even stopped watching television or caring about what's in the news. Notice how it's always just the same stuff regurgitated. Much of it is social engineering, and I even question the validity of what we're told by these media outlets. There is a much bigger picture, life is much bigger than whatever trivial BS comes through the idiot box, or whatever trivial nonsense is being spewed by random people on facebook.

Rise above all that, and just do whatever you feel is right! And unfriend those who hate you for it.

manymoretodays

I guess it just gets lonely and confusing sometimes.  I however, do believe people generally do care about others.  We know so little of what others are really dealing with sometimes........what makes them need to be so "right" or "angry" or whatever......

Especially with the internet stuff though......I think sometimes it gives free reign for people sometimes to show their worst sides or something.  Be who they are keeping maybe masked in real life.

I totally agree on the media sometimes "hype" and staying away from the really ugly news when one is a bit down and sensitive.  Hard to really know anymore what is truth........it used to sure seem easier.

I would hate to stop caring however........I think at some point........once removed you can care again.........even if only in your heart for those who are different or have different views and ways of expressing themselves.

I liked your post bugged out........it did give me comfort........just knowing........some forums just aren't for me anymore.

NearlyMedlessKate

BuggedOut, I am very good at cutting people out of my life. But I'm not convinced it's good for me and think it's maybe something I need to work on. I have a few close friends I treasure but most of my other relationships are fairly superficial so I don't really feel any attachment to most of the people in my life. I'm not skilled at cultivating relationships and I'm sensitive (reactive) to negative words/actions from others.

ManyMoreTodays, what do you do instead of cutting people off? I don't know. I guess for me it has to do with the quality of the friendship. None of my close friends would "hit and run" so to speak like that. If they have a problem with me, they take it up with me privately, not in front of everyone I know online. And the same in return. So in this case, I don't regret ending the short-lived online friendship. Maybe even the whole tone of my original post was wrong since she was simply a Facebook-designated "friend" and not someone I should have been calling a friend. She was a brief acquaintance.

Back to BuggedOut, I completely agree that tuning out is useful in some situations. I used to get really upset by watching the news on TV, so in 2004 I stopped watching TV and in 2005 I gave it away. My husband wanted to get a TV for watching Netflix on, so last week we bought a new one and the first thing I did was program it to hide all the news stations. I'm extremely empathic to the suffering of others and find that being bombarded with images of war/abuse/injustice does not help me emotionally. I do what I can to help others - give cash to the homeless, volunteer at the local food bank, but TV? No. Politics? No. Religion? No. I know what I can handle and I don't try to pretend to myself that I can handle these things. And I find it extremely easy to slip into these debates if they are presented to me on Facebook with features like being shown what your friends are commenting on. Because some of my friends are much mellower and able to handle that kind of debate without getting heated. I'm not, so not being exposed to it is best for me. What I did in the end was quit Facebook entirely early last week. I've done this before when I needed a breather from social media. I joined a local yoga studio and also signed up to join a zen buddhist meditation group where I hope the quality of interaction with others will be higher. I think ultimately, forcing myself to have more in-person human interaction will be better for me. At the same time, I have to define my limits and stick to them without worrying what others will think.

Thanks for all the responses. It gave me more to think about and helped me see this better for myself.

NearlyMedlessKate

Also, yes, I should clarify that I only made a couple of comments - very short, maybe three or four sentences - about meds - and once about the chemical imbalance myth -  and only on posts where people asked about others experiences going med free. My comments about my process of tapering were misconstrued (not ever by the people trying to go off their meds) on those occasions, disingenuously so, in my opinion, by several people who were openly hostile. I left the group pretty quickly after that. I do not intend to make others uncomfortable. We no longer had the same goals, so I left. I'm not trying to start a rebellion. I'll leave that to others who aren't in a life-altering transition.

manymoretodays

BuggedOut, I am very good at cutting people out of my life. But I'm not convinced it's good for me and think it's maybe something I need to work on. I have a few close friends I treasure but most of my other relationships are fairly superficial so I don't really feel any attachment to most of the people in my life. I'm not skilled at cultivating relationships and I'm sensitive (reactive) to negative words/actions from others.

ManyMoreTodays, what do you do instead of cutting people off? I don't know. I guess for me it has to do with the quality of the friendship. None of my close friends would "hit and run" so to speak like that. If they have a problem with me, they take it up with me privately, not in front of everyone I know online. And the same in return. So in this case, I don't regret ending the short-lived online friendship. Maybe even the whole tone of my original post was wrong since she was simply a Facebook-designated "friend" and not someone I should have been calling a friend. She was a brief acquaintance.

Back to BuggedOut, I completely agree that tuning out is useful in some situations. I used to get really upset by watching the news on TV, so in 2004 I stopped watching TV and in 2005 I gave it away. My husband wanted to get a TV for watching Netflix on, so last week we bought a new one and the first thing I did was program it to hide all the news stations. I'm extremely empathic to the suffering of others and find that being bombarded with images of war/abuse/injustice does not help me emotionally. I do what I can to help others - give cash to the homeless, volunteer at the local food bank, but TV? No. Politics? No. Religion? No. I know what I can handle and I don't try to pretend to myself that I can handle these things. And I find it extremely easy to slip into these debates if they are presented to me on Facebook with features like being shown what your friends are commenting on. Because some of my friends are much mellower and able to handle that kind of debate without getting heated. I'm not, so not being exposed to it is best for me. What I did in the end was quit Facebook entirely early last week. I've done this before when I needed a breather from social media. I joined a local yoga studio and also signed up to join a zen buddhist meditation group where I hope the quality of interaction with others will be higher. I think ultimately, forcing myself to have more in-person human interaction will be better for me. At the same time, I have to define my limits and stick to them without worrying what others will think.

Thanks for all the responses. It gave me more to think about and helped me see this better for myself.

I don't know.  Learning how to say I care,  thanking them for the lesson?,  even when others all jump in to rescue the one who perceived some kind of personal attack........even when I explained for the group, for group understanding what happens in some forums and what the situation was.  My recent one was not so much on the difference of opinion/truths of chemical imbalance theories and diagnostic BS and the harm of some of the psychoactive prescription treatment...........it was just me trying to intellectualize on a topic to distract from pain(physical hip pain pretty intense now gone)......with a bit of free association(typing and thinking is a good dis tractor for me at times).........which another participant took as a direct attack on her......personally attacked me and my character........then the others started acting like 7th graders from another clique than mine and hurling insults and their interpretations of my words at me........ganging up like I don't know what or why.........just meddling and mean really.  Hurtful too.  Just people......no real life friends like that thank goodness........finger pointers........yikes.

Same kind of rudeness has happened to me before on the same forum.......and then me always being called out for some unknown reason.  When the other person clearly overreacted rudely.  And "personally attacked" me after a post of mine upset them.    This time I held my ground but not without telling them they were meddling in a situation that had nothing to do with them........was between me and another poster.   Last time I held my own as well but this last situation was just same old from some of them and a good signal to get on out of the heat.   I also said how hurtful and childish they were being and just got called more names.  So I left.  A disturbed regular group(just a few) on that forum........not healthy for me to be around right now.  I told them all......the regulars, of course I care(before) but you guys are overbearing, judgemental, closed minded, and probing sometimes beyond what is comfortable for me to feel or give any support there anymore.  Or even to freely express myself in the manner of my choosing when I need to.

It's a poorly designed forum as well.........one times out on long replies.........sometimes can save sometimes can't but I usually edit longer responses just to try and be neutral and such with my views on non mental health topics and mental health topics alike.  So then I got accused of changing stuff.   And several of us post that way......with subsequent edits.   Oh and the forum hosts just delete stuff if a button is pushed so one can't even go back and reread their own post to see how they or in this case........the person offended........could have overpersonalized that it was a direct attack on her.  I did review it before that time and it wasn't my intention, wasn't worded as argumentative to the last poster.....was just general outloud thinking that I put to the keyboard......thanked her when I asked for a source on some medical information that I wasn't certain of..........

Most there are being harmed enough by their own choices, no need for me to harm further or retaliate or further care what they might think of me.  I've got enough going on and finally am getting more local people and self respect back in my life.

Bleech........anyway........I've told them I care about all of them before...........they can take it or leave it...........and yah.........at some point I'll probably go back.......maybe not even post just make sure all the regulars are status quo with their variable just bizarre mean ness, overbearingness, and lack of common decency sometimes.........and are still thriving in perhaps the best way they can.  I can always just read and post inspirational quotes or something.

Crazy internet communication world sometimes.  Alot of folks seem to need a scapegoat or something......  AND can't express myself as myself there.  What's the point of sticking around??........it's like some kind of self abuse for me to do so........  They just refuse to take responsibility for THEIR actions.......I owned mine and could only explain over and over to a point.........

That's my story on my latest.  They had me in tears though and a lot of emotional hurt........just aggravated by a few.........and I think they do it for that very purpose.......to hurt another.

Anyway......glad to have broke the obsession with that site for awhile.  It's just that I have used that forum for a very long time........and most likely will have to go back at some point........or not..........just to see who is still posting and how they seem to be.........I can always avoid the one troublesome forum and just post my own stuff elsewhere on the same site and read some of the stuff.

So I don't know........this last one was just too hurtful on me.........I don't get people like that at all.  But I can just care from afar because it's better than hating for me.

manymoretodays

And hey......thanks for asking NearlyMedless.  Good to get that out and I have recovered well by taking my leave from there.  Helpful to read others ways of dealing too.  Also, it is a mental health site but not FB.

NearlyMedlessKate

Similarly, sounds like a tough situation. Obviously there are people there you care about who you want to keep up with, but you also have to care for your own mental health needs and not allow people you don't really know to tear you down or distract you from caring for yourself. And internet forums - FB and elsewhere - can be problematic as there are so many ways to temper your words with tone, inflection, smiles and body language in person that are extremely hard to convey online. Good luck next time you venture there! :)

manymoretodays

yes......thanks........so tough........all this getting in touch with ones emotions, letting them float........clearing one's head.......trying, trying........to let the outside in again and keep the outgoing behavior/words/etc. harm free for others.........learning some lessons I guess I truly missed along the way..........somewhere, somehow..........learning to be who I am at any given moment and being comfortable with it..........uncomfortable, at best  :mellow:

signed:

cautiously ecstatic manymoretodays....... :) 

fema4psychiatrists

facebook is a poison. like pharmaceuticals. they are both intentional war weapons. you deserve better. leave that junk by the wayside and guide your efforts by the power of the universe. it created you equally

lalala

I just learned I have no real support my family are dysfunctional to the point of being nasty(sister) I'm wding from klonopin.... I was not able  to work 

I may have to move or try to work part time on something  also no financial help from anyone , but did get disability which all goes to rent thanks to listening to my sister and lost an opportunity for monetary help from a friend thanxs to my sister's behaviour...I feel so exhausted, I tried to work for elderly lady and the women made me clean all her house, I'm still recovering...  bc the next day had to clean my apt. from workers that came to fix a sink. No lick there I will try another person. I feel the universe is not on my side these days.

I fell like a complete failure  sometimes,  they don't understand wd and the exhaustion it giving among other sxs... I'm a sensitive soul and I don't know how I will pull through alone.

even when I sleep I'm still tired

UnfoldingSky
2 hours ago, lalala said:

I just learned I have no real support my family are dysfunctional to the point of being nasty(sister) I'm wding from klonopin.... I was not able  to work 

I may have to move or try to work part time on something  also no financial help from anyone , but did get disability which all goes to rent thanks to listening to my sister and lost an opportunity for monetary help from a friend thanxs to my sister's behaviour...I feel so exhausted, I tried to work for elderly lady and the women made me clean all her house, I'm still recovering...  bc the next day had to clean my apt. from workers that came to fix a sink. No lick there I will try another person. I feel the universe is not on my side these days.

I fell like a complete failure  sometimes,  they don't understand wd and the exhaustion it giving among other sxs... I'm a sensitive soul and I don't know how I will pull through alone.

even when I sleep I'm still tired

Sounds quite a bit like my family...sorry to hear you are in a similar predicament.

lalala
On 8/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, UnfoldingSky said:

Sounds quite a bit like my family...sorry to hear you are in a similar predicament.

Thxs,  I  can't  see  your history  were do you  stand now in terms of wd? 

UnfoldingSky

Hi lalala, most of my withdrawal issues have cleared up. 

I may now stand to lose a small work gig I had thanks to a relative screaming at me out the front of my workplace, where others could hear.

Nelly

20 months ago I moved house; 50 miles away from my family. I know I was brave! It was difficult. I was depressed at the time, and off sick from work.  I did it! What did I have to loose! 

I have always been there for my family; kind of tried to make up for my parents failings. It has been a very difficult life, and it felt like no one was there for me.

I haven’t looked back. I am still in touch with my family; my mum is 91. I now tell myself that my mum has had a long life, I need to start putting myself first. I can’t change my sisters and brothers lives; they know I love them and i will always be there for them, but I don’t feel the responsibility to them that I used to. I have tried to help make their lives better, but I can’t do any more.

I now mix with happy, nice people! I joined groups and started going to church; things I never did before. I do sometimes drop out because I am not a big social person, but that’s ok. I am not surrounded by negativity any more.  None of my family know that I am trying to come off AD. They wouldn’t understand. If I think about my family, sometimes it makes me cry; it is a sad story, so I try not to think about them too much. I am the youngest of 6. My father was sent to prison when I was a baby and my mother admitted into a mental hospital. We suffered emotional and psychological abuse. I have always to this day tried to please my mum In the hope that I would feel loved. I have never felt loved. I am sure I have been loved but I have never felt it. 

I would never move back. I am now the best that I have been. I’m not there yet, but it is so much better. I won’t let anyone spoil my progress. When I struggle now with my health or my emotions etc. I tell myself .....it will pass. Yes I get lonely and it can be painful, very painful, but that too passes xx

UnfoldingSky

Nelly, your story is so heartbreaking. I am glad though that you have managed to get to a better place and the fact you have managed to move and find happy people to be around makes me a bit hopeful one day I can do the same.  You seem like a kind and sensitive person and you deserve to be and feel loved. 

I used to feel loved by quite a few people but after what psychiatry did to me, I now don't. Of course quite a few of those people are no longer in my life, I stopped seeing some friends because I just could not keep up with them when very sick from withdrawal, or didn't want them to see me in the state I was in.  But I had too many people around me who wanted to believe the pills were not to blame--even though doctors said they were--and it did a lot of damage.  Or, some of them would believe me but when convenient they'd claim the pills had not harmed me.   And there were other problems too. I've just arrived at a place now where I have great trouble trusting most people. I have met a few really wonderful people through the withdrawal "journey", there are people in the world you can find whom you just KNOW are trustworthy.  But I've met so many dysfunctional people where I live that it's just altered how much trust I have.

I think I have been fighting accepting that too. I was naive when I first started to see marked recovery from withdrawal. I had been isolated so long, that I thought if I can just meet some people where I live who don't know my past, then, it's all going to work out.  Instead it has not worked out very well.  I really would like to move out of the area where I am living, and I hope in future that I will manage it. 

Nelly

Good morning 

Thank you for your message. We are the same. 

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. It’s ok to push people away if they are not good for you, I have realised that. I still distance myself from good people sometimes, but like you it is usually because I am not up to talking or meeting anyone. But, there will be more people who come into our lives. Moving did give me a new start. I wouldn’t have joined clubs (I have since stopped going) and gone to church if I stayed where I was, I do still find my self distancing myself, but I tell myself that’s ok. Better to be lonely than in second class company. 

I now wonder from reading stuff on SA, if this is not the real me. I thought I was just a tired, sad, depressed and lonely person, always going to see the doctor hoping he could fix me. I never felt well, but I couldn’t say what was wrong. I now realise it was the effects of AD. Waking up so tired and miserable after 10 hours sleep was the AD. In a way the future is exciting and scary; I think I may find the real me; a happy, sociable person. Since I moved, people ask for my number, they suggest we do something. It has helped me realise that actually I must be a nice person because people seem to like me. I never felt worthy before. 

I think moving where people don’t know too much about your past can be a positive thing. 

I hope you can find a way of freeing yourself from what sounds like a similar experience. We can go wherever we want. I would love to keep in touch and hear how you are getting on. X

Nelly

One thing I continue to struggle with is meeting nice men! I still attract men who are not reliable and not available except to suit themselves ( one at the moment) I seem to manage better emotionally when I have no man in my life.  And yet I fall for them; I mean I become needy for their affection. It raises very emotional issues for me. When I was younger I would think; well why are my friends married or in relationships, and I am not. I used to think; well what is wrong with me. 

Someone once asked me why I had never married; I replied; I didn’t think it applied to me. I now believe these thoughts were an effect of AD’s 

I once become pregnant; I couldn’t cope with the emptiness and out of body sensation that I experienced; the awful distant feeling that I had; I had a termination. I now believe these feelings were the effect of AD’s. 

Thankfully I am not allowing these experiences to take up too much of my thinking time. 

Instead I took on the role as parent for my siblings; feeling their pain and sadness. 

Now 55 years old and don’t know where I have been all my life. 

But I am not too sad, it is what it is. I won’t let the past and overthinking, spoil my progress, I have come too far. 

When I moved house 20 months ago I did it on my own; no family support; just me, and a little help from 2 men with a van!!! I asked myself what’s the worst that can happen? What have I got to loose? 

X

UnfoldingSky
On 8/20/2019 at 4:21 AM, Nelly said:

Good morning 

Thank you for your message. We are the same. 

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. It’s ok to push people away if they are not good for you, I have realised that. I still distance myself from good people sometimes, but like you it is usually because I am not up to talking or meeting anyone. But, there will be more people who come into our lives. Moving did give me a new start. I wouldn’t have joined clubs (I have since stopped going) and gone to church if I stayed where I was, I do still find my self distancing myself, but I tell myself that’s ok. Better to be lonely than in second class company. 

I now wonder from reading stuff on SA, if this is not the real me. I thought I was just a tired, sad, depressed and lonely person, always going to see the doctor hoping he could fix me. I never felt well, but I couldn’t say what was wrong. I now realise it was the effects of AD. Waking up so tired and miserable after 10 hours sleep was the AD. In a way the future is exciting and scary; I think I may find the real me; a happy, sociable person. Since I moved, people ask for my number, they suggest we do something. It has helped me realise that actually I must be a nice person because people seem to like me. I never felt worthy before. 

I think moving where people don’t know too much about your past can be a positive thing. 

I hope you can find a way of freeing yourself from what sounds like a similar experience. We can go wherever we want. I would love to keep in touch and hear how you are getting on. X

Hi Nelly, I think you are right.  It took me a very long time to understand what you say, that it is okay to push away people who are not treating me well.  I am having to do that with a few people I know now and it's hard, but at the same time I feel a bit liberated.  I think like you I am a happy person as well, I feel like I've been kept from it though at times by being around the wrong people.  Well that and the pills didn't help!  But after having had a bad reaction to pills and then a cold turkey withdrawal, and recovering a lot from that, I just don't want to waste time on not being as happy as I can.  Even though I know some days aren't going to be great, there is still a lot in the world to be thankful for.

Also , it sounds like you were having a bad effect from the pills. I was always tired too--turned out that I had medical issues the doctor had not looked for.  Minor things that cause fatigue that could be treated but instead they led me to believe I was "mentally ill" as in depressed.  Of course the pills I took didn't do anything to fix those problems and eventually I had the bad reaction to one of them.  Fast forward and now it's rather a mess trying to fix the health problems.  Still am getting less tired lately with doing that, so that's a good sign. As you reduce the dose of Effexor are you noticing feeling less tired? I truly hope so.  It is no fun dragging yourself through life feeling exhausted all the time!  And I find often others don't understand too.

I would really like to move too.  Right now it's not doable due to health issues, and I need more work.  But I am feeling a bit more hopeful lately.  There is at least a chance of a temporary move, or a long trip sometime in the future, which I'd love to do. I so need a change of scenery!  And I'd love to keep in touch with you too!

Nelly
On 8/22/2019 at 5:46 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi Nelly, I think you are right.  It took me a very long time to understand what you say, that it is okay to push away people who are not treating me well.  I am having to do that with a few people I know now and it's hard, but at the same time I feel a bit liberated.  I think like you I am a happy person as well, I feel like I've been kept from it though at times by being around the wrong people.  Well that and the pills didn't help!  But after having had a bad reaction to pills and then a cold turkey withdrawal, and recovering a lot from that, I just don't want to waste time on not being as happy as I can.  Even though I know some days aren't going to be great, there is still a lot in the world to be thankful for.

Also , it sounds like you were having a bad effect from the pills. I was always tired too--turned out that I had medical issues the doctor had not looked for.  Minor things that cause fatigue that could be treated but instead they led me to believe I was "mentally ill" as in depressed.  Of course the pills I took didn't do anything to fix those problems and eventually I had the bad reaction to one of them.  Fast forward and now it's rather a mess trying to fix the health problems.  Still am getting less tired lately with doing that, so that's a good sign. As you reduce the dose of Effexor are you noticing feeling less tired? I truly hope so.  It is no fun dragging yourself through life feeling exhausted all the time!  And I find often others don't understand too.

I would really like to move too.  Right now it's not doable due to health issues, and I need more work.  But I am feeling a bit more hopeful lately.  There is at least a chance of a temporary move, or a long trip sometime in the future, which I'd love to do. I so need a change of scenery!  And I'd love to keep in touch with you too!

Good morning

i hope you have had a good week. Yes I can relate to what you say. I am so less tired since reducing venlafaxine; I am shocked at how the meds’ have made me feel. I thought the feelings of tired, feeling unwell were symptoms of depression, now I know they weren’t. Prescribed AD’s for PMT, struggling to cope with how I was feeling all my life; I didn’t know any different. I always complained of being tired; ruined relationships! 

I am glad that you are feeling more hopeful. I hope you can feel even better about your situation soon. Hope you have a good day and thank you for your message xx

UnfoldingSky
On 8/20/2019 at 5:02 AM, Nelly said:

One thing I continue to struggle with is meeting nice men! I still attract men who are not reliable and not available except to suit themselves ( one at the moment) I seem to manage better emotionally when I have no man in my life.  And yet I fall for them; I mean I become needy for their affection. It raises very emotional issues for me. When I was younger I would think; well why are my friends married or in relationships, and I am not. I used to think; well what is wrong with me. 

Someone once asked me why I had never married; I replied; I didn’t think it applied to me. I now believe these thoughts were an effect of AD’s 

I once become pregnant; I couldn’t cope with the emptiness and out of body sensation that I experienced; the awful distant feeling that I had; I had a termination. I now believe these feelings were the effect of AD’s. 

Thankfully I am not allowing these experiences to take up too much of my thinking time. 

Instead I took on the role as parent for my siblings; feeling their pain and sadness. 

Now 55 years old and don’t know where I have been all my life. 

But I am not too sad, it is what it is. I won’t let the past and overthinking, spoil my progress, I have come too far. 

When I moved house 20 months ago I did it on my own; no family support; just me, and a little help from 2 men with a van!!! I asked myself what’s the worst that can happen? What have I got to loose? 

X

Nelly, I meant to answer this earlier, but something came up. I am so terribly sorry about your having to end your pregnancy. What you describe does sound like AD effects.  I know I had awful dissociation from them personally. It seems like the consequences of taking these drugs are endless.  I often think that it would be nice to have some kind of event where people could get together and grieve over what they have lost because of psych drugs. 

I understand about the overthinking too. I find I can overthink just about anything and I have had so many hard things happen to me in my life that it's easy to fall prey to going over them again and again in my mind. Decided lately I will have to make a conscious effort not to do this.  It sounds like you are having some success over it yourself and I'm glad to hear it.

And like you I never got married either.  Part of the time I was in a relationship I was on the pills.  It did sort of seem like something other people did too, to me as well.  Now the men I meet have often been married, and don't want to get married a second time.  Even if they have not been they seem to want a "casual relationship".  I had one man claim recently he wanted to get married--after only knowing me a half hour! But that turned out of course to be just a line he was using to try to get me to go out with him. 

And I totally understand about the drama of men oh boy do I ever! I manage better emotionally too if I'm single. I also find I get a lot more done with my life when I am.

Nelly
On 8/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Nelly, I meant to answer this earlier, but something came up. I am so terribly sorry about your having to end your pregnancy. What you describe does sound like AD effects.  I know I had awful dissociation from them personally. It seems like the consequences of taking these drugs are endless.  I often think that it would be nice to have some kind of event where people could get together and grieve over what they have lost because of psych drugs. 

I understand about the overthinking too. I find I can overthink just about anything and I have had so many hard things happen to me in my life that it's easy to fall prey to going over them again and again in my mind. Decided lately I will have to make a conscious effort not to do this.  It sounds like you are having some success over it yourself and I'm glad to hear it.

And like you I never got married either.  Part of the time I was in a relationship I was on the pills.  It did sort of seem like something other people did too, to me as well.  Now the men I meet have often been married, and don't want to get married a second time.  Even if they have not been they seem to want a "casual relationship".  I had one man claim recently he wanted to get married--after only knowing me a half hour! But that turned out of course to be just a line he was using to try to get me to go out with him. 

And I totally understand about the drama of men oh boy do I ever! I manage better emotionally too if I'm single. I also find I get a lot more done with my life when I am.

Thank you for your kind message x

I hope you are doing ok xx

UnfoldingSky

Hi Nelly, I am okay, though feeling rather lonely lately.  I was reading on the unhealthy relationships thread and noticed you said you have been having jumping legs at night?  I have a strange problem, which is acting up again lately--my left leg gets restless at night.  For some reason the right one does not usually, just the left.  Has your problem cleared up? 

And how have things been going with your boyfriend, are you still seeing him?  I hope it's okay to ask.  Hope you are doing well too and that the taper is going okay. 

Nelly
On 9/20/2019 at 6:54 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi Nelly, I am okay, though feeling rather lonely lately.  I was reading on the unhealthy relationships thread and noticed you said you have been having jumping legs at night?  I have a strange problem, which is acting up again lately--my left leg gets restless at night.  For some reason the right one does not usually, just the left.  Has your problem cleared up? 

And how have things been going with your boyfriend, are you still seeing him?  I hope it's okay to ask.  Hope you are doing well too and that the taper is going okay. 

Hi Unfoldingsky

Thank you for your message. Good to hear from you. It is nice to receive a message from

those that understand. Im

sorry you are feeling lonely, I feel the same. I think it’s part of the way we have learned to deal with things in the past, which perhaps have caused us to feel vulnerable and the need to protect ourselves. Do you think the same? I have recently realised that my lack of success in finding suitable partners is probably down to my low self esteem, as a result of my childhood. Something has made me consider more recently about finding a nice partner. I think this is possibly as a result of my change in thought as a result of reducing my meds. If for the last 35 years I have taken AD’s then I do seem to be changing my thought process a little. I no longer seem to believe what I used to. 

What symptoms do you have in your leg when you say restless? Have you tried pain killers before bed? The jumpy legs has improved, i haven’t noticed this in the past week. Perhaps applying magnesium oil to my legs has helped. I was taking ibobrufen before bed, to help with this, but I haven’t felt the need to do this the past few nights. I was waking with headaches in the morning, so I have stopped applying the magnesium oil to my neck. I haven’t woke with a head ache the past few mornings. 

Where are you with your taper?  Are you symptoms manageable? 

I have been doing good. However, I made a small reduction to my AD’s yesterday, today my head is a bit foggy and ringing. I will try to sleep through my taper as much as possible! I fell asleep last night to the following, I slept all night! 

It’s fine to ask about My “male friend” he is only slightly filling a gap in my life at the moment, I have only seen him once in 4 weeks. I am doing well

in weighing up the positives and the negatives about being involved with him. But still, like you, the loneliness. I try to say to myself it won’t be forever. Day by day things will change, and with our new found experiences we must surely be destined for some happiness.  

It means so much having contact with you and others. Sending you a hug and hang on in there girl 😘

UnfoldingSky

Hi Nelly, how did your weekend go?  I hope you are doing well.  I do agree with you, about needing to protect ourselves.  I find more and more that I don't wish to share with people I meet in real life thinking of the rejection that might ensue.  I think I'm constantly plagued by low self-esteem too. Sometimes I can feel okay about myself but then I go out into the world and I find so many people that seem to have a kind of self-confidence I really don't have, and then it makes me feel badly again.  Part of it stems from what the psychiatric drugs have done to me.  I had a very bad reaction to one of them, and from that experienced things I never thought possible, just altogether too much suffering.  It has greatly affected my confidence in that now I worry that if such things were possible, what else is there out there that could befall me?  And then too the pills caused memory issues, I'm very much improved over where I was but still not a hundred percent.  It is very hard to feel confident when you have memory slips like I have.  My only consolation is that I have occasionally met others whose memory is not great either, not that I like that this happens to anyone, but there are so many other people in a similar predicament that I at least don't feel isolated in that regard.  

And then of course my self-esteem was lowered also by poor treatment by some of the not-so-nice people I have known too...  

About my odd restless left leg, it just feels kind of "wiggly" if that makes any sense. Like I need to move it around a lot, it's very hard to explain.  I just can't understand why just the left leg?  It's almost like my left leg had too much caffeine!  ha ha  It occurred to me the other day that I often sit with my weight on that leg, and maybe it's doing something that leads to this feeling.  I know, I must sound like I'm grasping at straws here...I haven't tried painkillers, unfortunately after the reaction I had to an antidepressant I basically have become pretty sensitive to a lot of medications, so I try to avoid them as much as I can.  I think though that maybe I will try magnesium oil that sounds like a good idea, thank you for mentioning it.  I am glad to hear your jumpy leg issue has improved! 

As far as tapering is concerned I've been off pills for a while now.  I am still around here though because of the memory issue, also to try to help out where I can.  And because I'm trying to work through the secondary damage taking these pills has caused me, in terms of how it affected my relationships, ability to work etc.  I still have a few health issues that are probably at least partly related to the pills I took but have improved quite a lot.  I was forced to cold turkey the last antidepressant I was on, told to really, due to the bad reaction I had had. I didn't know at the time what that would do but it did not go well. And because I had had the reaction, I didn't think it would work out to restart and try to taper. Then they had put me on other pills to deal with the effects of the reaction and withdrawal, and that did not work out very well either. Among other things they hugely worsened the memory problem.  My taper wound up being off a benzodiazepine given to me for the issues the pills caused.  I did make it though! It was not nearly as difficult as I had thought it would be, thankfully with the help of another site online I was able to fully withdraw from them.   I can attest these things are doable.  I did a very long time ago also taper off an AD I had taken, so not just saying this applies only to benzos.  That taper did go smoothly no issues at all from that one that I can recall.

I think sleeping through the taper is a good plan! It's one I heartily endorse, I'm a big fan of sleeping. :)  I hope the foggy head issue and ringing were short-lived? And that the taper is going well otherwise too.

I really hope we are destined for good things to happen to us.  I hope that we are not as lonely going forward too.  I have heard someone say before that we are never technically alone, because there is always some form of life around us, that helps me a bit sometimes.  But it can be hard when you are lonely in human terms.  Sometimes being around people can make me feel more lonely if they don't seem to understand where I am coming from, or, worse, just are not nice people to be around. It is so nice to come here and speak to you and others who are empathetic and caring.  From what i am hearing from some TV shows I have seen lately we have a major loneliness epidemic going on so ironically we are all in this loneliness together.

And thank you so much for that video!  I played it while trying to sleep and it worked like a charm.  So very soothing!  Sending you lots of hugs back too, and hope to hear from you soon.  :)

Nelly
On 9/30/2019 at 6:29 AM, UnfoldingSky said:

Hi Nelly, how did your weekend go?  I hope you are doing well.  I do agree with you, about needing to protect ourselves.  I find more and more that I don't wish to share with people I meet in real life thinking of the rejection that might ensue.  I think I'm constantly plagued by low self-esteem too. Sometimes I can feel okay about myself but then I go out into the world and I find so many people that seem to have a kind of self-confidence I really don't have, and then it makes me feel badly again.  Part of it stems from what the psychiatric drugs have done to me.  I had a very bad reaction to one of them, and from that experienced things I never thought possible, just altogether too much suffering.  It has greatly affected my confidence in that now I worry that if such things were possible, what else is there out there that could befall me?  And then too the pills caused memory issues, I'm very much improved over where I was but still not a hundred percent.  It is very hard to feel confident when you have memory slips like I have.  My only consolation is that I have occasionally met others whose memory is not great either, not that I like that this happens to anyone, but there are so many other people in a similar predicament that I at least don't feel isolated in that regard.  

And then of course my self-esteem was lowered also by poor treatment by some of the not-so-nice people I have known too...  

About my odd restless left leg, it just feels kind of "wiggly" if that makes any sense. Like I need to move it around a lot, it's very hard to explain.  I just can't understand why just the left leg?  It's almost like my left leg had too much caffeine!  ha ha  It occurred to me the other day that I often sit with my weight on that leg, and maybe it's doing something that leads to this feeling.  I know, I must sound like I'm grasping at straws here...I haven't tried painkillers, unfortunately after the reaction I had to an antidepressant I basically have become pretty sensitive to a lot of medications, so I try to avoid them as much as I can.  I think though that maybe I will try magnesium oil that sounds like a good idea, thank you for mentioning it.  I am glad to hear your jumpy leg issue has improved! 

As far as tapering is concerned I've been off pills for a while now.  I am still around here though because of the memory issue, also to try to help out where I can.  And because I'm trying to work through the secondary damage taking these pills has caused me, in terms of how it affected my relationships, ability to work etc.  I still have a few health issues that are probably at least partly related to the pills I took but have improved quite a lot.  I was forced to cold turkey the last antidepressant I was on, told to really, due to the bad reaction I had had. I didn't know at the time what that would do but it did not go well. And because I had had the reaction, I didn't think it would work out to restart and try to taper. Then they had put me on other pills to deal with the effects of the reaction and withdrawal, and that did not work out very well either. Among other things they hugely worsened the memory problem.  My taper wound up being off a benzodiazepine given to me for the issues the pills caused.  I did make it though! It was not nearly as difficult as I had thought it would be, thankfully with the help of another site online I was able to fully withdraw from them.   I can attest these things are doable.  I did a very long time ago also taper off an AD I had taken, so not just saying this applies only to benzos.  That taper did go smoothly no issues at all from that one that I can recall.

I think sleeping through the taper is a good plan! It's one I heartily endorse, I'm a big fan of sleeping. :)  I hope the foggy head issue and ringing were short-lived? And that the taper is going well otherwise too.

I really hope we are destined for good things to happen to us.  I hope that we are not as lonely going forward too.  I have heard someone say before that we are never technically alone, because there is always some form of life around us, that helps me a bit sometimes.  But it can be hard when you are lonely in human terms.  Sometimes being around people can make me feel more lonely if they don't seem to understand where I am coming from, or, worse, just are not nice people to be around. It is so nice to come here and speak to you and others who are empathetic and caring.  From what i am hearing from some TV shows I have seen lately we have a major loneliness epidemic going on so ironically we are all in this loneliness together.

And thank you so much for that video!  I played it while trying to sleep and it worked like a charm.  So very soothing!  Sending you lots of hugs back too, and hope to hear from you soon.  :)

Hi UnfoldingSky

Thank you for your message. I spent most of the weekend on my own. I keep doing that, and it’s not good for me. I thought I was doing ok, but tonight I have had an emotional outburst. I keep saying it will pass, but how many times?! How are you now that you are off all psych meds? I did have jumping legs last night, I took 400mg of Ibobrufen and a hot water bottle and my teddy! And of course Daisy my dog close by! How is your leg now?  I have stopped applying magnesium oil to my neck, and i no longer wake with a head ache.  

If i am not careful, I may get depressed. I really do need to take positive action to avoid this before it takes a hold. Unless it is a wave and soon I will have got through it. I have minimal other symptoms at the moment. I continue to reduce my intake of sugar and carbs. I feel so in need of some affection that I would tolerate someone who isn’t good for me right now. My need for love has always had a massive affect on my emotions. And i am feeling it right now. I suppose it is something that I will always struggle with. The foggy head and ringing comes and goes but it is manageable. I must say, I don’t like life, it is too difficult and always has been. I did get some ironing done tonight, but I am not feeling very motivated. Receiving your message helped me feel better and knowing that someone is there is a great help. I don’t reach out to people when I am feeling this way, despite having people that I could call, I don’t.  I do hope that you are doing ok and having some nice times. I am pleased you liked the video and that it helped. Good night xx

UnfoldingSky

Nelly, I am sorry your night was bad the other night. I was having a bad night too that night.  One of my family members started an argument with me and another family member, was not a good night.  It could be the outburst you had is from withdrawal.  Not to minimize it or anything and I could be wrong, maybe that is not it, but psych drugs can really hold a lot of sway over how people feel.  I know when I was in cold turkey withdrawal  I was not remotely "me".  Of course you are tapering though so hopefully things will be easier than I had it.  As far as how I am doing now, way way better than when I first came off. 

You know I totally forgot that for my restless leg I used to use a small weighted heating pad to pin it under, so that I could sleep properly.  Tonight it's not acting up, though, I know as soon as I stop writing it probably will...  Do you have difficulty with sleep because of the jumpiness? If so a heavy heating pad  might be another avenue to handle it.  It's good to hear you have stopped having headaches.  And glad to hear your Daisy is keeping you company. I saw a photo of Daisy (can't find where that was now or would comment on that thread) she is so sweet!  

I totally understand where you are coming from about wanting affection to the point that you'd tolerate bad company. I think I did "bad company rather than no company"  a good half of my life!  On the loneliness front here I finally caved, and I called one of the older men I know.  The last time we spoke there had been a misunderstanding, but I was not sure if he was still upset with me over it, so had avoided calling.  However it seems it's all cleared up, and I may go out to meet up with him.

Though I'm not sure how to handle this as i don't want to date him...back at square one with that again.  It would be nice to just have some company as we have some things in common.

I hear you about life being too difficult too.  I have had so many hard things happen to me, just altogether too much stress.  And I can relate as well about not reaching out to people, more and more I am like this, I just have had so many bad responses when I am needing emotional support from people I know in real life, that I can hardly see a point in doing it.  I don't know if you have found that as well?   I am glad though to be able to talk to you, you know it seems such a simple thing for other people to just listen and be supportive yet in real life so many people at least where I am don't seem to be able to manage that well (if at all sometimes.)  You have a rare quality I think then, in being so understanding.  I hope things are going better since you last wrote and if not feel free to come and talk if you need to.  I know we don't know each other very well but I don't like the idea of you struggling along alone.  And let us know how the taper is going.  Hugs to you and give Daisy a pat on the head from me too.  Thinking of you,  US

KindredSpiritKanada

I don't discuss the topic of no medication with any of my family or even my closest friend anymore. They all believe psyche drugs are as safe as water and if I'm feeling depressed, I should go back on an SSRI/SNRI! I have tried to explain to them that meditation and allowing myself the time to heal will work out best in the end, yet I sense their bitterness at that suggestion. The best I could do in my shoes as it is was to slowly taper off on St. Johns Wort, as after my last supervised taper from Cipralex I have an overwhelming phobia of leaving my house for long periods most days, let alone going to see a psychiatrist. I'm trying to keep my contact with unsupportive people to a bare minimum, and telling myself that if they hold it against me that I don't share their worldview, when they haven't even been on a psyche drug themselves, so be it.

It's tough . When I feel better able to cope I will probably find more supportive people who aren't so easily brainwashed by social media/The News, who don't still believe in the chemical imbalance theories.

UnfoldingSky
On 10/5/2019 at 2:29 PM, KindredSpiritKanada said:

I don't discuss the topic of no medication with any of my family or even my closest friend anymore. They all believe psyche drugs are as safe as water and if I'm feeling depressed, I should go back on an SSRI/SNRI! I have tried to explain to them that meditation and allowing myself the time to heal will work out best in the end, yet I sense their bitterness at that suggestion. The best I could do in my shoes as it is was to slowly taper off on St. Johns Wort, as after my last supervised taper from Cipralex I have an overwhelming phobia of leaving my house for long periods most days, let alone going to see a psychiatrist. I'm trying to keep my contact with unsupportive people to a bare minimum, and telling myself that if they hold it against me that I don't share their worldview, when they haven't even been on a psyche drug themselves, so be it.

It's tough . When I feel better able to cope I will probably find more supportive people who aren't so easily brainwashed by social media/The News, who don't still believe in the chemical imbalance theories.

I think you have a wise strategy here in not telling them what's going on.  Hopefully that will help minimize stress for you.  I wish I had had that option myself.  I had a bad reaction to antidepressants and because I went to hospital about it people found out.  Then with the cat out of the bag suddenly everyone I knew offline was a medical doctor, and telling me what to do, or "what really happened".  Meanwhile doctors had diagnosed adverse reaction and then later withdrawal, but even then some I knew somehow knew better that it was all really "me" or just me making things up even.  It was so hard to deal with.  I think a lot of people here have run into at least one person who was not supportive or understanding.  I wish things were different.