spider123: 1 month post Zoloft

Spider123

New here. First post. 1 month since taking Zoloft 50
I'm feeling very depressed - I think this is part of the withdrawal? But I don't know ?
So low tonight I thought about taking the tablet again to escape
the feelings of despair- very self absorbed. Fatigued not sleeping well.
Hating myself and the world. Should be asleep but wide awake reading
these brave stories of success and determination.
I began tapering the tab at a bad time - I am grieving the loss
of two much loved souls now. So many emotions mixed together to deal with.
My partner is away so no close support, feeling very alone.
Isolating myself and feeling full of shame.
But buoyed by the wonderful people sharing here. Thank you

I am off Zoloft 50 all together now. Tapered for a month.

Off the tab for 4 week now. Feel very depressed with brain

zaps - feeling fatigued and tired , getting lots of migraines.

Trouble sleeping. Is this part of the withdrawal?

Hi Spider,

I am so very sorry to hear about your recent losses.  Your brain and body are experiencing so much right now, physically, mentally, and emotionally.  I am not a moderator but hopefully one will come along shortly to advise you on up-dosing (though I am not sure how much) to get more stable and then do a slow, even taper from there.  Meanwhile, if you haven't already read this stuff, here is some helpful reading.  Actually everything on the forum home page is helpful, as in just reading about others' experiences, as it seems as you have already done a bit of....that's how we all end up here...it makes the most sense and everyone "gets it".  You are not alone and are in the best place.

Best wishes.  You will get better.  I wish there was a time table on grief but there isn't.  Perhaps if you get feeling a bit more stable, it will help you process your grief with friends of someone who cares.

Best,

Grace

http://The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

http://What is withdrawal syndrome?

http://Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

A couple more links to address your questions/problems...

http://About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

http://READ THIS Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Hope this all makes you more hopeful....

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Thank you Grace so much. I will read all you have sent to me

Yes I think I am dealing with far too much right now. But being here

Is a real blessing - I do feel understood and in good company.

A couple more clarifying questions...

How long were you on Zoloft? Was 50 mg. your highest dose? Have you ever taken other psychiatric drugs?

I am glad you feel less alone. That's what SA is for.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

hopefulUSA -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums enlightening and helpful for your taper. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us. It's good that you've realized your symptoms are the result of a fast taper.

Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and any discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.

Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears: select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

In addition, setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

Grace has got you started with some helpful topics/threads in the forum. Here's some additional reading relevant to your situation:

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

This topic has information and discussion about reinstating. Please read it and come back to this thread and post any questions you have. About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

How do you feel about going back to a tiny dose -- much lower than your last one -- of Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi all

Thanks for replying so promptly.

I was on Zoloft for 1 year approx.

50mg a day was the highest dose.

I had been on Zoloft before a few years back for a period

Of a few years.

Sorry I'm not clear on this. My brain is foggy and details

are not clear that far back. I can get the info.

I do not recall any huge withdrawal problems just the

Brain zaps - I call them. I think I coped reasonable well.

I feel a bit nervous going back on a very low dose.

But as I am struggling to cope ( esp trying to work full time)

I think it might be wise. But what dose?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that you've lost two souls dear to you.  Is now the right time to taper the Zoloft? 

I wanted to taper off Cymbalta in 2015 and had made an appointment with my family doctor to discuss the plan. By the time I met with her, someone close to me had died unexpectedly and my mother's health and faculties were declining rapidly.  My doctor suggested that I wait at least 6 months before putting my energy and attention to that.  It was the right decision for me to wait.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Hi Spider 123,

So sorry to hear of your losses. Grief is so overwhelming and heart wrenching, and to experience two such devastating blows so close together feels like more than we humans were meant to bear.

Grief is what got me started down the terrible rabbit hole of poly-drugging so I know where you are coming from. I applaud your strength at reaching out at such a difficult time. 

You are not alone. Better days are ahead.

Peace, love and healing.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Yes I see the error of my ways so to speak.

I am completely off them now.

My personal lose was part way through the taper

amidst it all - I just carried on.

Now the rot has set in.

Not sure what to do and at what amount ?

Will be guided by the good supports here

Thank you so much

• Moderator Emeritus

Oops, I misread and/or misinterpreted the timing of your taper.

Your last dose of Zoloft was somewhere around May 24. What dose (mg) was that and how long had you been on that dose?

We'll get this sorted out and hopefully you'll see relief quickly. You're well within the time-frame that a low-dose reinstatement is likely to work.

scallywag's Introduction

Yes I see the error of my ways so to speak.

I am completely off them now.

My personal lose was part way through the taper

amidst it all - I just carried on.

Now the rot has set in.

Not sure what to do and at what amount ?

Will be guided by the good supports here

Thank you so much

You weren't the one who made the error. Years ago when psychiatry and the rest of medicine decided to pathologize normal human emotions like grief they screwed us all over. You don't need to feel guilty. Feel free to be pissed, but never guilty.

I really can't advise you on technical issues like reinstatement, etc. I haven't been at this long enough. All I know is that I've managed to screw this up completely, but I'm still here. If that's any consolation.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Hi Scallywag

I did have all this written down

Now cannot find it.

I stopped on May 20th that I know - it's on the calendar

Over a period of a month starting April

I first halved the 50mg tab for approx 2 weeks at 25mg

Then halved it again ( with pill cutter) to approx 12mg

for approx 7 days

Then cut this in half to 5 or 6mg ( pill cutter) was a bit

hard to get it really accurate.

That was my smallest dose for about 7 days approx

Ending on May 20th

Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Your memory is serving you well -- your summary is exactly what I was looking for. 

Please read this topic: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I'm cribbing notes from another moderator, SquirrellyGirl:

We usually suggest that people

1. Start with 1 mg to test for adverse reactions that may have developed once the nervous system has been sensitized
  2. Then allow a week to evaluate: 4 days for the drug to reach a steady state in  your body; 3-4 more to see how your nervous system reacts.
  3. If symptoms are alleviated, hold there for at least a month. If symptoms are not alleviated after 1 week @ 1 mg, increase the dose a small amount, and repeat step 2.

We've found that this is a better approach for *most* people than guessing a larger dose and possibly overshooting the mark. Your system needs stability not changes. Until you reach the right dose, however, it's safer to sneak up on the right dose from lower doses than higher ones.

How about trying 1 mg Zoloft?  As you've said, cutting the tablet to that dose is imprecise.  You can make a solution/liquid if you have any zoloft tablets left:

• Put 1 tablet (50 mg) in measuring cup/container.
  • Fill the cup with water to the 250 ml line.
  • Let the tablet dissolve.
  • Shake or stir the liquid.
  • 5 ml of the liquid = 1 mg of Zoloft; approximately 1 teaspoon.

It's perfectly natural to be nervous about reinstating when you worked to come off the drug.  The risk is low because you'll be taking a very small dose; the upside is that it might make things. better.

Let us know what you decide and how it's going. 

scallywag's Introduction

So very grateful for all your support and detailed advice.

I do feel much more comfortable about this and even hopeful

Which is amazing. As last night I was at rock bottom.

Starting low like this 1mg is low risk as you say.

It's such a learning curve reading all of the advice

stories and experiences on this support site.

You all deserve medals and I imagine you feel very

rewarded helping people like me.

Bless you all. I promise to report back and seek advice

when I need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all

Ok got a compound pharmacy to make up my needs

Started 1mg Zoloft on 25th June

In about 6 days felt better.

Now July 6th in Australia and I am feeling flat and very down again.

I had no bad or sensitive reaction when I started back on the Meds. at 1mg.

Could I take more ? If so how much more ? I want to feel able to cope with day to day work etc

Do I go up slowly 1mg at a time? If so for how long - a month at a time ? I have no clue ?

Maybe 2mg would do the trick ?

Many thanks again.

Scallywag gives good advice

You need to stabilize Spider. Now is not the time to try and brave it

I've just decided to go on Lexepro because I am wading through so much crap on every level and I am not in a supportive environment.

Due to an immigration clerical I have to fly 36 hours to NZ within a month to do consular processing on a visa. There is no way I'll last 26 hours on a plane without sedation. So if you need meds right now take them until things settle.

Lots of love to you

• Moderator Emeritus

Give the 1 mg another week, spider, and keep track of your symptoms on paper and/or here in your introduction topic. 

Are you taking the sertraline 1mg at the same time every day?

scallywag's Introduction

Hi

Yes taking at same time everyday.

I too am under enormous pressure at work & my husband is far away. All causing great ongoing stress.

So will battle on for another week. And record symptoms.

NZ is a lovely place not too far from Australia

I understand long distant flying is difficult

Lots of people medicate to cope with the anxiety

I wish you a safe journey.

Thank you

If I'm the same in a weeks time.

What suggested amount should I try ? To achieve stability.

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

It will depend on your symptom pattern.

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 year later...

How are you feeling now, spider123?

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.