Prozac20

Fluorescent light aggravating our sensitive CNS?

Prozac20

I work in the medical field and I've taken sensory integration courses where I've learned that fluorescent light ( which are found everywhere ) affect children and adults with sensory issues ( autism , CP, ADHD etc) . There has been studies in how the lighting in schools affect children increasing anxiety , depression , and hyper activity . I was wondering if anyone has tried full spectrum light at home to help during withdrawal since our CNS is hypersensitive . I'm looking into buying some snd trying it at home .

mammaP

I use daylight bulbs even during the day because my place is overlooked by very tall Leyandii that blocks the light. Not sure of the details but they are used for SAD. 

Prozac20

Have you noticed a difference ? I'm not sure what the difference is between daylight bulbs and full spectrum bulbs .

SquirrellyGirl

I used a SAD lamp during our winter months this year and felt it gave me more energy.  I didn't notice any adverse effects.

SG

Prozac20

Im going to try the full spectrum lights in some rooms , they're supposed to mimic natural sun light . I notice that when I'm at my moms house which has more widows and natural light I feel slightly better that when I'm at our home which we have closed widows and use more fluorescent light . It's worth a try .

manymoretodays

I think withdrawal causes sensory issues in many of us, possibly unrelated to any underlying ADD, ADHD, autism(and I don't know what CP is.....? Cerebral Palsy).  I use a Costco happy light, which I believe is full spectrum.......... in the winter months........short time periods, at a distance.......seems to lift  or moderate my lower moods.  Or if too many cloudy days when the daylight is longer.........rare around here.  So yah.........I think it can help with withdrawal.  You can get them fairly cheap and long lasting.  It also helps with blurry vision and fine craft work.....used as kind of a light over my shoulder.   I definitely prefer the full spectrum over fluorescent.   You could see how you do with varying lengths of time with one.........possibly might be overstimulating if used for too long.

I have always been a bit sensitive to fluorescent lighting........like in closed malls and shopping centers.  Which is okay.........it seems to be a time factor thing........so I guess I'll never be one of those mall walkers and usually limit time and money spent in malls and large chain stores or any fluorescent lighting.  It seems to be okay if there are lot's of windows...........say like in a classroom setting.  Not really aggravating(the fluorescent) in those settings........just tiring?.........feels like a strain or something?  Especially if no windows and no natural light is present.

But yah.......definitely I think both can effect our sensitive, recovering CNS's.......maybe autonomic nervous systems........not really sure.

Prozac20

For sure fluorecent lighting has an affect on us with a sensitive nervous system . I'm hoping to get some good results .

Petunia

I've always had problems being under fluorescent lighting, at first its a subtle feeling like my perceptions are a bit wrong, there's a slight shift in the way things look and sound. Over time it makes me tired and irritated, then I get anxious and usually end up with a headache. This was my daily experience of being at school when I was a kid.

But we also had some of that strip fluorescent lighting in some of the rooms at home, so it wasn't much better there.

Of course its now much worse being in withdrawal, that's why grocery shopping is so difficult I guess. I don't have any fluorescent bulbs in the house.

Laura1981

Interesting thread! I can't go into supermarkets without getting intense nausea, brain zaps and generally feeling horrible. It's because of the lights. Now I always try go in there with sunglasses on and it seems to help a bit. I wonder what's the problem with the fluorescent light: The wavelength spectrum or the frequency of the flickering....

FarmGirlWorks
On 7/9/2016 at 1:10 AM, Petunia said:

I've always had problems being under fluorescent lighting, at first its a subtle feeling like my perceptions are a bit wrong, there's a slight shift in the way things look and sound. Over time it makes me tired and irritated, then I get anxious and usually end up with a headache...

I have finally learned that this is exactly true for me. I was at an AA conference in LA... thought I could do it. Yesterday was in fluorescent lights with stale air for several hours. Left early with nausea and a migraine. Almost vomited and had to lie perfectly still for over 12 hours except for a bit of EFT tapping when I could muster movement.  Today spent most of it outdoors and drinking pu-erh tea. Definitely better if not baseline.