SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Foreseason: Tapering Nardil

foreseason

My name is Chris.  Long time lurker, first time poster..

I am currently tapering off of Nardil after 3 years of use. This may make my story a bit unique as it is an old MAOI antidepressant which is not used very often these days.  However, my path to Nardil was littered with various SSRI's, Tricyclics, and other psych meds.   As rare as MAOIs are, I was still hoping to find some guidance or experiences related to MAOI withdrawal.  I'm bummed how little information is here or anywhere on the internet.   I attempted to taper off of Nardli last summer going from 45mg to 0mg in about 3 months.  I felt this was a slow enough taper considering it was much slower than the nonsensical tapering schedules most doc's suggest.  However, compared to the 10% taper suggested here it was pretty quick.  I made it about 2 months before going back on Nardil when I started having panic attacks on a regular basis.  

Back in April, after being completely fed up with the Nardil side effects, I decided to try again.  My original plan was to taper off the Nardil and back on to a newer class AD. Although I never really liked the SSRIs/SNRsI, their favorable side effect profiles vs the MAOIs was tempting.  However, in the last month or so I have decided that I want to make another run at getting off these meds for good.

This time around my taper has been even faster than the last attempt. The only reason for this is because my plan was to get off the Nardil and onto something different.  I have gone from 45mg to 5mg in just over 2 months.  Things were going alright until the last couple of weeks.  My moods have been all over the place.  I'll be feeling pretty good for a few hours, and then I'll be super depressed and anxious, verging on panic attacks.  

That brings us to today...

I have decided to reinstate my Nardil at a higher dose and then follow the 10% formula here every 2-4 weeks.    I am going to bump up to 1 pill a day (15mg) and see how I feel.  If I'm still struggling I will go up some more until I feel stable and then start the 10% taper plan.  I am fortunate enough to have a Psychiatrist who is both honest and aware of the major problems with the psychiatric/pharmaceutical industry. She's no expert on AD withdrawal, but shes very wiling to work with me as I go through this.  I also have been sober from drugs/alcohol for 8 years and am very involved in the recovery community.   This community will be an invaluable support group during this journey.  

I look forward to meeting you all and am greatly appreciative of any suggestions or guidance you can give!

Note:  I am also on Gabapentin 1000mg a day.  This is a whole other nightmare.  I was originally given it as a "safe" anxiety medication when I first got sober 8 years ago.  I have become completely dependent on it and have to take it 3x a day or will start having withdrawals within a couple hours of missing my dose.  Like most of these meds, it can be extremely difficult to stop and has it's own miserable withdrawal symptoms.  I dream to one day be free from it, but I can only work on one thing at a time.  

2000-2008: Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax, Adderall...  Heavy marijuana use progressing into heavy drug use

2008: Got Sober and put on Zoloft

2008-2013: Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Effexor, Imiprimine, Lamictal, Lithium, Gabapentin

Recent History:

2013-2015: Nardil 45-60 mg/day

Apr 2015 - Jul 2015 - Nardil Taper 45mg - 0mg

Sep 2015: Restarted Nardil 60 mg due to panic attacks

March 2016: Started Nardil taper again

Jun 2016: Nardil 15 mg/day + Plus Gabapentin 1000 mg/day since 2008

• Moderator Emeritus

Foreseason -- Welcome to the bright lights after lurking Surviving Antidepressants (SA, for short). I'm glad you found the site and that you've posted.

Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Anything prior to that can be simply stated. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

You've made a wise decision first to try tapering the Nardil directly. You don't need the risk of adding an "unknown unknown."

It's good that if you understand that an updose (from 5mg) in the near future won't likely have to be all the way back to your starting dose. [edit: you posted that you've increased to 15 mg]

Because of your recent and frequent dose changes, holding steady on an effective dose until your symptoms diminish and stabilize (6-8 weeks) will lay a solid foundation for the 10% taper.

Since you've been lurking, you've probably already checked out these topics:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

Knowing the pattern of your symptoms is one of the most important things you can do during your taper. Members here have found it useful to use Dr. Joseph Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

I'll look for information about MAOIs and will post any links here at SA or details that I find.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi Chris,

I know how over-whelming this all feels because it is. The best thing you are thinking, for now anyway, is one drug at a time. Try not to think too far ahead of yourself. Focus on getting through one day, hour, minute at a time. Symptoms wax and wane so much. My biggest problem has been the fear that a symptom is permanent or at least long term. That has consistently not proven to be the case. So whatever is bothering you most, try to do positive self-talk...this, too, shall pass. Keeping a journal of symptoms really helps. They are much easier to cope with when you see a pattern of them coming and going.

This is a hard battle we are all fighting. We are here to help each other fight. Welcome!

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Thanks for the kind words and support.  After bumping up to 15mg yesterday I am feeling so much better today.  Actually feeling pretty good.  I am going to stay here for a while and see how I feel.   If my symptoms return I will bump up some more until I find a dose that keeps me stable.  

One more thing I should mention...  During this taper I have been doing a lot of neurofeedback.  I started doing it with my therapist a couple of years ago, but have since purchased my own equipment and have been doing it almost daily at home.  There's no doubt that it has helped me through this taper and I will continue to do it as I move forward.  

Feeling much more optimistic today.  

2000-2008: Paxil, Zoloft, Xanax, Adderall...  Heavy marijuana use progressing into heavy drug use

2008: Got Sober and put on Zoloft

2008-2013: Zoloft, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Effexor, Imiprimine, Lamictal, Lithium, Gabapentin

Recent History:

2013-2015: Nardil 45-60 mg/day

Apr 2015 - Jul 2015 - Nardil Taper 45mg - 0mg

Sep 2015: Restarted Nardil 60 mg due to panic attacks

March 2016: Started Nardil taper again

Jun 2016: Nardil 15 mg/day + Plus Gabapentin 1000 mg/day since 2008

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Fore, welcome to SA!

You are so wise when you say:

Note:  I am also on Gabapentin 1000mg a day.  This is a whole other nightmare.  I was originally given it as a "safe" anxiety medication when I first got sober 8 years ago.  I have become completely dependent on it and have to take it 3x a day or will start having withdrawals within a couple hours of missing my dose.  Like most of these meds, it can be extremely difficult to stop and has it's own miserable withdrawal symptoms.  I dream to one day be free from it, but I can only work on one thing at a time.  

That's right in keeping with our KSSS principle:  3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

It sounds like your updose was right in the slot for you, so please hold there for at least a month before starting your 10% tapers.  Meanwhile, study the links that Scallywag gave you, have a look around the site, and ask your questions here - it's better to keep your personal stuff in one thread.  It keeps a record of your journey, and it the most likely place for your questions to be seen and found.

While Nardil is not a "usual" antidepressant, we have found that ALL of these psych drugs respond very well to the conservative 10% taper.  And yes, it usually does get tricky the lower you get in your dose.  This kind of explains that:  The importance of tapering on plasma concentration

The same will apply to Gabapentin.  Different drugs have slightly different withdrawal symptoms - but then - the same drug in different people causes different symptoms, too.   We're all in this together.  You're doing well, you can do this, and it gets better.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 years later...

I have been taking Nardil for approximately 30 years.  Until  Tardive dyskensia was diagnosed by a neuropsychatrist. I have weaned from 45 mg daily to 15 mg a day in two months. I don't take any other meds. I have been sober in AA   for 5 years now. I feel heavy/low energy like I'm walking in molassas. I sleep deep and wake up groggy, headachy and stiff.  I used to wake right up and was alert so whats going on here ? I am also surprised there is not  more help for those who must discontinue their medication. There has been times in the past when I tried to quite nardil but went back on it.  Now I don't know what to do. I cant take gabapentin it knocks me out.  I always liked drugs to give me energy.  This is so hard.

I don't understand what I am supose to do

• ChessieCat changed the title to Foreseason: Tapering Nardil