Chicago77: tapered off Lexapro ... still have bad withdrawal symptoms

Chicago77

chicago77

when did you start to have windows?

did you sufer from bad insomnia and bad anixty in this year?

from wich month it get better?

Hi Lorin, 

I haven't had any windows where I've been symptom free yet. I've just had windows where symptoms are less intense. I definitely had insomnia the first year, but now I'm sleeping. Yes, my anxiety was terrible too. I do still get the early morning heart palpitations sometimes(this symptom came back for me), but it doesn't really scare me because I know everyone gets it and it's just part of the process. I've mentioned this a few times to people on SA, but a book that really helps me get through things when I'm having a tough time is "Recovery and Renewal." It's really good and puts things in perspective for me. Hang in there!  :)

What helped you sleep and relax in the first year?
How long did your symptoms last?
Can you please expand on the book?
Thanks

Hi Lorin, 

I still have a lot of symptoms. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I'm recovered, but I'm not.  :( What helped my sleep was epsom salt bath(magnesium makes me sleepy), melatonin and time. I also am very strict with my sleeping schedule and turn off all electronics at 8:30pm. Some essential oils like lavender seemed to help me a little too. The book is called "Recovery and Renewal" by Baylissa Frederick. Hope this helps!

1.from wich month it get better the wd?

2.what the book Renewed to you?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chicago77

• LexAnger

• Blondiee1915

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else feel like their psychological symptoms got better before physical ones did? I actually had a few good days where my fatigue lifted a little bit. Well it decided to say hello again today. Lucky me!  :) Also, my skin burning all over my arms is really annoying to me, especially when I'm trying to work. I can't concentrate because my body hurts so bad. I've heard of others having burning brain or tongue, but has anyone else felt like they are sunburned all over their body or have seen others with this? 

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

I do! Mostly forearms and face but also legs sometimes too. Feels like a terrible sunburn. I don't have any advice other than letting you know you aren't alone. It comes and goes for me.

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

I do! Mostly forearms and face but also legs sometimes too. Feels like a terrible sunburn. I don't have any advice other than letting you know you aren't alone. It comes and goes for me.

Thanks for your reply Waiting! Glad I know this normal I guess...but obviously not glad that you are suffering with it as well. Sometimes I put ice packs on skin which can give me temporary relief. Also, I know this sounds strange because my skin burns, but a hot bath sometimes helps too....at least while I'm sitting in it. Gosh I really hope it eventually goes away. 

Took 10 mg of Lexapro for 15 years. Started to taper in October 2015. Took last 1mg dose in March 2016. Started having side effects end of March 2016. Symptoms include: anxiety, heart palpitations, shaky, chronic fatigue, body feels like lead(so heavy), brain fog and dizziness and really bad pain especially on right side of body. 

Symptoms as of 10/18/16- Burning skin, widespread body pain, some insomnia, some fatigue, some brain fog, anxiety upon waking up, numbing and tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints. 

Symptoms as of 4/19/17- A little burning skin, muscle pain, FATIGUE, some brain fog, tremor in pinky and ring finger on left hand, cracking/popping/stiff joints, blurry vision, eye floaters, sciatica.

Symptoms as of 10/3/17- Physical symptoms-- Very little burning skin that comes and goes, some muscle and nerve pain that comes and goes, tremor in pinky and ring finger, muscle twitches, cortisol spike in the morning(heart palpitations), cracking/popping joints all those this has gotten a little better lately, blurry vision and eye floaters that come and go, sciatica(less intense now), fatigue which is still very bad but better than a year ago. Mental symptoms-- Depression, anxiety, hopelessness, lack of motivation or interest, brain fog(trouble focusing and concentrating), ruminating thoughts. All these come and go. 

I have the burning skin,too....mainly arms upper back ,lower legs,...very annoying!

hang in there.

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Hi Chicago,

Hope you are having more major improvement!

You have me as company with this burning, after reading so many posts in years, I consider my case is the most torturous, burning allover my head,mace, neck, back all day long most days if not everyday. It's very painful and can turn into needling pain (into the deep part of the head and body) rather than just on skin.

How long have you had this symptoms? Did it start after you stopped Lexapro or it was there already while you were on the med? Did it improve at all supine you are med free?

I'm often confused as I don't know if this is from the drug or WD.

How are you doing otherwise? I have been down to a tiny dose for a couple months now, my cognitive function has been totally damaged since then. Have you had any symptoms on that side?

Sending more healing power to you!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Chicago, I know you are strong! I'm sorry you are going through this but it will get better!

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

Buspar 10 mg 2x daily started 2013 fluctuating amounts.

Tried cylexa 1 week at beginning of August 2016.

Tried wellbutrin 1 week after cylexa stopped both.

I have been off all meds for around 4- 5 years.

I made it one year in withdrawal!! No meds for one year!! It's my anniversary, but not one that I'm excited to celebrate. lol  :) However, this has literally been the hardest year of my life, so maybe I should be a little proud of myself for even making it this far. Sometimes I really didn't think I would make it. I really don't even know how I got here. Everyday has been a struggle since this all started and it has truly tested every single part of my being. Since the start of this hellish journey, I kept a log of every symptom that came up until now. I've decided for my 1 year anniversary, I'm going to share a list of my symptoms that I've had and where I am today with them. So here goes: 

• Anxiety/Panic Attack- Pretty much gone except for a little morning cortisol anxiety
  • Heart Palpitations- Gone 
  • Internal Shaking- Gone
  • Crying Spells- Gone
  • Burning Skin- Still have
  • Insomnia- Gone
  • Fatigue- Still bad although no longer bedridden and have more energy than I did 6 months ago
  • Brain Fog- Still pretty bad-hard for me to focus and concentrate and don't feel as sharp as I used to be
  • Body feeling like it's filled with bricks/Heaviness- Gone
  • Nausea- Just a little bit here and there
  • Dizziness- Gone
  • Numbing/Tingling- Gone
  • Feeling of a sock on my left foot- Gone
  • Pins and Needles- Gone
  • Drunk/Drugged Feeling- Gone
  • Electric Shocks throughout body- Very little
  • Blurry Vision- Still bad
  • Sensitivity to light- Still bad
  • Slurred Speech- Gone
  • Loss of appetite- pretty much gone
  • Sensitivity to sounds- a little bit
  • Freezing hands/feet- Gone
  • Feeling of a lump in my throat- a little bit
  • Muscle pain- still pretty bad
  • Muscle spasm/twitching- rarely
  • Stiffness- still have but better
  • Cracking/popping of joints all over body- yes
  • Irrational Fear- Gone
  • Sweats/Chills- gone except for when I got a deep tissue massage. It came roaring back. 
  • Pain behind the eyes- Gone
  • Chest/Tightness in chest- Gone
  • Pinky and ring finger tremor- still have
  • Internal burn/vibration- a little bit
  • Spine pain/back pain- yes a little bit
  • Sensitivity in my sciatic nerve- yes

Well there you have it. Clearly, I still have a ways to go and feel my healing has plateaued for the last 3 months. The good news is I've had no new symptoms since Oct 2016, but I also haven't had one drop off in awhile. I kind of feel "stuck" right now.  <_<  Hoping that as time goes by that I will feel better little by little. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people that has windows with no symptoms. I've had symptoms every single moment since this all started. The emotional ones would come and go, but they are pretty much gone. Of course I get scared, sad or frustrated because my body feels like crap, but it's different. It's not that I get the irrational fear anymore. Heck, 8 months ago I was afraid to do laundry by myself or go outside. That is all gone! Now, I have mostly physical symptoms, which I'm praying with fade away with time. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and helped me along the way during this journey. You guys TRULY understand what it's like and I'm so grateful for each and every one of you!  :D  We will ALL make it through this!! 

hi

please tell me how you taper in 6 month?

did you taper 2 mg every month?

thank you

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

Hi Chicago,

Hope you are having more major improvement!

You have me as company with this burning, after reading so many posts in years, I consider my case is the most torturous, burning allover my head,mace, neck, back all day long most days if not everyday. It's very painful and can turn into needling pain (into the deep part of the head and body) rather than just on skin.

How long have you had this symptoms? Did it start after you stopped Lexapro or it was there already while you were on the med? Did it improve at all supine you are med free?

I'm often confused as I don't know if this is from the drug or WD.

How are you doing otherwise? I have been down to a tiny dose for a couple months now, my cognitive function has been totally damaged since then. Have you had any symptoms on that side?

Sending more healing power to you!

Lex

Hi Lex! 

I'm so sorry that you have been going through this for years. It breaks my heart! You are so strong! 

for me it all started after getting off the Lexapro. I really didn't have any side effects except for weight gain while on Lex. The burning started about a month after I stopped the drug. It has improved though. I can't deny that. It's also not as frequent as it was before, so I have to focus on the positives. 

How much longer do you have in your taper before you are off completely? I DEFINITELY had terrible brain fog for at least 9 months or so before it started improving. I mean I couldn't focus or concentrate on anything, I was slurring my words at times, talked so slowly and couldn't comprehend a lot of things. That has improved for me too. 

Hope you are seeing some improvements and continue to heal Lex!! I'm cheering for you over here! 

Chicago, I know you are strong! I'm sorry you are going through this but it will get better!

Thanks Dwell! Hope you are improving too! We will all make it through this!  :)

I made it one year in withdrawal!! No meds for one year!! It's my anniversary, but not one that I'm excited to celebrate. lol  :) However, this has literally been the hardest year of my life, so maybe I should be a little proud of myself for even making it this far. Sometimes I really didn't think I would make it. I really don't even know how I got here. Everyday has been a struggle since this all started and it has truly tested every single part of my being. Since the start of this hellish journey, I kept a log of every symptom that came up until now. I've decided for my 1 year anniversary, I'm going to share a list of my symptoms that I've had and where I am today with them. So here goes: 

• Anxiety/Panic Attack- Pretty much gone except for a little morning cortisol anxiety
  • Heart Palpitations- Gone 
  • Internal Shaking- Gone
  • Crying Spells- Gone
  • Burning Skin- Still have
  • Insomnia- Gone
  • Fatigue- Still bad although no longer bedridden and have more energy than I did 6 months ago
  • Brain Fog- Still pretty bad-hard for me to focus and concentrate and don't feel as sharp as I used to be
  • Body feeling like it's filled with bricks/Heaviness- Gone
  • Nausea- Just a little bit here and there
  • Dizziness- Gone
  • Numbing/Tingling- Gone
  • Feeling of a sock on my left foot- Gone
  • Pins and Needles- Gone
  • Drunk/Drugged Feeling- Gone
  • Electric Shocks throughout body- Very little
  • Blurry Vision- Still bad
  • Sensitivity to light- Still bad
  • Slurred Speech- Gone
  • Loss of appetite- pretty much gone
  • Sensitivity to sounds- a little bit
  • Freezing hands/feet- Gone
  • Feeling of a lump in my throat- a little bit
  • Muscle pain- still pretty bad
  • Muscle spasm/twitching- rarely
  • Stiffness- still have but better
  • Cracking/popping of joints all over body- yes
  • Irrational Fear- Gone
  • Sweats/Chills- gone except for when I got a deep tissue massage. It came roaring back. 
  • Pain behind the eyes- Gone
  • Chest/Tightness in chest- Gone
  • Pinky and ring finger tremor- still have
  • Internal burn/vibration- a little bit
  • Spine pain/back pain- yes a little bit
  • Sensitivity in my sciatic nerve- yes

Well there you have it. Clearly, I still have a ways to go and feel my healing has plateaued for the last 3 months. The good news is I've had no new symptoms since Oct 2016, but I also haven't had one drop off in awhile. I kind of feel "stuck" right now.  <_<  Hoping that as time goes by that I will feel better little by little. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people that has windows with no symptoms. I've had symptoms every single moment since this all started. The emotional ones would come and go, but they are pretty much gone. Of course I get scared, sad or frustrated because my body feels like crap, but it's different. It's not that I get the irrational fear anymore. Heck, 8 months ago I was afraid to do laundry by myself or go outside. That is all gone! Now, I have mostly physical symptoms, which I'm praying with fade away with time. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has been so supportive and helped me along the way during this journey. You guys TRULY understand what it's like and I'm so grateful for each and every one of you!  :D  We will ALL make it through this!! 

hi

please tell me how you taper in 6 month?

did you taper 2 mg every month?

thank you

Hi Lorin, 

I did a very sloppy taper, so please DO NOT do what I did. I wasn't educated on how to taper, so I basically bit little pieces of the pill off each day. Clearly that wasn't the proper way and was taking different doses each day, until I pretty much jumped from about 2.5 mg. I would do whatever the moderators suggest to do. I am no expert at all. Hope you see improvements soon! 

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

I know it's been awhile since I last posted, so thought I would write a quick update. I'm now 19 months off Lexapro. I updated my signature below with my current symptoms. I wish I was writing my success story right now instead of an update on my thread, but it is what it is right. :)  I still have symptoms and I struggle more days than others. However, in the big picture if I look back to where I was a year ago, I'm better, I remember in the fall last year I was so miserable.  I was struggling so much every second of the day. Today, even though I've only had 2 days without any symptoms, they are less in intensity and I can manage them better. I still get down and frustrated, but I also keep telling myself I know there will one day be an end to all of this. When? I have no idea, but it will one day. I hope when it's Oct 2018 I can say "wow! I've improved even more!" Anyway, hope all of you are healing and are doing well!! I would love to hear updates from all my SA friends! :)

Sending you love and hugs and wisjphing you more and faster full recovery!

lex 

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Chicago,

Just read through this entire thread and want you to know you're a big inspiration for me (I'm going through Lexapro PAWS currently). Thanks for continuing to provide updates!

Eric

Sep 2011 - Diagnosed with GAD. Started Lexapro 10 mg. Helped with physical anxiety symptoms.

Nov 2013 - Mother passed away after 6 years of fighting rare neurological disorder.

Mar 2016 - Started tapering. Felt that the Lexapro was causing fatigue and weight gain.

For whatever reason, I alternated b/w days, e.g. 10mg, 5mg, 10mg...

Near end I was taking one 1.25mg dose every 2 weeks (not sure why I did it this way)

Dec 2016 - Finished tapering, Phase I acute symptoms weren't really significant

Apr 2017 - Phase II begins: depression, anxiety, fatigue, depersonalization, cynicism, brain fog, memory issues

Jul 2017 - First real "window" (lasted a few hours only)

Aug 2017 - Found this site

----

Shortening waves and broadening windows since. Lost 30 lbs. Outlook positive thanks to this site.

Thanks everyone! I will keep an eye out for your updates as well. We will get through this together! :)

Hi Chicago ! 

I am routing for you as well .  This lexapro is one nasty drug but we can overcome it .  As they say time heals everything .  

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

This sounds like you are improving even more, Chicago77! ^_^ Can't wait to see more healing happening for you in the months to come. It really does help to look back and compare how you feel now vs. how you felt at the beginning. For me, I still feel bad when I'm stuck in big waves but I can definitely tell that healing is happening nowadays. We keep pushing forward! 

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

Hey All, 

Quick question, has anyone had any bad effects from drinking caffeine during WD? I haven't had it in so long and am tempted to try a little, however, I'm nervous. How has it effected you if at all? Any bad responses? Physically? Mentally? 

What to drop a Quick note only before it's too late, 

Better to stay away from it. Check out cipromillion after he jumped off lex in March.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

I've had soda with caffeine lately and it doesn't seem to make things worse. I am almost 14 months into withdrawl and still in the throws of it all with bad symptoms but it hasn't had a bed effect for me. Go very slowly with caffeine! A little at a time until you can see a difference .

Paxil 20mg started around 2013 dropped to 10 mg at some point dropped to 5mg for 1 week then C/T August 2016.

Buspar 10 mg 2x daily started 2013 fluctuating amounts.

Tried cylexa 1 week at beginning of August 2016.

Tried wellbutrin 1 week after cylexa stopped both.

I have been off all meds for around 4- 5 years.

Hi Chicago, 

I started with coffee about 3 months ago and I am okay.  For about a year after I was hit with severe WD and reinstatement I did not touch caffeine at all with exception of green tea in the AM.  First I started having coffee on the weekends just to see how my body responded and then added it at work in the AM as my fatigue is usually bad when I wake up and after lunch.  Also, I try to listen to my body.  I had few days where I felt more jittery and nervous so I would only have a few sips and pour away the rest and I usually do light roast.  As far as effect I am not sure if it is helping or not but I do enjoy the taste and I am tricking myself maybe into thinking it is waking me up.  

How are you doing lately?? 

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Honestly, coffee was a life-saver for me when my fatigue was at its worst. I know it's not the typical advice here, but at the time I didn't quite know what was happening to me and I was trying everything I could to stay minimally-productive at home and work (job, wife, daughter).

I went from taking 1 hr naps every afternoon (my work has a "nap room") to being able to barely get through the day. The "coffee high" seemed to improve my cognition and brain fog too, for about an hour or so.

Prior to starting coffee, I was accustomed to drinking 2-4 sodas a day (terrible, I know). I cut that down to 0 for awhile by replacing with coffee... my first foray into coffee at 33 yrs old!

I started with 1 cup of coffee + 0 sodas and by now I've "stabilized" at 2 cups of coffee + 2 sodas a day. But deep down I know I would feel better without 1 of those sodas, so may try to do something about that... (sugar addiction is real :-/)

Anyway, I think that the reduced sugar (but retained / increased caffeine) helped most of all, but I also enjoyed learning about coffee and trying new combinations every day. It gave me a hobby which helped distract from my anxiety and depression. I'm sure the caffeine exacerbated my anxiety attacks but I just decided to value (artificial) energy more... it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Note that I'm in a much better place now... I come home from work with way more energy for playing with my daughter, doing household chores, etc, and I go to bed at a reasonable hour and only have occasional bouts of insomnia. Nothing like it used to be.

Sep 2011 - Diagnosed with GAD. Started Lexapro 10 mg. Helped with physical anxiety symptoms.

Nov 2013 - Mother passed away after 6 years of fighting rare neurological disorder.

Mar 2016 - Started tapering. Felt that the Lexapro was causing fatigue and weight gain.

For whatever reason, I alternated b/w days, e.g. 10mg, 5mg, 10mg...

Near end I was taking one 1.25mg dose every 2 weeks (not sure why I did it this way)

Dec 2016 - Finished tapering, Phase I acute symptoms weren't really significant

Apr 2017 - Phase II begins: depression, anxiety, fatigue, depersonalization, cynicism, brain fog, memory issues

Jul 2017 - First real "window" (lasted a few hours only)

Aug 2017 - Found this site

----

Shortening waves and broadening windows since. Lost 30 lbs. Outlook positive thanks to this site.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chicago77: Tapered off Lexapro ... still have bad withdrawal symptoms

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! It's been helpful! I think if I do try coffee, I can going to start with decaf since there is a little caffeine in it. I'll see how I do with that and then go from there. 

I wanted to share this link I got from the Mad in America website. Looks like a lot of great speakers will be on this webinar. If you can't watch it live, they will have recordings posted a few days later. 

http://mailchi.mp/madinamerica/mad-in-america-webinar-series-psychiatric-drug-withdrawal-1018717?e=de8a4a77fa

So glad we are talking more and more about the effects of these drugs! We need to KEEP talking about it! 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@Chicago77

I hope you come back and update us, I will quote you from another thread

It's the success stories that give us that hope when you REALLY need it. If anyone is reading this post in 2018 or 2019(assuming I'm recovered by then), I PROMISE you will see a success story from me on here.

so I want you to either come back and tell us what is wrong or, hopefully, post your success story. 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chicago77: tapered off Lexapro ... still have bad withdrawal symptoms
  • 2 years later...
On 10/3/2017 at 11:52 PM, Chicago77 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I know it's been awhile since I last posted, so thought I would write a quick update. I'm now 19 months off Lexapro. I updated my signature below with my current symptoms. I wish I was writing my success story right now instead of an update on my thread, but it is what it is right. :)  I still have symptoms and I struggle more days than others. However, in the big picture if I look back to where I was a year ago, I'm better, I remember in the fall last year I was so miserable.  I was struggling so much every second of the day. Today, even though I've only had 2 days without any symptoms, they are less in intensity and I can manage them better. I still get down and frustrated, but I also keep telling myself I know there will one day be an end to all of this. When? I have no idea, but it will one day. I hope when it's Oct 2018 I can say "wow! I've improved even more!" Anyway, hope all of you are healing and are doing well!! I would love to hear updates from all my SA friends! :)

Hi Chicago, how are you now?

2002: put on perindopril 8mg for hypertension, still on this with felodipine 10 mg added in 2007.

2003: 1st panic attack, given activan 1mg as needed, dosage slowly increased to about 5mg per day on average. Cold turkey in 2007, 3 months of severe withdrawal.

2005: Escitalopram 10mg added, still on same dosage.

2008 - now: use propranolol when in stressful situation.

Considering tapering of Escitalopram, given insomnia and lack of motivation which I attribute to the drug. Although reading about the withdrawal effects, I am fairly reluctant.