steadyeddy: Just wanted to say......

steadyeddy

I just want to say its reassuring to read that i'm not the only one who is finding long term withdrawal difficult. I've been off citalopram for 7 months and everyone keeps saying the drug is out of my system and its just my issues that i'm experiencing. I feel like i've tried everything but it doesn't seem to ease. Meditation has helped keep me calm but its the confusion and unconnected feeling all the time that pisses me off  :angry:

Just like everyone who posts on this site i'm hoping it doesn't last much longer  :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello steadyeddy -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)!

I've moved your post to the Introductions Forum so that more people will see your comments and questions.

I'm glad you've found some reassurance in reading other people's experiences in withdrawal from psych drugs. Withdrawal causes real suffering and is a real thing:

Introduction to antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

What is withdrawal syndrome

You can tell people that antidepressant withdrawal syndrome is backed up by scientific research. Tell them to have a look at our Journals and Scientific Research forum.

The confusion and unconnected feeling are common-enough withdrawal symptoms.

Brain fog and other cognitive symptoms

Depersonalization / Derealization

If you wantto post how you're doing, this topic is the spot to do so. This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

Some information about Celexa/citalopram: Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

One of our UK members who is tapering citalopram is calling her process "celexit." :D

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hell Steady/Eddy,

Welcome to SA. I have been a member for about 3 weeks. I t has been a life saver as I couldn't figure out what was going with me. I am also on a Celexa journey and Scallywag and I  love calling the process "celexit"

Wishing you well!

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi steadyeddy, 

Welcome to SA from me, too!  Hopefully after a read of the links that scallywag gave you, you will be able to explain to unsympathetic people why you are still having problems even though the "drug is out of your system."  

I'm glad you have found SA - we are quite a tribe!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info, it's nice to see thats it genuine and not that i've damaged my brain from the AD's. I'm seven months in and hoping it will lift at some point. I'm sure this has been said plenty of times but just want to be myself again, which i'm sure i will at some point. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I've been off antidepressants for 9 months now and am wondering if it will ever improve? I feel crap everyday and try and be as positive as I can but still feel crap.

I thought about going to the doctors to see if there's anything they can do, but there's nothing they can do is there?

Just fed up of WD now and want to be my old self.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eddy,

I moved your new topic here into your Intro/Update topic because it about your own situation and will keep your history together.

"I thought about going to the doctors to see if there's anything they can do, but there's nothing they can do is there?"

I think you already know the answer to that.  Many doctors are unable to recognise withdrawal symptoms and of course they would want to "treat" you.  If you went back to the doctor they would most likely say you have had a relapse or diagnose you with a new condition and you would end up back on the same drug, possibly at a higher dose, or on another drug or maybe even a cocktail of drugs. 

Many members have found that learning Non-Drug Techniques and Acceptance helps with the withdrawal symptoms:

1. Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms
  2. Acceptance
  3. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  4. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  5. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  6. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  8. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi Steadyeddy! Welcome. I've been off celexa for nearly a year and just want to reassure you that it does get better. I don't consider myself fully healed yet, but there's been considerable progress from the 7-9 month mark until now. Current WD symptoms du jour are: 

more fatigue than 'usual'

low libido (but has improved since the first 7 months!)

memory (mostly name recall)

head noise

tinnitus (at times)

some neuro-emotions

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SteadyEddy,

Welcome to SA. I'm glad you found this place. Yes, WD is frequently mistaken for the "underlying condition" when it is actually the brain healing. 

These drugs are powerful (much more powerful than they're given credit for, it seems) and healing takes time. Hang in there and keep posting here; it is a great place to share ideas, cry on someone's shoulder, offer a shoulder to cry on, and make new friends in similar situations.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steadyeddy! Welcome. I've been off celexa for nearly a year and just want to reassure you that it does get better. I don't consider myself fully healed yet, but there's been considerable progress from the 7-9 month mark until now. Current WD symptoms du jour are: 

more fatigue than 'usual'

low libido (but has improved since the first 7 months!)

memory (mostly name recall)

head noise

tinnitus (at times)

some neuro-emotions

HI Mimi, did you have any issues with not being able to get enough sleep or fall asleep initially?  How long did those last and how much sleep were you able to get for the first 7 months? I'm 7 months in and can only sleep 4 or 5 hours a night.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

I've been off antidepressants for 9 months now and am wondering if it will ever improve? I feel crap everyday and try and be as positive as I can but still feel crap.

I thought about going to the doctors to see if there's anything they can do, but there's nothing they can do is there?

Just fed up of WD now and want to be my old self.

Hi what symptoms are you dealing with? I'm 7 months off my medication.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

• 2 months later...

Anyone else struggle with knowing what to say in conversations? It's like I have a mental block and can't express what I want to say. I'm 12 months fully off now and still feeling effects.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

I'm at 12 months now and can see improvements like memory is getting better and also things aren't as bleak as they were before. Still not 100% like I have a mental block. I had a bit of a tough time around months 10 and 11

• Moderator Emeritus

eddy - I've moved your post/question to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.  We've got a one introduction topic per customer rule. ;)

You may find information related to your question in this topic:
Cognitive symptoms: Blank mind; comprehension and memory issues.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm eddy

My timeline

ive been off citalopram for 3.5 years now currently going through a big wave. 

I was wondering what sort of time everyone else has been off their meds and any advice to help with the waves 

thanks

eddy

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title
  • Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi Eddy-- I was reading through your thread and can't find any mention of how you get off of the drug in the first place.  Would you please tell us about your taper?

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 3 months later...

Topic title:  Brain fog and dark thoughts

Hi 

I look on here a lot for help when I'm struggling but don't post much but thought I'd see if anyone has any advice as I'm finding WD tough at the moment. 

Ive been off citalopram for 3.5 years and initially I came off cold turkey after taking advice from my doctor 😫 Because the WD symptoms were so bad I went back on the AD's until I sort or stabilized and I started to taper down but much much slower this time. My highest dose was 20mg and I took around 6 months to taper down until I stopped completely. 

I have to say I've really suffered coming off them and am a shadow of who I used to be. I've had twitches, tinnitus, brain fog, depression, brain zaps, weight gain and the list could go on and on. 

For the past 3 months I've be feeling low with not much let up, and finding it hard to communicate clearly without getting confused or feel like in tripping over my words. 

I was wondering if anyone else has been through a long wave like this and if anyone had any advice on how to reduce the effects? Also is there anyone else out there around 3.5 years and still battling on?

thanks

Eddy

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new post into your Introduction topic.  This keeps your history in one place.

We need to know more details about your drug history.  The easiest way to do that is to create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature