Henosis: long road with Paxil ...

Henosis

• Moderator Emeritus

Henosis, could you share what kind of scale you got on eBay?  I may need to go that route soon.  My Gemini scale jumps around so much and I am getting pretty low on the Effexor beads now so don't want the inaccuracy to be what messes me up!

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 6 months later...

Thought I’d throw in an update. Still tapering quite slowly — maybe 3% every two weeks or so. Down to 1.2mg. 

It seems like a long road to get to zero, but I’m 90% reduced from when I posted originally two years ago. 👍

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia. So re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

4) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

5) May 2017 - down to 3.5mg of Paxil (no other meds)
6) Early 2018 - added 8mg of Prozac
7) January 2019 - down to 1.05 Paxil / 5mg Prozac and continuing

8) October 2019 - down to 0.2mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac

9) November 2019 - down to 0.1mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac 

10) March 2020 - done with Paxil, 2.5mg Prozac

11) April 2021 - 0.03mg Prozac

On 3/17/2018 at 12:02 PM, SquirrellyGirl said:

Henosis, could you share what kind of scale you got on eBay?  I may need to go that route soon.  My Gemini scale jumps around so much and I am getting pretty low on the Effexor beads now so don't want the inaccuracy to be what messes me up!

Mettler AE-200 analytical balance 

1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia. So re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

4) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Henosis said:

It seems like a long road to get to zero, but I’m 90% reduced from when I posted originally two years ago. 👍

Yep, definitely thumbs up.  It does seem like forever, but thinking of it like you are does make a difference. I've been tapering for 3 years now (down to 6.5mg Pristiq from 100mg) and I've still got about 2 more years to go, but I'd rather do it slowly and carefully.

Please update your signature too.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, Henosis, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Henosis, how are you doing?

Hello! Hanging in there around 1mg Paxil / 5mg Prozac.

While I’ve been eating fairly healthy, my next move is a full elimination diet this month. I’m hoping to see symptoms improve a bit with that. 

In January, I was able to meet up with some withdrawal friends in New Zealand, so that was quite an experience! It’s nice to meet people in real life you’ve been in the trenches with for years. 

• Administrator

You're gradually tapering off the Paxil?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Altostrata said:

You're gradually tapering off the Paxil?

Yes, still pressing forward after 3-4 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi henosis, 

Nice to read you’re going slow and steady. You will get there, it’s just a very long process. I’ve been tapering for many years too and have got many more to go. You’ve done really well getting the Paxil down. 

Wishing you all the best in your continued tapering💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 6 months later...

Down to 0.28mg Paxil and 3mg of Prozac. The end is almost in sight. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Henosis: long road with Paxil ...
  • Moderator Emeritus

That's great news.  Slow and steady ...

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor
16 minutes ago, Henosis said:

Down to 0.28mg Paxil and 3mg of Prozac. The end is almost in sight. 

Absolutely amazing! Great work, do you have any symptoms ?

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

20 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Absolutely amazing! Great work, do you have any symptoms ?

Occasional cognitive/neurological issues from the withdrawal and mild-to-moderate anhedonia/fatigue/lethargy (which I blame mostly on the SSRIs since it’s been like that since reinstating). 

The withdrawal symptoms come and go, like they are known to do. 

Getting anxious anticipating the end, but going to drag out the Paxil component of the taper until the end of year or just after. 

• Mentor
56 minutes ago, Henosis said:

Occasional cognitive/neurological issues from the withdrawal and mild-to-moderate anhedonia/fatigue/lethargy (which I blame mostly on the SSRIs since it’s been like that since reinstating). 

The withdrawal symptoms come and go, like they are known to do. 

Getting anxious anticipating the end, but going to drag out the Paxil component of the taper until the end of year or just after. 

That is amazing! Ya, I fast tapered and definitely paid the price. It’s getting better now, but massive fatigue is a real bummer.  Kicked my butt. Glad you are doing well! Best of luck with the remainder. Everyday that passes is another day closer to being healed! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• 1 month later...

0.1mg. Going to hold through a vacation in December and then hit the final stretch at Christmas. Will be 5 years since the first withdrawal started. Oof.

• Mentor
14 minutes ago, Henosis said:

0.1mg. Going to hold through a vacation in December and then hit the final stretch at Christmas. Will be 5 years since the first withdrawal started. Oof.

That is amazing. Long haul, but so pumped that you are near the end! Are you symptoms very minimal? 

9 minutes ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

That is amazing. Long haul, but so pumped that you are near the end! Are you symptoms very minimal? 

Ive become a lot more sensitive to various foods, but when I keep the diet on point it’s manageable. 

Mainly Increased situational anxiety, mild akathisia/restlessness, intermittent cognitive issues and blurred vision.

To be fair, none of that ever completely went away after reinstating, but it definitely oscillates in severity. 

I was one of those who had an *extremely* severe withdrawal reaction, so I do wonder if part of that will take many, many years to fully resolve, regardless of tapering. Sort of like remnants/aftershocks of an old injury.  

• Mentor
12 minutes ago, Henosis said:

Ive become a lot more sensitive to various foods, but when I keep the diet on point it’s manageable. 

Mainly Increased situational anxiety, mild akathisia/restlessness, intermittent cognitive issues and blurred vision.

To be fair, none of that ever completely went away after reinstating, but it definitely oscillates in severity. 

I was one of those who had an *extremely* severe withdrawal reaction, so I do wonder if part of that will take many, many years to fully resolve, regardless of tapering. Sort of like remnants/aftershocks of an old injury.  

Yes, I notice when my nutrition slips I get WD symptoms the next day 99% of the time. But the improvement being off this medication is absolutely mind blowing. More energy, better sleep, able to enjoy things... etc! 

All the best in your journey! 

• 9 months later...

Wow, time flies during a pandemic. 

Six months ago, I finally stopped taxing Paxil. I don’t even remember what the exact final dose was, I only know it was near immeasurable (IIRC ~0.01mg) on the scale I had to use. 

To assist in the Paxil taper, I had added a little Prozac at the end and am still tapering it. Now down to 0.25mg per day. So I’m not *completely* out of the woods yet with SSRIs but I’m getting damn close.

I still have mild symptoms come and go, but its manageable. Certainly it’s nothing like what I lived through during 2015-2018.  Cognitively, I’m mostly recovered, but never regained 100% of the mental stamina I used to have. Anxiety is not really a problem and I don’t have panic attacks or crazy DP/DR anymore. The neurological symptoms are mostly gone, I rarely feel vertigo, dizziness, RLS or the constant nerve/muscle pain. I do get blurred vision at times still (ironically as I type this it kicked in again because I ate some nuts). 

I also mostly sleep well. Sometimes I get the waking anxiety/panic feeling, but it’s rare. 

Fatigue and emotional numbing is still a challenge as always, but I blame that on the small amount of Prozac that is still floating in my brain. Reinstatement brought that on and it has rarely left ever since. I’m hoping to get back most of my energy and emotional depth when I get to totally SSRI free. For now, I find that exercise helps both.

One of the most frustrating lingering issues I’m still dealing with are the strange and evolving food sensitivities. Sugar, wheat, processed carbs, many nuts, many oils, different grains, etc can quickly set off a multitude of symptoms. Usually overbearing fatigue, malaise, blurred vision, brain fog, muscle pain, 
etc. I’m still working on understanding this and how it relates to the physiology of SSRI withdrawal.

What I went through during the initial acute phase of withdrawal all those years ago (stopping at 10mg after a decade of 30-60mg) gives me pause as to whether I’ll ever be 100%. It felt like and has continued to feel like I did some real damage back then. It’s a long story that involves delayed onset withdrawal and confounding factors (As described in my first post), but my brain was sizzling for months until I figured what the problem was.

But I refuse to be pessimistic. I’ve made it this far through years of withdrawal, reinstatement issues and then tapering again, and the final push to 0mg of Prozac is my last hurdle. 

It’s not perfect, but it’s manageable. As is life normally. Some days are ****, but most are pretty good - especially if I eat right and exercise.

I’ve met some incredible people through this experience, some of whom will be life long friends.

🙌💪

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Henosis.  This is wonderful news.  Congratulations.  Wow!  I've just found you under the Covid vaccines topic, and wanted to send you appreciation for your report on getting the second Pfizer as I'm getting mine on Monday and wondering how others with w/d are doing.  

Are you still tapering the Prozac?  How are your food allergies?  You've come such a long way.  I've grateful to read your journey.

Here's also a site to update your signature

AccountSettings/signature

I hope you're having a wonderful, wonderful night!

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• 3 months later...

0.011mg Prozac. Almost nothing.

And yet, still have the fatigue, lack of motivation, partial emotional anesthesia, sexual side effects, rarely really feel the post workout or climax dopamine, etc. feels like I’m on mostly a full dose of SSRIs still. 

I’m wondering if this is the delayed response I experienced previously, whereas the withdrawal symptom onset happened months after I stopped.

OR if the dose is so small it’s really not having an effect, and this is a post-SSRI apathy / PSSD effect. 

OR for whatever reason a tiny amount of Prozac could continue to have this effect. I do know that one 5mg dose of Paxil when I reinstated caused overwhelming fatigue, anhedonia, and emotional anesthesia. It’s almost like we become incredibly super-sensitive to these drugs after a severe discontinuation episode.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think my world will ever change on this low dose or only when I reach 0?

Given my history with delayed and severe withdrawal symptoms, I’m nervous to take the final leap. 

I'm not an expert on this since I cold-turkeyed because of the lack of insight of both my therapist and psychiatrist, but I didn't think most people felt healed when they reached  zero? I thought they had symptoms through tapering, then reached zero and still had to wait before they started feeling better? I thought the point of tapering was to have a safer  withdrawal and have perhaps less severe symptoms once they reached zero, but still have to probably go through withdrawal at zero, then start to feel better. I certainly feel like I've read enough success stories that involved tapering to think that that is generally the path. I do wish you comfort and ease at this time. 

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• 8 months later...

Have you moved to zero?  Are you free?  How do you feel now?

2010 - 2018 Zoloft 75 mg 2019 Zoloft 50mg 2019 Zoloft 25 mg

2020 Zoloft 12.5mg

2020 Switched July 6, 2020 to Lexapro 10 mg  Nov 10, 2020 5 mg 

2021 Feb 2, 2021 2.5 mg until July 24, 2021 (Date quit)

2021 Lexapro .5 mg Reinstatement Aug 18, 2021 

2021 Lexapro .42 mg Nov 16, 2021

2021 Lexapro .35 mg Dec 1, 2021

2021 Lexapro .5 mg updose Dec 11, 2021

2022 Lexapro 1.0 mg updose March 15, 2022

2022 Quit Lexapro March 19, 2022