SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Elexis: tapering fluoxetine / Prozac - did I come off too fast?

Elexis

Thank you for the reply :)  My pain didn't increase but I was worried about stopping the drug, also the tinnitus is quite bad & stressing me out - so perhaps that is the cause. 

Sounds like the ibuprofen is probably causing the tinnitus, I've been googling a bit but can't find much info on whether my getting off it is urgent. I worry a long taper could mean damage to my ears. So confusing!

Amitriptyline - 60mg, since 2011

Lyrica - 200mg since 2014

Prozac - 25mg/day 9 months in 2015. 1mg day since 2016.

Promethazine - 25mg, since 17 April 2020

Herbal nytol - since 2018

Alverine Citrate - 120mg twice a day since 2012

5htp - 50mg April 4th-21st. reinstated at 25mg May 27th. Off at 5mg 19th August. Reinstate 2.5mg 26th Aug.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Elexis: tapering fluoxetine / Prozac - did I come off too fast?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yes, tinnitus can be very annoying and frustrating.  It can make us irritable.  It might be helpful to investigate ways to cope with the tinnitus.

200mg is only a small dose.  It seems like you may have been stressed about stopping it and also by the tinnitus.  I think it might be better to stay off it.  You will need to try and be as calm and stress free as possible.

These might be helpful:

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the resources Chessie, much appreciated :) i've been working on relaxing more and the tinnitus while still audible is less bothersome. I was reading about otoxic drugs and saw on the list ssris, I am on fluoxetine and I'm wondering if there is any urgency to me coming off it? I did some searching on this website and found lots of people who reported tinnitus as a withdrawal symptom so I'm not if trying to speedily get off this drug would actually do more harm than good?

5htp - 50mg April 4th-21st. reinstated at 25mg May 27th. Off at 5mg 19th August. Reinstate 2.5mg 26th Aug.

• 5 months later...

Topic title:  tapering valerian

Hi guys i'm looking for some advice on coming off valerian. I have been taking herbal nytol every night for the past two years, it has hops valerian and passion flower. I did some searching on here and saw some stuff about valerian being similar in action to a benzo does this mean I have to be really cautious when tapering? I think the night all is making my tinnitus worse so I'm quite keen to get off it soon if possible. Thanks

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's SA's topic:  valerian-root

Yes it would most likely require tapering.  It may not need to be tapered as slowly as psychiatric prescription drugs but the idea is still the same. 

This topic may be helpful.  rhis-start-small-listen-to-your-body-taper-plan

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Elexis said:

I have been taking herbal nytol every night for the past two years, it has hops valerian and passion flower. I did some searching on here and saw some stuff about valerian being similar in action to a benzo does this mean I have to be really cautious when tapering? I think the night all is making my tinnitus worse so I'm quite keen to get off it soon if possible. Thanks

Are you currently tapering Prozac? You have "Prozac, 25mg/day since 2015" in your signature. 

If you're using Valerian to sleep and you're not able to sleep without it, you may want to stay on it until you're off Prozac. If it's causing side effects, as you mention tinnitus, you may want to try to reduce the dose to see if that will help. 

Because Valerian is a mild benzo in the way it works, you are correct to be concerned about tapering it. When it's time to come off, you may want to test the waters with a 10% reduction to see how you do. 

Have you ever been on a benzo in the past? If so, please taper extra slowly, as benzos (and benzo-like supplements) can lead to kindling. If you've never been on a benzo or z-drug (like Ambien) in the past, you may not have a hard time coming off, but do start out slowly, just as a precaution. 

Thanks for your reply, yes I am on Prozac and I'm not currently tapering it. Is there any risk to trying to taper valerian while I'm so on Prozac? I've never been on a benzo or anything similar, only been on Prozac and and try cyclic antidepressants.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see the below thread and in the first post where Alto discusses benzos, think of the Valerian as a benzo. 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

The main risk with removing the Valerian while on a SSRI is you'll stop sleeping. So if you do decide the side effects of the Valerian are bad enough to come off, I would taper very slowly and find other ways of handling any upticks in insomnia. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply I've had a good read of the thread and I think you're right I'll try and taper out the Prozac first

• 8 months later...

titled: 5 HTP and Tryptophan

i've been taking 40mg 5htp & 50mg l-tryptophan for 2 weeks for insomnia. Do I need to taper them if I want to stop? have experienced a spike in my PGAD symptoms (from a/d withdrawal 3years ago) since starting them.

Would lemon balm and magnesium be safer alternatives?

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from tapering, to introduction, added title

sorry my sig should read Prozac 1mg/day since 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Elexis and welcome back, @Elexis

Could you update your signature?

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

2. Enter your signature in the space provided.
  3. When you are done, Click on the big black Save button at the bottom.

Your signature appears under all your posts.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

That will be very helpful. 

How did you taper your Prozac?  And how are you doing overall?  WD(withdrawal) symptoms?  Waves and Windows?

Are you presently on any other drugs and/or supplements?

I'm including a couple links below that you should find helpful:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

and you'll see links to many other topics, in the first post ^

BASIC SUPPLEMENT TOOLKIT-  including these links, as well.  Many members find some relief of WD symptoms from these 2 supplements.  In general, we recommend adding in only one new thing, or making only one new change, at a time.  And then, best to start low in dosage, as well and observe.  Many of us have very sensitive nervous systems that develop while in WD, and so this is why we suggest this.

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

On 4/19/2020 at 8:49 AM, Elexis said:

i've been taking 40mg 5htp & 50mg l-tryptophan for 2 weeks for insomnia. Do I need to taper them if I want to stop? have experienced a spike in my PGAD symptoms (from a/d withdrawal 3years ago) since starting them.

Would lemon balm and magnesium be safer alternatives?

If it's only been 2 weeks, you might be able to taper off the 5HTP and l-tryptophan more quickly.  I would expect that dependency may just be developing now to these 2 substances.  Perhaps reducing by 1/4 of the dose at a time, until off.

And here is our topic:  5-HTP(5- hydroxytryptophan) and l-tryptophan

Yes, on magnesium.  I don't know on lemon balm, and I think if I were you........I might hold off on additions right now, other than perhaps trying a small amount of magnesium, until we see where you are at, after the other supplements.  And it looks like we do have a topic on Lemon Balm

We really don't endorse a whole lot more than the Magnesium and Omega 3's though, as far as supplements go.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

^as well as other symptoms of the autonomic nervous system.  Do take a read through the first post in that one, and then you'll see a whole indexed list of topics to pursue too. 

I found time and non-drug coping to be the best for my own healing from years of drugs.

And okay, welcome back.  Please let us know how you are doing.  This is your Introduction page, and a great place for you to post updates, and ask questions, specific to your circumstance.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi, thanks for the reply! I'll write a proper response later just wanted to quickly ask - in terms of reducing the dose 1/4 at a time, would that be 1/4 reduction per week or month? or quicker than that? thank you!

On 4/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, manymoretodays said:

How did you taper your Prozac?  And how are you doing overall?  WD(withdrawal) symptoms?  Waves and Windows?

Are you presently on any other drugs and/or supplements?

The Prozac was an abrupt taper by my Dr which caused PGAD, I reinstated at 1mg thanks to advice on here & it helped a lot.

WD symptoms reducing slowly over the years, these days I'm generally at a 2 or 3 all day, up to a 5 if stressed. However, past two weeks I've been more like 4-5 going up to a 7 if stressed. The PGAD used to wake me up in the night about once every 3-4 months, but it's happened 3 times in the past two weeks. I'm guessing the 5-HTP and Tryptophan are to blame. Since they're causing WD symptoms to flare back up am I safest to stay on them & let things stabilise or try and get off them now before I get dependent? 

Thanks for those links, I'll give those threads a good read :)

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Elexis said:

I'm guessing the 5-HTP and Tryptophan are to blame.

I would taper off those supplements, reduce by 25% every few days.

Did they help you sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Did they help you sleep?

A slight improvement but fairly hit and miss :(

Forgot to mention - Drs gave me promethazine for past 10 days for my insomnia, do I need to taper it to stop? Don't think I can get any more but I have dipenhydramine in the house, would that help if I can't taper the promethazine? (silly sleep-deprived me taking things without doing my research again)

sorry I meant 25mg promethazine for 9 days.

Last night was my first night without the promethazine & I feel really dizzy & nausea today. Could be a coincidence since I'm currently ill. Might be able to get more promethazine from the docs tomorrow if you think it's worth reinstating and doing a proper taper?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Elexis,

With just 10 days usage, you might do okay. 

How's your sleep going?  How are you feeling today?

Here's what we've got on:

Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia

I think if I were you, I might just try a fraction of your previous dose of promethazine, if you do decide to retry it.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

just follow the instructions in ^

And thank you, that really helps us out a lot.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi, I decided to retry it, had some 10mg tablets in house so took 20mg. Not sure what to do now - should I hold at 20mg while I'm tapering the  5-HTP? Or just start reducing the dose?

Sorry I'll have to update the signicture later, I have all my medication history noted in a jotter somewhere but can't find it yet :( 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Elexis said:

Hi, I decided to retry it, had some 10mg tablets in house so took 20mg. Not sure what to do now - should I hold at 20mg while I'm tapering the  5-HTP? Or just start reducing the dose?

Sorry I'll have to update the signicture later, I have all my medication history noted in a jotter somewhere but can't find it yet :( 

What drug are you talking about? How do you feel, having taken 20mg?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 4/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, Altostrata said:

What drug are you talking about? How do you feel, having taken 20mg?

promethazine, still dizzy & nausea but think thats just cos im ill

• Administrator

What type of illness?

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What type of illness?

think its a cold/flu

Been on promethazine 16 days now (25mg for 10 days, 20mg for 4 days) seems to help insomnia. Should I hold at 20mg while I'm tapering the  5-HTP? Or just start reducing the dose?

Also whats a good jump off point for the 5htp taper? currently on 5mg 5htp & 4mg l-tryptophan

Pls can someone advise? x

• Administrator

How are you feeling? Are you over your virus?

If promethazine is helping, I would stay on it.

On 5/9/2020 at 6:26 PM, Altostrata said:

How are you feeling? Are you over your virus?

If promethazine is helping, I would stay on it.

yes, seem to be over it thanks :)  yeah the promethazine is helping the insomnia but don't want to stay on it indefinitely as it makes my eyes dry., don't mind in the short term but wouldn't want to keep it up for many months or anything like that. Would I be better to stay on it until I finish tapering the 5HTP? Not sure whats a good jump off point for the 5htp taper? currently on 5mg 5htp & 4mg l-tryptophan. 

Thanks!

• Administrator

What has been your reduction schedule for 5-htp and tryptophan? Are you feeling any changes as you reduce them?

On 5/11/2020 at 10:22 PM, Altostrata said:

What has been your reduction schedule for 5-htp and tryptophan? Are you feeling any changes as you reduce them?

25% every two days, I've not had any negative effects, the PGAD hasn''t woken me in the nite for 2 weeks now so that's an improvement :) 

• Administrator

That's a good sign. I'd continue to go off the 2 supplements, who knows, maybe they were causing problems themselves.

19 hours ago, Altostrata said:

That's a good sign. I'd continue to go off the 2 supplements, who knows, maybe they were causing problems themselves.

i spoke too soon :( PGAD woke me last nite. first time in 2 weeks so that's still an improvement though. does this change anything for my taper?

Would I be better to stay on Promethazine until I finish tapering the 5HTP? been on promethazine 3.5 weeks now.

Not sure whats a good jump off point for the 5htp taper?

• Administrator

You might have symptoms off and on, stabilization from adverse drug effects is gradual.

2 hours ago, Elexis said:

Not sure whats a good jump off point for the 5htp taper?

Not sure where you are with this. For 5-htp, I might go off at 12.5% (1/8) of the original dose.

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Not sure where you are with this. For 5-htp, I might go off at 12.5% (1/8) of the original dose.

Okay will do :)

When I come off 5htp should I leave a break before I start tapering promethazine?

thank you! 

• Administrator

What happened to the tryptophan?

Promethazine probably is not an issue, except that it may stop working, which is common with antihistamines taken for sleep.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, Altostrata said:

What happened to the tryptophan?

tapering alongside 5htp, sorry forgot to mention

so i dont need to taper promethazine? or i just dont need a break before i start the taper.?