SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MeAngel Prozac Withdrawal Help.

MeAngel

Thanks Scallywag. It seems that the 1 capsule I took made me feel irritated within 15-20 minutes. So, I probably wont take anymore.

All I do is Google and search and read all day trying to figure out how to help myself and make this go away.

On Prozac (Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4 months Jan-May. Stopped cold turkey 5 weeks ago. Currently experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. No other SSRI history. First psych med experience.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MeAngel

• scallywag

• JanCarol

• PatriciaVP

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, 7 weeks later, my symptoms are feeling quite like they did in the beginning.

On Prozac (Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4 months Jan-May. Stopped cold turkey 5 weeks ago. Currently experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. No other SSRI history. First psych med experience.

I hope I am nit posting here too much. It's just I have no one to talk to about this and therefore no one to provide comfort or support.

I don't have any friends. And my family relationships are not that good. Essentially, I am aline.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Me - 

When you tried a reinstatement before, you probably tried a full dose, which would be horrible to experience.

We only recommend reinstatements of tiny amounts, the smallest possible amount (Alto suggests 1/2 mg, 0.5 mg, a very small amount)  - to minimize side effects, but to also address the symptoms of withdrawal.  Any doc-in-a-box or emergency room can give you a script for liquid prozac, which should last you awhile.

The window of opportunity for reinstatement is closing.  We've done this before, on SA, and while it doesn't always work - the relief that happens when it does is a beauty to behold.

Additionally, you had your first window - a whole day long!  Wow!  Some people only get a 5 minute window, or "foggy windows" to start.

Recovery happens in Waves and Windows and it's not uncommon for the window (the good day) to be followed by a wave.  That you have had a window means that you are healing, and when you are in a wave, it means that "systems are closed for repairs."  Do not be alarmed, do not fight them.  They are symptoms of withdrawal, not some permanent or diseased state.  They will pass, but you have to be patient with your body and brain and nervous system.

You are making progress. 

It is vital, as others have posted here before me, that you find and build your toolkit for dealing with your emotional swings.  Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms   You will need to deal with these to save your marriage, you will need to deal with them to help your children.  These tools are not just for withdrawal, they are for life.  I provided a number of tools in my early posts to you.  When you are feeling down, re-read your thread, and follow the links, and see what you can find that helps you.

It's different for everyone.  Some people like to dance, some people like hot baths, some people like yoga, others like mindfulness meditation.  Everyone is different - it's up to you to find what works for you.

I like to say, follow your pleasure.  What makes it better?  Is it eating certain foods?  Time spent outside?  Hot epsom salts baths?  We cannot come into your house and physically help you - it is up to you to help yourself.  The tools are here, but it is up to you to use them.

Sorry the mag and fish oil didn't work, it looks like you are hypersensitive now, and that water and good diet will be essential.  If you want to look more into diets that have helped in withdrawal, we have a few topics for that, too:

SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

Histamine food intolerance

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

-JanCarol

Thank you. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to, such as:

I get sleepy often, but I try to go about life as normal. I try not to be bed ridden. What do you recommend for rest schedules? I don't want to rest too much or not enough?

Secondly, I had bad allergies before this psych med ordeal, so, since withdrawal began, Ive had allergy systems come and go, like headaches, stuffy nose, sore throat, stuffy ears, etc. Do you think using an antihistamine would help me?

Lastly, If I just "do nothing" in regards to not taking any additional supplements, not reinstating, just eating as healthy as I can, drinking water, resting when I can, will my brain heal regardless? I have given reinstatement considerable thought, but I don't think it's the answer for me. I don't want to be dependant on psych meds to function or feel normal. My brain was fine before this, besides, I suck at math, and I don't think I could do the whole taper schedule thing once I reinstated. Ultimately, even after reinstating and tapering, isn't it entirely possible that I could end up back in withdrawal either way? Then I'm back at square one. Reinstatement sounds like I'd be restarting and prolonging the process. My brain still might go bonkers once I taper down to ZERO. No bueno.

Any thoughts on these three points/questions would be most helpful ????

Can anyone help me with these ???????????? questions directly above?

Hello Me Angel-

Since you appear to be a woman of faith, I wanted to share some thoughts with you that I hope will help.

It just so happened that not long after I began this journey, my two closest lifelong friends were also going through their own difficulties. We started to study the book You'll Get Through This by Max Lucado. In this book, Mr. Lucado focuses on the story of Joseph the son of Jacob in the old testament. Joseph is cast into a well, sold into slavery by his own brothers (and we think we have awful families) and eventually imprisoned on false charges. After all this, he rose to be the Pharaoh's second-in-command and basically saved the known world at the time by carefully planning for a seven year drought that only he saw coming. When his bothers were forced to come to him for food during the famine, they were understandably a little freaked out when they saw him. They had assumed he was dead long ago, and now, there he was, the most powerful man in the world with every reason to want them dead. But he said:

"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive." Genesis 50:20

Intended for evil, used for good. To me, this is one of the most profound statement in the Bible. A book bursting with profound statements. By giving us these medications, I don't think anyone actually meant us evil, but evil was done all the same. What our faith gives us is the understanding that no matter what we face, no matter how awful it may seem, it will ALWAYS be used for good.

I know how awful what you're going through is. How badly you want it to stop. I completely understand crying out to God for relief. Even Jesus did that in the Garden of Gethsemane. "If it be possible take this cup from me."

But consider for a moment that God is allowing you to endure this so that He can reveal something wonderful and profound that you would never have understood without this process. It wont take the pain away, but it may make it easier to bear. Remember He is with you, even when you can't sense his presence.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you." (Isaiah 43:2) 

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

-PatriciaVP

Thank you SO MUCH for this! ❤❤❤

Made me cry! I really needed to hear that. Thank you and God bless you!

Today will be my last post here.

Big thanks to everyone here who has offered me help and kind words. Bigger thanks to those who have been patient with me.

I'm not sure how much longer I have until I am fully recovered, but I will keep my faith in my God who has never failed me yet. I know He will deliver me in time.

You all take care.

• Moderator Emeritus

Any particular reason you are not continuing to post, MeAngel?

Did someone/something upset you?

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

MeAngel,

I'm glad what I wrote has given you peace and hope. I'm thrilled that you have decided to continue to put your faith in God to get you through this.

I just wanted to say that continuing to have contact with people who have been where you are and can continue to lend a supportive ear can be priceless during this time as well. Perhaps recording your journey here can help you see what God has in store for you as you go.

Just a thought. Peace be with you.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Me, I hope you stay.

Firstly, sleep when you are tired, wake when you are awake.  I'm not the wisest nut in the nutcracker, but I almost have no choice but to do otherwise.  The deep fatigue which I have, means that I now plan my life around my sleep (which is good).  But it screws up my life.

(I used to plan my sleep around my life - but that just screwed up my sleep - I decided that sleep was important for my mood.  But that's my choice)

Allergies.  Hmmm.  I suspect it was the first generation antihistamines which "triggered" me into depression and mood disorders to begin with.  I have been on antihistamines continuously since 1972.  It's the longest drug in my system.  At this point, I figure it is better to have them than to be constantly grumpy and headachey and sinus-y so I take 1/2 tablet of a non-drowsy.

Additionally, it is important to know that first gen antihistamines (and maybe the newer non-drowsy ones, too) are kin to the tricyclic drugs.  This shocked my socks off!  But I have submitted to the evil of 1/2 antihistamine a day.  Perhaps someday I will be able to let go of that one.

Thirdly:  Even if you DON'T take gentle diet and healthy lifestyle plans, your brain will continue to heal.  But going easy on your nervous system, feeding your body with good nutrition, challenging your cognitive capacity through learning new things (I heard about a study on table tennis tonight, and learning a new language), as well as finding emotional coping strategies - should be the fastest way to heal.

That said, plan on at least a year before you start to see yourself again.  If it happens sooner, it's a bonus - but this is a slow process, rebuilding a brain, and like the blooming of a rose, rushing it does not make a better flower.

I hope you choose to stay, I think you still have some time in withdrawal before you are "out of the woods."

But it does get better.  Slowly, surely, patiently - it does get better.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

-Scallywag

Thank you. I have read that thread multiple times before. Not sure what symptoms it helps besides brain zaps? I don't have those much. I have headaches, dizziness, Drowsiness, blurred vision, emotional anesthesia, and memory trouble as of now.

My symptoms seem to come and go, alternating between the days/weeks. Magnesium made my headaches worse. So, Fish oil is my last option. Otherwise I am stuck.

I will tell you that the fish oil definitely helps me with body anxiety.  If I forget my morning dose, I will experience body anxiety during the day, which is usually mild but still not pleasant.  I use a high DHA fish oil.  I've never had a single brain zap, so can't say whether it helps though it seems to do so anecdotally.    It also makes sense to take from the standpoint that those fats are important for brain health and repair, and that is what is going on in withdrawal - repair.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi everyone. I'm back.

Does stopping antidepressants cold turkey cause permanent brain damage? I read that online. It bothered me, for obvious reasons (I stopped cold turkey).

If there any truth to that?

• Moderator Emeritus

Nope nothing permanent.    http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2761-neuroplasticity-and-limbic-retraining/

My husband has a golf sized hole in his brain from a stroke.  The hole is still there.  He lost his language and ability to read.  But there he is - after a lot of hard work - reading at his computer now, and he had 10 good years of work after the stroke.  Norman Doidge, "The Brain that Heals Itself" is an inspiration, you might look for some of his talks on YouTube.  Nobody knows about that hole when they meet him, he seems as normal as you and me.

He does get tired easy, or struggle with multitasking (but hey, he's a man, he had trouble with that, anyway), and he no longer likes social settings much - but some of that is hearing and references to things that he doesn't understand.  But to just meet him, work with him, have a chat with him - he's more normal than I am, that's for sure.

Cold turkey is the roughest course.  It is survivable, but it's choosing the dive over the cliff instead of the slow careful descent.  It's rougher than a slow taper.  It's why the "revolving door" in hospitals, and high "relapse rate" on antidepressants and other psych drugs, because doctors rip them off and switch them like there's no effect at all.  They are wrong.  What they don't realize is that MOST of the effect is AFTER the initial crisis, and can be ongoing for awhile.  Sometimes, a CT will be fine, then a year out - a situation will happen - and wham!  The symptoms hit.  

That's why we recommend reinstatement early, it's like having a guy-wire or a harness when you are rapelling off a cliff - so that you don't hit the bottom with full force.  On a taper, you still may end up bouncing painfully in places down the cliff, but if you made the entire fall at once - and took 6 months to land - and hit bottom - then it becomes very hard to put Humpty back together again.  The reinstatement is to hold you together so that you can descend gently the rest of the way.  Usually, by the time the symptoms are extreme, it is too late for reinstatement to help.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9451-delayed-onset-of-withdrawal-symptoms/

I just had a thought for you - one of the things which freed me from my oppressive upbringing was that my neighbor was sick.  Her tragedy was my benefit.

I know those were different times (the 70's) and "stranger danger" is so prevalent now.  But she was right next door to me, and had these horrible crippling migraines, and 2 young daughters, 4 and 18 months.  I suspect there was a psych element to her illness as well, but I was only a kid.

Anyhow, they hired me, as a neighbor kid to come in and help.  Sometimes the Mum was there, but too sick to cook or clean, or play with the kids.  Often, she just stayed in bed, in a dark room, and we had to be very quiet for the Mom.   So sometimes I had adult supervision, but I also know I was a key part of their lives, and I learned so much being exposed to adults who were not my parents.

Is there a neighbor girl who could come in and help you to earn some extra money for her future college or car or iPhone - while helping you around the house?  Is that still done?  It changed my life, and it could help yours, too.

(sadly, I lost touch with the family in the 80's, and they have very common US names (imagine a google search for "Bob and Mary Jones") and I cannot find them anymore.  Those girls would be in their 40's now!)

-JanCarol Thank you. You are most helpful.

In regards to reinstatement, Is there a chance that after a reinstatement and a slow taper that I could end up in another bad withdrawal? Starting all over and prolonging the process of getting ff, staying off, and healing from Prozac?

Many seem to have tapered and still suffered withdrawal. It seems risky.

Do you thnk 4 months of 10mgs of Prozac will cause me to still be suffering years from now? I really hope not.

-JanCarol

I hope this is the worst of my symptoms. I've prayed that they get no worse.

What is considered long term antidepressant use, and what is considered short term use? These phrases are thrown around in literature I'm reading, but what is the corresponding timeline to such terms?

The worst of my symptoms lately are the headaches and the unfocused/blurred vision. I went to the optometrist for a vision exam about 3 weeks ago and my vision was 20/20. He offered to prescribe me reading glasses. But that's it. No eye disease or anything.

I will be glad when it returns to normal. Has anyone else experienced this with the vision?

• Moderator Emeritus

MeAngel, I would say you are a short-term case, not long term, which I think is a year or more.  You have every reason to believe that this chapter will be behind you in the not too distant future.  There are no absolutes when it comes to getting off these drugs, but I think you are in a far better position than those of us who have been on the meds for 20 years!

As for the headaches and blurred vision, you are not alone:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6380-vision-symptoms-floaters-snow-blurred-or-dimmed-vision-etc/

As JC wrote, the whole idea of the slow taper is to allow your nervous system to do the healing WHILE you are tapering.  A cold turkey or too fast taper means most or all of the healing is to be done AFTER you come off, and it can be very rough as you are experiencing.  Unfortunately, none of us can assure you that if you stay the course without a RI that you'll only feel this bad X number of months longer.  To do so would be irresponsible of us since if you are the outlier and we said you'd be done sooner, you'd be very angry with us!  We are all different and though we see some generalities with withdrawal, like the windows and waves, we can't give you a time line about what you will experience or for how long.

It sounds to me like you've been spending a lot of time researching, which is very common of folks in withdrawal - we obsess and research the heck out of this.  However, there comes a point at which it is more harmful to do so than to not, because it keeps you stressed as you worry about the information you find that leaves you with doubt and fear.  We often joke on here to "step away from the computer!"  I have been doing so, myself, and have actually felt more engaged in life.  

People seem to recover faster the sooner they can Acknowledge they are in withdrawal, Accept that what is, IS, and let the feelings about it Float on by (Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System).

Be sure to take the fish oil and magnesium if you can.  Both are very supportive of healing.  I have found if I forget the fish oil I may have body anxiety, but then when I take it, that settles.  We are all deficient in magnesium and it plays an important role in nerves.  I use a high DHA fish oil, and magnesium glycinate which is easily tolerated.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

-SquirrellyGirl

Thank you for your response. I found it to be very comforting. ???? I do have both fish oil and Magnesium at home with me. I tried them, but found they either made me anxious or gave me a headache. Right now, I'm just tryingbto eat healthy and drink water. I added lemon water to my regimen. Apparently, its supposed to be a good detoxifying agent. Also, today I am staryed my gentle exercise regimen. Hopefully I can stick to it.

I read the vision disturbances link. I see that it is common in WD. But, has anyone recovered from the vision disturbances? The posts seem to date backnquite a while with no updates ????

Odd question:

Has anyone else found that hair products, face washes, or skin products are activating? Its reallybweird, but I find thatbI get headaches after using certain products during WD. Anyone else have that happen?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup - I find anything with essential oils in it now causes me to react with red/itchy/irritated skin.  Pre w/d I'd had no problems.  I now wash my hair with a mixture of egg yolk and honey, then rinse that out with apple cider vinegar diluted in water.  Works a treat, and I don't react to it.  Actually, it feels beautifully nourishing. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Looking back on my journey and healing today. I'm now 8 weeks Fluoxetine free. Almost 2 months out. Looking at where my withdrawal symptoms were then, and where they are now:

Early Symptoms:

Heart palpitations

Anxiety

Extreme fatigue mentally/physically

Derealization

Blunted emotions

Blurred vision

Sleepy

Drunken feeling

Inability to concentrate

Inability to type/read

Zero Memory

Insomnia

Tremors

Extreme headaches

Sinus trouble

Stuffy ears/nose

Popping noise in head

No appetite

Sensitivity to light/sound

Shortness of breath

Trouble breathing

Stiff neck

Dry mouth

Now symptoms:

Mild Headache on/off

Short term memory trouble

Somewhat blunted emotions

Daydreaming

Blurred/unfocused vision on/off

Muffled hearing on/off

Sensitivity to products

I've come further than I thought. God is good! ????

Good for you...looks like definite improvement! :)

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

When does the blunted emotions effect stop? So far, the most consistant emotions that I feel are apathy, sadness, anger, indifference. I wonder when my full range will come back?

According to literature, Fluoxetine can take up to 3 months to fully leave the body. Im almost at month 2. Perhaps my emotions are still blunted due to the meds that may still remain in my system. Or maybe it's just withdrawal/neuro issues. I don't really know. Just hope it's not permanent.

How long did it take you guys to feel a normal range of emotions?

Can anyone tell me what is considered long term antidepressant use vs. what is considered short term antidepressant use?

MeAngel. I think that is a relative and perhaps a personal concept. I was on them for close to 20 years so I think that would put me in the long term category versus someone who was on them for 2- 3 months , putting them in the short term definition.  Either way , the effects can be extreme but having said that they are surmountable.

We heal in our own time.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG,

Thank you for answering :)

Hey guys, what can I do about my anhedonia? I can feel anger, sadness, my sex drive/pleasure is fine.

But happiness, joy, excitement is MISSING. I haven't felt ANY of those three since I stopped fluoxetine 8 weeks ago. What can/should I do to help myself?

• Moderator Emeritus

I think the fact that your sex drive/pleasure are fine is a really good sign, MeAngel!

Here's a thread on anhedonia where posters aren't as fortunate as you:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2873-anhedonia-apathy-demotivation-emotional-numbness/

SG

Hi MeAngel,

Just thought I'd drop by to see how things are going. I see your symptoms have really improved. Congratulations!

I've actually started having vision problem the last couple of days too. It's not akathesia or hours of crying like before so I'm fine with it.

Just wanted to encourage you to keep trusting the Lord. He'll get you through this.

Peace, love and healing.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

PatriciaVP

Thank you for checking in on me. I'm having a rough day today. My eyes have been burning and my vision is a bit cloudy as well. I am plagued mentally with thoughts that I will never be the same after experiencing what I now know to be called the "chemical lobotomy" that is psych drugs.

I just want to be healed from this and have my full range of emotions back. I pray God has mercy on me and restores my mind, body, and soul.

My neurologist just offered me Depakote ????????????????

A few days ago I went to the gym and have had a headache since then. They had stopped prior to me going to the gym. Perhaps I was too aggressive in the gym. Either way, nothing I try relieves the headaches. Not even magnesium. I don't take pain pills anymore. I refuse to poison my body any further. I pray the headaches stop for good--SOON!