Fox: Prozac Withdrawal

Hi Fox. To answer your question about the dizziness , I honestly couldn't say but it was in the first 12 months I think . Everyone is different and times vary but most of the symptoms do tend to recede with time. It was lovely when it went as it used to stop me from doing certain things that I enjoyed.

I'm lucky in that my kids are older, but it's been difficult for my husband as well. If you can talk about it with your husband and let him know what is happening with you , it might help. I found that made a positive difference for me as well as watching a few documentaries together on the subject and reading parts of " Anatomy Of An Epidemic" by Robert Whittaker. ( Also You Tube).

Alig,

Oh how I hope the 12 months applies to me too! But like we all know, every one is different!

My kids are older, all teenagers, but they still get frustrated which is understandable, I do talk to my husband and he understands to a point. It's really the lack of sex drive that I have been left with that he struggles with.

I will look up the video you mentioned.

Prozac 10 mg 03-15 to 10-15.

Prozac 20 mg 10-15 to 12-15.

Taper prozac 01-16 to 03-16.

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fox

• O2bhappy

• downtongirl

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another quick update. Dizziness and anxiety still present for the last couple of weeks. No new symptoms and I'm happy with that. Ready to be done with this already!!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Hey Fox...been thinking about you...is your anxiety and dizziness any better at all?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Hey Downtowngirl! Yes, it is more faint but still present!! Makes it hard to concentrate or anything, it really sucks!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

I wish antidepressant withdrawals were more linear like with other medications people withdrawal from that when you start seeing progress it just keeps getting better each day until you are well....to me the fact that it seems this windows and waves crap can last a while is painful but maybe since your anxiety and dizziness is getting a little better it will just continue to do so!  I am glad you are feeling a little better!

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

Fox -

I have been dealing with anxiety during my Prozac withdrawal. I kept thinking it was internal shaking, but I am beginning to believe it is anxiety. Or should I say the internal shaking is causing my anxiety, does that make sense? I don't feel anxious but my body feels anxious. It is constant and I do not get any relief from it. How are you managing your anxiety?

I have also started noticing some weird feelings in my head/brain. Not sure what is going on, I am hoping it is my brain regeneratoring.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

I wish antidepressant withdrawals were more linear like with other medications people withdrawal from that when you start seeing progress it just keeps getting better each day until you are well....to me the fact that it seems this windows and waves crap can last a while is painful but maybe since your anxiety and dizziness is getting a little better it will just continue to do so!  I am glad you are feeling a little better!

I sure hope that's what it means! I'm so ready to be over this chapter. Hoping you are well!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

I have been dealing with anxiety during my Prozac withdrawal. I kept thinking it was internal shaking, but I am beginning to believe it is anxiety. Or should I say the internal shaking is causing my anxiety, does that make sense? I don't feel anxious but my body feels anxious. It is constant and I do not get any relief from it. How are you managing your anxiety?

I have also started noticing some weird feelings in my head/brain. Not sure what is going on, I am hoping it is my brain regeneratoring.

O2,

It makes total sense! Sometimes I won't even know that I am shaking my feet or legs and someone will say "are you okay" and then I have to question myself, am I ok? And then anxiety will follow. Weird huh. So yeah, makes total sense that the shaking can cause the anxiety.

I am managing by warm baths and getting in my warm pool every evening after work. I bought some calming essential oil yesterday and have used it all day and so far so good. It could be psychological but hey I'll take it! I hope you are doing well!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Hey y'all!! Just wanted to update here. Still anxiety and dizziness is part of my daily routine. I had my thyroid labs and the results shows my T4 is still slighty elevated. So another adjustment on my synthroid, going down this time. T4 causes anxiety but I am having a hard time believing it is my thyroid and not this WD so we shall see how this plays out.

Hoping all of you are doing well!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Maybe it is a combination of both and when you get your synthroid strength worked out then maybe that will help the withdrawal anxiety.

I sure hope so downtown

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Time for another update. The last two days have been pretty much dizzy and anxiety free but I have been very very agitated. Goodness the anger was pretty bad over the weekend. But I'm better today, more laid back I should say. I have enjoyed the 2 symptom free days but anticipate for them to start back again.

Will update again soon. I hope all of you are doing well in your recoveries!!!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Glad you had an improvement in the dizziness and anxiety....sorry about the agitation.  What does your agitation feel like?  I know that sounds like a stupid question but is it just mental agitation, physical agitation?

Downtongirl my agitation is like the extreme anger that comes from PMS. But it's very very strong and anything and everything pisses me off. I'm finding some OCD tendencies seem to set it off. I want my house, all of it, it to be spotless and perfect. I have three kids two dogs and a husband and that just ain't gonna happen. An example is if someone sits at the kitchen table and don't push their chair back in when they get up sets me off! Yeah that's rediculous I know but that's how is was/is for me when I'm in that mood.

And just as I as sure as I was enjoying two symptom free days, woke up this morning and the dizziness is back. As crazy as it sounds I almost welcome it back because if it is gone for more than a few days it catches me off guard and I seem to panic more whereas when it is consistent on a daily basis I am used to it and it's part of my day.

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

I wish the shaking would go away. I have had it since July 2015, that is when my body didn't tolerate me changing from one generic of Prozac to another. At least the tremor part of the internal shaking went away. My friend sent me some essential oils and I use them, but not sure how much they help.

My doctor thought my internal shaking and anxiety could be because of my thyroid. Since coming off Prozac my dosage has dropped two times. I went from being hypo to normal to hyper to back to normal. Changing my dosage didn't help with the internal shaking. I hope it helps you.

Sorry you are dealing with agitation. I noticed that I get agitated at small things, things that would not bother me before. I guess it is part of the neuro emotion.

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Fox -

I wish the shaking would go away. I have had it since July 2015, that is when my body didn't tolerate me changing from one generic of Prozac to another. At least the tremor part of the internal shaking went away. My friend sent me some essential oils and I use them, but not sure how much they help.

My doctor thought my internal shaking and anxiety could be because of my thyroid. Since coming off Prozac my dosage has dropped two times. I went from being hypo to normal to hyper to back to normal. Changing my dosage didn't help with the internal shaking. I hope it helps you.

Sorry you are dealing with agitation. I noticed that I get agitated at small things, things that would not bother me before. I guess it is part of the neuro emotion.

I am doing the essential oi, it's called calming oil by Nature something. It works well for me I think.

The thyroid, yes. I have changes synthroid doses 5 times now since October 2015. Down for 4 now back up. Starting to wonder if it will ever get normal again as I have never had to change doses this frequently! Every time it changes I have a small hope it will help my symptoms, but nothing yet.

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

• Mentor

Well as of last night my wonderful window came to an end. Was laying on my bed and BAM, the dizziness over came me and it was INTENSE. And of course the anxiety followed. Took a hot shower (baths and showers are my go to, at my worst I would take up to 10 baths a day!) and it helped a little. Because it was 10:30 at night I tried to lay down and the heart palps came and went. After rubbing my feet  back and forth (another strange coping technique I have come up with) for about an hour I was able to fall asleep. Woke up this am feeling a little better but anxiety still resent. Almost as if I have a hangover, weird I know.

Another thing I would like to note that I didn't think was relevant in withdrawal until now. About a month ago I woke up with what I thought was crick in my neck from perhaps sleeping the wrong way as this is not unusual for me to do from time to time. But this pain has never went away completely, only for a day or two and has since penetrated to my upper arm which makes me think I have a pinched nerve. Only because it has been going on for so long do I think it may have something to do with the WD. And after reading a few posts on here I see that it is common for people to experience muscle pain/tension in WD. I could be just over thinking things but wanted to share to see if any one can relate.

Today marks 19 WEEKS NO PROZAC for me and I have to remind myself often of where I was when I started this journey. One thing I have learned is to try to stay positive, even in the worst of times and remember, this too shall pass!

Fox I also had the sore neck,   that went away, and now upper right arm,  is really sore,   I cant lift my arm now, and to do up car seatbelt I have to use the opposite arm, about 3 months now.  Feels like I have just had like 15 vaccinations in that one spot.     I KNOW everything is related to WD,   nice to know someone else has this weird symptom.               Ear pain, is also another thing that comes and goes.  (along with all the other horrible things).

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Well as of last night my wonderful window came to an end. Was laying on my bed and BAM, the dizziness over came me and it was INTENSE. And of course the anxiety followed. Took a hot shower (baths and showers are my go to, at my worst I would take up to 10 baths a day!) and it helped a little. Because it was 10:30 at night I tried to lay down and the heart palps came and went. After rubbing my feet  back and forth (another strange coping technique I have come up with) for about an hour I was able to fall asleep. Woke up this am feeling a little better but anxiety still resent. Almost as if I have a hangover, weird I know.

Another thing I would like to note that I didn't think was relevant in withdrawal until now. About a month ago I woke up with what I thought was crick in my neck from perhaps sleeping the wrong way as this is not unusual for me to do from time to time. But this pain has never went away completely, only for a day or two and has since penetrated to my upper arm which makes me think I have a pinched nerve. Only because it has been going on for so long do I think it may have something to do with the WD. And after reading a few posts on here I see that it is common for people to experience muscle pain/tension in WD. I could be just over thinking things but wanted to share to see if any one can relate.

Today marks 19 WEEKS NO PROZAC for me and I have to remind myself often of where I was when I started this journey. One thing I have learned is to try to stay positive, even in the worst of times and remember, this too shall pass!

Fox I also had the sore neck,   that went away, and now upper right arm,  is really sore,   I cant lift my arm now, and to do up car seatbelt I have to use the opposite arm, about 3 months now.  Feels like I have just had like 15 vaccinations in that one spot.     I KNOW everything is related to WD,   nice to know someone else has this weird symptom.               Ear pain, is also another thing that comes and goes.  (along with all the other horrible things).

Hey Ang! Very weird huh! But it passed for me, finally, and it will for you too. Just another crazy symptom of the crazy, never encoding WD.

Hugs.

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

Where do you purchase your essential oils? Where do you apply them? I apply mine to the bottom of my big toe.

Your synthroid dosage has certainly changed. Five times seems like a lot since Oct. 2015. How often are they checking your blood work? Your body might need more time on a dosage before they change it.

Fox -

Where do you purchase your essential oils? Where do you apply them? I apply mine to the bottom of my big toe.

Your synthroid dosage has certainly changed. Five times seems like a lot since Oct. 2015. How often are they checking your blood work? Your body might need more time on a dosage before they change it.

O2,

I actually bought it at a local drug store. It's called calming and the brand is Natures Truth. I have been applying behind my ears and wrists. Will have to look into the bottom of toe, very interesting and seems less messy as it is very oily.

They have been checking every 6-8 weeks. Only recently have they went down, before I was hyper and getting too much which is dangerous and not fun as I'm sure you know all about. Hopefully this next time it will be stable. I feel like it anyway so we shall see.

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update and check in with everyone. Today marks 26 weeks no Prozac for me!! The dizziness and anxiety are still present. I have either learned to cope with it better or it is getting better. Either way I'm still dealing with it daily. Anger gets pretty intense right before my period so I hope that calms down. I've always had PMS which is the original reason for the Prozac so I must find alternatives for dealing with that.

I hope you all are doing well in your journey!!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Congratulations Fox on reaching 26 weeks that is 6 months right?  That is wonderful.  I hope you continue to improve.

Yes it is,downtongirl!!! Thank you!!! I hope you are doing well!!!!!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

Congratulations on 26 weeks. You should be very proud of yourself!

Has your thyroid level stabilized?

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with symptoms, especially the anxiety. I am still dealing with the anxiety and it is constant. I wish it would let up some. I have both extremes. I could cry one moment and get angry at the next. I am not sure which is worse because they are both equally bad. I have tried several techniques to help but nothing seems to really help me. I hope you have found some coping techniques.

• 3 weeks later...

Cant believe I haven't posted since September 14th! Sorry everyone. If I don't do anything else, I will make sure I am one of those that don't disappear when I am over this withdrawal.

So update. Still having the waves and windows, however my last wave only lasted a week but boy was it a hard one. I actually had 7 straight days that I felt 100% normal. Couldn't help but think it was over, but I knew better. Then out of no where the dizziness hit me out of no where yet once again! I am in the medical field and I was actually with a patient when the room started spinning and the panic and anxiety set in. Went to my office and turned my fan on until I calmed down. The dizziness went a away in a few days but the flu-like body aches and over all feeling like $hit feeling lasted a week. And let's not forget the massive headache that would not go away even with 4 motrin, and that always cures all pain with me. The pressure behind my eye felt like it was going to pop out. Then one day I woke up and all was completely normal again. Just like that, left as quick as it came. As if it was there long enough to remind me this journey is not yet over, I still have some fighting to do.

So it's been 4 days now and this window is beautiful but I will not be blind sided as I expect it to en any time. I hope you all are doing well in your healing journey and I pray and think of you often! :wub:

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

Congratulations on 26 weeks. You should be very proud of yourself!

Has your thyroid level stabilized?

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with symptoms, especially the anxiety. I am still dealing with the anxiety and it is constant. I wish it would let up some. I have both extremes. I could cry one moment and get angry at the next. I am not sure which is worse because they are both equally bad. I have tried several techniques to help but nothing seems to really help me. I hope you have found some coping techniques.

Hello O2bhappy!

Sorry for the delay in the response. Yes, I am very proud and excited but I know I have a ways to go.

My thyroid levels are not stable as of last time, I go again next week for my 8 wk check and I will post the results. I sure hope they are this time. If I had to guess I would say they will be better this time than in the past just based on my symptoms. although I do feel a little hypo lately. But to me that is much better than my hyper which really messed with my withdrawal.

I really hope you get some relief soon with the anxiety. In my opinion that was and is the worst to deal with. The depression is pretty challenging to but at least with that, well for me any way, it was a more calm situation and I could cope more. Even if all I could do was lay down and sleep or watch TV. The anxiety I would be pacing, couldn't sit still, you name it.

Sending you hugs and good vibes your way!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

Have you gotten your thyroid results back yet? I am glad your symptoms are better, with regards to your thyroid levels.

I am still dealing with the anxiety, but along with that I am still dealing with the crying and depression. One of the newest things that I have been dealing with is the regret and guilt from taking Prozac for so many years. I feel like during that time my life just slipped by me. Now I am waking up and so much has changed. I recently saw some kids that I haven't seen for years and they are now adults, it's like how did that happen. Then it makes me think that I am also getting older and there are so many things I haven't done because of my anxiety and panic. I regret giving into those feelings and not living my life. I don't know how to get past this. I'm stuck.

Thank for the hugs and good vibes. I am sending them right back to you.

Fox -

Have you gotten your thyroid results back yet? I am glad your symptoms are better, with regards to your thyroid levels.

I am still dealing with the anxiety, but along with that I am still dealing with the crying and depression. One of the newest things that I have been dealing with is the regret and guilt from taking Prozac for so many years. I feel like during that time my life just slipped by me. Now I am waking up and so much has changed. I recently saw some kids that I haven't seen for years and they are now adults, it's like how did that happen. Then it makes me think that I am also getting older and there are so many things I haven't done because of my anxiety and panic. I regret giving into those feelings and not living my life. I don't know how to get past this. I'm stuck.

Thank for the hugs and good vibes. I am sending them right back to you.

I should have them back Friday. I will post as soon as I get them.

I'm so sorry you are still dealing with the anxiety. It is still there for me too but less intense and less often and you must remind yourself that it will be that way for you soon. I know when you are in the moment it is hard to think positive. The bad thoughts consume you and takes over your mind. Keep telling yourself this too shall pass, and it will! I promise!!

We are stronger than this withdrawal and you will get through this. Just think of all of the things that you want to do when you are better. Write them down. Take baby steps. I remember when I conquered eating dinner with my family at the table instead of in my bedroom,which was my safe place in the height of my withdrawal. That was something so small looking back but such a huge deal when I wasn't able to do it. And I too have regrets but I am at ease knowing that coming off of this drug is and will be the best decision I ever made.

Keep your head up and know that I along with the members of this group are always here for support!

Sending hugs :-)

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Lab results are in and TSH now elevated. Have an appt with the endo tomorrow and very curious to see what they say. Unlevel TSH for one year now, something has to give!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

How did your appointment with the endocrinologist go? I am sure over time your levels will settle down. It took me almost nine months to get mine regulated after going off Prozac.

He actually gave me the option of staying at my current dose or going up 25 mcg.....so frustrating. Tomorrow when I have more time I'm going to post my levels with my dosage so you guys can see just what a huge impact Prozac had on my thyroid. So over this.

Hope everyone is well!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

What did you decid about changing your dosage? In all my research with Prozac and thyroid levels I actually read an article that if you take thyroid replacement medicine you shouldn't take an antidepressant. Wish I had know that sooner.

My withdrawal symptoms have gotten worse, probably caused by all the stress that I am under. Last week my beloved golden retriever passed away. I am so devasted. She was a huge support to me, especially during withdrawal and now I don't have that. I wonder everyday how I am going to get through this without her.

I decided to go back up to 162 so fingers crossed that will be my happy place. Well as far as the thyroid is concerned anyway.

I really thought my recovery was in sights as I was feeling the most normal I have since this started. But yesterday I had some dizziness and anxiety. Totally brief and very controllable, but defiantly there. My menstral cycle is due in 2 days so that may be it. But just another reminder that I'm not quite there yet.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your golden! I know how heart breaking it is. Without sounding harsh, have you thought about a new puppy? Not to replace her, but another one to feel the void so to speak. When I lost my Rottie of 10 years I was going through a really tough time. My Mom convinced me it would help if I would get another one to keep my mind busy and she was so right. It helped.

Sending healing vibes and lots of prayers your way!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Fox -

Have you noticed any changes since increasing your thyroid medication? 

I hope your dizziness and anxiety went away after you started your period. 

You are not sounding harsh by asking about a new puppy.  I am sure we will get a new puppy at some point, but I am not sure when that will be.  I understand about filling the void.  After our last golden died we got our new golden three months later.  I think that might have been too soon.  I feel like I need to heal more before starting our search.  I am still having some bad withdrawal symptoms and unfortunately since our golden died I have actually gotten some new and weird symptoms. 

Thank you for the healing vies and prayers.  I really need them.

O2b,

So far so good. Getting closer and closer to normal but not quite yet.

What new symptoms are you having now?

Last Prozac 03-14-16.

Hello to all my fellow warriors. I hope you all are doing well.

As for me, was doing really really good. October was my best month since this all started so I had high hopes I was turning a corner. Well, I did turn a corner but it was not a good one.

Last night I was hit with the strangest, strongest anxiety yet. It wasnt an attack but man was it nasty. Started with driving home from work I noticed that when I would look down at my radio or look away it felt like it would take my eyes a very long time to look back up at the windshield. That freaked me out a little but didn't pay it that much attention. Then I got home cooked dinner and ate. Sat on the couch to watch the election and then BAM! I got a knot in my throat, my heart was racing, my skin on my ears and head started tingling and I felt like I was loosing control. And the intrusive thoughts while all of this was going on. I came upstairs and took a shower. The intensity would come and go. I ended up going to sleep at 8:30 amd I didn't wake up for good until 12:30 today. That's right, 16 hours of sleep y'all! I would wake up to go to the restroom but it was like I was scared to wake up and the anxiety still be there. I didn't work today and that's just not like me.

For this to happen on the 8 1/2 month mark of my withdrawal baffles me! But then I came on here, my good ol faithful friends on this site, and was reminded that some experience waves at the 8 month mark. And then I question that I upped my synthroid about 2 weeks ago and wonder if that's it. But there was no dizziness with it this time so it's definatly different. I didn't take my synthroid dose this am so I have to figure out my next move with that.

Today I'm better. Not 100% but for sure better!

Sending healing prayers to all of you!

Last Prozac 03-14-16.