SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TKR: tapered off Wellbutrin and Zyprexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey TKR, there will come a time very soon - there is a "crackdown" on - when it will be easier to get the Zyprexa than the zolpidem.

It is still not too late for you to reinstate a tiny amount of Zyprexa.  Really, you run the risk of making your suffering worse by delaying.  The window of opportunity for reinstatement is passing by, and symptoms can (I know it's hard to believe, but it's true) get worse.

Here's what I reckon happened to you:

You injured your back in 2001, were put on Oxy and Paxil.

Lots of other drugs were added and taken away in the intervening 15 years, but when they had the crackdown on pain drugs, you were pulled off the Oxy, smart-quick.  But withdrawal from Oxy is done in a month, 2 months at most.

During that withdrawal, some idiot ripped you off Paxil, too - was this because you lost your insurance?

THIS was the bad boy.  The Paxil.  Sure, you were cushioned a little bit by the Zyprexa, but then you went off that one, too, coming off Wellbutrin at the same time.

Meanwhile, every day, you have an anxiety attack from interdose withdrawal on the Zolpidem/Ambien which has a 2 hour half life.  

You are in withdrawal from several drugs, and it would be wrong to put you back on small doses of all of them.  So please consider taking the smallest possible dose of Zyprexa/olanzapine to see if it helps.  This is a better option than subjecting yourself to the hospital again, right?  I would even say (especially since you are afraid of running out of drugs), 1 mg might be just enough to take the edge off the worst of your symptoms.

It is possible to get your zyprexa for free using a patient assistance program:  https://www.pparx.org/prescription_assistance_programs/lilly_cares

This would require a doctor to prescribe 5 mg for 120 days - you don't have to take it as prescribed, just pick it up from the service provider on the required dates.  It does not have to be a psych, it can be a GP.  You do not even have to say withdrawal.  How good are your acting skills?  (you won't have to fake the distress)

Here's a possible script:  "Doctor, I was addicted to painkillers for years, and they put me on zyprexa.  I ran out a few months ago, and since then, I've had horrible symptoms.  I have no insurance, can you help me with this patient assistance program?"

It's not lying, and you get what you need.  Zyprexa is nowhere near their "alarm bells" list of "bad drugs." (zolpidem is!)  If you have a script waiting for you at the pharmacist, you can pick that one up and start making your liquid.  You will be using less than the prescribed amount, so it will last awhile - long enough for you to get your Patient Assistance Program in place for the rest of your taper.

It might not work, but - it might help.  And if you felt even just a little better, wouldn't it be worth it?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

PS - there are many people who came here after cold turkey or fast taper.

Some of them are better, and have left the site.

Many of them struggled for many years, and are our strongest voices for reinstatement.

Start by looking here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7849-cold-turkey-or-rapid-taper-success-stories/

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi TKR,

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in the Cold Turkey arena.  JanCarol has some great ideas that I hope you were able to make use of. She has been really great with the information that she has provided to me while I am going through withdrawal. I am thinking about you and hoping that you are finding some relief.  Hugs

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Well. Still alive 3 months after becoming so sick. The freightrain headache has subsided FINALLY. Still have a headache but not so intense. It even subsides for a few hours in the day.

I am still not sleeping. My body is being ravaged by insomnia and frequent lengthy all day and night panic. Its unbearable. I would go back to the Dr and get more meds honestly I can't take it but I lost my insurance. I did not reinstate any meds.

When last here I was taking 10mg of zolpidem but have reduced to 2.5mg now. No insurance or money have to. Went from months of 5 and then 10mg. to about 2 weeks on 5mg then 2 weeks on 2.5mg then 2 nights without. I took 2.5mg last night just cuz so sick.

I am weak, shaky, not sleeping, when I do sleep having terror nightmares, and INSANE AMOUNTS OF PANIC. Ive taken so much I have no clue what is hurting me now. Could be it all. Look at my list. I don't know how to deal. My husband left in the middle of the worst of it. We are barely speaking. He isn't coming home. Im not working or functioning really. My family insists I am bipolar anxious depressed whatever. Family, Dr no one will acknowledge that I am in possible withdrawal. Funny.

When Im not in a panic Im a little clearer at times. The electrical storm raging in my head has gone thankfully. Just not able to cope with the insomnia and very frequent lengthy panic. Will this ever go away? Am I doomed for a life of benzo and more? How would I even get....no insurance or money. Living a freaking nightmare. I have aged 20 years in a few months. Started NA meetings a few weeks back. My whole life has spiraled out of control. I have no control over anything. Will the panic get better?

Edited by scallywag
paragraph breaks added

Many many meds since 2001. Dont remember them all. Very sad. A nightmare.

2001-Jan 2016 4-5 3-325mg oxycodone/apap per day.

Many years alprazolam 4-10mg per day ceased Jan 2016.

Zolpidem current 10mg. Prior to that months of 10 mg trazadone. Over the years ambien

Years of neurontin, ultram, valium, wellbutrin, Tramodol, diazepam and MANY MANY OTHERS.

Many years paroxetine/paxil ended Jan 2016.

Inpatient hospitalization Jan 2016 cold turkeyed from Oxy alprazolam and paroxetine and put on serequil gabapentine and remorol. Took myself off flipped out and was hospitalized again mid Feb.

Feb 2016-May 25(?) 5/10 mgs. olanzapine/zyprexa and 150mg buproprion.

Dangerously weened myself off last 2 in a week . In trouble.

Started with chronic pain. Then told had depression anxiety insomnia..

No doctor ever explained tapering or the dangers of withdrawal. They would just switch meds. And i took it all in search of RELIEF.

• Moderator Emeritus

TKR, I'm sorry that you are still suffering with intense withdrawal symptoms.

Have you investigated the lower cost options for Zyprexa that I suggested in this post?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

** moved from new topic in Introductions forum

3 months of hell CT'g zyprexa and wellbutrin. Lost husband $ and insurance. Been weening zolpidem now at 2.5mg for about 14 days going to 0. Have to. Zolpidem not working. Have had insomnia for 3 very long horrific months. Just left a community clinic where I explained my constant PANIC and insomnia.

Dr. gave me 25mg of amytriptoline and told me to take as needed for sleep. Also gave me Busporine 15mg for my intense and lengthy panic. Told to take 1-2 per day. Said not addicting like a benzo. Cited some concern about tapering.

Im frightened to take anything! But I have not slept in 3 months. I am also in an almost constant state of panic. Anybody? Not living. Freight train headache finally left. Still get headache. At times it subsides. So not happy. Also a friend gave me a 50mg trazadone.

I need sleep so desparately I am considering cutting it to 4 halfs and taking 4 nights so I dont lose my mind. I have seriously not slept in months. Will I be able to just take 4 nights of trazadone to get some sleep? Will I get sick stopping after a few nights? I really need some sleep.

Edited by scallywag
additional paragraph breaks created

Many many meds since 2001. Dont remember them all. Very sad. A nightmare.

2001-Jan 2016 4-5 3-325mg oxycodone/apap per day.

Many years alprazolam 4-10mg per day ceased Jan 2016.

Zolpidem current 10mg. Prior to that months of 10 mg trazadone. Over the years ambien

Years of neurontin, ultram, valium, wellbutrin, Tramodol, diazepam and MANY MANY OTHERS.

Many years paroxetine/paxil ended Jan 2016.

Inpatient hospitalization Jan 2016 cold turkeyed from Oxy alprazolam and paroxetine and put on serequil gabapentine and remorol. Took myself off flipped out and was hospitalized again mid Feb.

Feb 2016-May 25(?) 5/10 mgs. olanzapine/zyprexa and 150mg buproprion.

Dangerously weened myself off last 2 in a week . In trouble.

Started with chronic pain. Then told had depression anxiety insomnia..

No doctor ever explained tapering or the dangers of withdrawal. They would just switch meds. And i took it all in search of RELIEF.

• Moderator Emeritus

TKR - I've moved your post from a new topic to YOUR Introductions topic so that all your questions and information are in one place. 

There's one introduction topic per customer. ;) Please post your questions about your situation here.

It may help if you follow and bookmark this topic:

•  
  • You may way want to follow this topic so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

• Setting this web page as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it.

When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report.  Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.

Drugs_dot_com Drugs Interactions Checker.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi TKR,

I hope that you were able to get some sleep. 

I'm also interested in how the buspirone is going for you, if you decided to take it? 

Hope you have found some relief.

Hugs

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, TKR?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to TKR: tapered off Wellbutrin and Zyprexa