☼ frasier23: Zyprexa cold turkey what now

frasier23

Hi. I was at psyc ward after psychosis and my sleep was not perfect so i was put on zyprexa. I accepted to get out of there. I was on 20mg 2days then 10mg for 10days until i was released.

When released I stopped cold turkey and and waited 3-4weeks before withdrawals came. Worst was my complete insomnia.. didnt sleep for 7 days so i had to reinstate.

I went back on last dose 10mg. Immediately i felt it was a bad idea but i had to sleep. i tried to taper it off over a month. I had all side effects you could think so finally I just stopped again and used sleep pills to beat insomnia.

Problem now 6months later(stopped oct2015) is that i still have insomnia. barely sleeps at all(1-4hrs)

What advice do you guys have? From what ive read, this forum advice me to start on a small dose and taper from there am i right? I really dont want to reinstate since it slmost killed me but i dont know how to solve this either..

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Hi fraiser23, I'm sorry to hear of your suffering and welcome to the forums. Someone more experienced than me will be along shortly to help you.

Insomnia is extremely common in withdrawal and is something I'm battling myself. Wait for one of the more senior members advice on what to do about reinstating, but for now you can check out http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/?hl=%2Btips+%2Bfor+%2Btapering+%2Bzyprexafor tips on how to taper.

I'm also trying to withdraw from zyprexa and hated the idea of reinstating, but it helped me to a degree. I'm using the oral disintegrating tablets dissolved in water, then planning on tapering from that once my cns is stable enough.

MEDS HISTORY

2004 hospitalized for acute alcohol induced psychosis and started on my psych drug merry-go-round.2004-2006 SSRI > SNRI Merry-go-round finally settled on Effexor. Also was started on Risperdal in 2004 but switched to seroquell after I had a bad reaction to it.2008. Was switched from Effexor to pristiq, Also managed to successfully Quit Seroquel Cold Turkey.Asenapine- 5mg- August 2014 ~ May 2015. Was put on for Social Anxiety, was great at first then started developing disabling side effects, did a rapid taper and so started my withdrawal nightmare...

MEDS CURRENT

Pristiq-100mg ~ Currently holding

Olanzapine- 3.75mg May 2015 ~ Currently tapering by -.06mg per week (Jan 2016, 3.5mg  ~Feb 2016 intractable insomnia updose to 3.75mg)

Quetiapine- 50mg June 2015  ~Dec 25 2015 Quit cold turkey. ~(Feb 6 2016 hit with intractable insomnia - reinstated 50mg.)

August 2016 : Became destabilised after messing around with cutting doses, trying THC oil etc eventually stabilised,

Held doses for 5 years.

January 2022: Hit poop out, struggling to get more than 3 hours sleep, been one week straight of pure hell, praying to hold on. 

is it a must to reinstate? whats your sleep right now?

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

thanks for the reply. As I said ive been off it for 6months now. Doesnt it heal by itself as well or why do i have to reinstate?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frasier.  

I am a surviver of long term antipsychotic use and I want to welcome you to SA. You'll find plenty of support and encouragement here. 

While a lot of this site is about antidepressant withdrawal, there is a lot of overlap with antipsychotic withdrawal. Here is some general information about withdrawal which may help you understand the patterns of recovery:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Reinstatements all carry risks and after 6 months, I would be hesitant to reinstate. However, please read over this thread carefully first for more information:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Before considering a reinstatement, please assess how you are feeling now. Have any of your symptoms improved? Are there things you have tried to do without medications that have helped with sleep? Have your symptoms relating to the original psychosis resolved? 

Here is information about non-drug methods for sleep and for other symptoms:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Some people report negative results from the use of some supplements; however, many people do find relief with fish oil and magnesium. Please research all supplements carefully. This will get you started:

King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil)

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

I am concerned about your statement here: 

I went back on last dose 10mg. Immediately i felt it was a bad idea but i had to sleep. i tried to taper it off over a month. I had all side effects you could think so finally I just stopped again and used sleep pills to beat insomnia.

Please let us know more about what "sleep pills" you've been using - the name, dose, frequency of use, etc. This is really important. Many people report paradoxical reactions to medications  and certain sleep supplements, especially after your central nervous system has been destabilized by antipsychotics or other psychiatric drugs. 

Please be so kind as to fill out a signature with your medication history:

Please put your withdrawal history in signature

Please use this thread to update your symptoms, get support, and ask plenty of questions. Antipsychotic withdrawal and recovery can take some time, but symptoms will resolve in time. I'm glad you're here for support. 

Hi Frasier. Welcome . I'm sorry that you are in this position and for what you have already been through. It sounds intense and I hope that we can help you get back on an even keel.

I understand how hard it can be to feel good when you're not sleeping . Unfortunately , this is a common withdrawal symptom.  At this point it is totally a personal decision that can only be made by you as to whether to reinstate or not . As you have been off Zyprexa for 6 months , it is hard to say . The window in which reinstatement is effective is not clearly defined. It is trial & error however is best done as soon as possible, and often 3 months can be the maximum time period.

Some have found success in reinstating, but it can be a gamble at this point. Have a read through this topic, and see what you think .

If you could , it would be helpful to have a drug history with dates and doses of previous medications including your current sleep medication . This will enable us to see your history at a glance and thereby offer concise advice pertaining to this. 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

If you decide not to reinstate, there are many tools and techniques that we can recommend , that will help you through this.This is one that might help, but there are many more in Symptoms & Self- Care. 

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Have a read  and see what you think and then come back with any questions that you might have.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks for the info.

My sleep has gone from 0 to a few hours per night. Usually 1-2 + 2-3hrs. I used Theralen(lowest amount) and Niztrazepan(lowest) to get there. Took me about 1.5months to get me there then I stopped since i thought it would sort out by itself and I was afraid of dependency.

Lately my sleep has started to get worse again and im thinking of what do do. Right now I only have a 1-2 hours. Much thanks too more sunlight which Im more sensitive to after Zyprexa.

Should i start taking sleep pills again because I dont believe in reinstate Zyprexa and by a miracle have my natural sleep returned. Is even possible that it can return? Right now it feels like I cant produce sleep anymore ..

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for listing your sleep meds, Frasier.

Are you still taking Theralen and Nitrazepam?  This is important - please post the dose and the last dates you took these meds. Many people report paradoxical or other reactions to sleeping medications, especially after the CNS is destabilized from antipsychotic withdrawal. 

You can develop a dependency on Nitrazepam in as little as 2 weeks, and this can result in insomnia, as well as a myriad of other symptoms. 

As much information as you can provide about Theralen and Nitrazepam will help to sort out what is coming from the Zyprexa withdrawal and what is coming from these other medications. 

Also, Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  

Sleep will return.  The fact that you're not reporting rebound psychosis is a great sign that healing is happening. 

Forgot to mention that.. I had rebound psychosis recently due to little sleep but also ofcourse accepting strange thoughts..

Had to goto psyc ward where i was put on sleep med if needed plus I had a needle shot of one old neuroleptica Trilafon.

Ive got respect for dependcy fron Nitrazepan but at the same time I need to sleep. Is Immovan any better you think? Cant figure out how I otherwise will be able to restore my sleep...

Zyprexa was wrong for me from start. It gave me besides insomnia , millions of random thoughts popping up when I try to sleep (close eyes) dont know how to get them to end.

There are many non - drug methods of slowly restoring deep R.E.M. sleep , but it takes time if you go that route. It's something to work towards at this point.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Ali G: the theory behind my sleep pills is to relearn the body how to sleep again. Is this just false words when i have insomnia from zyprexa? I believe time is only option plus sleep pills when I cant sleep. What do you think?

• Moderator Emeritus

Forgot to mention that.. I had rebound psychosis recently due to little sleep but also ofcourse accepting strange thoughts..

Had to goto psyc ward where i was put on sleep med if needed plus I had a needle shot of one old neuroleptica Trilafon.

Ive got respect for dependcy fron Nitrazepan but at the same time I need to sleep. Is Immovan any better you think? Cant figure out how I otherwise will be able to restore my sleep...

I deal with rebound psychosis due to insomnia. That's actually quite common. It can also come from sleep meds, too, so please be mindful of that. 

When did you receive the Trilafon shot? It's been a number of years since I was on the older antispychotics, but I do remember them being quite debilitating. 

Imovane is what's called a z-drug. Z-drugs cause a very similar dependency and withdrawal as benzodiazepines (such as your Nitrazepam). So please try to avoid those if you can.

Have you tried a very low dose of melatonin? Please take a look at this thread:

Melatonin for Sleep

Pay close attention to this part because it's very important to start out a low dose and to watch for any paradoxical effects:

Here's how to re-establish your sleep cycle with melatonin:

- Start with .25mg-.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

- Take at the same time, nightfall (but, given that it's summer, not later than 8 p.m.), every night.

- If needed, gradually increase by .25mg for 3-4 days at a time.

- Use the lowest effective dose.

- Try to turn lights off or keep lights low after sundown. Your bedroom should be quiet and dark. Darkness triggers natural melatonin production. Artificial lighting, including staring into the computer, can give the wrong signal to your pineal gland.

- Keep to a very regular schedule -- this is what your circadian rhythm needs.

- Do NOT take melatonin regularly at any time but nightfall or you might scramble your sleep-wake cycle.

Developing a really good sleep pattern is key and melatonin may help you with this. 

There are also really good mindfulness techniques to help with sleep. Please read this thread for more information:

Guided Meditations - Calming Videos - Sleep Hypnosis

Please keep a detailed listing of your sleep medications - write down when you take them, the dose, and your symptoms. This is really important in order to determine what is coming from your antipsychotic withdrawal and what is coming from your current sleep medications. Again, please note that Imovane can be just as dangerous as benzodiazepines when it comes to dependency and withdrawal, so try to limit those as much as possible. Take a look at the melatonin and guided meditation links and see if these might be alternatives you wish to try. 

I was thinking nitrzepam for 2 weeks and cycle with theralen 1week or similar

Shep: how many hours do you sleep today? are you still on anti psychotics?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Fraiser. I'm off all drugs as of May 2015. The antipsychotic was the last to go. 

I sleep about 4 - 6 hours a night. Occasionally, I'll hit a rough patch and have a night or two with almost no sleep, but those nights are rare now. So it really does get better with time. I also use guided mindfulness meditations and sleep hypnosis meditations from YouTube. Very effective once the cortisol surges decreased. 

I was thinking nitrzepam for 2 weeks and cycle with theralen 1week or similar

You can develop a dependency to nitrazepam in as little as 2 weeks. The withdrawal from nitrazepam can be quite severe, so please use caution.

I'm not familiar with theralen, but I did find this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alimemazine

According to this article, even though theralen isn't used as an antipsychotic, it is structurally related to Chlorpromazine.

I really think you need to decide if you want off the medication treadmill. You really are taking some major risks by using these type of sleeping drugs. 

I would re-read what we've posted here on your thread. Take a careful look at the links, especially for melatonin and the non-drug coping skills section. 

I am concerned that you may already have developed a dependency on sleep medications and this needs to be addressed. Please keep a careful record of the drugs you are taking to sleep. It would help if you could make a list:

• Name of sleeping drug 
  • Dose and the time of day you take it 
  • Symptoms (include number of hours of sleep)

Also, please be so kind as to add a signature with your medication history - Please put your withdrawal history in signature

But do you mean the sleep can restore itself without help? Havent taken sleep meds since last psyc ward 3 weeks ago.

right now I sleep 1 + break + 2-3 + 1-2.

Often i dont even know if Im sleeping or not since I have all these thoughts coming up like a dream. Have this as well Shep?

Also worried that Im not getting enough sleep and my body will break down.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's good you're off the sleep meds. Now it's just a matter of time until your sleep becomes restorative again. 

Many of us go through a number of weeks or even months with really poor sleep, but by lying down and resting at night, even if you can't sleep, you are allowing the opportunity for micro-sleep to happen. 

Here is more on micro-sleep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsleep

Although micro-sleep isn't as restorative, by resting and inviting sleep in, you are nurturing your CNS and giving it more of a chance to heal. Again, many of us go through some rough periods of poor sleep until the mind / body heals from these drugs. 

When you say "thoughts coming up like a dream", are you feeling anxious? If so, you may find relaxing music helps. Don't try and "force" sleep. Just let your mind and body relax. 

This is thread with some great guided meditations that may help you learn how to do this: 

Guided Meditations - Calming Videos - Sleep Hypnosis

I also found that listening to classical music with nature sounds really helps. This is one of my all time favorites:

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata with Relaxing Nature Sounds [ Sleep Music ]

I hope this helps. 

Thanks Shep, but i really dont know anymore. This night i only had 0.5h plus 1microsleeep. Since last go at the psyc ward my sleep is just getting worse.

I also get strange feeling in my body (heart area) which tells my body is not feeling good of no sleep?

Im confused whether I should reinstate zyprexa even it was 6months since I took it or if I should try build up a sleep pattern with help of sleep pills?

Because right now sleep is just too little and I havent seen any advancement lately. Since out from psyc ward 1 month ago I think I only sleep 1-2hr in total per night. Before it was a little better but not much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Problem now 6months later(stopped oct2015) is that i still have insomnia. barely sleeps at all(1-4hrs)

Hi, frasier.

I'm going to ask the more senior moderators to weigh in on the pros and cons of reinstating this far out. I would opt for reinstating the antipsychotic before going back to benzos, but let's get more input on this and figure it out.

I do have a question about the timeline. You state here that you came off Zyprexa in October 2015. But that's 9 months ago, not 6.  Is this a typo? It's important to have a correct timeline.

Also, when you say you had "all side effects" after your last reinstatement, please let us know if any of those side effects have improved.  This is important because it will help you see how much healing has actually happened. 

Again, let's check with the senior mods before doing anything. In the meantime, here is some information to read over about reinstating:

Hi Frasier,

I was reading your thread. I was on Zoloft and zyprexa for almost 15 years. I did ok at first on them, but there were some side effects. I would nearly pass out when getting up from a squatting position. I developed stomach issues later on which may have been from the pills, but also from drinking too much coffee. I quit the pills cold turkey in 2005 and was off of them for about a year before reinstating. I felt better off of the pills and was more active in 2005, but was sleeping only every other night for like 8 hours and then none the next night. I eventually had a breakdown. When I was forced to reinstate so that I could have a bed in a group home during the winter (I live in Minnesota which is about as cold as Finland) I began sleeping all the time. From 2006 to 2014, I slept between 12 and 20 hours a day. I was tired all the time, but quitting the pills is so hard. I finally did in 2014, but went 6 days without sleep and vomited all over my apartment. I feel a lot better spiritually and emotionally, but now I have the same problem you do, I do not sleep well. After 2 1/2 years of bad sleep and often no sleep, I am also beginning to have problems with my heart. I have rising blood pressure, 25 pts higher since withdrawal. I have many heart palpitations/tremors. I take Taurine which helps. I have huge bags under my eyes from lack of sleep which makes me depressed when I look in the mirror. If you decide to reinstate you may be able to sleep again, but after a while even the pills lose their ability to help with sleep. In 2014, even on Zoloft and zyprexa I started only sleeping a couple hours and having horrible nightmares as soon as I would fall asleep. It still may be worth it if you are having too much trouble sleeping, I don't know. I spent 8 years of my life in an apartment sleeping all the time from the pills, but it may be better than not sleeping like you are doing now. You might also check out DaleGarrison's introduction on this site. He is having the same problems as you from Zyprexa.

PoetJester (Derek)

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

timeline:

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

I mixed doses because i early realised i would never make it so i tried to taper it fast . side effects from reinstate: anxiety,numb/other feel one side of body,paralysed during sleep,tinnitus,strange bowel schedule etc

today i still have tinnitus and one side of body other feeling but both has improved a little bit.

also sleep wasnt that good only 4-5hr first days with zyprexa and then a little less though i never really stabilized on one dose

2015late aug-october doc helped my get some sleep with theralen and nitrazepam. i didnt like but i had to do it. had sideeffects from theralen mostly. stiffnes etc

2016may psyc ward again psychosis. slept 7hors on immovan. some night I had own sleep.

2016june after out xfrom psyc ward i had some good nights own sleep but im guessing it was accumulated leftovers of immovan that helped with that. though sleep got worse

2016july sleep 1-2hours many nights zero.

I must better my sleep so i dont fall down into psychosis again. Im thinking of taking immovan for a couple of weeks just to see if my sleep can pop up again but i guess its mostly hopes.dunno else todo.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, frasier.

I have to caution you regarding Imovane. Benzodiazepines such as nitrazepam and z-drugs such as Imovane can cause a severe dependency in as little as two weeks. I have a feeling you are experiencing withdrawal already from these drugs, and this withdrawal insomnia is just as bad as the insomnia from Zyprexa. 

Also, these drugs can cause a paradoxical reaction meaning instead of helping you sleep, it will make your insomnia worse.

Please re-read this thread, including the links on melatonin, non-drug coping skills, and guided meditations for ideas on what else you can do. 

But i need to sleep , i feel my body is screaming for it I couldnt even walk 3.5 km today. heart area is itching. Ive had this insomnia feeling with zyprexa first time I stopped CT and I was thinking the same back then that my real sleep would come back but it didnt.

• Moderator Emeritus

"Real" sleep won't come back with drugs - these drugs destroy the sleep cycle. By re-introducing benzos and z-drugs, you continue to destabilize the CNS and make it even harder to go to sleep and to stay asleep. There's also the risk of kindling, which makes each withdrawal harder than the one before.

Have you looked into more natural ways such as melatonin? Important - always start on a very low dose.

You may want to try .25 mg of melatonin, per the below guidelines.

Melatonin for Sleep

It is important to take melatonin in accordance to the natural sleep-wake cycle, or you might train your body to a different cycle. Your adrenals also run on a sleep schedule of approximately 10 p.m. to dawn. They tend to reactivate if you stay up later, which may keep you from sleeping. If you can, get to bed by 10 p.m. and retrain your sleep cycle.

According to my doctor, a sleep medicine specialist, if you've spent most of your life sleeping fairly regularly, you can get back on the neural pathways for a normal sleep cycle.

Here's how to re-establish your sleep cycle with melatonin:

- Start with .25mg-.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

- Take at the same time, nightfall (but, given that it's summer, not later than 8 p.m.), every night.

- If needed, gradually increase by .25mg for 3-4 days at a time.

- Use the lowest effective dose.

- Try to turn lights off or keep lights low after sundown. Your bedroom should be quiet and dark. Darkness triggers natural melatonin production. Artificial lighting, including staring into the computer, can give the wrong signal to your pineal gland.

- Keep to a very regular schedule -- this is what your circadian rhythm needs.

- Do NOT take melatonin regularly at any time but nightfall or you might scramble your sleep-wake cycle.

I see but I cant stand without sleep either it will turn me into psychosis or body will break down?? what if it takes 20 days until i have some more sleep. Ive been through 7 days with zero sleep and its killing.

and if i have this psychosis/ev ealry schizo diagnos maybe I cant receive back my real sleep?

First ne sleep cycle was crushed by zyprexa then made up from theralen and nitrazepam and now lastly by immovane and some stesolid. Is it even possible to restart my natural cycle after this I wonder. Last week I almost only had nights with 0-1h sleep. its scary and i dont feel it is changing so im thinking i must help it with something..

Frasier

the body can go a long time with poor sleep. It's not good for the body or mind, but they are both very durable.   I went 6 days without sleep when I quit Zoloft and zyprexa  ct .  I eventually started getting sleeps of 4 hours a night.  Many times I had to go until I would just collapse from exhaustion. 

Derek

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Derek: i tried that earlier 7-10days when i cold turkey with zyprexa. zero sleep but i also almost lost my mind. its dangerous?!

Plus during this spring (see timeline) my sleep hasnt really improved compared to when i stopped theralen/nitrazepam which makes me very doubtful...?

did your insomnia start immediately from zyprexa or did you have to wait 4weeks like I?

Anyone have this? Like your trying to think about something but you cant keep focus on it and all of sudden you visualizing an old teacher or think about a pool table. Since it distract it is very hard to get into sleep and i wonder if anyone else has this and also if so have you also had psychosis?

• Moderator Emeritus

This may be coming from your benzo and z-drug withdrawal.

This is from the Ashton Manual:

Intrusive memories. A fascinating symptom in patients undergoing benzodiazepine withdrawal is that they often mention the occurrence of what seem to be intrusive memories. Their minds will suddenly conjure up a vivid memory of someone they have not thought about or seen for years. Sometimes the other person's face will appear when looking in the mirror. The memory seems uncalled for and may recur, intruding on other thoughts. The interesting thing about these memories is that they often start to occur at the same time that vivid dreams appear; these may be delayed until one or more weeks after the dosage tapering has started. Since recent sleep research indicates that certain stages of sleep (REMS and SWS) are important for memory functions, it is likely that the dreams and the memories are connected. In both cases the phenomena may herald the beginning of a return in normal memory functions and, although sometimes disturbing, can be welcomed as a sign of a step towards recovery.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm#6

I had these really severely and it ramped up my PTSD, but most of this has resolved now. But I remember it being quite scary while it was happening. I had this more from my benzo withdrawal than I did with my antipsychotic withdrawal and I know you're also dealing with both. 

Just remind yourself that it's withdrawal and it's quite common and normal and will resolve in time. If you can look at it with an air of curiosity and not fear, that may help with any fear or discomfort.

Guided meditations may help if this is affecting sleep. As Dr. Ashton said in that quote, "the phenomena may herald the beginning of a return in normal memory functions and, although sometimes disturbing, can be welcomed as a sign of a step towards recovery."

It's part of the healing process. 

Hi Frasier,

My insomnia started immediately after I quit the zyprexa.  After 6 days without sleep, I finally started to get a little sleep.  going 7 to 10 days without sleep is dangerous.  going without sleep is never very good, but going over 7 days can be damaging to your health and mind.   Are you going to try the immovan?  It has been 2+ years since I quit zyprexa and I still think about taking Ativan or another drug for sleep even though I never want to touch a drug again.  Sometimes  a long walk (8-10 kilometers) helps me get some sleep.  so does a couple beers.   masturbating also sometimes helps me get some sleep.  I don't know what to tell you, I am not doing that good myself these days.

Derek

I often have random thoughts/memories of things that happened decades ago sometimes. I could maybe read something (for example) that will make me recall something that might have happened 10, 20 or 30 years ago. They are not always pleasant memories but they are not overwhelming. Sometimes they can be pleasant also.

I'm not sure if it's related to withdrawal or anything however. I'd imagine that most people recall long-forgotten things when the memory is triggered somehow. The sense of smell definitely brings back memories in most people. Hearing music from years back often makes me recall the period in my life when I first heard it. I'm sure that a lot of people could relate to that.

I did have so-called "psychotic" episodes a couple of times in the past by the way. I don't know if that's relevant though.

Previously - zopiclone, risperidone, lyrica (pregabalin), ativan (lorezapam)
01/Aug/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
12/Aug/2016 -  75mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
03/Oct/2016 -  70mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
29/Oct/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Nov/2016 -  65mg effexor, 4mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
25/Dec/2016 -  60mg effexor, 3.6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jan/2017 -  60mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
27/Mar/2017 -  54mg effexor, 5.25mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
23/Apr/2017 -  54mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
09/May/2017 -  75mg effexor, 7.5mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
08/Jun/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6.75mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
18/Jul/2017 -  75mg effexor, 6mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazpine
Sometimes valium. Not daily. Supplements - Sterols and Stanols.
Note : I would really hope that nobody uses my tapering history as a guideline. It might not work well for somebody else tapering similar medications.
  • Administrator

Thanks for the info.

My sleep has gone from 0 to a few hours per night. Usually 1-2 + 2-3hrs. I used Theralen(lowest amount) and Niztrazepan(lowest) to get there. Took me about 1.5months to get me there then I stopped since i thought it would sort out by itself and I was afraid of dependency.

Lately my sleep has started to get worse again and im thinking of what do do. Right now I only have a 1-2 hours. Much thanks too more sunlight which Im more sensitive to after Zyprexa.

Should i start taking sleep pills again because I dont believe in reinstate Zyprexa and by a miracle have my natural sleep returned. Is even possible that it can return? Right now it feels like I cant produce sleep anymore ..

frasier, when were you using Theralen and nitrazepam, what were the dosages?

Did you use Theralen every night? Did you use nitrazepam every night? If not, how often did you use each of them?

When was the last time you took a pill of Theralen? When was the last time you took a pill of nitrazepam?

Have you blocked out all light from your bedroom? Even a little light coming through an open door can disturb your sleep if you are sensitive to it. Also, as you are light-sensitive, you may wish to wear dark glasses much of the time, even indoors when you use the computer. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems  and the links

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Light-sensitive? Try blocking out blue light

When exactly did you get the shot of Trilafon?

What are you taking now, at what times, and what dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.