Cita: Citalopram free for 6 months (after 19 years treatment).

Hi,

I am myself a medical professional living in Western Europe. I have even worked in psychiatry. I have never heard any of my colleges or read anything about long term withdrawal symptoms after using ssri,

Some 20 years ago I started treatment with citalopram for anxiety problems. It really helped me in the beginning. I had a good help when the dose was 20 and 40 mg. After 2 years use I tried to stopp using it but it resulted in depressive symptoms and even obsessive thoughts (note that I never had any depression before using it. It was meant for anxiety) so I had to go back to the orginial dose. 16 years ago a psychiatrist increased the dose to 80 mg. Since then I have used that dose. I don't think the increase from 40 mg to 80 mg helped me especially much. Anyway the effected seam to wean off after some years. Anyway, I have hade not major problems with either depression or anxiety for many years and have attended psychoterapy for some years. My psychoterapeut recommended me to start to reduce the dose.

2 years ago I reduced from 60 mg to 80. I had rather severe withdrawal symptoms (thirsty, nausea, headache, diarre) but they disappered after a month. The I was pharma free for 6 month and then started to reduce from 60 mg to 40 mg and it worked well even if had some problem with anxiety and sleeping. During the next 4-5 months I was unemployed and tried to tapper from 40 mg to zero. When I was down at 30 mg I could not find joy in anything. I sort of lacked the ability to feel any euphoria ever. When I has down at zero mg I started to get succh a terrible headache and could not even look at any object without getting obsessive compulary focus on them (I have never ever had these problems in my youth before taking citalopram). So I increased to 10 mg and in some weeks to 30 mg.

I then used that dose for 6 months and though feeling worse than before I could still manage a job. After 6 months I started to feel better and decided to wean off everything in on months. I thought it was a good idea to get ride off them so I would not be tempted to increase the dose if I feelt worse. I had a very hard months with all the withdrawal symptoms.But after a month the nausea and headache and dizziness disappered. But to get any sleep I had to use benzos for 3 months. In the beginning I could not even leave my home without them. I have gradually stopped using them and now just use none addictive sleeping pills. Unfortunately I have not been able to function at work without benzo. I have altering severe fatigue or anxiety that makes my brain tired just after 2 hours work. At the end of each Monday it felt like it was Friday (I was totally exhausted and had to rest for two day to be able to work one day.I feelt so bad that I got obsessive compulsary thoughts, blaming myself for everything.

I am now on a sick-leave for 3 months. I have been crying daily for a month. Never been crying alot in my life before. I seem to get muscle shivering in all of the body, that only goes away if I cry or get really angry. I am super sensitive to every thing and has thus isolted myself a bit.

Summary: I have now been without citalopram for 6 months after 20 years use. I have severe symptoms that I did not have before using citalopram. I feel better than 5 months ago. I can function totally without benzos and goes out every day. But still I feel so worthless.not being able to work and I am not sure that my mood is actually getting any better. Fortunately I have meet a psychiatrist that does believe in psychoterapy before pharma. My biggest problem is to understand if these are withdrawal symptoms or a moderate depression I have got. Or maybe both? I feel extremely unsure if I shall start some antidepressant again or try to wait some months. 6 months is a long time not functioning normally.

Would be glad if someone coudl give me advice.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Started citalopram 20 mg 1997. Increased to citalopram 40 mg 1998. Increased to citalopram 80 mg 2000. Started to tapper 2014. April 2014 down from 80 mg to 60 mg. December 2015 from 60 to zero during during 4 month. Reinstated to citalopram 30 mg may 2015. Again withdrawal dec 2015 from 30 to zero. 7 months without. Now august 2016 reinstated citalopram 10 mg.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scallywag

• nz11

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your story and really empathize.

I hope the mods can offer some advice soon.

Yana

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cita -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry to read that the last months have been so difficult for you -- withdrawal symptoms are very unpleasant. People sometimes have a period of weeks or a month where there are no symptoms after stopping a psych drug.  It sounds like that happened to you.

Depression, fatigue, anxiety, crying, and muscle shivers are all withdrawal symptoms from stopping either the citalopram or the benzos. For more information on withdrawal symptoms please read:  What is withdrawal syndrome

Sometimes the way to ease withdrawal symptoms is to take the drug that you stopped. Are you willing to consider taking a very small dose of citalopram again to test whether it will help you feel better? It's possible but not certain that this might reduce your symptoms.

Reinstating works for some people, but not all people. If it did work for you, you could take that very low dose for several months and then taper off it very slowly by reducing the dose by 10% each time.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

A psychiatrist who believes in psychotherapy will be a good person to work with as you go through withdrawal or as you hold and taper from a low dose.

About the benzo drug(s)

• What was the benzo drug you used?
  • What was your starting dosage?
  • How did you reduce the dosage to 0 and how long did it take?

I hope you'll find the information here helpful and encouraging.  I'll post links to a few more topics on the forums that may be informative:

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-18 months particularly? Any drugs prior to that can just be listed with start and stop years. Please put your withdrawal history in signature

A tip: You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread. Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears: select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Read the links I've posted, have a look around the forums and come back to this topic and post any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi actually, I used very low doses of benzos just for sleeping and not every day. Now I have not taken them for 2 months and still have shiverings. So I can't see any connection to them.  I first thought I had a new depression. But I cannot se have the muscle shivering in anyway can be a depression or anxiety symptoms. I have never had them before.

Started citalopram 20 mg 1997. Increased to citalopram 40 mg 1998. Increased to citalopram 80 mg 2000. Started to tapper 2014. April 2014 down from 80 mg to 60 mg. December 2015 from 60 to zero during during 4 month. Reinstated to citalopram 30 mg may 2015. Again withdrawal dec 2015 from 30 to zero. 7 months without. Now august 2016 reinstated citalopram 10 mg.

And I think I got all the symptoms right when I started to withdraw. The traditional symptoms like nausea dizziness disapeared after some weeks. But the fatigue, dystymia and occationaly muscle spams/shiverings has continued. It is hard to explain but i sort of feel the brain is not working properly, I have a feeling a pressure in the head and I am sort of shivering a bit in the body. It all goes away when I can relaxe after crying.

• Moderator Emeritus

What you are describing, Cita, is withdrawal syndrome, but since you have been on citalopram and benzos, it's hard to say which, probably from both.  I'll leave that to a more experienced mod to tease apart.

It might help to view the symptom check list:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist.  Many members have ended up with depression and anxiety in withdrawal when perhaps being put on ADs for pain or PMS.  That is proof that those are withdrawal symptoms.  You yourself said you never had such issues before the med so why would you develop it if not because of the drug and withdrawal?  The shivering and head pressure are common WD symptoms.

You are far out for a citalopram reinstatement, but your benzo use is a bit more questionable.  I am confused about the benzo use.  You said you came off them three months ago but can't work without them. So, the sick leave began at the same time that you quit the benzos and you are no longer taking any?  How did you taper off?  Benzo withdrawal very well may be playing a prominent role here.

Welcome to SA - I'm glad you are here!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

When it comes to benzos I used maybe for 2-3 months every second night for sleep. Then stopped over two months ago. Never used them before.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cita, sorry it has taken so long to answer your message, I have been away.  

Can you tell us which benzo you were taking and what dose? Every other night for 2 months is long enough to build dependency, did your symptoms worsen or change when you stopped the benzo?  Many people think that short term use doesn't cause problems but sadly  just 1 week can cause dependency for some people.  

After 6 months reinstating 0.5mg citalopram might help the symptoms, it is available in liquid form if you can get a prescription from your doctor. If you have any tablets left you can make a liquid by dissolving them in water and using a syringe to get the small dose.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Some people find they can't tolerate the drug after so long being off, which is why I am suggesting only 0.5, to see if you can tolerate it. If you feel worse you would stop it immediately. It will take 4 days to reach a steady level in your blood.   

It will help if you can fill out your signature for us with brief details of your citalopram and benzo tapers.  Instructions are here...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

How are you feeling now Cita? Let us know what you decide and how you are doing. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I used Lorazepam 2 mg totally 200 pills during 3-4 months. I have used them before the day before work for sleeping and never got any dependency. Now I have not used them for 2-3 months. I have never used recreational drugs in my whole life actually and don't think my problems are related to stopping lorazepam use. In any case, I will not go back using them and if I am affected the abstines will definitely disapear sooner or later. I just quitted lorazepam and has never had any cravings.

What I am really terrified about is not ever being normal again after quiting citalopram. What actually has happened last months is that I have been crying extremely much. I have never cried much before. The crying has made me feel much better.

As I have written above, I feel slightly better every day. Now I am 6 months and 10 day totally off. I am sleeping very much. Every other day I feel fine and every other day totally miserable. I would actually guess my symptoms is some kind of mixture between withdrawal symptoms and anxiety/depression that has come back. If I knew I would be better in some months it would be much easier handling the stress.

• Moderator Emeritus

Cita this isn't about cravings, it isn't addiction in the same way as recreational drugs.  When we take prescription psychiatric drugs they change the way the brain works. It has to function and grow around the drugs, and adjusts to them. When the drug is stopped the brain and nervous system struggles because it needs the drug to function in the way that it has adapted to. This leads to an unstable nervous system with many varied symptoms. Sometimes reinstating the drug in a very tiny amount can help to calm the nervous system.  People never want to reinstate and many choose  ride out the withdrawal, which is the brain healing and regaining normality but it takes time.  It is good that you are getting better every day, this is very encouraging.

No one knows how long it will take, everyone is different. Some people take years and others months and it is a good sign that you are feeling better. 20 years on the drug means your brain / nervous system  haven't worked without the drug for a very long time and has to regain it's natural balance. It is normal in withdrawal to feel anxiety, if you can cope with it and try not see it as mental distress but your body producing excess cortisol because of the withdrawal you will get through it.  

Many of us here find that magnesium and fish oil help with the withdrawal symptoms. Magnesium is calming and fish oil helps with the strange brain sensations. Start with low doses and build up. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/?view=findpost&p=66695&hl=%2Bfish+%2Boil

You will probably experience windows and waves, when you feel like you are improving then get a wave which feels like you have gone down agaon. This is normal and the waves always pass.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

It is good that you have a therapist who can help you to learn to deal with the issues that led you to start citalopram, it is essential for all of us that we learn to deal with emotional problems so we do not go back to them when things get hard to cope with. There are many excellent topics here to look at, things that have helped others and things that have made withdrawal worse.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Have a good look around, I hope you will find the site useful for your recovery. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi mammaP,

you are actually right when it comes to "windows and waves". The last, say 3 weeks, I have had hours (usually in the evening) when I feelt almost normal and then he next day I back to scratch, have to sleep all day because of anxiety and fatigue for two days. Really strange, but at least I know have a name for it and knows that I am not alone. I wish I was retired but I am in the middle of life, just longing to go back to my career. I have working full time and even been success full in studies and work. I wanted to go off ssir before I had used the for too many years. I met a therapist that encourage me to stop pharma, but he is not a doctor and did not know about withdrawal symptoms.

Since I know totally manage without pills for sleeping since 3 months and are starting to have the "windows" I feel some relief. My therapist has a summer break but I will meet him again in 1 months from now. 

Have anyone ever experienced the light shiverings and occational spasms in the muscles? They usually disapears after I have been crying. It is like I some tensions is building up in my body and then after crying I relax. I have never had it before.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes I have the spasms and shiverings, sometimes the spasms are really bad but they come and go so I cope with them Magnesium helps and epsom salts baths. I love the epsom salt baths they are amazing and really do help a lot.  :)  All these symptoms will change, they will get better then another one will start, it's just the body going through the healing process. It cannot be rushed. You will get better and need to take good care of yourself while you heal. 

2002  effexor. 

Maybe it would have been a better idea just to tapper more slowly. The reason for wanting to go off citalopram 30 mg as fast as possible was that I have noticed how easy it is too just increase the dose when you have some anxiety problem, so I wanted to be free and through away the remaing pills so I would not be tempted to start increasing the dose.

I actually managed rather well from 30 mg to 60 mg. It took about a year and then I was almost in the same mood. 30 mg to 0 mg has been much worse.

Is there any average when people tend to get normal after a full withdrawal. Somewhere I read that it usually takes 1 to 1/2 year. Many others have written that it took about 7 months and the suddenly it improvement started to accelerate. Is there according to your experience at this forum any average time when the mood really starts to get better? I don't exactly know how long I shall wait before reinstating. I think my psychiatrist want to use snri if I don't get better. If think I can be on a sick leave about 5 month more at most. Then I will have too reconsider pharma. I am in the middle of my career and for economical and other reason would love to start my life again. At least I would like to start work half time in 1-2 months.

• Moderator Emeritus

The last part of a taper is the hardest and many have to slow down at lower doses.

We see many people here and ever one is different. Some are in withdrawal for years and others months. I wish I could tell you how long it will take but there is no way of knowing. The ones who do best seem to be the ones who take good care of themselves and accept that it will take time. Worrying and being angry slows things down, and caffeine, alcohol and lots of sugary food make many people feel worse and hinder recovery.

Reinstatement is best as soon as possible, the more time that passes the less likely it is to work. SNRI are harder to taper, and have many side effects.

2002  effexor. 

Thanks, since I have been totally off for almost 7 months and are getting better slowly I will not reinstall since it could tempt me to increase the dose again if I felt worse. If I can't work in two months I will reinstall. Of course I will also talk to my psychiatrist. Actually he has a psychodynamic psychotherapeutical approach to psychiatry so I think he want me not to take any new pharma. The best thing with the withdrawal phase is that I have totally stopped using alcohol. Tasted it twice during 4 months.

The worst thing is as you mention that I am so worried and frustrated with not being my normal self and that makes thing worse. I cried for 1 month every day telling myself I was not a human. What I ment with this was that I could not cop with feeling so different for my normal self. I think it has been some kind of identity crisis. For 6 months having severe fatigue and no energy and not having any hope almost destroyed me. Now when I finally feel better it is much easier. I have been three days a week meeting a psychotherapist during the spring and that has helped me giving a name to my symptoms.

But to be totally honest if I had not found this forum I think I would have gone mad or started full treatment again. All my friends told me to start and even called me every day to see I did not do any suicid attempt. Actually I have never ever been suicidal and not even this time. But I have had moments when I thought I hoped I was dead (not suicidal intensions though) and I have had fears that I would start getting suicidal thoughts. I have always been very rational and analytical. I think it has helped me alot.

I finally feel I am getting in some kind of control of the situation. So I will continue withdrawal :-) I am glad you seem to have managed.

I congratulate you Cita. At your success at staying off for 7 months.  As for the shivering and spasms? Oh I still get those myself. But I was on a bit more than what you've been on psychotropic drug wise.  Alcohol is another psychotropic drug- kudos to you for staying off of that too!

And yes, I've been fighting off the fatigue/no energy as well. It's not an easy thing to do.

Normal self? None of us feel normal with this crap of withdrawal. But the nice thing?

Eventually your normal self will come back. In fact your normal self without the drugs will blossom. 

It's not an easy journey- but it's worth the trip.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that you feel better about things and understand what is happening to your body, that is an important part of recovery. The symptoms will get easier, and will also get harder sometimes but you will be healing all the time. 

2002  effexor. 

Do someone of you have experience of psychiatrists that actually understands the phenomena of prolonged withdrawal syndrome? I have googled and found one US-based psychiatrist that mention that it takes about 12 month or more for recovery and that the only thing that works to lievate the symptoms is benzos (though of course they are not good to use in the long run). I also read the article by Dr. David Healy from UK. I totally agree with them. But does other psychiatrists understand?

Hi everyone,

I met my psychiatrist. He did not seem to think my present condition had anything to do withdrawal but what it had gotten emotional more vivid, fragile alive after 20 years of ssri use. I really don't think this is the only reason for my symptoms. Internal shivering and a deep anhedonia that slowly gets better has nothing to do with feelings that has been "release" after years of ssri use. Anyone he wants me to continue without pharma and see my therapist. So I am still on a sick leave and at least that is good. So in the long run it does not matter what the doctor thinks if he still wants me to be pharma free. I have not been without citalopram since my late teens, so that is positive. Maybe my "real self" will now "come out"

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh dear, we don't see that scenario very often, where the p-doc wants you to be med free!  Doesn't matter, though, because he is still off the mark and doesn't understand how these drugs impact the nervous system, trying to blame your symptoms on "something else."  There are very few p-docs who understand the healing process from coming off these drugs.  They seem to think withdrawal will only last 6 weeks if at all, but this is because they don't understand the down-regulation situation that these drugs cause, or the very slow remodeling process of up-regulation once off the drugs.  Your best bet in finding materials written by doctors who DO understand is to go to MadInAmerica.com or cepuk.org.

At 7 months out, you've come a long way and are healing, but it will take time.  Understanding that your symptoms ARE withdrawal driven but signs of healing may be helpful to you, rather than thinking they are "something else."  As mammaP mentioned, you will likely continue to experience Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

Many psychiatrist believes in psycotherapy against depression and anxiety. As long as the depression is not severe and there are no suicidal thoughts there are ample evidence that psychotherapy works (and pharma is not needed), just as there are evidence that pharma works. I don't know about US but in many European countries where are not such a strong division between psychologists and psychiatrists. A psychiatrist has the human/patient in focus and can both recommend pharma and therapy The problem is that therapy takes a long time and thus is really expensive. I am fortunate to live in a European country were the government support psychotherapy so it is almost free for the patients. I have gone 3-4 times every week for 6 years.

It seems to be true what not even psychiatrists believe in long term withdrawal syndrome. I would guess that many people in this forum have them both, ie both withdrawal syndrome and anxiety/depression, that has come back, so the picture get even more unclear.

I have thought for a while about why physicians don't believe in withdrawal symptoms and my theory is that not everyone has withdrawal syndrome. This would mean that doctors meet , people without long-term withdrawal symptoms so they have a hard time understand why some people got it. I have decided not to talk with him about withdrawal symptoms. There is a risk he thinks I am not reasonable and just imagine things. As long as I keep improving he will be satsfied.

At least, I am satisfied, with the present situation. The most important thing is that I can get sick-leave to be able to pay my bills. 

Hi,

I just want to tell that the last week has been rather normal. I cried for a month and now feel better. Before that I feel as if I was going to explode. Haven't been crying for two weeks now. Don 't feel anymore as if I were someone else. Though I feel a combination of fatigue and anxiety at least I feel better everyday.  Seems as if I have a long journey back though. It there anyone here that can tell me about their experience of withdrawal symptoms 7 months and onwards?

• Moderator Emeritus

I am glad that you are feeling better Cita, that is great news. There are people here that have been suffering withdrawal for weeks, some for months and others for years. The ones who have got better don't come here very often because they are off living their lives again  :)

2002  effexor. 

Hi,

unfortunately I have gotten severe anxiety problems again. Don't think that the only reason is withdrawal though, since I have some other problems also. My happy mood lasted for some days and now ill again. Sleeping all day. Paralyzed by anxiety. etc. Even compulary thoughts. Spends most of my time home. Though I don't have the feeling that I am someone else anymore. What are your experience regarding withdrawal after 7 months? My doctor is thinking of giving me something else than ssri. Maybe that is a good thing.

Really strange all of this. I am starting to loose confidence in everything. Don't know what to believe anymore.

Best

Today I reinstated citalopram 10 mg. Have not been able to function normally for 7 months. I will not have the maximum dos but hope that 10 mg will help me survive.

Hi Cita

So sorry you have had to reinstate.

7 months is early days in the recovery journey.

I was a nonfunctioning human for about two years after i went drug free.

Hope you stabilize soon.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi have use 80 mg about 2 years ago. If I now increases to 10 mg for half a year and then tries to go down to 5 mg for half a year and then quit. That is my new plan. That I shall be free in a year.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cita,

I hope you get some relief from your withdrawal symptoms with your reinstatement.  It does take at least 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood.  This means that from about day 5 the amount of drug in your system will be about the same every day.  I suggest you read this link Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

It is a good idea to keep a record on paper of your symptoms, taking note of things which improve and things that stay the same or get worse.  There are some computer and printable forms in this link Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

SA recommends a slow taper of no more than 10% of the previous dose.  If you stay on 10 mg for 1/2 year then go to 5 mg that will be a 50% drop in one go.  Please have a read of these links which were posted above:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

It will also be helpful to the staff and other members if you complete your signature with your drug history and update it each time you make a change so that is stays current.  This way people won't need to spend time reading through your posts trying to work out your details.  It would be good if you could list your details of drug/s, dose/s, dates for the last year.

Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature

Complete your Signature from Phone or Tablet

Video How To Use Surviving Antidepressants from a Phone

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected celexa link

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Well it seems like a good idea I had 80 mg 2 years ago 30 mg 7 month ago and zero and I went nu. So 10 mg for six months and then 5 mg for 6 months and then will see. I had total shiverings in my body and hade bang my head in the wall because of anxiety. It actuallyt the real problem always seems to come when I go from 10 to zero. Then I freak out totally. So When I have stabilized at 5 mg i will slowly take of one pill every week day and see what happens.

Really stupid to do the total crasch 7 months ago. I thought it would work go from 30 mg to 0 and then survive the pain for some months But it did not work out that way

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cita,

What you may not realise is that taking an antidepressant drug changes the brain.  The idea of a 10% taper is to try and keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so that we can live our life as comfortably as possible whilst we get off the drug.

These really helped me to understand why a slow taper with a 4-6 week hold (to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug) is recommended by SA:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

I hope they help you too.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Cita i sense you are still not getting it.

Please read those threads cc gave you. You must be clear on what is needed to be done in order to get free of these drugs...else it will be a forever revolving door at the doctors clinic.

The Do nots are , Do not cold turkey and Do not skip or alternate doses.

You jumped off at 30 mg but there are people here who have tapered from 40mg down to 0.4mg and taken 5 years to do it.

Planning to take one pill every week day is planning to skip doses.

Personally after 20 years use if i were you i'd start the taper at 5% per month.

What are your thoughts on doing a drug signature?

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

well, thank you! I feel well now on 10 mg. will just the dose for some weeks to see if the mob stabilaze then each month 10 %. but we do not have the liquidform in my country. Just 10 mg and small package of 5  mg

• Moderator Emeritus

As NZ said, DO NOT SKIP DOSES.  You need to take the same dose at about the same time EVERY DAY.  Here is the link for Making a citalopram solution yourself where people discuss what they do to get their dosage.

I am rather disapointed that the psychiatrist does not know anything about changes in brain after long-term use of ssri. It does not seem illogical after 20 years use. I do not deny I originally had them for anxiety problem but this that I feel now is something very different. Anyway, will now use the does 10 mg until my mood stabilizes. Then we will see what I do.

• Moderator Emeritus

In your posts (above) you have listed several different medications that you have taken and different dosages.

We want to be of assistance to you. To answer your questions to the best of our knowledge, we need to have a complete picture of your drug and withdrawal history. Without a signature that provides that below every one of your messages, it takes us considerable time to read every one of your posts to get the complete picture.

Given your work, surely you can understand the value of being able to have a quick summary. Help us help you by creating a signature.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Understand. Now I made a signature.