SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Chicago77: tapered off Lexapro ... still have bad withdrawal symptoms

Chicago77

• Moderator Emeritus

Much of that should go away.  Brassmonkey talks about "withdrawal normal," which means that for an extended period of time you aren't having oscillations of symptoms, might not feel perfect but not unstable.  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chicago77

• LexAnger

• Blondiee1915

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Chicago - you are not alone:

Did anyone else develop chronic fatigue with withdrawal? 

Yep, and more.  Sometimes withdrawal looks very much like an autoimmune disorder or chronic condition, like Hashimotos, ME, ALS, Lupus, fibromyalgia, or even MS:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6722-auto-immune-diseases-triggered-by-ssri-withdrawal/

and

Now I have terrible muscle pain in a lot of my body as well. Ugh! I have fibromyalgia symptoms. Heaviness, pain, fatigue, burning feeling and brain fog. I wonder if I'm going to be left in this state now that I'm off Lexapro. Has anyone else felt like this? 

Yes, and sometimes it looks like, feels like, acts like the flu, too.  We call it "withdrawal flu."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8632-flu-like-wd-vs-a-flu-like-virus-how-to-tell/

You can check your symptoms against this list:   http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

and you can print several copies to track your own progress as your withdrawal changes while you heal.  Don't be surprised if your symptoms change - just check to see if they are on this list of common symptoms, and if they are not - ask.  

Oh yes, healing happens irregularly - fits and starts -   Waves and Windows

So if it feels like you are getting worse, just think of it as a "detour" while the road works are being repaired.  It's frustrating, but symptoms are your body trying to heal itself.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks JanCarol. I haven't seen a lot of my symptoms in a couple of months, except I'm left with widespread muscle/nerve pain, burning skin and fatigue. The anxiety, heart palpitations. numbing/tingling, have been gone for 2 months. My brain fog has improved significantly as well. It's this damn pain/burning feeling. I just hope I have one day around the corner where it's not there. It's every day for me.  :( Will it eventually get less intense, stop spreading and just fade away?

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

Oh and cracking/popping of a lot joints which is so strange...

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

• 2 months later...

I'm 7 months off Lexapro and have a couple new symptoms in the last month, which I'm not certain are even a result from withdrawal. Still haven't had a "window" with no symptoms yet. It's so hard to tell sometimes what is withdrawal and what may be something more serious.  :(  The newest symptoms I have is numbness in pinky and ring finger on my left hand, feeling of a lump in my throat that moves down to my chest(this is scary...maybe a muscle?). Anything to do with the chest is scary! 

Can anyone explain to me why all my joints are cracking/popping all the time, especially in my elbows? I never had this before and all my joints, again mainly elbows are stiff. I read the "stiff joints" thread, but no one seems to talk about cracking/popping everywhere.  I can understand how the CNS effects other symptoms I have like; burning skin, tremors, numbness, etc. However, the cracking/popping of the joints(they hurt too) doesn't make sense to me. It seems more like arthritis or something. Is this really part of withdrawal? I'm hoping one of you experts out there, can help explain this!  :)

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I wanted to give an update since it's been awhile. I'm a little over 8 months since my last dose of Lexapro. Surprisingly, I wasn't doing too that bad the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it was necessarily a "window" because I still had symptoms, but my muscle pain and burning skin have decreased tremendously. I still had other symptoms though, but like I said I they were waaaaay less intense and I actually felt I could function pretty well. However, yesterday I woke up and the severe fatigue and brain fog were back and haven't left. The fatigue(and I mean exhaustion) and brain fog is like it was in the beginning with acute withdrawal. Almost like that drunk, lethargic feeling. Can't focus on anything at all, which makes is extremely hard to work. I also have tightness in my chest, but I can tell it's not from anxiety. This is different. It feels like that lump in my throat is back and someone is sitting on my chest. I have a NEW SYMPTOM too!! I didn't even realize you could get new symptoms after 8 months. I feel a nerve that goes from my ankle all the way up the back of my left leg to my lower back. It's not painful, just sensitive. I have no idea if this is even part of WD or something else. Never felt anything like that before. 

My questions are, when do new symptoms stop appearing? Also, can the chronic fatigue and brain fog be this bad after 8 months? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Symptoms stop appearing when your CNS is no longer making changes. The timeline of your CNS's restoration plan is invisible to mortal humans. We don't have the ability to predict what happens next and when.

Yes, a wave of symptoms 8 months after your last dose can be bad/intense. Sad to tell you that, but it's true.  If you've had several weeks of decreasing symptoms, this wave will almost certainly ebb into another window of more manageable, tolerable symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

I promise all of you when I'm recovered, I will come back and write about it. It's the least I can do, especially when so many people on this site have helped me thus far in my journey. It's been truly hell and I think we all want to read a positive story when you are in the midst of all of this. It's so hard for the people around you to understand what you are going through because they are not living it. Honestly, if I wasn't going through this, then I wouldn't probably understand either. It's here that we come looking for answers, hope, support. It's the success stories that give us that hope when you REALLY need it. If anyone is reading this post in 2018 or 2019(assuming I'm recovered by then), I PROMISE you will see a success story from me on here. I hope that anyone else that is reading this does the same when they are recovered. It's important to give back and share your success with others who are still suffering. Then after that, go live your life and enjoy every moment of it SSRI free!!! You deserve it! :D

Why do you think you won't recover for years?

Edited by scallywag
moved from a Success Story thread

in Aug 2014, prescribed 20 mg of escitalopram.  Oct 2014, upped to 30 mg.

In January 2016, "doctor" added 2mg of Abilify

I had been taking .5 Xanax in AM and PM for a few years

Xanax November 23rd, 2016 .25   5 times per day

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

I cold turkeyed off escitalopram and Abilify on September 4, 2016

i crosses over to 1 mg of Klonopin in Dec 2016. 

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

I don't know if it will take me years to recover and I truly hope it doesn't! I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself in case it does take years. I will say though, I have seen improvements. I'm so glad I made a list of my symptoms from the beginning and added any new ones that came along, It's helped me see what has disappeared and/or improved so far. For example, my pain and burning skin. Back in August 2016 it was so severe. I was walking around with a heating pad and ice packs for my burning skin. Now, I still have it but it comes and goes and isn't as intense. That's a big improvement to me!  :)  Pain is a terrible thing. Now I'm struggling with severe fatigue and brain fog. These are my worst symptoms right now. It's been very difficult to hold onto my job during all this. I can barely focus and concentrate on anything. Never had this problem before I got off Lexapro. Basically, I have fibromyalgia symptoms. Anyway, sorry for the rant.  :)  I do hope I get better before 3 or 4 years. I want it more than anything! I just know that whenever I am fully recovered, I will definitely try to help other and write a success story.

I am wishing you the best. I am going through hell now from quitting generic Lexapro Cold Turkey. I want to follow your progress. I hope you continue to post.

Took .5 Ativan in AM and .5 Ativan in PM 10 hours apart for 2 weeks and 2 days. I stopped Ativan on Nov 4th 2016

Since withdrawal, I have occasionally taken 10mg or 20mg propranolol when my heart was pounding uncontrollably

Supplements Magnesium, Vitamin C, Natural Calm magnesium drink.  Just started  11/16/16 Lactium supplement 167mg at night.

Godiswithme: I'm very scared   Godiswithme: Xanax taper after cold-turkey of Lexapro and Abilify

Jan 2017. Slowly reinstated Lexapro over 4-5 mos to 15mg. Have stayed on that amount. 

Sept 2017. Started tapering 1mg of Klonopin. As of May 2017, I am at .426 mg of Klonopin split into 2 doses per day. 

I was on generic too. I know it truly is hell and it's so hard for people to understand what we go through on a daily basis. 4 months ago I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I felt like I was dying. Today, I see a little light starting to shine through. It's getting a little better. What are your current symptoms? 

Chicago. That is a positive post. I hope you keep heading towards the light.  :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I was on generic too. I know it truly is hell and it's so hard for people to understand what we go through on a daily basis. 4 months ago I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I felt like I was dying. Today, I see a little light starting to shine through. It's getting a little better. What are your current symptoms?

Unbearable anxiety. I don't know what to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about the "windows and waves" pattern. So far I haven't had any days with no symptoms. I've had days or hours where my symptoms have been less intense, but I'm never without at least 4 or 5 symptoms. I have noticed when I look back at my notes from a couple of months ago, the pain and burning skin was intense. Even when I re-read my thread, those days were so bad. Every single day from March 2016 to Sept 2016 I had to take epsom salt baths, use heating pads, ice packs for my burning skin. I still have muscle pain and burning skin but instead of it being a 9 out of 10 like it was for those months its more of a 4 out of 10. Is this considered a window? Will I eventually have a day with no symptoms and then go back to symptoms but at less intensity in a wave? It just seems like my story is different from everyone else's. I go from symptoms being more intense to less intense, but that's it. I would love to hear from anyone who has insight! :D  

windows - a period of time with no symptoms at all could be 10 minutes, an hour, a day, or even one week everyone is different

waves - as the word suggests a period of time with waves of withdrawal symptoms

This past six months, the only window I've experienced has been the one hour window twice.  That's it  :wacko:

In my case my symptoms were always at full force with the most predominant symptom bothering me up the wall.

Because of this predominant symptom at full force bothering me, I'd have to scan my body going through each symptom to realize

that specific symptom has passed.  

In my case, because of this predominant symptom constantly bothering me, I rarely get windows.

2010 - had my first full blown panic attack started on alprazolam 0.5 mg
2011 - was told by doc to try AD along with benzo to control panic attack and anxiety lexapro 20 mg alprazolam 2.0 mg
2012 - was told by doc to switch out medication paxil 40 mg clonazepam 2.0 mg
Mar 2016 - made the jump to cymbalta 60 mg clonazepam 2.0 mg
July 2016 - got sick and tired of taking meds finally decided to cold turkey meds

- BE HERE NOW -

My Intro

Chicago77,

I'm so happy for your recent improvement with the pain and burning sensation! Those are very delibedating symptoms and I have had it for years.

I think window is when the symptoms are either gone or lessened in severity, and overall feeling better, not necessarily no symptoms at all.

Sending more healing vibes to your,

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Windows are a transient thing that give you relief for a few minutes to a few weeks. They can range from feeling great to just a big lessening of your symptoms, like you mentioned above.  The swings from harsh symptoms to mild symptoms and back again is a variation of the windows and waves pattern.  When I started having windows my first several lasted about fifteen minutes and it wasn't until several hours later that I realized that it had happened.  Windows are great for giving a person a break from the constant attack of symptoms.

But what you are experiencing is so much more important!!  What you describe later in your post is a significant improvement in your WDnormal baseline (how you feel on average over an extended time), and that's a big deal.  It shows that your body is healing and improving with time.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

windows - a period of time with no symptoms at all could be 10 minutes, an hour, a day, or even one week everyone is different

waves - as the word suggests a period of time with waves of withdrawal symptoms

This past six months, the only window I've experienced has been the one hour window twice.  That's it  :wacko:

In my case my symptoms were always at full force with the most predominant symptom bothering me up the wall.

Because of this predominant symptom at full force bothering me, I'd have to scan my body going through each symptom to realize

that specific symptom has passed.  

In my case, because of this predominant symptom constantly bothering me, I rarely get windows.

WhySSRI, 

What are your symptoms?

Chicago77,

I'm so happy for your recent improvement with the pain and burning sensation! Those are very delibedating symptoms and I have had it for years.

I think window is when the symptoms are either gone or lessened in severity, and overall feeling better, not necessarily no symptoms at all.

Sending more healing vibes to your,

Thanks LexAnger! So sorry you have had pain and burning for so long. It truly is terrible. Have you seen any improvements with your symptoms at all? Have any of yours disappeared? 

But what you are experiencing is so much more important!!  What you describe later in your post is a significant improvement in your WDnormal baseline (how you feel on average over an extended time), and that's a big deal.  It shows that your body is healing and improving with time.

Thanks Brassmonkey! So what you are saying is your WD normal baseline is when your "worst" is no longer the same "worst" you had before? Even though the symptoms are bad they aren't AS bad as before when they are flared up, so that's my new WD baseline? Will things then continue to improve over time or can they get worse?

That's pretty much it.  It's the average feeling over a series of months. Not the worst,and not the best, but over all seeing an improvement.  There will be ups and downs, but it's the overall trend we need to look at.  Looking back and being able to say  "I'm feeling better then I did six months ago".  Over time the process should accelerate so you can see improvements month to month maybe even week to week. Some people go as far as making actual graphs to watch their progress.  They assign various symptoms a value for each week and record it on a chart.  The way you rated the pain and burning as improving from 8/10 to 4/10 would plot on a graph to show a steady improvement. 

There will always be down turns so I can't say things won't get worse.  Tapering/recovery is a two step forward one step back sort of thing.  Which makes it so frustrating. But I have yet to fine someone who doesn't improve over time.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

That's pretty much it.  It's the average feeling over a series of months. Not the worst,and not the best, but over all seeing an improvement.  There will be ups and downs, but it's the overall trend we need to look at.  Looking back and being able to say  "I'm feeling better then I did six months ago".  Over time the process should accelerate so you can see improvements month to month maybe even week to week. Some people go as far as making actual graphs to watch their progress.  They assign various symptoms a value for each week and record it on a chart.  The way you rated the pain and burning as improving from 8/10 to 4/10 would plot on a graph to show a steady improvement. 

There will always be down turns so I can't say things won't get worse.  Tapering/recovery is a two step forward one step back sort of thing.  Which makes it so frustrating. But I have yet to fine someone who doesn't improve over time.

This makes total sense and I really appreciate it. It makes me feel like I'm still healing...I'm still improving even though I haven't had any symptom free windows yet. That I'm not doomed to have a 8 year WD. The graph analogy is interesting too. I kind of wish I did something like that from the beginning. My boyfriend is a financial analyst so he would have enjoyed making a graph out of my symptoms. HAHA!  :D

Hi Chicargo77,

I found the needling pain is more from WD. Each time I cut I will have it soon in couple days then in another day or two when the drug side effects are in control I would have severe DR, brain dead etc while the needling and other pain will subside. As I have been cutting typing dose every day or two, the two main sets of symptoms alternate.

I know if I can hold long the pain and needling will be much less but I don't have that option anymore ever since the drug reaction from a dose increase. The drug reaction is catching up faster and faster seems I can never outpace it by cutting. I'm now cutting everyday 1%.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to stop by and wish all my SA friends a Merry Christmas! I'm sure Christmas is much different than it was before for most of us. WD doesn't pause for us even though it's the holiday season, but hopefully we can find some moments of joy and happiness. My symptoms have been very flared up the last few days, which makes it difficult to be present with my family. Mainly physical symptoms, but I'm just trying my hardest to not let WD win. Anyway, thinking of all of you today and hopefully, by next year we will all be recovered!  :)

• Mentor

hoping your journey to healing continues to progress and that soon you will be totally recovered :)

happy holidays!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

WD at Christmastime is just not fair but all we can do is keep going - lets hope 2017 sees some good improvement in your symptoms.

Best Wishes for the New Year!

xxxxx Flowers 

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thank you so much for posting on my page. I very much appreciated the info.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Chicago -

I wanted to check in and see how you are doing ? Did your fatigue improved ?

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Hi Blondiee, 

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with fatigue, but if I look back to where I was 6 months ago, it's definitely better! It's hard sometimes to evaluate my progress on a daily basis. I try to look back a few months ago and see where I was in order to see progress. My main symptoms now are Fibromyalgia type symptoms. Brain fog-although I've noticed some improvement. For example, I wasn't able to focus or concentrate on anything for longer than 3 mins 6 months ago. Now I can focus for an hour on something before needing to take a break. I NEVER had concentration problems before. Fatigue- 6 months ago I felt like an elephant was literally standing on top of me all the time, crushing my body and brain. Now, the elephant is gone and it's more like a cat standing on my brain, making me tired and sleepy.  :) Again, this is not the tiredness normal people get. It's like your brain shuts down. I'm sure you know what I mean. I still have widespread body pain, although the intensity has gone from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10. That's a win in my book! I also have burning skin that comes and goes and blurry vision. I have a few other symptoms, but they aren't terrible and come and go. I know doctos like to say these type of Fibro symptoms are caused by anxiety, but I have zero anxiety and don't believe that one bit! I know myself very well and I know what anxiety feels like. This isn't caused by that!  I do still get scared that I'm going to be stuck like this and that these symptoms aren't going to go away, but I'm trying my hardest to remain calm and positive. For me, what helps the most is reading stories from others that had similar symptoms that are fully recovered now. Those are true testimonies of success and I hope to be able to write my success story one day!  :D

Hi Chicago -

Hi Blondiee, 

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with fatigue, but if I look back to where I was 6 months ago, it's definitely better! It's hard sometimes to evaluate my progress on a daily basis. I try to look back a few months ago and see where I was in order to see progress. My main symptoms now are Fibromyalgia type symptoms. Brain fog-although I've noticed some improvement. For example, I wasn't able to focus or concentrate on anything for longer than 3 mins 6 months ago. Now I can focus for an hour on something before needing to take a break. I NEVER had concentration problems before. Fatigue- 6 months ago I felt like an elephant was literally standing on top of me all the time, crushing my body and brain. Now, the elephant is gone and it's more like a cat standing on my brain, making me tired and sleepy.   :) Again, this is not the tiredness normal people get. It's like your brain shuts down. I'm sure you know what I mean. I still have widespread body pain, although the intensity has gone from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10. That's a win in my book! I also have burning skin that comes and goes and blurry vision. I have a few other symptoms, but they aren't terrible and come and go. I know doctors like to say these type of Fibro symptoms are caused by anxiety, but I have zero anxiety and don't believe that one bit! I know myself very well and I know what anxiety feels like. This isn't caused by that!  I do still get scared that I'm going to be stuck like this and that these symptoms aren't going to go away, but I'm trying my hardest to remain calm and positive. For me, what helps the most is reading stories from others that had similar symptoms that are fully recovered now. Those are true testimonies of success and I hope to be able to write my success story one day!   :D

Hi Chicago77,

Wow, I know how much you went through the past 10 months and how strong you have proven the world you are, I want to congratulate you for surviving this most horrendous time and am very happy to know the improvement you are having!

The symptoms fibromyalgia, burning, brain shutting down, heaviness, blurred vision are also main set of symptoms I live with everyday for years especailly since my big drop of dose the past few months.

4 out of 10 is definitely a huge win in the pain department, and that burning ( became a real acid trip for me) is a hell by itself, so come and go is also a nice improvement.

You mentioned earlier that you were able to keep the job, have you been working all these time going through the severe symptoms?

You should be really proud of yourself getting to where you are now. I know too well how much strength it takes getting through each day with that much severe agony!

Hat off to you and hugs,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Hi Chicago -

Hi Blondiee, 

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with fatigue, but if I look back to where I was 6 months ago, it's definitely better! It's hard sometimes to evaluate my progress on a daily basis. I try to look back a few months ago and see where I was in order to see progress. My main symptoms now are Fibromyalgia type symptoms. Brain fog-although I've noticed some improvement. For example, I wasn't able to focus or concentrate on anything for longer than 3 mins 6 months ago. Now I can focus for an hour on something before needing to take a break. I NEVER had concentration problems before. Fatigue- 6 months ago I felt like an elephant was literally standing on top of me all the time, crushing my body and brain. Now, the elephant is gone and it's more like a cat standing on my brain, making me tired and sleepy.   :) Again, this is not the tiredness normal people get. It's like your brain shuts down. I'm sure you know what I mean. I still have widespread body pain, although the intensity has gone from a 9 out of 10 to a 4 out of 10. That's a win in my book! I also have burning skin that comes and goes and blurry vision. I have a few other symptoms, but they aren't terrible and come and go. I know doctors like to say these type of Fibro symptoms are caused by anxiety, but I have zero anxiety and don't believe that one bit! I know myself very well and I know what anxiety feels like. This isn't caused by that!  I do still get scared that I'm going to be stuck like this and that these symptoms aren't going to go away, but I'm trying my hardest to remain calm and positive. For me, what helps the most is reading stories from others that had similar symptoms that are fully recovered now. Those are true testimonies of success and I hope to be able to write my success story one day!   :D

Hi Chicago, 

You are doing really well.  A cat is much better than an elephant ;) 4 for body pain on a scale of 10 is a great improvement.  It is great you are staying positive and concentrate on the progress.  

My fatigue is weird.  I constantly have it, but few days I have it very bad (elephant sitting on me and I just want to fall asleep while walking) and I had few days where my fatigue was not as intense (cat?).  I am trying to figure out if I am doing anything to cause this, diet, stress etc, but cannot really pin point it to anything. Just have to accept it and be positive.  Better to have a few mild days than none. 

I also have that fibromialgia pain,  have this weird sensation down by leg, it feels sensitive and nerve like pain.  I switched to another SSRI a month ago, I def feel lexapro WD side effects and some of the new meds side effects, so it is hard to figure out what is what.

Are you doing anything for your anxiety?  I know you said you know this is not anxiety as you know what it feels like.  My concern is that I have this thought that all of my symptoms are anxiety related.  Maybe bc I have heard it so many times from my doctor.  I am tired - its your anxiety,  dizzy - anxiety, ears ringing - anxiety and so on.  Just trying to see what everyone is doing as far as coping with anxiety.  Did you experience dizziness too?

B.

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Hi Chicago77,

Wow, I know how much you went through the past 10 months and how strong you have proven the world you are, I want to congratulate you for surviving this most horrendous time and am very happy to know the improvement you are having!

The symptoms fibromyalgia, burning, brain shutting down, heaviness, blurred vision are also main set of symptoms I live with everyday for years especailly since my big drop of dose the past few months.

4 out of 10 is definitely a huge win in the pain department, and that burning ( became a real acid trip for me) is a hell by itself, so come and go is also a nice improvement.

You mentioned earlier that you were able to keep the job, have you been working all these time going through the severe symptoms?

You should be really proud of yourself getting to where you are now. I know too well how much strength it takes getting through each day with that much severe agony!

Hat off to you and hugs,

Lex

Thanks LexAnger! Your message means so much to me! Ugh, I'm sorry that you have gone through years with those symptoms.  :( They are truly terrible. How much further do you have with your taper? 

I have been working the whole time, but don't ask me how I was able to keep my job!  :D I'm a Corporate Recruiter and I honestly thought I was going to get fired soon many times in the last year. Heck, at times I thought I couldn't take it anymore and was just going to quit, although I don't know how I would have survived. I'm single, so I pay all the bills myself. It's been such a struggle. I remember staring at my computer one day for 8 hours, not being able to do any work. I couldn't concentrate, focus, remember anything! My brain was mush. I still have brain fog, but I'm noticing that it's gradually improving. 

I feel for anyone going through this hell. It's by far the toughest thing I've ever endured. I really hope you are healing and hopefully one day we can all look back at this time in our life and think "Wow! That time in my life really showed how strong I am and I can get through anything."

Hi Chicago -

Hi Blondiee, 

Hi Chicago, 

You are doing really well.  A cat is much better than an elephant ;) 4 for body pain on a scale of 10 is a great improvement.  It is great you are staying positive and concentrate on the progress.  

My fatigue is weird.  I constantly have it, but few days I have it very bad (elephant sitting on me and I just want to fall asleep while walking) and I had few days where my fatigue was not as intense (cat?).  I am trying to figure out if I am doing anything to cause this, diet, stress etc, but cannot really pin point it to anything. Just have to accept it and be positive.  Better to have a few mild days than none. 

I also have that fibromialgia pain,  have this weird sensation down by leg, it feels sensitive and nerve like pain.  I switched to another SSRI a month ago, I def feel lexapro WD side effects and some of the new meds side effects, so it is hard to figure out what is what.

Are you doing anything for your anxiety?  I know you said you know this is not anxiety as you know what it feels like.  My concern is that I have this thought that all of my symptoms are anxiety related.  Maybe bc I have heard it so many times from my doctor.  I am tired - its your anxiety,  dizzy - anxiety, ears ringing - anxiety and so on.  Just trying to see what everyone is doing as far as coping with anxiety.  Did you experience dizziness too?

B.

Hi Blondiee, 

I really hope your fatigue starts to improve and I really think it will once your CNS settles down a bit. For me, I really don't think my symptoms are from anxiety. I know how doctors love to blame anxiety on everything. However, I'm not saying you or anyone else isn't feeling anxiety. I truly believe a lot of people are and I definitely had all of it the first 6 months. I just don't have it anymore. I had dizziness too and I still get a little dizzy from time to time. I'm just really hoping I see some bigger improvements this year....but we shall see.  :)

Hi chicago77,

I would give you a big hug in person if I could. You set a great example for me and everyone!

That's exactly what I would tell ppl about how did I keep the job! Same here, I'm single too so staying strong and hold is the only choice. I have been thinking the same all these year especially the past week since I dropped one step from 0.9 to 0.2 mg. as you can see in my signature, I'm at 0.2mg right now, was hoping to spend another year from 0.9 down to zero but had to jump due to severe reaction. So now I'm in the deepest water ever with WD. On top of the long term symptoms I got the most severe flu like symptoms for 2 days, and the muscle weakness (couple times literally felt half my body is non existing, super scary and I was freaking out ), general sick feeling and overal unwell. I can barely get out of the house, but strangely I can still get some work done on the computer even in a half coma like status, hard to believe. When my vision is too blurry then it's impossible as I couldn't see anything on the screen. I'm lucky I can work from home most days and I can work flexible hours. I tried to dial in for all meetings as I know I will look too abnormal if present in person.

My brain actually started working better lately since getting down to 0.2mg as before my brain was not functional lots times due to drug reaction. I feel the WD I got from the big cut is more physical.

Yes, let's count the day when we can look back this whole nightmare! I am looking forward to the declaration of your full freedom and recovery!

Please keep us updated. Your healing is very encouraging to me!

Hugs,

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Hi chicago77,

I would give you a big hug in person if I could. You set a great example for me and everyone!

That's exactly what I would tell ppl about how did I keep the job! Same here, I'm single too so staying strong and hold is the only choice. I have been thinking the same all these year especially the past week since I dropped one step from 0.9 to 0.2 mg. as you can see in my signature, I'm at 0.2mg right now, was hoping to spend another year from 0.9 down to zero but had to jump due to severe reaction. So now I'm in the deepest water ever with WD. On top of the long term symptoms I got the most severe flu like symptoms for 2 days, and the muscle weakness (couple times literally felt half my body is non existing, super scary and I was freaking out ), general sick feeling and overal unwell. I can barely get out of the house, but strangely I can still get some work done on the computer even in a half coma like status, hard to believe. When my vision is too blurry then it's impossible as I couldn't see anything on the screen. I'm lucky I can work from home most days and I can work flexible hours. I tried to dial in for all meetings as I know I will look too abnormal if present in person.

My brain actually started working better lately since getting down to 0.2mg as before my brain was not functional lots times due to drug reaction. I feel the WD I got from the big cut is more physical.

Yes, let's count the day when we can look back this whole nightmare! I am looking forward to the declaration of your full freedom and recovery!

Please keep us updated. Your healing is very encouraging to me!

Hugs,

Lex

Thanks Lex! You are so sweet and let's definitely keep cheering each other on from the side lines. I'm so glad I have people like you to talk to especially during the difficult times. It's so nice to have that support. 

Yesterday, I just started an anti-inflammatory diet to see if it helps the pain and healing process. Who knows, I'll try anything to see if it helps!  :lol:

How are you feeling now that you have dropped to .2mg? Any better?