Lorinewmi: My 8 week battle with discontinuation syndrome

Lorinewmi

I'm not really sure what to do about the hormonal stuff- I don't want to stop birth control and to be honest, I can't. @scallywag you mentioned skipping the placebo helps? How so? I'm finding my anxiety is better during the placebo week. 

Was on 10 mg of citalopram for 4 years and 150 mg of wellbutrin for 4 years. Went off wellbutrin the beginning of Feb 2016 and felt fine. Went off citalopram end of April 2016. I tapered for 3 weeks. 1 week later I became dizzy, lightheaded, and rocking ever since. Anxiety is through the roof. Sleep problems began early September 2016. I just want this to go away. I've been miserable. How long does this last?

Currently take 40mg Vyvanse only for work- Monday-Friday, fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin c, and b complex. 

Is it normal to be having sleep problems after 4 months off my meds? I thought I was getting better, I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Now all of a sudden this happens. I don't get it. Is this normal?

Was on 10 mg of citalopram for 4 years and 150 mg of wellbutrin for 4 years. Went off wellbutrin the beginning of Feb 2016 and felt fine. Went off citalopram end of April 2016. I tapered for 3 weeks. 1 week later I became dizzy, lightheaded, and rocking ever since. Anxiety is through the roof. Sleep problems began early September 2016. I just want this to go away. I've been miserable. How long does this last?

Currently take 40mg Vyvanse only for work- Monday-Friday, fish oil, multivitamin, vitamin c, and b complex. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not unusual.  Many members here have the same problem.  Here are a couple of links:

Sleep Hypnosis, Guided Meditations, Calming Videos

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

You guys, this is just terrible. Sleep problems are just awful and my anxiety has hit the roof. If my mind is not stimulated or distracted I have a huge pit in my stomach that won't go away. It's like I'm having a permanent panic attack. The worst part about it- it's for no reason. No reason at all. I am happy and doing well, I don't have much stress in my life right now and my life is great! The only thing that helps is Xanax and I do not want to get addicted to another drug. I've taken it 4 nights in a row and I just can't do it. 

Why is this happening? When will it go away? Does anyone have insight or advice? This is just awful!!!!!!!!! 

Just when I was getting better I am suddenly worse than EVER! :(

...he diagnosed withdrawal immediately and gave me an emergency supply of diazepam to help.  24 hrs later and I am feeling a lot better.

Did you take the diazepam?  Its not a good idea to use a benzo to relieve the symptoms of antidepressant withdrawal.  If you take it irregularly, it can cause rebound anxiety, leading to further destabilization.  If you take it regularly, dependance may occur and then it will also need to be tapered.

I've been dealing with awful anxiety and unable to sleep for about a week. This happened out of nowhere! I have a prescription to xanax which is the only thing that's helped. My anxiety is horrible and through the roof! I've only taken xanax 4-5 times, do you think that's why my anxiety is so bad? It's worse than ever. Should I not take xanax when I can't sleep and just deal with it? What do you guys think of GABA?I tried it last night and I'm AWFUL today. Any help would be much appreciated! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi lorinewmi,

I've moved your post in Joy's topic into your own Intro/Update topic.  It will keep your history together.

I am unable to answer your question.  I'll check in later and see if someone responds.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their thoughts on your last two posts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lorinewmi,

I'm sorry you're having a wave of bad symptoms at the moment, it sounds like you are experiencing the typical pattern of recovery from coming off antidepressants too fast... Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

My response to your question about benzo use would be the same one I gave to Joy back in 2014. They are not helpful when trying to recover from antidepressant withdrawal. They may temporarily suppress some of the symptoms, especially the anxiety and insomnia. But in a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal, they can very quickly turn paradoxical, making symptoms much worse.

This happened to me, I got caught in the benzo trap while trying to manage symptoms of antidepressant withdrawal. But this was before I understood what was wrong with me. 

You may find better alternatives here:   Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

If I were you, I would read back through your topic from the beginning, especially this post

SG gave you some information about reinstatement, which would have been something I would have tried, knowing what I know now. Its still an option even now, but at 5 months off, there is less of a chance of it working, but still possible. Do consider it.

Let us know if you want to try and we can help you decide what dose to start with. Please read through the reinstatement topic, it explains the process and what to expect.

You would still become drug free eventually, but in a way where you remain functional in your life through the process. Of course, there is no guarantee it will work at this stage, but if it were me, I would try it. I'm still recovering from my too fast taper off lexapro in 2010. I spent 3 years trying to manage symptoms with various other drugs and supplements, getting worse all the time. It wasn't until I found this site and learned how to help myself that I really started to get better. But even so, its still taking a long time. I wish I had found this information sooner and had been able to reinstate and taper properly.

Unpleasant symptoms while recovering from withdrawal syndrome can last a long time, coming in waves after temporary periods of feeling better, This can disrupt your life for months and in some cases even years.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, I wish there was an easy cure for withdrawal syndrome... for all of us having to endure this difficult recovery process.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks so much Petunia! Reinstatement is not an option for me as I am going to try and get pregnant soon and I don't want any of these drugs in my system. What are your thoughts on the supplement GABA? I am just finding that my anxiety is so awful. I just want it to go away. It's mainly affecting my sleep. I also take Vyvanse so that could also be causing these issues. Do you recommend I stop the Vyvanse until symptoms subside?

Hi Lorinewmi,

I noticed you are taking a B complex - many going thru withdrawal find this vitamin causes anxiety & insomnia because of sensitized CNS. People not going thru w/d are more likely to find vitamin B helpful. It is also possible the multivitamin may be interfering with your sensitive CNS. Also you could try buying a time released vitamin C and taking it at night to stop early morning cortisol spikes if you find you are waking early with anxiety. Some here also find taking magnesium glycinate (easier on the tummy then other magnesium) calming - or Epson salts baths before bed (also magnesium in Epsom). They suggest here you try one new supplement at a time to make sure you do not have a bad reaction & write down your symptoms when you take them to see if there is a pattern to figure out what is helpful and what is not. The fish oil is good - you may want to add vitamin E as this helps with absorbing the fish oil. Also if you are having trouble falling asleep and are finding your sleep cycle is getting out of wack a small amount of melatonin is helpful for many to fall asleep, and re-set when your body should go to sleep though it does not help with early morning awakenings. Health food stores often sell melatonin in large amounts when the body only makes far less to go sleep and taking too much melatonin can cause the opposite effect. If you can find melatonin in 1 mg pills and then use a pill cutter to cut them in quarters that is closer to the amount the body naturally makes. I could only find 2 mg pills so I cut them into 1/8's. Here they recommend you take it at nightfall. I take mine about an hour before I want to sleep and that seems to work. I only take it for 3 - 5 days when I am going thru a patch of insomnia to re-set my cycle as I have read the effect can wear off if you take it every night. Best of luck to you.

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

Thanks Herewego! That was really helpful! 

I also tried magnesium w/ calcium and it made my anxiety worse. Maybe I was taking the wrong kind? How long does this anxiety stuff last? I just want it to go away. :(

I can't take any supplements. They all give me anxiety! I find the anxiety is best with nothing but my Effexor and synthroid. It took me a long time to figure it out.

Quick rundown of med changes. Originally put on Effexor in High School. Probably 2002? Got up to 300mg. In 2009 was able to successfully taper off Effexor with no real problems. Went back on 4 months later after a very bad depressive episode. 2010 Started back on 37.5mg Effexor and did wonderfully. Until 2016.

2/9/16 Effexor 75mg 2/12/16 Effexor 112.5mg 3/3Effexor 75mg 3/12 effexor 37.5mg3/22/16 Lexapro 5mg 3/29/16 10mg lexapro4/10/16 started 50mg Zoloft 4/17/16 stopped Zoloft 4/30/16-5/5/16 Prozac 5/7/16 restarted 18.75mg (20 beads) Effexor. 6/6 to 6/13 attempted Prozac bridge again. 6/16 Effexor 12 beads 7/10 13 beads 7/19 20 beads 7/30 14 beads 10/17 started 1mg celexa in addition to 14 beads Effexor 10/18 2mg celexa 14 beads 10/20 5mg celexa, 14 beads

11/4 stopped Effexor, stopped celexa, started 50mg zoloft

2/2 dropped Zoloft 10% to 45mg 2/20 back to 50mg 3/3 75 mg Zoloft 3/23 reinstated effexor 37.5mg Zoloft to 50mg and tapering zoloft

4/5 75mg Effexor, no Zoloft 

4/10 150mg Effexor

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sick with a sinus infection and was prescribed antibiotics. I'm scared to take them because I know they bring on withdrawal symptoms. Any recommendations? I've been feeling really good lately and I don't want a setback. I was prescribed augmentin for 10 days. WOOF. Any ideas is much appreciated. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried nasal irrigation, e.g. a neti pot, with saltwater? Some people get good results with multiple sessions of nasal irrigation over several days. If you're interested, "Dr. Google" on "neti pot" would likely yield helpful information.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Does that mean I should not take the antibiotics?

As someone who did a cold turkey and has been in protracted withdrawal for 3 yrs, I'd say try the reinstatement.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion of nasal irrigation was a suggestion that might address both your reluctance to take the antibiotic and the sinus infection. You could try saline nasal irrigation for a few days, if there's no improvement then start the antibiotics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 3 months later...

I think I am experiencing a bad, long ass, wave. I wasn't sure what it was...I thought it was my allergies but now I think it's a wave. I'm back to being dizzy like how I felt when I first went off celexa...sometimes lightheaded where I feel like my head is disconnected from my body. It's been happening for about 3 weeks now. I seriously thought I had a sinus infection or an inner ear thing. I've been completely off anti depressants for 10 months, is it possible I'm having a wave? I've been off for so long and I was feeling really good for a while. Let me know if there is a possibility you can still have windows and waves even after 10 months off. 

I really hope I feel better soon- this totally sucks! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, waves can still happen.  Another mod has said that they can get less intense, don't last as long and there are bigger gaps between them as time goes on.

Have you seen these:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

• Mentor

I think I am experiencing a bad, long ass, wave. I wasn't sure what it was...I thought it was my allergies but now I think it's a wave. I'm back to being dizzy like how I felt when I first went off celexa...sometimes lightheaded where I feel like my head is disconnected from my body. It's been happening for about 3 weeks now. I seriously thought I had a sinus infection or an inner ear thing. I've been completely off anti depressants for 10 months, is it possible I'm having a wave? I've been off for so long and I was feeling really good for a while. Let me know if there is a possibility you can still have windows and waves even after 10 months off. 

I really hope I feel better soon- this totally sucks! 

Hi I was just reading thru your thread, I am sorry you are in a wave now

Can I ask, when did your insomnia improve, assuming it did (you said you've been feeling really good for a while so I'm guessing that means you can sleep now)

I am going thru severe insomnia and could just use some hope that it will improve sometime soon

I hope your dizziness ends soon. have there been any added stresses in your life lately? that could be a factor, also if it's that time of the month, that's a hard time for some women during WD

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Catnapt: Yes my insomnia did improve with the help of my therapist. What helps the most is being positive. Saying to yourself: "I am going to get a good night sleep" "I am going to sleep tonight" "What's the worst thing that will happen if I don't get a good night sleep?" "I'll be okay"

What also helps is that I get in bed and I don't look at my phone at all and I just have the TV on softly and watch stupid reality TV or something to get my mind off not being able to fall asleep. I was told that bright lights don't help with falling asleep but I personally need to have the TV on before I go to sleep. I did program my phone to go on "night shift" at 10PM every day. This is where the screen automatically gets darker so it's not as bright. I was told to not watch TV before bed but I do anyways. 

If you're having trouble falling asleep- put yourself to bed with no lights or distractions. If you can't fall asleep in 15 minutes, move to the couch and read a book until you get sleepy. Keep doing the 15 minute increments until you fall asleep. I was told your bed is for sleep only and nothing else. I also recommend downloading a couple of sleep apps to listen before bed. I like sleep well and there's a ton in the app store. Maybe it was all in my head but they DID help me. I also started drinking decaf or halfcaf (depending on the day) coffee as well. 

Honestly, most of it was in my head and I was giving myself SO much anxiety that I would start to shake with frustration and fear. It's all in your head, you are going to fall asleep. :)

Let me know if this helps! 

So frustrating that 10 months later a wave can happen. I don't think there is anything else that could make me feel dizzy and it just feels too familiar. I haven't been stressed but I just had an issue with my birth control where the manufacturer changed and it was giving me terrible side effects. I gained 10lbs and felt terrible about myself. I just realized it last week and went off immediately which then caused me to get my period. UGH I'm a mess. Maybe that was the trigger? IDK this is so annoying, I just want it to go away. I just want to feel normal again! 

I really have come a long way and overcome so many obstacles but this is just an annoying set back. It's also a reminder of when I went through and the frustrations that come with it. This has been going on for about 3-ish weeks which is a long time for a wave. I hope it goes away!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, there are definite connections between periods/hormones, birth control hormones, and w/d.  It sounds reasonable that it did trigger a wave. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2011-hormone-pills-birth-control-causing-relapse/

It will settle down again, given time.  Ugh though - having to deal with your period at the same time as a wave - not fair! 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Mentor

Catnapt: Yes my insomnia did improve with the help of my therapist. What helps the most is being positive. Saying to yourself: "I am going to get a good night sleep" "I am going to sleep tonight" "What's the worst thing that will happen if I don't get a good night sleep?" "I'll be okay"

What also helps is that I get in bed and I don't look at my phone at all and I just have the TV on softly and watch stupid reality TV or something to get my mind off not being able to fall asleep. I was told that bright lights don't help with falling asleep but I personally need to have the TV on before I go to sleep. I did program my phone to go on "night shift" at 10PM every day. This is where the screen automatically gets darker so it's not as bright. I was told to not watch TV before bed but I do anyways. 

If you're having trouble falling asleep- put yourself to bed with no lights or distractions. If you can't fall asleep in 15 minutes, move to the couch and read a book until you get sleepy. Keep doing the 15 minute increments until you fall asleep. I was told your bed is for sleep only and nothing else. I also recommend downloading a couple of sleep apps to listen before bed. I like sleep well and there's a ton in the app store. Maybe it was all in my head but they DID help me. I also started drinking decaf or halfcaf (depending on the day) coffee as well. 

Honestly, most of it was in my head and I was giving myself SO much anxiety that I would start to shake with frustration and fear. It's all in your head, you are going to fall asleep. :)

Let me know if this helps! 

HI I am just seeing this now

Oh I have no trouble getting to sleep the FIRST time but I only sleep for 60 to 90 mins and then I"m awake. :/

oh, I too need to fall asleep in front of the TV I know its not ideal and I am working on learning to sleep without it

I guess what bothers me the most is those long quiet hours after 3 am I feel so alone (and I am in fact alone) my thoughts go to dark places then and I have trouble distracting myself so I have to put the tv back on (I have read all the books in the house and lately have trouble seeing so reading will have to be saved for when my vision is better)

good idea about being positive about it!! and also to think about what is the worst that will happen if i dont sleep

I will have to do these things

thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it

may come back and write more later, it's past the time that i usually shut down the PC, usually i'm off by 7 pm

I do have this thing flux or some thing that dims the monitor but i still like to be off it early

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Just keep saying to yourself "I am going to get a good night sleep" "I am going to fall asleep" "I am going to sleep tonight" "I will be okay"

It totally sucks and the feeling of being along doesn't help. I also like to cook- something that helps me fall asleep is thinking about what meal I'm going to cook and how I am going to cook it...what spices I will use etc. Idk why but it helps me drift off and eases my anxiety. 

Let me know if any of this helps! 

KarenB- it's not fair! I seriously hate all drugs- even cold meds. I didn't even get a flu shot this year because I was scared it would affect my w/d. This particular birth control I was on was horrible! I'm so glad I'm off of it! Thanks so much for the link- I'm reading through it now.