SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Does anyone forget how it feels feeling bad?

zandro

Hello,

I have a strange feeling that I can't remember how bad it feels being depressed and how anxiety was. Also I can't even remember when those problems were present, what triggered them that I couldn't stop it byself. Once you're on medication it seems like you can overcome everything. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that gives more hope to taper or if it's bad thing that once the bad hits you you'll feel more powerless than ever.

• Administrator

zandro, what are you getting at here? Do you feel good? Do you feel bad? Why do you want to remember how "bad" feels?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm feeling fine, I'm asking if it's possible these meds gives you some kind of dopamine effect that you're all good and you can't remember how bad you actually were before. Not sure if it's a comping mechanisms of the brain.

• Administrator

It's not the meds, it's the natural coping mechanisms of the mind. Would you rather be dwelling on the distress you no longer feel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm feeling fine, I'm asking if it's possible these meds gives you some kind of dopamine effect that you're all good and you can't remember how bad you actually were before. Not sure if it's a comping mechanisms of the brain.

Not necessarily dopamine effect, but I do think this is a common argument doctors use to keep patients on their drugs - by saying they just don't remember how bad it was now that they feel better. They call this 'lacking insight'. I call hogwash on that theory. I think it's natural for the human brain to "forget" [though that isn't really the right word] the severity of adverse events. Childbirth is a big one for me. I remember women saying to me when I was pregnant how horrible childbirth would be but that I would soon "forget" the pain. Well, you may not forget, but time dulls our perception of negative events. When something bad happens in your life, what do people commonly say? "Time will ease your pain." In other words, after some time to recover, it won't seem as awful as it did when you were in the middle of it.  IMHO, remembering bad events without all the negative emotion associated is what the brain does to survive and has nothing to do with the meds making you better or forgetting you were depressed.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy