SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mzjewels: Withdrawing from Paxil

mzjewels

Wow, wish I would have found this sight, before I started my nightmare.... :blink: I have been on Paxil 20mg for about 4 years. I finally reached what is called the, "Paxil Poop". They quit working! Bet your Dr didn't tell you that, me either.

I started decreasing to 10 mg for 2 weeks, then went to 5mg for a few days. However I just kept getting sick and felt this was the meds so I quit :huh: . I know I should have went slower, but I didn't so here I am.

I am having the usual nausea, heachaces, internal shaking, brain zapping, swooshing/ringing in my ears. Somedays I can handle it and somedays are bad.

I have been using essential oils to help support my body while withdrawing, I feel like these have been a livesaver to me.

I'm on here because I want to succeed with this, I know it will be hard, but am looking for success stories. What did you do to help ease the withdrawal symptoms? Don't need nightmare stories, I am living my own.

Bless all who are trying to live without antidepressents :wub:

Paxil 20 mg -4yrs. Stopped working-called the "Paxil Poop"

Went from 20mg to 10 mg X 2 weeks

10mg to 5mg for a short time, then quit...to quick...slow down

Omega-3 twice a day, Magnesium three times a day, Vit B complex, Vit D3

7/12/16-My symptoms shaking internally/externally, so afraid especially starting around 400pm, escalating towards evening. This wave hits as soon as I wake up in the am, lasts all day, evening.

July 20, started Prozac 20mg, took for 1 week..hugh mistake. Made me so sick, unable to eat or sleep.

August 2 reinstated Paxil at 10mg, no improvement yet.

Hi there,

I hear you. and a moderator will come along shortly to advice you what to do. If you go to the home page, there are a ton of links that will help you understand re-instating, likely at a much lower dose than you were on, and tapering slowly from there...10% or less, depending on how you do with the initial reinstatement. Usually one holds for 4 weeks, until they feel stabilized, until the next cut of the current dose is made.

When you feel up to it, I would love to hear which essential oils you are using, and how they are helping you. I am always looking for natural ways to ease the hellish state I am in!

Welcome and good luck to you. It is not too late. You found the right help!

Grace

Help is around the corner...

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MZ, welcome to SA. Sadly many of us came here after learning the hard way that these drugs are terrible and need to be tapered very carefully even when they don't work. 

When did you quit paxil and how long did you taper?  Can you tell us your symptom pattern, ie, worse in the morning or evening, crash in the afternoon, insomnia etc?  We ask all our members to fill out their signature with their drug history, prescription drugs, over the counter, supplements, recreation drugs, everything really.  Some people take lots of supplements and we find that some are interacting with each other or making things worse. 

You can find how to fill it out here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Depending when you quit it might be possible to reinstate some paxil to stop the withdrawal symptoms.The symptoms you had when tapering were withdrawal, not side effects and can be  helped by going back and tapering slowly. We could work out what the best dose would be when we have all the information.

It is your call whether you reinstate or not, no-one wants to reinstate once they have stopped but withdrawal can be nasty and go on for years for some people. Others can be over it  in months.  There are many things you can do to help yourself while going through this, the symptoms and self care forum has lots of topics. There is a sticky near the top of the first page with a list of the important topics such as diet and exercise etc. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mzjewels - I am glad you found SA!

I wanted to add that you can go through our Symptoms and self-care forum to get lots of tips on handling withdrawal symptoms.  We also have our Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal.  You can use the search bar at the top of each sub-forum to search just that forum.  Also, google is a great way to look for stuff on SA.  In google, type "survivingantidepressants.org" and the topic you want to find, such as "brain zaps" and it will give you lots of hits that are pretty well focused.

Some other links that you may want to brush up on:

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Lots to read!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been withdrawing 5 weeks now, but still alive. I still have the waves and windows, hopefully the windows will get longer and the waves shorter. That helped learning about waves and windows.

Today I have the internal/external shakes, so cold, so cold. I live in the sun and hot baths, sitting here at my desk with my portable heater on my feet in SUMMER, shaking like a leaf. I can sleep for about 3 hrs, them I'm awake for about an hour, then I can usually sleep for 2 hrs more before my alarm goes off. Terrible muscle tension in my neck and shoulders, that does not seem to go away with anything I try. But what gets me most is the feeling of being afraid, afraid to be alone, fear to be around people not knowing what I might do.

I still am very short tempered, but trying so hard to be aware of it. Started in therapy learning CBT for some positive talk, I can be quit negative and get down on myself. Went through a night of being terrified, restless legs.

I thought about going reinstating Paxil, but now I am this far out, dont' think it would help, don't really want to at this point.

@savinggrace... I am using doterra digestzen, 1 drop in 4oz water for nausea, bloating. Balance (diluted with fractionated coconut oil) to help keep me grounded, as well as Cedarwood, Bergamot, Lavender, Vetiver in a diffuser at night to aid in restful sleep. In the morning I put 1 drop Wild Orange and Zedocrine in 4 oz of water to aid in detoxcification. For my restless legs I rub on Cypress/Deep Blue oil, diluted with fractionated coconut oil, on my legs before bed time. AND I take hot baths with and without Epsom salts with about 3-4 drops lavender oil.

I know no one knows how long this will take, as each person in so individual, but I wish I knew that someday it will stop. I just want to feel better.

Anything I could be doing, please tell me.

Edited by mammaP
Removed external link

7/12/16-My symptoms shaking internally/externally, so afraid especially starting around 400pm, escalating towards evening. This wave hits as soon as I wake up in the am, lasts all day, evening.

July 20, started Prozac 20mg, took for 1 week..hugh mistake. Made me so sick, unable to eat or sleep.

Hi mzjewels,

Thanks for answering my question about essential oils.  I have not heard of many of them.  I am a big fan of epsom salts baths and have been finding the smell of the lavendar and tea tree soap I am using to be very calming so I thought I might explore other oils.  BTW, I think it against the rules to post links to sites about anything one could be conceivably be selling...just a word of caution there, but thanks for the info.

You say you don't want to re-instate, and honestly I have no idea if it would help or hurt at this point.  That said, unless you provide the pertinent information that Squirrely Girl asked for, no moderator will know how to advise you if you change your mind.

Other than that, the only thing that can be said is that this process takes time...a lot of time...and patience...and hope...

There are many links on the home page that you can explore to help you with symptoms and general withdrawal questions.  The only thing you won't find is the answer you really want the most, "how long will it be until I feel normal again?"  No one can answer that question.  I have been on this site for 3 months or so and the answer completely different for each and every person because there are so many variables.

If you don't want to hear horror stories, read the success stories, though they often tell of the horror along the way.

If there is any comfort in knowing that there is a huge community of people that understand exactly what you are going through, then hanging out here once in a while might help.

I wish you some peace and stability soon.

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Oh, I noticed you are taking a Vitamin B complex supplement.  Many of us here find the B vitamins to be too activating in w/d.  You might consider discontinuing them for a short while.

Grace

• Moderator Emeritus

After 5 weeks it is very possible that reinstatement can help, for some it is a life saver. You could try 0.5 mg, it doesn't seem much but your nervous system is very fragile and could be sensitive to it now and have worse side effects at higher doses. You could make a liquid from tablets to get the tiny dose. If you read the link on reinstatement there will be instructions there. It takes around 4 days to get to a steady level in the blood. Some people find relief within a few days, others a bit longer. If it makes you feel worse then stop immediately. If it helps you can stabilise for a few months then start a slow taper off. Sorry I am on my tablet and can't do the links but SG has provided the important ones in her post above.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Jewel,

So sorry to hear that you are suffering.  I will pray for you.  I think Paxil is probably the worst for withdrawals.  I took it for a while and it is rough for w/d symptoms. 

You might also try L-Theanine, small dose (100 mg?) to see if it helps add any calm to your life.  It does cross the blood brain barrier, so it is worth a try.  Be careful with adding and subtracting things as the mods  have already said. 

I think the best strategy is to remember that it will get better, and this is just one hellish moment in time.  You really have to believe you can get through it--deep down inside.  You have to summon all of your intellectual and spiritual power to survive it.  I am spiritual and it really helps me.  But if you aren't that is ok too.  You can meditate or focus your mind on something positive--how proud you'll be once this is over, and to know that you did it!!!!  You beat this beast!!

Let us know how you are doing.  Prayers for you right now.

Steve

Began Paxil for situational panic attacks in 2000. Then psych put me on Prozac to transition me to Lexapro in 2008. I forget the dosage of Paxil and Lexapro. Switched to100mg Sertraline since 2011.

75Mg taper began 06/21/2016. 67.5 mg taper began 07/10/2016. 61mg taper began 08/01/2016. 54mg taper began 08/24/2016. 48mg taper began 09/06/2016. 44mg taper began 09/20/2016. 40mg taper began 10/11/2016. 35mg began 10/25/2016. 25 mg began 11/15/2016.  20 mg began 12/03/2016.  12.5 mg began 12/22/2016.  DRUG FREE JANUARY 16, 2017!!

Began daily meditation 12/01/2016.  Very helpful!!

Prayer, always, and Acupuncture, as needed.<p>Isaiah 50:7 (NLT): Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be dismayed. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will triumph!

Jewel,

So sorry to hear that you are suffering.  I will pray for you.  I think Paxil is probably the worst for withdrawals.  I took it for a while and it is rough for w/d symptoms. 

You might also try L-Theanine, small dose (100 mg?) to see if it helps add any calm to your life.  It does cross the blood brain barrier, so it is worth a try.  Be careful with adding and subtracting things as the mods  have already said. 

I think the best strategy is to remember that it will get better, and this is just one hellish moment in time.  You really have to believe you can get through it--deep down inside.  You have to summon all of your intellectual and spiritual power to survive it.  I am spiritual and it really helps me.  But if you aren't that is ok too.  You can meditate or focus your mind on something positive--how proud you'll be once this is over, and to know that you did it!!!!  You beat this beast!!

Let us know how you are doing.  Prayers for you right now.

Steve

Wareagle82,

Bless you heart, I needed to hear that today. Have had a very rough 5 days, in a small window today, still having the shakes but bearable, a little relief. I have decided not to reinstate. Your so right it takes everything one can muster to get through this. Prayer is my go to and my oils, but prayer first and foremost. AND I have a remarkable, understanding husband that is so patient with me.

It's a really scary road, but I do believe I can do it and want to. I just wish I didn't have to work while all of this is going on, although it keeps my mind active on something else. I need to not be so fixated on when does this end, and take it 1 day at a time. I'll try the L-Theanine!

Thanks again,

Praying for all who are suffering, we CAN do this!!!! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted for awhile. So I did something really stupid, for me anyway. I went on Prozac 20mg, got horrible side affects, had to quit.

Have been withdrawing from Paxil since June. Decided t to reinstate Paxil at 10mgs.Have been off work since and so worried about losing my job. On my 2nd day at reinstatement, have moments when I feel

slightly better, but still having withdrawing symptoms, nausea, shaking, ect. Hoping this reinstatement works. I went down way to fast.

Has reinstatement worked for anyone else?

• Moderator Emeritus

Reinstatement has worked for some people. It can take a while for the withdrawal symptoms to settle down.

On what dated did you start taking 10 mg Paxil again?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Reinstatement has worked for some people. It can take a while for the withdrawal symptoms to settle down.

On what dated did you start taking 10 mg Paxil again?

I just started yesterday at 10mgs,so I'm hoping this will work.

I just started at 10mgs of paxil yesterday, hoping this will help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mzjewels,

I just wanted to let you know, or reminder you if you already know, that it takes about 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood.  However, you may start to feel some improvement before then.

Also, it is important to Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable.

It would be helpful if you could add dates to your signature and also update it with date and dose whenever you make a change so that the details remain current.  It will be able to be seen at a glance without have to spend time reading through posts.  Thank you.

I hope your reinstatement provides relief.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I wish before I had started this journey I would have found this site. I feel like there is no return to normalcy now.

Has anyone been able to work while this is going on? I have found work is to difficult right now, and am fearful I am going to lose my job.

I feel paralyzed in my own mind.

Any suggestions?

Should I have reinstated at paxil 20, instead of paxil 10?

Thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi MZ

You have just posted as I am typing this post.

Before we can offer any suggestions we really need to know more information.

Could you please provide the dates alongside the doses for Paxil in your signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management