SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Intolerant59 Mirtazapine

Intolerant59

Hoping someone can help I have recently been prescribed Mirtazapine which I believe has increased my anxiety, I tremble inside through my whole body. I have been on many many different AD's all with terrible side effects. I'm too scared to taper off slowly as the anxiety is out of control and my dr told me to take Valium to counteract the anxiety. Very stressed and anxious would love to hear from someone who has experienced this anxiety side effect from Mirtazapine

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Have been on the antidepressant merry go round. 14 years on Zoloft and then it stopped working. Since then have been prescribed numerous ad's all with horrendous side effects. Was AD free for two months earlier this year then relapsed due to a close friend being diagnosed with s terminal illness. Currently on Avanza 7.5mg down from 15mg which is giving me terrible anxiety hence having to also take Valium for the anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

Intolerant59,

Welcome to SA.

I have moved your introduction post from the benzo forum to the introduction forum.  Everyone on SA has an intro post, it's your "home page" from which you post updates.

Adding an addictive drugs to counter the side effect of another addictive drugs does not make any sense to me.  Adding Valium is seldom a solution to any problem with the possible exceptions of doing a cross-over from another benzo or reinstating from a cold turkey.  

Valium is so addictive that within two weeks you are likely to get nasty withdrawal symptoms if you try to stop it, including worsening of anxiety.   If you are tapering too fast from another medication, you need to tackle this, as it seems to be the source of the problem.

Here is a link to the Ashton Manual on Benzodiazepine, it may be a good source of information for you.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

My experience is mostly with benzodiazepine withdrawal so I'll let someone else comment on the best way to come off Avanza and Mirtazapine.

Bye for now.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Intolerant59. Welcome to the forum from me, too.

How did you taper down from 15 mg to 7.5 mg mirtazapine? It's possible you were tapering so quickly, your CNS is now very overwhelmed and this is causing the anxiety. 

We recommend tapering no faster than a 10% dosage reduction every 3 - 4 weeks. As Wellness posted, the use of Valium to control anxiety comes with some very grave risks. By using the 10% (or less) reduction method, you are much less likely to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms. In the end, going slowly will help you heal faster and safer than adding additional medications. 

Please see this thread for more information:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please read over this link for information specific to coming off mirtazapine: 

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

For information on what to expect during withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Many members report good results with fish oil and magnesium. Because the CNS because hypersensitive during withdrawal, the best advice is start at a very low dose in case of any adverse reaction. For more, please read these links:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

This thread is your place to make note of your symptoms and to ask plenty of questions. I'm glad you've joined us for information and support.

I believe the mirt is causing the anxiety as whilst taking this med my anxiety is out of control. Didn't need the Valium regularly prior to starting mirt. I was AD free for two months prior to reinstating on mirt. Best friend has been diagnosed with terminal cancer which put me backwards hence dr reinstating me in mirt which I now regret big time. So how do I taper off mirt when it is crippling me with anxiety

Have been on the antidepressant merry go round. 14 years on Zoloft and then it stopped working. Since then have been prescribed numerous ad's all with horrendous side effects. Was AD free for two months earlier this year then relapsed due to a close friend being diagnosed with s terminal illness. Currently on Avanza 7.5mg down from 15mg which is giving me terrible anxiety hence having to also take Valium for the anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear about your best friend, Intolerant. That would make anyone anxious. 

It's possible you are getting anxiety from the mirtazapine, as well as dealing with situational anxiety from your friend's illness. 

You may find some of these non-drug coping techniques helpful for both the chemical anxiety from the drug, as well as the situational anxiety:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Please post the following items:

1. When you were last on 15 mg and how you tapered down to 7.5 mg mirtazapine. Any dates, dose changes, and symptoms you can report will help us help you set up the best taper. 

2. The dose and dates that you were on Zoloft. When did you take your last Zoloft? 

3. The times you take Valium, the dose, and your symptoms. 

The items in bold are extremely important. 

I was on Zoloft for approx 12 years and two years ago the dr changed me to cymbalta whereby my side effects were numb feet and burning groin. She then changed me to Lovan?? Which gave me nausea, then changed back to Zoloft but it didn't work. Moved house went back to my original dr who prescribed me Zoloft many years ago and he out me in pristiq which gave me terrible head pain. Came off that cold turkey and used minimal Valium when required. At least 8 weeks free from pristiq working with a naturopath doing wonderfully with taking magnesium, turmeric formula, spirulina and probiotics. Felt great but then my friend got diagnosed. I have health anxiety so that and the pain I felt for my friend sent me backwards.

Dr prescribed 15mgs of mirt and first three weeks it seemed ok he told me to jump to 30mgs for two days only which sent my anxiety through the roof. I then dropped to 7.5mgs and felt fine for two weeks only for the anxiety to peak again. Dr told me it is not the mirt causing my anxiety and insisted I reinstate to 15mg did that last Thursday and again anxiety worsened can't stop crying and shaking. Most days taking 2.5mg (since last Sunday) of Valium at least once per day as I wake up with my body jittery and then the tears of frustration start. I'm on holidays which is sad as I have struggled to enjoy my break and don't know where to go from here as I don't trust drugs anymore. Flying home tomorrow and scared dr will send me to psychiatrist. Hope this information is what you were after difficult to explain when feeling anxious. Rather than take Valium this morning took some Panadol/ibrofun to see if that will help me settle. Seems to have worked a little bit.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the additional information. I'm trying to get a timeline here:

• Zoloft 12 years
  • Cymbalta two years ago
  • Lovan and then back to Zoloft and then briefly on Pristiq until 8 weeks ago
  • Mirtazapine at 15 mg for 3 weeks, 30 mg two days, back to 7.5 mg for the past two weeks
  • Valium 2.5 mg daily (except today)

It looks like you've been off Pristiq for 8 weeks and you are currently taking 7.5 mg mirtazapine and 2.5 mg Valium. Is this correct? 

I'm logging off soon for the night, but I let the other mods know to touch base on your thread. I'm thinking you may still have withdrawal from the Pristiq and Zoloft, but it would be best for the other mods to chime in.

off pristiq since February reinstated on mirt end of April thanks so much

• Administrator

Welcome, Intolerant.

You were on 15mg mirtazapine with no problems, after you reduced to 7.5mg, you started having severe anxiety?

This is important: Keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

We need to figure out if you are having withdrawal symptoms from the mirtazapine, adverse effects from the mirtazapine, or adverse effects from the Valium.

When benzos wear off, you can get rebound anxiety. Depending on when you take Valium, this may be causing the anxiety.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No I was getting anxiety on 15mgs dr told me to go to 30 mgs which made me even worse. I get my anxiety in my glutes and legs in the 30mgs was struggling to stand/walk. Only took 30mgs for two days dropped back and anxiety eased off for awhile but then came back even worse. Dr insisted I go back upto 30mgs as he doesn't believe it is the mirt causing my anxiety. He also told me I could take up my Valium dose to 5mg two-three times a day but have been reluctant to do this as I know it is the mirt causing my anxiety so I have dropped back to 7.5mgs each day which is still causing my anxiety but nowhere near like it was on 15mgs. I will write down what I am doing each day going forward although some days I just panic and feel out of control to do anything. I DO NOT want to go up on my dose or try anymore drugs. Dr has advised I see a psychiatrist but am scared to do so and be given further drugs.

My concern is when on the mirt I have had to use Valium a lot more regularly than prior to taking mirt so I'm worried how I'm suppose to wean off this stuff by tapering slowly as I feel it's sending me crazy. I wasn't this sick before I started the mirt.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Intolerant, welcome to SA!

Yes, you will need to taper off the Valium - but later, after we figure out what is going on with you.  This is especially hard for you because - even in the event of your friend's cancer - you were probably having rebounds from all of those drug changes.

When will these doctors realize, these drugs are not like aspirin?  Our Rhi explains it best here:  

Rhi's description of healing the brain

In another place, she said it like this (it helps if you read the link first):

Each time the drugs are switched around--whether they are cut, or increased, or changed to other meds, et cetera--whatever processes have already been happening have to try to stop and go the other direction. (Or maybe a couple of other directions.) 

This is not simple. This causes more trauma, more chemical chaos, more damage. Processes that cannot be quickly halted and are already out of control, try to counteract themselves using other processes that are very imperfect as well. (Imagine the LA freeway system if all of a sudden everyone had to stop and go the other direction, but there were no lights and no traffic cops. And everybody's brakes and steering were already kind of busted and unstable to begin with.)

And now you need to look to heal.  You are probably in withdrawal from the Zoloft-Lovan-Zoloft-Cymbalta-Pristiq just as much as in anxiety from the MIrtazapine.    WIthdrawal symptoms can happen up to a year (or more) out from your last dose - so from our perspective, you've been constantly under treatment - those 2 months you were off, even if you felt well - you were still in withdrawal from the last dose.  But we can't exactly reinstate you on any of those, because you've been on so many drugs since, and each of those changes has now sensitised you - you may be sensitive to all kinds of things you weren't before.

Shep did a beautiful summary of your drugs, could you please put it in your signature, including dates, and any corrections you might have to her summary?  Please Put Your WIthdrawal History Into your Signature  or Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

I agree strongly with Shep, you will need the Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms .  When you remove a drug, you need to replace it with something else.  A toolkit, a practice, a safe place to go when you don't feel well.

Another way of looking at withdrawal:  Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery (Toxic Antidepressants)

When we have more information about your symptom patterns and when you take your doses, we'll be better able to see how much of the anxiety is aggravated by the mirtazapine, and how much by the valium.  

At 7.5 mg, mirtazapine is not even an antidepressant, really.  It mostly covers histamine receptors at that dose - like a drowsy Claratyne.  If you can, please stay on your current dose, and track 

Just a thought - the "anxiety in your glutes and legs" - is this a muscle weakness?  Muscle problems are common in withdrawal, here are two examples:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2139-foot-and-leg-cramps/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2016-tremors-shaking-body-vibration/

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Intolerant. How are you feeling now? It's important to keep track of your symptoms to help guide your taper. This is a great resource for this:

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Also, please keep a daily log of your Valium use, the dose, and your symptoms. This will help separate your Valium symptoms from the mirtazapine symptoms, as much as is possible.