SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cortisol testing

Francis

Hi all- So I have had my ups and downs over the last 14 months trying to get off of celexa. I am now down to 2 mg.

My first big red flag as to withdrawal was horrible insomnia. I had saliva cortisol tests and my cortisol was off the chart in the early morning hours (around 3am), preventing me from sleeping through the night. My cortisol levels continue to be high but not off the chart as before (one test even showed normal levels in the morning, but high throughout the rest of the day).

Okay, so that means my adrenals are off... Now I recently started seeing a new Dr who believes in ssri withdrawal, but also is very focused on the thyroid. I have low free T3, but also low TSH, so to me, it sees like a lot of this is likely coming from an off pituitary. (so now I know my adrenals and pituitary are off... perhaps something with my thyroid is off too, but Im not yet convinced, since the TSH is low)

Mt Dr wants me to take a low dose of natural thyroid hormone and seems to believe that the thyroid issue is separate from the ssri withdrawal issue. I have refused the thyroid hormone so far. (I also have low testosterone, which, as a woman, indicates further issues with my adrenals, right?)

How do I get my endocrine system back on track? I honestly dont think anything is broken... I just need to heal from this awful ssri experience (and I also need to get off of the celexa entirely, but Im doing that incredibly slowly now, with the last 2 mg... this is where Ive been tripped up a few times so far).

Do I need thyroid hormone for the time being? I dont want to just supplement my body... I want to heal it so it can work on its own again! Im still waking up in the middle of the night and cant fall back to sleep. I still have low level depression with bouts of horrible weepiness. (at least the anxiety is familiar... I had these symptoms pre-celexa and, before learning first hand about withdrawal, expected the most difficult part of stopping the celexa would be to find alternate ways to cope with the anxiety Ive had my entire life... hahaha little did I know!) I feel patient with the healing process...

I just want to know if there is anything I should be or can be doing to help it along. (and would be interested to hear anyone's opinion about taking thyroid hormone.) Thanks so much!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

To the best of my knowledge, the saliva tests for cortisol are unreliable.

SSRI withdrawal causes lots of upheaval in the body. I think you'd be wise to postpone any sort of testing or medication until after you're off of Celexa and have stabilized for a while. Otherwise you could end up being treated for something that you either don't have or that will go away with time. Heavy duty treatment of any kind should probably be avoided while tapering off and for a while afterward so as not to give you a setback in the bargain. Of course this doesn't pertain to a life-threatening condition, but I'd avoid anything that can be avoided for a while.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'm on day 8 of when the withdrawl symptoms started. I need to get a colonostopy sometime this year. What are your thoughts silver star?

20mg Citalipram 2003
upted it to 40mg Jan 2012
June 2012 I could not sleep so doctor switched me to 200mg of Trazodone
I dont recall tapering much off the Citalipram. I remember a coulple of head zaps
Tapered all the way down in 2mo's to 0mg by the end of Dec 2012
Jan 11 2012 started back on 50mg

4/28 2012 Was using .25mg Xanax to help me sleep for a couple of weeks every other night on 5/26 I started getting  huge surges of anxiety. I first thought it was the Trazodone but looking back in January I was only getting insomnia. I believe I'm now in the nightmare that is Benzo WD 

• Administrator

Michael, postpone the colonoscopy until you have a better idea of how you're coping with withdrawal.

Francis, tests may find cortisol may or may not be high in withdrawal syndrome. (Saliva tests are unreliable.) This does not mean anything is wrong with the adrenals. The alerting is taking place higher up in the nervous system. The adrenals are slave organs, they take orders from the brain.

If I were you, unless you have other symptoms of overt thyroid dysfunction, I would not take any thyroid medications. Thyroid hormone can be activating. Withdrawal syndrome affects the thyroid, too. Some people have seen their thyroid tests change as they recover from withdrawal.

Integrative doctors don't know any more than any other kind of doctor about withdrawal syndrome. Many people have been harmed by unnecessary, misguided integrative treatments.

For other discussions about this topic, use the Search box in the upper right and look for "thyroid" or "adrenal."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Francis,

I totally agree with Alto!!! The adrenals are slave organs.

I have a very good doctor .He is doing a big blood test every year.My cortisol is still very high!!

He also says that this is because of my anxiety and depression.

What I do is trying to relax my nervous system by all the tools we know.So it will work out someday by itself when we feel better.And I don t really worry

about cortisol Levels.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Francis,

I've had many abnormal endocrine labs.

I've avoided taking thyroid hormone but thus far I haven't needed it -- though one doctor recommended it, reservedly however. My serum and saliva tests agreed with each other on my high AM cortisol. The tests were sort of irrelevant since they just confirmed my symptoms which included elevated heart rate, overactive startle response, etc. Over time my AM anxiety has gotten much better.

I'd guess by your doctor "believes in ssri withdrawal" you mean that he dislikes ssri's and believes they can disturb your nervous system. I'd also guess that your doc lacks experience treating psych med d/c syndrome. His well-meaning recommendations could have unintended consequences so I applaud you for showing some caution.

Thyroid disease is a common d/x at integrative clinics, natural chiropractors etc. I suspect it's frequently a symptom of something else, perhaps AD w/d in this instance. (Of course I am just writing on a forum and have no medical training.) It seems most likely that my thyroid prodems are largely signifiers of my infections and poor nutrition, malnutrition frankly, possibly also influenced by w/d. That's how it seems, and my lab numbers have gotten much better.

Did you have a full panel, including antibodies? I've felt more comfortable making my decisions about treatment knowing my Abs were normal. Elevated antibodies indicate Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyrodism) which generally requires some form of treatment, though early detection may allow more treatment options.

I believe aa heathful diet has contributed to better thyroid function for me. I still do have a mess of endocrine-related symptoms. I've also been careful not to blame too much on any one thing, like the pituitary gland, being 'off'. Sometimes things have gotten better by themselves and sometimes I've needed to look to do something beyond give some time for reset.

best luck,

Alex

PS - Keep doing your homework and I really think you'll get through this great!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Great post, alex.

One point: Hashimoto's does not always require treatment. It may never seriously affect thyroid hormone balance. Also, I believe withdrawal syndrome itself may cause thyroid inflammation so the antibody test, while interesting, may only indicate the thyroid is under stress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 8 months later...

I know there is a lot about cortisol on this forum but am wondering, specifically about the link of high morning cortisol to high fasting blood glucose levels.  

I have had issues with very high morning cortisol and think that its back (waking very early again).  I happened to get some routine labs done for a new GP I started seeing and my morning blood glucose was at 108.  Ive been taking my morning blood glucose with a home tester for the last few weeks and it jumps around from 91-111.  Actually, one morning, it was at 93 at 3am and then jumped to 103 by 6am (with no eating).  

Have you all found a link of high morning cortisol and elevated fasting blood glucose?

Im thinking maybe I should not focus on the blood glucose levels (just adding another thing to worry about), if I can be more certain that it is linked to an issue I already know I have.  

Thanks!

2/2011 10mg
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

Francis I really don't know if there is a connection, but it would not surprise me.  I can understand not wanting to add something else to your plate.

Have you ever taken your blood glucose level when you are not experiencing cortisol dumps?

just looked this up:

http://www.goldenholisticmedicine.com/blog/cortisol/cortisol-blood-sugar-and-adrenal-health

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

What's your sugar intake?

Many people have found minimizing sugar intake reduces withdrawal symptoms.

I don't consume any sugar, short of a piece or 2 of fruit a day and whatever is found in vegetables.  (also no wheat, rice, soy, dairy, ...)

(part of why this is so confusing!)

2/2011 10mg
7/12 20mg
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Francis,

the EXACT same thing is happening to me. Like you, I'm virtually a saint with my diet.

My postprandial levels are fine (I check using a metre) but my fasting glucose ranges from 85 to 107!

There's no rhyme or reason to it either. This week I've been in the hundreds.

I'm also waking early in the morning.

I had a blood test and it was normal, but my metre is correctly callibrated and it does fluctuate an awful lot.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I think the altered cortisol messes with the glucose metabolism.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 3 months later...

Just got my saliva cortisol levels back:

Result Units Range

My Results                                                                Normal Range
Cortisol (saliva) 19.8 H ng/mL                                  3.7-9.5 (morning)
Cortisol (saliva) 20.1 H ng/mL                                  1.2-3.0 (noon)
Cortisol (saliva) 6.8 H ng/mL                                    0.6-1.9 (evening)
Cortisol (saliva) 2.4 H ng/mL                                    0.4-1.0 (night)

I guess that explains the anxiety, and although its still double of what it should be, explains why I feel so much better after 830.  I suppose after the withdrawals stop, the cortisol will too?

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

December 2010 - reinstated 75mgs Effexor XR, felt no better months later

January 2011 - Began 5% taper every month

2012 - Anxiety began improving by had many windows and waves

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2016 - Fear, anxiety began to wane

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

December 2020 - Now at ~31mgs Effexor XR, 5mgs Crestor 

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

I think that is really helpful confirmation of what Alto has been explaining. Much of the battle of withdrawal is a battle with cortisol. If you want to and can read a book on this, I highly recommend the ebook Unravelling CFS. Not that you have it, but this author's hypothesis is very similar to what happens in WD. Until Alto writes her book, this is the closest book that I know of to lay out an explanation and treatment for what happens.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Thanks for that.  I'll check it out.  I hope it's related to withdrawal and not Cushing's Syndrome.

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

Not to spoil it, but it's related to a certain part of the brain starting to send out exaggerated messages, leading to havoc in the autonomic nervous system. GiaK of beyondmeds.com recommended it. It is not the same as WD, but similar.

It's those cortisol levels that make getting treatment tricky. The doctors that do that testing have paradigms for what causes it and what fixes it that don't always mesh with the WD paradigm. They think the adrenals are over or under producing but often in withdrawal they are just dysregulated because the HPA axis is out of whack. This author says the adrenals may even be shrunken in some cases, but it's not because they are damaged, they are just trying to protect themselves. I don't know where the truth lies, I am just trying to muddle through.

I will say that I have heard two integrative psychiatrists say you really want to watch the CRP, or cardio CRP. It is a quick measure of the body's inflammation level and should go down if you are intervening effectively.

56 years old

Not to spoil it, but it's related to a certain part of the brain starting to send out exaggerated messages, leading to havoc in the autonomic nervous system. GiaK of beyondmeds.com recommended it. It is not the same as WD, but similar. It's those cortisol levels that make getting treatment tricky. The doctors that do that testing have paradigms for what causes it and what fixes it that don't always mesh with the WD paradigm. They think the adrenals are over or under producing but often in withdrawal they are just dysregulated because the HPA axis is out of whack. This author says the adrenals may even be shrunken in some cases, but it's not because they are damaged, they are just trying to protect themselves. I don't know where the truth lies, I am just trying to muddle through.I will say that I have heard two integrative psychiatrists say you really want to watch the CRP, or cardio CRP. It is a quick measure of the body's inflammation level and should go down if you are intervening effectively.

Spoil it? Spoil what? Everything sucks anyway. Lol

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Yes, I did lol! I hear you! The book is written backwards, from symptoms back to cause....which I did spoil :)

56 years old

I bought the book and I'm reading right now.

do I understand correctly, that in our case, it's not only the problem of brain, but the whole autonomic nervous system? to me, it makes big difference and a lot of sense.

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

The brain problem causes the autonomic nervous system problem, but I suspect the WD brain problem is different from the CFS brain problem. When people talk about the HPA axis, it starts with the hypothalamus in the brain.

56 years old

I bought the book and I'm reading right now.

do I understand correctly, that in our case, it's not only the problem of brain, but the whole autonomic nervous system? to me, it makes big difference and a lot of sense.

I'm starting to think the anxiety and panic attacks isn't due to the receptors and brain in general, it may be due to imbalances in hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and dhea.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Which begs the question, where did those imbalances come from?

56 years old

Which begs the question, where did those imbalances come from?

No one knows. It just throws your "glands" out of whack.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Well, that book is trying to explain the where, but I certainly don't know if it is right.

56 years old

The brain problem causes the autonomic nervous system problem, but I suspect the WD brain problem is different from the CFS brain problem. When people talk about the HPA axis, it starts with the hypothalamus in the brain.        

makes sense!  

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

By the way, the very high cortisol is the most likely is the reason for the extreme nervousness and anxiety, isnt it?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

It can be, but Alto has said you have to remember that the adrenals are slaves to the brain.

56 years old

here are the posts where I recommend the book Meimeiquest recommends...the posts include my thoughts on the ANS connection...

Protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome, chronic illness, CFS, Fibromyalgia. Yeah, they all have things in common. 

and

Autonomic nervous system dysfunction, protracted psych drug withdrawal, CFS, Fibromyalgia and why I still limit engagement on the internet

I'm glad to hear it's been of help to some of you. it's not the be all end all, but it helps a lot...I've not had it in me to write anything so comprehensive...and yeah...we need that coming from our perspective...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you, Gia...you have brought so many good ideas to me!

56 years old

My biggest problem is symptoms in my head ..

They are very unnerving, and debilitating .. They range from tiny little sizzling noises, to my head feeling heavy and foggy, with sporadic tension headaches ..

For the last three weeks, these symptoms happen in my sleep and wake me up, which is disturbing, because I had not problems while sleeping before.

But they do continue throughout the day, causing unsteadiness,  dizziness,  depression and crying,  blurry eyes, and overall discomfort, and discontent .. :(

Any thoughts as to what is happening, I will be grateful for ..

Thank you ..

Love, Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

"I'm starting to think the anxiety and panic attacks isn't due to the receptors and brain in general, it may be due to imbalances in hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and dhea."

John, sorry you're dealing with all this! I found your post quite interesting. I have dysautonomia secondary to Lyme disease, and I once had my cortisol levels measured myself. It was at the Mayo Clinic. What they found in me was that when I'm lying down I have normal cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine levels, but when I stand up all three increase to 20 fold! the normal level for each. I know you want to know which is the chicken and which is the egg in your case, but I don't know. Sorry. I just wanted to let you know that my anxiety/panic comes on only when standing for a long time, which suggests that the elevated cortisol, epinephrine and norepinephrine are CAUSING my anxiety. That would make me think that once your cortisol levels return to normal, the anxiety should abate. I have no clue as to when your cortisol levels should return to normal, but it looks like you've been given some great references above.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can hypothesize as to when you should stabilize. Just know in the meantime that you're amongst company in experiencing anxiety with elevated cortisol. Just a mere guess on my part, but I think in your case the the chicken is the elevated cortisol (from whatever cause), and the egg is the anxiety. Hang in there. Our bodies actually have an amazing capacity to heal WITH time.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

Thanks Gia for the links above. 

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

"I'm starting to think the anxiety and panic attacks isn't due to the receptors and brain in general, it may be due to imbalances in hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and dhea."

John, sorry you're dealing with all this! I found your post quite interesting. I have dysautonomia secondary to Lyme disease, and I once had my cortisol levels measured myself. It was at the Mayo Clinic. What they found in me was that when I'm lying down I have normal cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine levels, but when I stand up all three increase to 20 fold! the normal level for each. I know you want to know which is the chicken and which is the egg in your case, but I don't know. Sorry. I just wanted to let you know that my anxiety/panic comes on only when standing for a long time, which suggests that the elevated cortisol, epinephrine and norepinephrine are CAUSING my anxiety. That would make me think that once your cortisol levels return to normal, the anxiety should abate. I have no clue as to when your cortisol levels should return to normal, but it looks like you've been given some great references above.Maybe someone more knowledgeable can hypothesize as to when you should stabilize. Just know in the meantime that you're amongst company in experiencing anxiety with elevated cortisol. Just a mere guess on my part, but I think in your case the the chicken is the elevated cortisol (from whatever cause), and the egg is the anxiety. Hang in there. Our bodies actually have an amazing capacity to heal WITH time.

Thanks Ellen for your response. But before I went cold Turkey 3 years ago from Effexor, I never had this anxiety before. After going CT,I went back on it 2 months later and it took 4 months to recover, although it was still bad. Then about 2 years later it disappeared completely while I was tapering Again. It wasn't until the end of this November when I reached about half of the 75mg I started from when it started again, although it never reached the intensity of the original CT level, plus I think the past few days it started abating again. So it seems the chicken most likely is the withdrawal. From time to time I have bad feelings of hypoglycemia as well relieved by eating, but when I test my blood sugar levels are about 80. Makes no sense!

June 2010 - Cold turkey

I'm sorry. I hope you stabilize soon.

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

• 2 weeks later...

Francis, tests may find cortisol may or may not be high in withdrawal syndrome. (Saliva tests are unreliable.) 

Saliva tests for cortisol are unreliable?  I read everywhere that theyre the best method to test for cortisol.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy