ablearcher83: Psychosis Misdiagnosis and Coming off Invega Sustenna

Ablearcher83

In other words, will I eventually start having withdrawal symptoms?

Invega Sustenna 234 mg & 156 mg (January 2016)

Invega Sustenna 78 mg (February to May 2016)

Now off Invega Sustenna since May 30th, 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi everyone, how's it going? I have been having insomnia problems still but I noticed that when I take Klonopin for a day, I sleep well for a week before having to take klonopin again. I only take 2 mg of Klonopin once a week, and will stop soon. I was wondering, will taking this much Klonopin only once a week make me addicted and dependent on it or will I be okay?

There's really no way of gaging dependency. That's how many people get trapped. 

But if you only need it once a week, why tempt fate?

You're off all your meds, so I would be hesitant to keep using a benzo at this point, even just once a week. 

Thanks, yeah I have anxiety and that's why I think that I can't sleep... I just can't get to sleep no matter how much I close eyes and try to. I have tried melatonin and it worked amazingly well for 8 days but then it stopped working. I think my anxiety is what prevents me from sleeping. 

You mention using melatonin here, but it stopped working. What dose were you taking?

Please read through this thread, as it explains how too high a dose can actually make insomnia worse:

Melatonin for Sleep

In the above, you also mention that anxiety is what's keeping you from sleeping. Please take a look at some of the non-drug ways of coping with anxiety:

Non-drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Sleep problems - That Awful Withdrawal Insomnia

Many people say that time is what "heals" us from this, but time isn't going to heal you from the problem you had prior to going on the drug. Any skill you work on for anxiety will also help with insomnia, so it's really worth the time and effort. Since stress and insomnia are the reasons you went on these drugs in the first place, it's best to deal with this so you don't risk getting trapped on yet another drug. And benzo withdrawal can be extremely severe.

Sending healing vibes your way. 

Thanks Shep. I understand but whenever I take Klonopin I sleep really well for a week with no problems and then I take it again after when I need to. My doctor told me that if I take it once a week it should be fine and I'll be fine as I'm not taking it everyday. He also said that withdrawal symptoms won't occur and neither would dependance. Let me know if this is true. Thanks for the other bits of advice my friend I will try to get to sleep without the aid of these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Ablearcher.

Another thing to keep in mind is you're rattling your CNS each time you take a Klonopin. Invega already affected your nervous system, and now you're adding to the chemical trauma with another drug that affects the CNS. Please see this for more information:

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

Also, in this post,  your psychiatrist told you that 2 mg of Klonopin is a low dose. This is far from the truth, as Klonopin is 20 times more potent than Valium.  Your doctor has a lot to learn about benzodiazepines. Sadly, most doctors do.

The half-life of Klonopin is 18 - 50 hours, so this is not a drug that's helping you sleep all week. If you're not taking any other drugs or supplements for sleep during the week, then you are sleeping without any chemical help, and that's a really good sign. 

Please read through your entire thread, as there are so many other ways of handling your insomnia other than drugs. 

Okay Shep, thanks for letting me know. I will discontinue Klonopin use as soon as possible. If I have stop after 4 doses spread over 3 weeks will I experience withdrawal syndromes? Thanks Shep.

• Moderator Emeritus

For 4 doses spread over 3 weeks, you should be fine to simply stop. I'm so glad to hear you say this.

I think you may be dealing with insomnia, but you have to find out if that's a withdrawal symptom from meds, including the Invega, or if that's your original insomnia coming back. 

Since you're only using the Klonopin once a week, it sounds like your non-drug coping skills are already helping. And that's also good. 

It's a withdrawal from the invega, as I have never had any insomnia problems in my life. When I quit invega, that's when the withdrawal problems began.