Mark and "Paxil"

43 minutes ago, Mark said:

I understand what you say.

However I hesitate because almost all 2016 I was at 20 ou 15 mg, and I havent had really improvement... Sometimes I had 2, 3, 4, days a little better where I could get out, etc, but it was endless "waves"...

It was hell, and now is super hell.  If I reinstate again, then nothing happens like previously, so I prefer stay without and see if I obtain little improvements... :(

Added to my physical symptoms, this situation gives me anxiety, despair, feelings of panic, etc

As you said, I think you understand...

yes mark but I think it would be harder without anything, I would hate to see you suffer. were all here for you no matter what you  choose.

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

49 minutes ago, Cheeky said:

yes mark but I think it would be harder without anything, I would hate to see you suffer. were all here for you no matter what you  choose.

Thanks a lot

1999-2014 : 20mg Paxil, given for "IBS"...

2014 : Reduction, day 1 20mg, day 2 10mg, day 3, 20mg etc...
End 2014-jan/feb 2015 : Reduction again, 10-5-10-5, then 5mg... Then my life turn to hell.

April 2015 : Re-start at 20mg. Symptoms not stopped...  -  June 2015 : Back to 10mg. Not Better..
Sept 2015 : Stopped. 0 Mg. Awful dizziness etc. Symptoms + weight loss     -  Nov/Dec 2015 : Trial with Escitalopram.  Not better...
Jan to June 2016 : Back to 20mg Paxil. A little better, Regain weight, but awful symptoms still here...

June to sept  : 15 mg Paxil : awful    /  oct to mid nov : 20mg : no improvement
mid nov to mid jan 2017 : Cold turkey paxil to 30Mg Duloxetine : Some little improvements in december
Mid-jan to mid march 17 : cold turkey of everything... SSRI free... : Hell
mid march to may 17 :  few week 20 mg paxil : few days better sometimes...  / mid may to end may 17 : two weeks 10 mg paxil : hell
june to mid-sept 2017 : 5mg prozac : hell
july 2019 to now : SSRI FREE : get worse, then slow improvement

Mark how are you doing?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Awful. I can't eat. Too much nausea... Dizziness... I'm dying.

End 2014-jan/feb 2015 : Reduction again, 10-5-10-5, then 5mg... Then my life turn to hell.

April 2015 : Re-start at 20mg. Symptoms not stopped...  -  June 2015 : Back to 10mg. Not Better..
Sept 2015 : Stopped. 0 Mg. Awful dizziness etc. Symptoms + weight loss     -  Nov/Dec 2015 : Trial with Escitalopram.  Not better...
Jan to June 2016 : Back to 20mg Paxil. A little better, Regain weight, but awful symptoms still here...

June to sept  : 15 mg Paxil : awful    /  oct to mid nov : 20mg : no improvement
mid nov to mid jan 2017 : Cold turkey paxil to 30Mg Duloxetine : Some little improvements in december
mid march to may 17 :  few week 20 mg paxil : few days better sometimes...  / mid may to end may 17 : two weeks 10 mg paxil : hell

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Mark how are you ?

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• 1 year later...

After almost 20 years of "Paxil", and few years of taper/reinstate/change...  my life is over.  39 years old.

Now, 5 years of dizziness/vertigo (stars when I quit paxil first time), and got worse and worse and worse. Now, it's just awful 24h/24.  I have lost everything. Almost cant walk, cant go out.  +nausea almosty everyday, sometimes vomiting   +zaps   +tinnitus... 

Every movement of my head or eyes = awful and terrific dizziness.

i think, this is forever. i will never heal. No improvement in 5 years. Just worse and worse. Whatever I do, I take, I try.

Tons of exam : ENT, MRI, neuro, etc etc. Nothing found.

I suffer hell. My best wish : to die.  Every second of my life, I wanna die, just to stop suffering hell.

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately for some people recovery may take a long time.  Altostrata, this site's founder, took many years to recover. 

☼-about-altostrata-withdrawal-syndrome-since-2004/

For members who are feeling suicidal SA suggests finding local support.

for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, Mark. Are you taking any drugs at all?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

No, I tapered a 30mg duloxetine during 1 year.  sept 2018 to july 2019 I reached 0.

Dont take anything anymore. When I reinstate, nothing better happens...

Now its hell 24h a day.

Before I had sometimes 3, 4 days better, less dizziness, less nausea.

But now, Its pure hell.  Too much nausea, cant eat a lot, 21h a day in bed.

(in the past 5 years, I have been 11 times to hospital, never found anything....)

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

@Mark, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Awful. No improvement. Now 13 month i stopped entirely sssri. Awful dizziness, constant nausea, zaps, paresthesias, etc etc. Cant get out. Im dying.

• Administrator

You went off Prozac in September 2017? When you were taking it, did it help the withdrawal symptoms from Paxil?

How did you feel while you were taking Prozac? Why did you go off?

Nothing better with prozac... :(

i dont know what to do. My life is over. I suffer hell.

Every second I pray to die. The dizziness became extreme, more and more through time. Nausea are horrible torture.

• Administrator

Okay, you did feel better when you reinstated Paxil back in March 2017. That is typical of withdrawal syndrome, reinstatement often helps.

Paxil, though, is very difficult to go off. What you might do, if you want to try this again, is take 0.5mg citalopram and see if that helps. This is an SSRI like Paxil but not as mean as Paxil or as long-lasting as Prozac.

Have you had any blood tests of your B vitamin levels lately?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Reinstatement helps a little purhaps, but i tried many time et I stay still in hell.

I also tried citalopram il the past...

Yes I had many blood tests...

I took magnesium and oil for months and months... nothing happens

I think more than 15 yo paxil, was just too much, and I will never heal. Brain damage.

• Administrator
On 8/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Altostrata said:

What you might do, if you want to try this again, is take 0.5mg citalopram and see if that helps. This is an SSRI like Paxil but not as mean as Paxil or as long-lasting as Prozac.

You probably took a larger dosage of citalopram, is that correct? A very small dose might be more acceptable to your tender nervous system. What we see is withdrawal syndrome makes people very sensitive to drugs. A little can go a long way. Your decision, though.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

I tried many times to reinstate at different dosage, and i dont see any improvement.  I doubt that such a little dose 0.5mg can do anything for me.
Question : when you reinstate, how many time to obtain an improvement ? Days ? Weeks ? Months ?

Do you think there is an end or improvement with person like me, or its forever ?

Thanks for your advices

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, Mark said:

I tried many times to reinstate at different dosage

Q:  How long did you stay on your dose (and which drug/s) when you reinstated?

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

30 minutes ago, Mark said:

Question : when you reinstate, how many time to obtain an improvement ? Days ? Weeks ? Months ?

It's a good idea to keep symptom notes on paper.  Keeping a log of your symptoms and rating them can help you see progress that you might not feel.  It helps to be more objective rather than subjective.  That is, looking at facts rather than feelings.  When we feel awful we don't always notice that one thing may have improved a tiny bit, we just feel awful.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  How long did you stay on your dose (and which drug/s) when you reinstated?

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

It's a good idea to keep symptom notes on paper.  Keeping a log of your symptoms and rating them can help you see progress that you might not feel.  It helps to be more objective rather than subjective.  That is, looking at facts rather than feelings.  When we feel awful we don't always notice that one thing may have improved a tiny bit, we just feel awful.

About 15 years paxil, then 5 years of big mess (stop and reinstate X times..., change to prozac, citalopram, duloxetine, ). Get worse and worse at each stop, each reinstate.  Big big mess. Now nothing since 13 month...  Nothing seems to abate whichever i do.

• Administrator

Yes, people are often surprised when a dose as little as 0.5mg helps their withdrawal symptoms! A little goes a long way when your nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal. If it works, you'd taper off later.

Your choice, though, there are no guarantees.

25 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, people are often surprised when a dose as little as 0.5mg helps their withdrawal symptoms! A little goes a long way when your nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal. If it works, you'd taper off later.

Your choice, though, there are no guarantees.

When reinstatement doesnt work, what to do ? To wait for withdrawal to abate by itself ?

• Administrator

Options are limited. We don't know of any immediate cures.

• Mentor

Mark. I too started and stopped Paxil about same time as you. And came off too fast around 2013. I also did the same as you dr said try this and try that with different ssris.  And yes when I would restart a ssri I didn’t see any improvement and run back to dr.  check out my signature. One big thing that helped me was information from documenting what I had been through. I finally realized that it always took me around 6 months or so to stabilize on one dose and one ssri brand. Then I could think clearly. Before I had been back and forth trying this and that before fully stabilizing. Currently I’ve been stable on lexapro for over a year and tapering slowly. I’m not talking lexapro for any reason it’s just the one I ended up on .  I know we are all different. I have experienced withdrawals but not in the Lengthy duration you have explained . From what I’ve read And experienced the only way to end withdrawals is to take an  ssri. And I’ve also read there is no guarantee . If you do reintroduce an ssri as altostrata suggested give it a lengthy time As in many months and document like a diary. Hang in there Mark!

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Administrator

Heath, you tried a lot of SSRIs at "normal" dosages after suffering Paxil withdrawal syndrome, is that correct?

What we might have suggested is taking a low dose of fluoxetine or citalopram and stick with it for a while to see what it does. Mark seems to be quite sensitized, that's why I'm suggesting his sampling citalopram, a milder SSRI than its sibling escitalopram.

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Heath, you tried a lot of SSRIs at "normal" dosages after suffering Paxil withdrawal syndrome, is that correct?

That's right...

I wondering if it's not better to take my original ssri (paxil) at low dose ?

• Administrator

Because paroxetine is so very difficult to go off, we suggest substituting a low trial dose of another SSRI, such as fluoxetine or citalopram, for reinstatement.

• Mentor

@Altostrata @Mark  yes I went to the normal dr recommended doses each time on different ssris. All the ssris worked the same for me I stabilized on each one. The only difference was they had different side effects. The reason I went through different ssris is because I would try to taper off each one and it was too fast and dr would just put me in another one. Dr doesn’t know about withdrawals. That was before I came here and learned about 10% withdrawal and adding back a little dose to eliminate withdrawal symptoms. Looking back sometimes I wished I would have told him to stick with paxil because that was what I was used to.  But I told dr I didn’t want to go back to Paxil because after years it started making me tired all the time. Basically the reason I went through those ssris is because dr didn’t know what he was doing and I didn’t either. He still doesn’t acknowledge withdrawals. Like I said I’m not suggesting lexapro it’s just the one I ended up on. All ssris should work the same the only difference being side effects. I was used to Paxil side effects. The others had different side effects so that made it a little harder and longer to stabilize on the others because I was also sensitized. I have never correctly withdrawn from Paxil so I can’t say one way or the other to go back on a little Paxil or something different. I do know from research Prozac and citalpram is easier to withdraw. If I knew what I know now I would be tapering at 10% of whatever ssri I was on. Mark I do know if you stick with one dose over time you will stabilize. What we don’t know is how long these withdrawals you are having will last after coming off too fast. I would listen to altostrata and the moderators here this is what they do. And stick with one ssri and one dose for many months and document your progress and symptoms every day. You will get through just steady I can’t say this enough same dose same ssri many months = stabilization.

2013-2018 merry go round

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Administrator

There are a lot of peculiarities to reinstatement. For some people, one SSRI can be substituted for another. For others, they need the original drug, like a key fitting into a lock.

But paroxetine is such a bear, if you're free of it, in my amateur opinion, you don't want to get entangled with it again unless absolutely necessary.

Heath, your observations about different effects of each of the SSRIs you took is interesting. Could you go into more detail about this in your own Intro topic?

Thank you both for your advices.

Altostrata. You said : "But paroxetine is such a bear, if you're free of it," ...

If i return to paroxetine, what do you think about a very low dose between 1 to 5 mg MAX, and NEVER UP beyond this dose ? And see in 6 month if I see improvement and symtoms to abate ?

• Mentor

There is a ssri dosage equivalent chart on this forum somewhere it was published I think by science direct. @Altostrata will know where it is if you need it Mark. It may help you if anything understand the strengths of different ssris. 

2013-2018 merry go round

• Administrator

Mark, I am giving you my best advice, what I would do. I would not take Paxil again. I have been talking about dosages smaller than 1mg.

@Heath dosage equivalencies are irrelevant in these situations. Mark has been off the drugs for years. There is no need for him to take a set dosage of any drug. He has already had a number of disasters with substituting other drugs. I would be very cautious and sample a very low dose, as I have explained, of anything.

59 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Mark, I am giving you my best advice, what I would do. I would not take Paxil again. I have been talking about dosages smaller than 1mg.

@Heath dosage equivalencies are irrelevant in these situations. Mark has been off the drugs for years. There is no need for him to take a set dosage of any drug. He has already had a number of disasters with substituting other drugs. I would be very cautious and sample a very low dose, as I have explained, of anything.

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Just doing some sleuthing.

Q:  Do you drink alcohol?  If yes, how much/often?