SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Risperdalzombie: Living in hell on psychiatric meds! I want off them

Risperdalzombie

Hi last may I started seeing a psychiatrist because I was having some anger issues and I thought meds would help, the Dr put me on xanax 2x a day, buspar 2x a day, dispersal.5 1x a day, and celexa. They seemed to be helping me for a time but I started seeing a new Dr who took me off celexa and started wellbutrin and upped my risperdal to 2mg a day. I read an article on here by Jim24 from 2015 and how he said he felt was like taking the words I couldn't find right out of my mouth. I want off all my meds and am scared and wonder if I'll ever be my old self again?

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Risperdalzombie!

I'm sorry that you've been feeling so bad on the drugs that you've searched for online support but I am glad you found this site.  I've learned a great deal in the short time I've been here and have a great deal more confidence in my ability to deal effectively with future withdrawal symptoms.

You're both smart and wise to ask questions before starting to change anything with your current medications. Many people have successfully reduced and gone off psychoneuroactive drugs to live full lives.  You will feel like yourself again, but it won't be overnight. Our bodies recover and rebalance on their own schedules not according to a calendar or human's predictions.

Some informative reading for you about tapering off these drugs: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please correct me if I've misinterpreted or misread your current prescriptions.  I see that you're taking

• xanax 2x/day, started May 2015
  • buspar 2x/day, started May 2015
  • risperdal 1/day, started May 2015, increased to current dose 2mg 1/day
  • wellbutrin

Some questions for you:

• What are your doses of xanax, buspar and wellbutrin?
  • What was your risperdal dose before the increase?
  • When did the pdoc increase the risperdal dose to 2 mg?
  • Have you checked your drugs for interactions? The interactions may give some clues about which drug to taper first.
    You can check yours at drugs.com: www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Copy and paste your results in a new post in this thread.

A couple of tips to make it easier for you to get assistance:

• I'm glad to see that you're following this thread. In all likelihood, a site moderator or administrator will move this thread to  the Introductions forum.

• The moderators are volunteers and in high demand. It helps them if they can quickly see your withdrawal history. Our best tool for that is the signature that appears below every post.  Be sure to include all medications -- even non-psych drugs -- and supplements you're taking. Here's how to create yours: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Hope to see you posting again soon.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I'm no longer taking xanax, but my dose of buspar is 10mg 2x a day, wellbutrin is 150mg 1x a day, risperdal is .5mg 2x a day

• Moderator Emeritus

Risperdalzombie,

Thanks for the updated information on your dosages. I've moved your post to the introductions forum. You can use this thread/topic as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with other members, and add to it whenever you want.

The details you posted above about your current dosages is exactly what to put in your signature.  Here's a thread explaining how to do that: Please put your withdrawal history in signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi last may I started seeing a psychiatrist because I was having some anger issues and I thought meds would help, the Dr put me on xanax 2x a day, buspar 2x a day, dispersal.5 1x a day, and celexa. They seemed to be helping me for a time but I started seeing a new Dr who took me off celexa and started wellbutrin and upped my risperdal to 2mg a day. I read an article on here by Jim24 from 2015 and how he said he felt was like taking the words I couldn't find right out of my mouth. I want off all my meds and am scared and wonder if I'll ever be my old self again?

There is an excellent chance you will be  your old self again.

However- it will not be an easy road to go down.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.